IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel part 14

Boogalou

3 minutes ago, Kayleigh83 said:

Although I can't really know exactly how the surgery has effected Derick's health and weight (though I'm sure it has), I think all that has gone on in his life in the past couple years has really been much more change than he was truly ready for. He went through almost losing his mom to cancer, when his father has already passed. Married an extremely conservative religious girl with the average maturity level of a 16 year old (and by extension inherited her whole family of the same flavor) after barely having any opportunity to get to know one another beyond exchanging favourite Bible verses. Then before they can blink, baby is on the way AND they decide to take off to a foreign country to be "missionaries" (I think this was an attempted escape route from said previous stresses). Oh, and his new wife's famous family went through a couple massive scandals that I am sure she had a very tough time with, so he got to figure out how to handle that as well.

I really think he's having quite a tough time coping and adjusting to all that change, as anyone would... And it's really kicking his ass right now. Jill comes from a family that suppresses emotion and "keeps sweet". Whatever is going on, it's business as usual outwardly. But I don't think Derick was raised that way, so trying to fit himself into this lifestyle with all the added stressors (like mom's illnesses and in law scandals) is really getting to him, in my opinion.

Not to mention, who can he talk to about all this stuff going on in his life? His wife is essentially a child trapped in a grown woman's body and has her own mess of psychological issues she has to deal with but won't. He's in a foreign country where he doesn't know anyone or speak the language. The missionaries he's working with are likely to just tell him to pray some more. His own family is hard to reach at times due to time difference and logistics. He's completely alone.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, InThePrayerCloset said:

Not snarking at you @Front Hugging Fiend, just truly love the freudian slip/typo/autocorrect of Jill "Morphine" into Michelle... I would certainly need some strong narcotics if i was "morphing" into Michelle  

Gotta love that autocorrect. I didn't even notice that one haha thank you!

Not even gonna edit that. That's funny. 

@VelociRapture - normally I'd agree with you there, but the Duggar Facebook just posted another photo of Israel and Jill is helping him stand. Same watch and skirt scenario. I'm probably being too nit-picky here but I've seen a lot of daughter-taking-after-mother transformations in my time and this one's got my interest. Also maybe the similar mannerisms just make it seem like a greater shift than it is?

But you're right - could just be what she's comfortable in/old posts. 

1 hour ago, Front Hugging Fiend said:

Gotta love that autocorrect. I didn't even notice that one haha thank you!

Not even gonna edit that. That's funny. 

@VelociRapture - normally I'd agree with you there, but the Duggar Facebook just posted another photo of Israel and Jill is helping him stand. Same watch and skirt scenario. I'm probably being too nit-picky here but I've seen a lot of daughter-taking-after-mother transformations in my time and this one's got my interest. Also maybe the similar mannerisms just make it seem like a greater shift than it is?

But you're right - could just be what she's comfortable in/old posts. 

I took a look out of curiosity. She may be wearing a watch, but almost all of her is cropped out of the photo. So I'm not sure how this is really a good example. We can't see her hair or shirt - which means we can't tell how baggy or fitted anything is.

(And in regards to the watch - maybe she finds it easier to use that then carrying her phone around? Not sure why since they have electricity and some access to wifi - only explanation I can think of for that is because <insert CA country> is, like, totally dangerous and they don't want anyone robbing her of her precious phone? :pb_rollseyes:)

And now I hate myself for taking those few minutes to analyze her clothing. :pb_lol:

On 3/9/2016 at 2:56 PM, EmCatlyn said:

Problem is, we don't know where he is.  I mean:

• Derek Dillard 
  • Something to do with SOS Ministries 
  • Somewhere in Central America
  • A Very Dangerous Country

is not much of an address.

Also, I bet anything that part of the problem is that Jill is the one trimming his hair. What he needs is a barber/professional hairdresser.  (I hear they have those, even in tiny villages in the wilds of Central America.

Tiny villages in the wild-with stainless steel appliances!

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

I took a look out of curiosity. She may be wearing a watch, but almost all of her is cropped out of the photo. So I'm not sure how this is really a good example. We can't see her hair or shirt - which means we can't tell how baggy or fitted anything is.

(And in regards to the watch - maybe she finds it easier to use that then carrying her phone around? Not sure why since they have electricity and some access to wifi - only explanation I can think of for that is because <insert CA country> is, like, totally dangerous and they don't want anyone robbing her of her precious phone? :pb_rollseyes:)

And now I hate myself for taking those few minutes to analyze her clothing. :pb_lol:

Are people snarking because Jill is wearing a watch instead of using a cell phone to check the time?  Or is this just because the watch is ugly?

I am confused.

I have a watch on my wrist whenever I go out.  I check the time on clocks around the house. I use my smart phone (which I generally don't carry around the house) for phoning, texting and the Internet when away from a computer... But not to check the time.  

(61 year old ancient woman here.)

45 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Are people snarking because Jill is wearing a watch instead of using a cell phone to check the time?  Or is this just because the watch is ugly?

I am confused.

I have a watch on my wrist whenever I go out.  I check the time on clocks around the house. I use my smart phone (which I generally don't carry around the house) for phoning, texting and the Internet when away from a computer... But not to check the time.  

(61 year old ancient woman here.)

No, no! Someone said they think Jill is physically starting to dress more like her mother - looser shirts, same jean skirt, crazy hair, and she's started wearing a wristwatch. Apparently Michelke does too. I was just pointing out the fact that there could be other reasons for her dressing that way or wearing a watch.

@EmCatlyn, I'm another 61 year old woman that like to wear a watch.  I don't have a smartphone -just a dumbphone- but I can't imagine always having to consult my phone for the time.  A watch is easier.  I got a new watch for my birthday.  It's got a picture of Eeyore on it.  My grandchildren will love it!

The day I retired (10 years ago), I took off my watch and have never had it back on. Other than picking up grandkids from school and meeting friends for lunch, I got no place to be at any particular time. And I have a dumbphone too. Wouldn't have even that if I didn't have to be available for "just in case" scenarios with the grandkids.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@EmCatlyn, I'm another 61 year old woman that like to wear a watch.  I don't have a smartphone -just a dumbphone- but I can't imagine always having to consult my phone for the time.  A watch is easier.  I got a new watch for my birthday.  It's got a picture of Eeyore on it.  My grandchildren will love it!

I just received a Fitbit for my 61st, and it works as a watch. I'm enjoying it for the watch aspect sd well as the rest. Too much trouble, always checking the phone. And too easy to get hooked in.

@Ungodly Grandma, I'd love to have a Fitbit! I used to have a Timex Ironman with a GPS built into it.  I could track my mileage and so forth with it.  Some idiot at a watch and clock shop at the mall installed a new battery in it and fucked it up, but that was a great watch until then.

ETA: I was at Target yesterday and this young woman had to be on her phone constantly while she was checking out.  She wasn't actually using anything on it to help her check out.  It took her longer to check out that it should have because she was too damn distracted by her phone!  The cashier was a bit annoyed.

I have always been a watch wearer, way back to elementary school. I only stopped last year when I got my Fitbit. Now I can say I am checking my steps, when I am really checking the time but trying not to be rude. Be careful though, Fitbits do cause an obsessive need to get steps to the point of walking around your bedroom before midnight to get those last couple of hundred steps to meet your goal. 

25 year old here: I wear watches for work (kindergarten) and uni  (Some lecturers  have  a "no phone policy"). 

I am sure someone mentioned it in the last 13 parts and I simply missed it, BUT WHY  is blond lighter pigmented BABY/TODDLER  Israel who lives /is forced to live in Central America never wearing a hat? Not in one (outdoor) picture?! As a rule every child has to wear a hat - winter as summer time - in the kindergarten I work at (I live in Germany).

Wearing a hat if you're fair skinned is just too intelligent. Jesus will protect him. My grandson is 2, and loves his hats. Very stylish.

12 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wearing a hat if you're fair skinned is just too intelligent. Jesus will protect him. My grandson is 2, and loves his hats. Very stylish.

sometimes they just immediately take them off, my daughter did that from about 6 months until 2ish... she was a super blondie too.

2 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

The day I retired (10 years ago), I took off my watch and have never had it back on. Other than picking up grandkids from school and meeting friends for lunch, I got no place to be at any particular time. And I have a dumbphone too. Wouldn't have even that if I didn't have to be available for "just in case" scenarios with the grandkids.

:Yes:

1 hour ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Izzy's eye looks infected in the latest photo. IMHO 

Where is this picture? I haven't seen any.

I don't think Izzie eye is anything to worry about I know in other photos it been off but for the most part I think it just things like allergies.

As for lack of of sun protection I bit it just them being complete stupid & lack of understanding. Being in the same age group as Derick I have found very little of my peers actually care about protecting their skin. I know my husband doesn't believed that he will actually have issues with being out in the sun because he black. I also know some other men who come from an. Irish background still refuse to apply sunscreen even on a day at the beach. And when  I was in middle & high school there was a large emphasis with being super tan. For example on the first day of school we would gather around with are arms out stretch just to see whom got darker. If my mother wasn't so prestent and drilling in my head every couple of days I would probably not care about applying it whenever I spend more then  10 minutes outside. So yesI believe that Dillard's are being reckless with not carrying about sun proctcetion.

Re: watch: back when i was reading the duggar blog and interested in michelle's parenting tips (this was years ago and before I knew better) one of her suggestions was mom's should always wear a watch with a timer on it. She said it's super useful.

Re: izzy's hat: yes, he should have one on outdoors where he is. But i know my kid hated hats, or anything on her head, for the first 3+ years of life, and i couldn't keep one on her to save my life.

Kids outside without hats is one of my pet peeves. My kids always took theirs off when they were little. As annoying as it was I did get a lot of exercise bending down to pick it up eleventy-billion times a day. I hate even more when I see babies outside in winter without a hat. I don't care if you're only running from the car to the store, it's bloody below zero out, plop a hat on your kid's head, cover up his ears and make sure his pants are covering his little calves before you take him out of the car.

Rant over.  Carry on...

1 hour ago, socalrules said:

I have always been a watch wearer, way back to elementary school. I only stopped last year when I got my Fitbit. Now I can say I am checking my steps, when I am really checking the time but trying not to be rude. Be careful though, Fitbits do cause an obsessive need to get steps to the point of walking around your bedroom before midnight to get those last couple of hundred steps to meet your goal. 

Just yesterday I told my family, I realized at about 11:15 at night that I was about 700 steps short. I hauled my poor little dog out of bed and took him for a last lap of the neighborhood!

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I LOVE Eeyore!

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived