IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel part 14

Boogalou

On 3/15/2016 at 11:08 AM, EmCatlyn said:

I understand it all except for th wrist watch.  Looser clothes, jeans skirts etc... That is just Michelle style.  

:confused2:  But what is so remarkably frumpy about wearing a wristwatch? :confused2:

I'm the original poster who brought it up. I didn't realise the watch thing was what everyone would latch on to so much.

I apologise if I wasn't clear initially, but my observation was that Jill was very much taking after Michelle and adopting a NUMBER of her personality traits/habits/appearances. I drew links to her appearances most because that was what had grabbed me the most after watching the promos a few times through, mostly commenting on the comparison of Michelle checking her watch and Jill doing the same. I was noting that they were eerily similar (to me) because I hadn't noticed that many similarities up until now.

There's absolutely nothing 'remarkably frumpy' about wearing a wristwatch. I wear one, too. I was just pointing out something I'd noticed and found interesting - that it seems Jill has adopted more of Michelle's attributes since becoming a mother and/or living in Central America. :)

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Playagirl said:

Fanny packs are perfect once your kids are out of diapers. I used one constantly when mine were little as it kept my hands free when we were out and about and it was big enough for the bare essentials. I do wish they'd come up with one slightly stylish, though. I very rarely use a purse now because I have shoulder issues so can't handle the strap, and I don't like the carry-handle ones because I prefer to keep my hands free. So I generally cram all my crap into my jacket pockets which ends up looking ridiculous.

I've been wearing a fanny pack at Disneyland/Disney World since before I had a kid...haha. I used to wear purse over one shoulder. Or a small backpack on occasion. But they were both so uncomfortable after a while. So I gave in and bought a fanny pack in the park. I will never go back. It fits everything I need (well, not so much everything now that I have a kid.) I put my phone, camera, kleenex, purell, etc in there. And I don't have to take it off to go on any of the rides. I love it and don't care how dumb I look.

Going places day to day I use a purse. But I have to admit, I kind of like when we need a stroller for places like the zoo because then I can just throw it in there instead of wearing it.

8 hours ago, Front Hugging Fiend said:

I'm the original poster who brought it up. I didn't realise the watch thing was what everyone would latch on to so much.

I apologise if I wasn't clear initially, but my observation was that Jill was very much taking after Michelle and adopting a NUMBER of her personality traits/habits/appearances. I drew links to her appearances most because that was what had grabbed me the most after watching the promos a few times through, mostly commenting on the comparison of Michelle checking her watch and Jill doing the same. I was noting that they were eerily similar (to me) because I hadn't noticed that many similarities up until now.

There's absolutely nothing 'remarkably frumpy' about wearing a wristwatch. I wear one, too. I was just pointing out something I'd noticed and found interesting - that it seems Jill has adopted more of Michelle's attributes since becoming a mother and/or living in Central America. :)

(Sorry I didn't explain that better earlier. I do find it amusing that this sparked a full on discussion on watches though. My hubby likes watches, so this would totally be his thing.)

16 hours ago, JMO said:

I haven't visited this thread in a bit.  Is Jill really going to hit Izzy's bday without announcing a pregnancy?!?!

Whether by choice or by biology, I'm hoping very much that we hit that milestone before any announcement is made by the Dills. Partly because I think it'd be nice for Israel to have that extra attention on him a bit longer, but also because it allows Jill more time to physically recover from her c-section. As much as we snark on these people, I really don't want to see Jill have a horrific outcome for her next pregnancy because she didn't wait long enough.

(Also because so many posters here were certain she'd get pregnant immediately after Izzy's birth - abd I'm kind of a jerk because I want to see that proved wrong. :pb_lol:)

It was kind of nice to see Jill & Derrick in their CA digs. Did you all catch that they took Miss Cathy b/c she speaks Spanish? It looked like Derrick was picking it up enough to get around. And I'm betting that the midwives in the prenatal clinic aren't any more certified than Jill is. They should be home in June. That's only a cpl more months. I'm betting she'll wait till then to get back on the baby train. I don't believe for even one minute that these girls aren't using birth control.

I say good to them if they are using birth control.  I hope they are and pick the size family that works for them.

2 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

And I'm betting that the midwives in the prenatal clinic aren't any more certified than Jill is. 

Why do you say that?

48 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

b/c it's a third world country.

Really? that's a fairly weak argument.  Ina May Gaskin, one of this country's leading midwives, and re-started the push for properly trained midwives in this country, did much of her training in third world countries.  She discovered that the woman and midwives there are an amazing wealth of knowledge, especially such a high percentage of woman still use midwives there. And unlike the US there is an unbroken chain of midwifery knowledge handed down through the generations.

1 hour ago, ksgranola1 said:

I'd wager that all the women at that clinic have more training then Jill does. 

27 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'd wager that all the women at that clinic have more training then Jill does. 

And, unless it's their first day on the job, more experience too.

As if CPM training isn't the equivalent of what ignorant Westerners think is typical of "third world" countries. You're talking about a twit who's teacher delivered a baby with a surprise omphalocele (implying limited prenatal care), lost her license over a baby with a GBS infection, and who herself decided to go 70 hours post ROM despite being GBS positive.

Whatever the current state of Jill's uterus, when she does get pregnant again, I think she'll hold off on announcing it. She was two weeks postdates with Israel and in an interview after the birth she expressed annoyance at all the questions and comments about how pregnant she was.

15 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

Third world countries still have quite good medical training (a lot of people go to Mexico and Thailand for medical treatment for that very reason, since the doctors are often just as well-trained as here -- in fact many train here and then go back to their home country to work, but the treatment costs a lot less and you get a vacation in the mix), and many have initiatives to increase and improve training for rural medical practitioners. And even if it's not the most state-of-the-art or formally certified knowledge, many midwives in poor rural areas are pretty skilled. I'd say more skilled than Jilly Muffin, whose mentor was utterly incompetent.

The thing is, if there's an actual clinic where Jill is, then that pretty much automatically means that the practitioners working there are trained and skilled, and that there are legal standards for who can work there. An American hick can't just show up waving a meaningless certificate around and get to attend patients. An American DOCTOR couldn't just show up to do that without taking whatever legally required steps to practice in that particular country. Now, I'm sure some of the more rural areas don't have any clinics and the only practitioners available are local midwives with no formal training, but if Jill is anywhere near a clinic then she's not as isolated as she and Derrick are pretending to be and Jill would be of absolutely no value there (but we already knew that). If we get any scenes of her in a clinic, I guarantee TLC paid them to let them pretend Jill is working there.

1 hour ago, lascuba said:

The thing is, if there's an actual clinic where Jill is, then that pretty much automatically means that the practitioners working there are trained and skilled, and that there are legal standards for who can work there. An American hick can't just show up waving a meaningless certificate around and get to attend patients. An American DOCTOR couldn't just show up to do that without taking whatever legally required steps to practice in that particular country. Now, I'm sure some of the more rural areas don't have any clinics and the only practitioners available are local midwives with no formal training, but if Jill is anywhere near a clinic then she's not as isolated as she and Derrick are pretending to be and Jill would be of absolutely no value there (but we already knew that). If we get any scenes of her in a clinic, I guarantee TLC paid them to let them pretend Jill is working there.

100% agreed.   To the bolded: No formal training maybe, but I bet you their informal, on the job training, probably passed down through previous experienced midwives, is still better than what jill got.

And if your last sentence is true, can you imagine the thoughts of the actual patients and clinic workers? "weird americans...."

On 3/15/2016 at 2:04 PM, PennySycamore said:

I've had nightgowns that had pockets.  I wore one out and my "sleeps with dogs' flannel number I got from Vermont Country Store also has them.  Pockets on a nightgown are very practical.

Yep! When shopping for new lounging pants/pajamas, I always look for pockets. Very practical, indeed!

On 3/15/2016 at 2:22 PM, ClaraOswin said:

I must be living my life wrong. I never use my pockets for anything except a grocery list. I put my phone in my purse. I don't wear a watch these days though I'm not opposed to it. I have a Fit Bit zip clipped to my pants so I look at that for the time.

I'm an odd duck though. I wear a fanny pack to Disneyland and love it. Yes, seriously.

I only carry my purse if I have my Kindle with me, otherwise I stuff phone and wallet into my jacket pockets. In summer, I stuff them in my shorts pockets. I haven't worn a watch since grad school when I got a job at a Starbucks and had to stick my hands in the sanitizer sink up to my elbows. Only worked there for a few months, but never took up the watch again as I always have my phone on me and I'd much rather just check my phone for the time than have a watch on my wrist constantly.

And for a while I carried around the huge diaper bag for two babies, then slowly went down to a few diapers stuffed into my purse, then a short phase of a few extra pairs of undies stuffed into my purse, and now I'm blessedly free of kid stuff in my purse!!!

On 3/16/2016 at 7:00 AM, VelociRapture said:

(Sorry I didn't explain that better earlier. I do find it amusing that this sparked a full on discussion on watches though. My hubby likes watches, so this would totally be his thing.)

Has your husband seen the wooden watches?? I got one for my watch wearing husband for our 5th anniversary, which was supposedly the wood year lol. It's super cool looking, IMO.

On 3/16/2016 at 9:59 AM, ksgranola1 said:

I'm betting she'll wait till then to get back on the baby train. I don't believe for even one minute that these girls aren't using birth control.

Why do you think they are using birth control? Just because they both easily got pg with their first doesn't mean their second will come as fast. They were newlyweds when they each got pregnant, now they're exhausted, have babies, the glow has worn off from the "must have all the sex" period... they probably aren't doing it half as much as they were previously (in my exhausted new mom phase experience at least!!). 

@twinmama, at first when I read that you'd kept a few pairs of undies in your purse, I thought "why would you keep panties in your purse?"  Then I realized you meant for your boys! :my_blush:

I'm a long way from having to keep kids' panties in my purse.

12 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@twinmama, at first when I read that you'd kept a few pairs of undies in your purse, I thought "why would you keep panties in your purse?"  Then I realized you meant for your boys! :my_blush:

I'm a long way from having to keep kids' panties in my purse.

lol Hey sometimes you laugh a little too hard, or cough a little hard... you know how it is! :pb_lol::pb_lol:

Logan Smith updated his instagram yesterday from El Salvador, and last week from Honduras. There was an SOS trip March 11-20, according to SOS's website, here. It would appear that Logan stayed on in "Central America" after the trip ended. 

Logan was in Springdale with the group below on March 10, so maybe some of these people went on the same trip.

I couldn't help but think of the Dillards when I was at work today - I work in a Catholic high school and the Spanish Honor Society put on a presentation about partnering with a non-profit group in Nicaragua that buys these colorful and intricately woven bracelets made by native artists, providing a free trade source of income so these people don't have to work in sweatshops, and also supporting local educational programs for the Nicaraguan people. It just struck me how these kids are reaching out to people and seeing the real life needs (fair wages, educational opportunities) and doing something about it WITHOUT actually traveling there and WITHOUT religion-based strings attached. Don't get me wrong - I know the Catholics can force religion down the throats of people in the hopes of "saving them" with the best of 'em, but more often than not I see what these high schoolers are doing, and it's just such a marked difference from the DIllards and SOS, who are actually making a difference how....??? I just wanted to share, because I was so proud of our kids, but also because I was a little annoyed to be thinking about Derick and Jill in my everyday non-Free Jinger life...

@memabelle that's really cool that the school you work for involves the kids like that! Teaches a bunch of good lessons right there. Also, I'm curious about your experience because I grew up Catholic and we were taught that we don't proselytise but show our faith through our actions. Heavy emphasis on helping the poor and everyone in need. You're supposed to do good things and if someone asks what drives you to do good, then you talk about your faith. Or if someone specifically asks...that's what I remember overall anyway. Anyone?

Are you thinking of James 2: 14 - 18?

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”  Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.

On 3/16/2016 at 0:10 AM, ClaraOswin said:

I've been wearing a fanny pack at Disneyland/Disney World since before I had a kid...haha. I used to wear purse over one shoulder. Or a small backpack on occasion. But they were both so uncomfortable after a while. So I gave in and bought a fanny pack in the park. I will never go back. It fits everything I need (well, not so much everything now that I have a kid.) I put my phone, camera, kleenex, purell, etc in there. And I don't have to take it off to go on any of the rides. I love it and don't care how dumb I look.

Going places day to day I use a purse. But I have to admit, I kind of like when we need a stroller for places like the zoo because then I can just throw it in there instead of wearing it.

Clara, my sister is the trendiest, sorority belonging, fashion forward person I know and she wore a fanny pack throughout her whole spring break trip last week. When I asked her about it she said that they are actually coming back and they were selling them on the pier of where she was staying in a bunch of cute prints. Also a bunch of her sorority sisters bought fanny packs and had their greek letters or monograms embroidered on them (just southern things). So you're in style girl :pb_lol: 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived