IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel part 14

Boogalou

3 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

The bottom middle picture...he looks sickly. Poor guy.

There are 2 episodes for Jill's visit to Nepal. "Going the Distance for Love" and "The Big Question."

I had the same reaction to the Derick pictures. That one could just be an odd angle too. 

.    I am going to have to watch those you tube videos.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Derick likes the way he looks and feels comfortable in his own skin, good for him, he should do whatever makes him happy.

That said, a major decrease in hygiene or a new lack of attention to personal grooming can be a warning sign for the onset of a mental health issue.

I'm not saying Derick necessarily has a mental health problem. I don't know enough about his personal life to even speculate. What I am saying is that bringing it up isn't always just a catty comment about appearance but could actually be acknowledging a deeper issue than just how he looks.

I think the beard and generally griminess isn't probably that out of character for Derick. I have a feeling he was the same way when he was single and living in Nepal.

The weight loss is the only health-related concern I would have. He also mentioned in a post that he needed to gain weight. So at least he's aware of the issue. Hopefully he'll get it sorted out. I'm sure the mouth surgery is what caused the weight loss. And perhaps he is one of those people who struggle to gain weight.

I wonder if he's grown the beard that long almost to disguise his gauntness, or maybe the surgery means it's painful to shave.

Or it might just be that for the first time in his life, he doesn't need to 'get a haircut' for work/school whatever and he's just experimenting with it (but if he grows it longer and gets a hipster topknot, we need an intervention ;) )

(Back to snarking) Remember in Captain America, before he got bulked up and he was a scrawny version of himself. I feel like this is like the prequel to the Wolverine, maybe one day Jill will wake up and find herself married to Hugh Jackman............

I'm wondering if his appearance is going to come up at all in the new show.  I could see JB making a joke about it.  I admit it has bothered me a lot that he has changed so much since they got married-- remember this was a couple that barely knew each other before the wedding and then he started morphing into a different guy.  Maybe he always was an unkempt mountain goat but that isn't how he came across when he was courting Jill.  I don't say this in a snarky, pretend way, but I do hope she is comfortable with his new appearance and is still attracted to him because there is no out for her-- she has to be sexually available to him whether she finds him desirable or not.

I also wonder what Jim Bob thinks about Derrick's appearance. The Duggar boys/men are always so bland with their tan pants, polo shirts and conservative haircuts. They run marathons in jeans and don't wear shorts. Jill may not like Derrick's look but is she going to say anything about it? She isn't a fashionista herself but she always looks well kept. I personally couldn't deal with a man who looks like he is a castaway. I don't mind shaggy hair or a beard. I just don't like a beard that is not well taken care of. How hard is it to wash and tastefully trim your beard? Derrick just looks like he has given up. 

Derrick would never been my type but he looked much better before he was shipwrecked in Central America. He was approachable and looked like a regular guy. Now he looks like he would frighten small children. 

2 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I also wonder what Jim Bob thinks about Derrick's appearance. The Duggar boys/men are always so bland with their tan pants, polo shirts and conservative haircuts. They run marathons in jeans and don't wear shorts. Jill may not like Derrick's look but is she going to say anything about it? She isn't a fashionista herself but she always looks well kept. I personally couldn't deal with a man who looks like he is a castaway. I don't mind shaggy hair or a beard. I just don't like a beard that is not well taken care of. How hard is it to wash and tastefully trim your beard? Derrick just looks like he has given up. 

Derrick would never been my type but he looked much better before he was shipwrecked in Central America. He was approachable and looked like a regular guy. Now he looks like he would frighten small children. 

Who ran a marathon in jeans?? Yikes.

I've seen the boys wearing shorts in recent years. Did they not used to do that?

They ran in a fake race for a movie. They looked a little ridiculous in jeans. Shorts have been worn since Ben and Derick came on the scene wearing them. Not for girls, of course.

15 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Who ran a marathon in jeans?? Yikes.

I've seen the boys wearing shorts in recent years. Did they not used to do that?

There was some episode of 19KAC where JB and some of the older boys did some kind of charity race, and they made a big deal about not wearing shorts. I think the movie extras scenario came a few years later, because I remember the boys were wearing shorts, albeit absurdly long ones. The "no-shorts" rule seems to have loosened up a bit so they can seem superficially "normal," although they still seem to gravitate towards long pants as the default. JB once explain how some passage in Isaiah talks about not having your thighs naked or something like that, and from that they decided that shorts were immodest. My guess is that their "Bible teacher," Gothard, simply doesn't like shorts because they remind him of the 1960s counterculture or something like that.

The "garage door spring" was more uncomfortable than painful after the first couple of days.  I remember daughter wouldn't open her mouth the first hour because she was afraid it would hurt too much if it cranked too much.  After a week or two she was back to normal and forgot about it. 

45 minutes ago, gustava said:

Did Dillard have a beard in Nepal?

He had a bit of one, but it was more stubble than beard in the episodes from Nepal. I also remember that Jill said in the episode where JB and Derick got shaved that she liked Derick with facial hair more than clean-shaven.

After seeing all the photos of Derrick together like that, I'm seriously worried for him.  I wonder if he had the surgery because he was in pain, or because he thought (or was told) that he would look better?  Unless it takes awhile for it to work, I don't think it was successful in making him look better. I believe his braces are off, so what kind of help for his teeth and jaw could he be getting over there? Not enough IMO.  If he were my husband I would be terrified right now and getting the first plane home to get him healthy again.  I could be wrong and he could be in great health, but it sure doesn't appear that way. 

I'm so afraid that marrying into the Duggar family has done terrible harm to Derrick in so many ways. Like someone else posted, he looks like he's given up.  I can't even imagine how scared and freaked out I would be right now if he were my son and I had to see how sickly he looks. I'm very careful to stay out of my son and daughter in law's business, but if he went downhill as drastically as Derrick has, I'd for damn sure say and do something, anything!

24 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

He had a bit of one, but it was more stubble than beard in the episodes from Nepal. I also remember that Jill said in the episode where JB and Derick got shaved that she liked Derick with facial hair more than clean-shaven.

Careful what you wish for...

6 hours ago, DuggarWatch said:

Because he looks weird and he is painful to view.  I can hardly stand the sight of him now.  Bet Jill closes her eyes and turns the lights off to make 'hey/hey/hey.'

Honestly, Derrick's body looks like it can't handle to "hey hey hey" with Jill. 

On March 10, 2016 at 0:00 PM, ClaraOswin said:

I think the beard and generally griminess isn't probably that out of character for Derick. I have a feeling he was the same way when he was single and living in Nepal.

That seems to be correct, though not quite as bushy a beard. Here are two Nepal pictures off google:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hey, hey, hey. Seriously, who goes on national television and explains their code word for sex? Oh yes, the same people who dry hump in public in front of their daughter and her courting partner.

13 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Hey, hey, hey. Seriously, who goes on national television and explains their code word for sex? Oh yes, the same people who dry hump in public in front of their daughter and her courting partner.

Ugh. Blissfully, I'd forgotten about the "hey hey hey" comment until now. So gross.

I cannot imagine running any kind of distance in jeans. The chafing would be off the charts! For heaven's sake, wear running tights and if you feel like that is not modest enough wear some long running shorts over them like  a professor of Bob Jones used to do.  Or wear long running pants.  There are Chasidic rabbis that run marathons and they sure don't wear jeans.  They are dressed modestly and have their heads covered and have their tzitzit on as well, but jeans -no way!

40 minutes ago, withaj said:

Ugh. Blissfully, I'd forgotten about the "hey hey hey" comment until now. So gross.

That, along with the "If JB could be any animal, he'd be a tiger" (and JB making that sexual) thing in that game all the couples played on how well they knew each other (Duggars Say I Do, if anyone wants to watch even more pre-recorded footage cut together), is enough to put me off my dinner for a while.

On 3/10/2016 at 4:11 AM, paulypepper said:
On 3/10/2016 at 3:29 PM, PennySycamore said:

If Derick hasn't run the Kathmandu marathon, then he really shouldn't be wearing the race t-shirt.  You earn the "right" to wear the race t-shirt after you've run the race.  It's big breach of runner's etiquette, otherwise.  

Thank you! That's what I was trying to say....

It's been a while but I remember that there was something in his twitter account about him running the Kathmandu 1/2 marathon.  I went to look again and the pic at the finish line with a group of guys is still there.

12 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

I mean, I upped how many squats I did in my workout after a gentleman caller/special friend revealed that he was an ass man, but growing a Unabomber beard because your wife likes facial hair seems a bit extreme.

Derick is so cute in the Nepal pics - I'd completely forgotten what he used look like! 

I miss Cute Derick :my_cry:

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived