IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel part 14

Boogalou

49 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

El Salvador is considered the most violent country in the northern hemisphere. US citizens don't seem to be targeted but you need to be very aware of your surroundings at all times.  I don't think I would be very comfortable living there without knowing the language. People could literally talk about robbing me right in front of me and I would probably  smile at them. 

Yes, that's what happens when your arrogant enough to think that you can go anywhere in the world you want without bothering to learn the language and think you're going to save the natives. Any danger they are in is of their making. I

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

El Salvador is considered the most violent country in the northern hemisphere. US citizens don't seem to be targeted but you need to be very aware of your surroundings at all times.  I don't think I would be very comfortable living there without knowing the language. People could literally talk about robbing me right in front of me and I would probably  smile at them. 

Something like that actually happened to me once in Mexico.   I was traveling with some American friends, not my Mexican cousins, and I was the only Spanish speaker in the group.  I am fair skinned and "dressed American" (in that context it meant less make up and jewelry than the Mexican girls).  At one point our tour guide started talking to the tour van driver, and I overheard them planning to cheat us by pretending there were fees (or higher fees) to enter some places that were covered in the tour package and take us to a cafe where they got a commission.  Anyway, I said nothing until they informed the group of the extra charge and then I challenged them.  It was fun. :smiley-signs136:

@lascuba, in the early 70s, our high school band was going to New York to march in the Salute to Israel parade in May.  Lots of kids were scared of going to New York City.  "I might get murdered!"  I'll get mugged!"  What these idiots didn't realize was that Greenville, SC had the highest murder rate in the country surpassing scary old NYC by a country mile.  These kids did't hesitate to go the Greenville shopping.

In about 2004, I was out for an early morning run when I saw what I thought was a bobcat sitting on a stump in the woods.  It was no bobcat, but an absolutely enormous housecat!  I've never seen a bigger cat.   My neighbor called it History and I believe it was our beloved Snorpi's dad.  Snorpi and his brothers were rescued ferals and Snorpi and Tom grew up to be huge cats.  My daughter still has Tom, but Snorpi went to the Bridge over a year ago.

9 hours ago, lascuba said:

The Duggar talk about "oh my god Jill and Derrick are in so much danger" is just the typical mentality of people from Bumblefuck, USA. I grew up in what many people consider "the hood," and telling people what city I'm from gets reactions like, "OMG have you ever been mugged?!" They just can't conceive that day to day life can actually be noneventful even in cities labeled dangerous.  They'd be saying the same nonsense if the Dillards were in the Bronx. To them, economically depressed area + non-white people = OMGSODANGEROUS!

Exactly.  But what do we expect from people terrified transgendered people are lurking in bathrooms to prey on little girls and trips to Walmart require critical mass (a buddy or 8).  It's skeery off the compound.  Lions and democrats and catholics, oh my!

5 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@lascuba, in the early 70s, our high school band was going to New York to march in the Salute to Israel parade in May.  Lots of kids were scared of going to New York City.  "I might get murdered!"  I'll get mugged!"  What these idiots didn't realize was that Greenville, SC had the highest murder rate in the country surpassing scary old NYC by a country mile.  These kids did't hesitate to go the Greenville shopping.

To be fair...NYC was not a nice place in the 70s. Obviously not everyone who went there got attacked somehow, but it was still pretty crime ridden. My mom went to college just outside the city and one time she and some friends were on the subway and saw someone get stabbed. I grew up in CT, so we went into the city all the time but my mom NEVER let us take the subway! Even after Disney and Guiliani cleaned the place up. I, however, have taken the subway a zillion times since growing up and the worst thing I've seen are the stupid annoying people playing music and wanting money for it. It's wall to wall people in here, can it at least be quiet please!?

about the jaguar thing, yes, :) I realised after posting that that I know those are separate from cougars but forgot to mention that that led to a discussion about big cats among us and us reading up on the different names/kinds. Tt was too late to change it and it was late/early morning and I figured someone would point it out lol.

On 3/26/2016 at 9:10 PM, 2manyKidzzz said:

The reality is there are gangs, right, but to what extent I have no idea. And I don't understand why they are there if it is really that bad, with their young son. A mystery to me. 

I don't know. Vague "danger" seems preferable to living near  Uncle Josh.

On 3/26/2016 at 0:37 AM, biblelandjunkie said:

i am shocked that Jim Bob and Michelle don't shell out some $$$ for a body guard/security for them since it is so dangerous there?

Jesus will protect them. Most of the danger is manufactured drama, I suspect.

On 3/26/2016 at 5:28 AM, MakeItSo said:

Just had this discussion with my buddies last year because we all grew up in different parts of North America and so were wondering what we each called the same feline creature that haunts some people's backyards. But I wanted to give a link, too:

"Alternative terms for cougar include puma, mountain lion, mountain cat, catamount"

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-cheetahs-cougars-jaguars-leopards-mountain-lions-panthers-pumas-lynxes-and-bobcats

This whole discussion started because one was talking about how their parents had a jaguar in the neighbourhood recently and then the other one said "oh yeah? we used to have a mountain lion that would roam around" ...and then some of us were like "pretty sure you guys are talking about the same thing." :) 

That's alright, this interests me, unlike car seats, breast feeding and baby wearing derails!

52 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

I don't know. Vague "danger" seems preferable to living near  Uncle Josh.

Jesus will protect them. Most of the danger is manufactured drama, I suspect.

Do fundies have beliefs similar to the mormons that "god protects his missionaries"? Ie that nothing will harm them while they are doing Jesus's bidding? 

ETA: I just ask because i've noticed amongst mormon missionaries that they are perfectly happy to go (or send their sons) places on missions that they would NEVER consider visiting for a holiday, like Sierra Leone, Democratic Republic of Congo, Columbia, China etc and often mention platitudes like "heavenly father protects the missionaries" I wonder if the fundies have similar attitudes about being protected whilst on "gods business"

1 minute ago, InThePrayerCloset said:

Do fundies have beliefs similar to the mormons that "god protects his missionaries"? Ie that nothing will harm them while they are doing Jesus's bidding? 

I don't know for sure. But they seem to drag Him into everything else, so maybe. 

Jinger said something about them doing Gods work and being protected in Counting on... Dangerous Spanish Speaking Cougars.

although, maybe it was Jana?

Some Jslave in eyeliner:confused2:

I'm pretty sure Cougars been making a come back for a while. Truthfully I'm shocked that Jill didn't see one during her time at Journey to the Heart because there was several confrim sightings in that area while I was in college. 

I kinda think that the Dillard's danger is comes from probably how stupid they are.

On 3/25/2016 at 2:40 PM, lascuba said:

The Duggar talk about "oh my god Jill and Derrick are in so much danger" is just the typical mentality of people from Bumblefuck, USA. I grew up in what many people consider "the hood," and telling people what city I'm from gets reactions like, "OMG have you ever been mugged?!" They just can't conceive that day to day life can actually be noneventful even in cities labeled dangerous.  They'd be saying the same nonsense if the Dillards were in the Bronx. To them, economically depressed area + non-white people = OMGSODANGEROUS!

This. In general I think that applies to a lot of people who don't travel much or have never been to big cities. There were people who asked if I was ever in danger of getting thrown into a prison camp when I was living in China. No, because 1) I'm a white American and that pretty much guarantees the US Embassy going apeshit if anything happens to me, and 2) I'm smart enough not to go around making political statements that would get me into the sort of slap-on-the-wrist trouble foreigners get into for saying stuff that gets Chinese citizens thrown into prison, or do anything flagrantly illegal (drugs, stealing, vandalism). A lot of the "OMG HORRORS ABROAD" stories you hear are either the result of a lack of common sense, or because someone was at the wrong place at the wrong time, not because a place is inherently OMGDANGEROUS (unless you're going on a vacation in Aleppo, Syria or something).

A lot of people fear the unfamiliar, and just assume that anything that isn't like the life they lead is scary and dangerous. And it goes the other way too; a Chinese friend of mine asked if she needed to buy pepper spray or something for self-defense for her trip to New York, because she heard that it was full of criminals. I told her that it was no more dangerous than Shanghai, really.

On March 24, 2016 at 6:43 AM, Ungodly Grandma said:

That's how I remember it. One nun who taught me called someone who proseltyzed "Holy Go Pius."

They taught us that if you lived your faith to the best of your ability, happily, others would want it, too.

IIRC, the Catholic Church quite a while ago agreed not to proselytize to people of other faiths. And somewhat more currently, the previous pope had a dim view of enticing people by handing out material Goods: "Charity, furthermore, cannot be used as a means of engaging in what is nowadays considered proselytism. Love is free; it is not practiced as a way of achieving other ends" Pope Benedict

This I think is a pretty good explanation of the Church's position (disclosure: I'm about as lapsed as it's possible to get): http://www.catholic.com/blog/jimmy-akin/pope-francis-on-“proselytism”

On March 27, 2016 at 8:38 AM, InThePrayerCloset said:

ETA: I just ask because i've noticed amongst mormon missionaries that they are perfectly happy to go (or send their sons) places on missions that they would NEVER consider visiting for a holiday, like Sierra Leone, Democratic Republic of Congo, Columbia, China etc and often mention platitudes like "heavenly father protects the missionaries" I wonder if the fundies have similar attitudes about being protected whilst on "gods business"

I didn't know that about the Mormons. Interesting when related to the Brussels bombings I think...

On 3/26/2016 at 1:20 PM, Grimalkin said:

Just to reinforce what you said:  https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/el-salvador-travel-warning.html

El Salvador Travel Warning

LAST UPDATED: JANUARY 15, 2016

The Department of State continues to warn U.S. citizens that crime and violence levels in El Salvador remain critically high, and U.S. citizens traveling to El Salvador should remain alert to their surroundings. This Travel Warning supersedes the Travel Warning dated June 22, 2015, and includes updated information on crime and security in El Salvador.

Tens of thousands of U.S. citizens safely visit El Salvador each year for study, tourism, cruise ship visits, business, and volunteer work.  There is no information to suggest that U.S. citizens are specifically targeted by criminals; however, crime and violence are serious problems throughout the country. Since a rise in violence in the summer of 2015, the current murder rate in El Salvador is among the highest in the world, an annual rate of 103.1 murders per 100,000 citizens for 2015. In comparison, the U.S. rate is 4.5 per 100,000.  While U.S. citizens are not singled out as targets, the pervasive violence greatly increases the chance of someone being “in the wrong place at the wrong time.”  Since January 2010, 38 U.S. citizens have been murdered in El Salvador.  During the same time period, 449 U.S. citizens reported having their passports stolen, while others were victims of violent crimes...

Wow. Their God is really challenging them. I. don't understand why they need to stay there. Derick is only preaching twice a week. What's that? About an hour total? They're not doing anything else that's helpful. Guess you're in better with God if it's dangerous.

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wow. Their God is really challenging them. I. don't understand why they need to stay there. Derick is only preaching twice a week. What's that? About an hour total? They're not doing anything else that's helpful. Guess you're in better with God if it's dangerous.

I have always felt they were just avoiding dealing with the rest of the family, except for the visits every few weeks.

Instagram pic of Derick, Jill and Izzy....Derick's hair shaggier than ever. Izzy looks cute.

Didn't see that we were discussing this picture....of course there are Insta comments asking Jill if she s preggo.

Huh. Tried to insert link to Insta photo and it wouldn't take.....

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Tens of thousands of U.S. citizens safely visit El Salvador each year for study, tourism, cruise ship visits, business, and volunteer work.

And which of these categories would the Duggars or Dillards fall under?  :kitty-wink:

23 minutes ago, notfundy said:

Instagram pic of Derick, Jill and Izzy....Derick's hair shaggier than ever. Izzy looks cute.

Didn't see that we were discussing this picture....of course there are Insta comments asking Jill if she s preggo.

Huh. Tried to insert link to Insta photo and it wouldn't take.....

It's an Easter miracle! :cracking-up: Derick trimmed his beard!

I dislike shaggy hair on men as a general rule, but Derrick looks better with it at that length/style and the trimmed beard. Or maybe it's not the longer hair that's an improvement so much as that it's just not that god-awful haircut Jill gives him. 

I actually think that hairstyle is a good look for Derrick. It looks nice to me. The beard still needs to go. It now has a patchy look.

I think Derick looks a lot healthier in this picture, and they're letting Izzy show a little leg. Maybe they're relaxing the modesty rules a bit. Not for girls, of course.

The trimmed beard looks much better.  And I don't mind his hair at all.  Kind of like it long like that.  If he swooped it to the other side, it might balance out his different size eyes more so.  

It's a nice picture of them and the first time I saw a picture of Derick and didn't that something is seriously wrong with him health wise. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived