IGNORED

Jessa, Ben, and Spurgeon part 4

Boogalou

52 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

With the no birth control rule, how will they ever make the grade of 9 months and not pregnant? Inquiring minds need to know. 

Right. I'd like to see them try to explain how that's going to happen. 

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/23/2016 at 8:20 PM, Mela99 said:

at this rate with her reasoning and attitude - I can see Jessa not saying yes to Ben at all 

Hence birth control

I am very, very surprised that Jessa said they are interested in pursuing domestic adoption. I don't get it.... has she ever said why they are interested in adopting? I assumed they had the "saving the babies" motivation, but that totally doesn't make sense if they are going to pursue domestic infant adoption.

It does seem unlikely that adoption is going to occur unless they are using some sort of birth control, given that Spurge has to be nine months before they can start paperwork. I adopted through the foster system, so it was a bit different since we had to take classes and such, but it took six months for all our classes and homestudy to be completed and then another six months to be placed with a child.

I could see an unethical agency pushing them along faster and pushing their profiles out to get some publicity for themselves though.

I was reading about the movie The 5 Day Adoption that got released this year.  All the Duggars apparently star in it.  There's a trailer on youtube.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5478246/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

I was guessing that whatever these people did, that's what Jessa is going to do.  But I haven't heard this movie promoted so I was wondering why.  They are all in it, adoption is involved, Christian stuff is involved, why wasn't this advertised anywhere?  Or did I just miss it?

1 hour ago, anotherone said:

I was guessing that whatever these people did, that's what Jessa is going to do.  But I haven't heard this movie promoted so I was wondering why.  They are all in it, adoption is involved, Christian stuff is involved, why wasn't this advertised anywhere?  Or did I just miss it?

I haven't seen it advertised either, and I'm in Bible Belt territory a lot, so you're not alone. :)

18 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

He was 14.99 pounds and 10 inches long at birth. She had to have a c-section because of preeclampsia. So scary. He's up to 5 pounds now.

I'm guessing ounces instead of pounds, but the mental image of a 15 pound baby that is only 10 inches long is kind of hilarious. My boys were also early because of preeclampsia.

6 hours ago, scribble said:

I am very, very surprised that Jessa said they are interested in pursuing domestic adoption. I don't get it.... has she ever said why they are interested in adopting? I assumed they had the "saving the babies" motivation, but that totally doesn't make sense if they are going to pursue domestic infant adoption.

Many fundies equate domestic infant adoption with saving babies from abortion. Although obviously this is not factually true and is problematic on a number of levels, it's how they justify a "rescue" view of adoption even when they're competing in the high demand for a newborn.

It's possible they might choose another route for adoption, but I don't see how they would qualify for either foster care adoption or international adoption at this point as inexperienced parents of a young baby who have been married for about five minutes, don't have a stable independent income, and rely on others to provide their housing. The days when the Above Rubies families could go get a bunch of Liberian orphans by throwing around enough American dollars are (fortunately) past.

My guess is that if they do ever adopt, they'll either do a private adoption of a newborn or go through a domestic infant adoption agency with rules that are less stringent, then claim they saved the baby from being aborted. 

2 hours ago, twinmama said:

I'm guessing ounces instead of pounds, but the mental image of a 15 pound baby that is only 10 inches long is kind of hilarious. My boys were also early because of preeclampsia.

Haha! Yes, ounces. :)

The Spurge is 9 months in August, but they still have to wait until Nov 1, since they have to be married for 2 years, and haven't completed that feat yet.  More time to get knocked up again....

Guys, if Gothard Jesus wants them to adopt, then he'll just not bless them with a baby. Silly heathens, thinking science has anything to do with it. 

So I googled 5  Day Adoption.  It was a kickstarter project ("91 backers pledged $8,200 to help bring this project to life.")  By the way that is $8,200 total not per pledge.

From 5dayadoption.com I learned: "Thinking that their first adoption was quick, as it took only 30 days, this family prayerfully decides to start the adoption process for the second time. Little do they know that in 5 days a baby will be in their arms!...From CAT scans, FBI background checks, Home Studies, to making travel and other necessary arrangements – all in 48 hours – this family saturates all decisions with prayer and praise to God. As they obeyed, the Lord moved." CAT scans? I also learned that the child involved is a girl named Christina.

If you are interested the trailer is on YouTube.

According to Starpulse magazine:

In the film, the Todd and Barbara reveal that their first adoption took 30 days, so when they decided to adopt again, they summoned "network of Christians around the country" to speed things up. That network just happened to include Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar who got a chance to do what they enjoy most — get in front of the cameras and preach.

The McCoskeys believe the "power of prayer" and their "faith in God" made it possible to cut through the red tape and bring home a baby girl in just days instead of the normal months, and sometimes years, it takes to adopt a child — especially an infant.

The 5 Day Adoption is due out next week and can be pre-ordered for $15. There is no word on whether or not the Jim Bob and Michelle were paid or get a cut of the DVD sales for being in the film.

Wonkette has a snarky take on the Duggar involvement http://wonkette.com/596784/the-duggars-will-help-you-steal-a-baby-in-five-days-or-less-maybe

Hey, guess what ELSE you can “saturate in prayer?” Cancer, according to this book we found on Amazon called Dear God, Please Heal Mommy’s Cancer, written by the very same Donna McCoskey, unless there’s another Mrs. M, and she’s into getting saturated on by the Lord too. (snip)

Of course, the quote above mentioned “a network of Christians” besides the Duggars, and this all happened in Arkansas where skeevy lady-voiced state Rep. Justin Harris (who goes to the same Cross Church where the Dug-Dugs go) “rehomed” his adoptive children with a rapist because they were supposedly possessed by the Devil. So you’ll forgive us if we are JUST ASKING if all the kids in the Harris home are accounted for, or whether maybe the McCoskeys ended up with the latest Harris child what got infected with demons

Checking out the book on Amazon (which by the way has no reviews even though the paperback version came out in 2013) it does look like the same couple although when the book was written they only had 2 children not the 4 they have now. I still can't find out the origins of Christina so if you want to know they found this baby I guess you will just have to pony up the $15.00 for the movie.

7 minutes ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

So I googled 5  Day Adoption.  It was a kickstarter project ("91 backers pledged $8,200 to help bring this project to life.")  By the way that is $8,200 total not per pledge.

From 5dayadoption.com I learned: "Thinking that their first adoption was quick, as it took only 30 days, this family prayerfully decides to start the adoption process for the second time. Little do they know that in 5 days a baby will be in their arms!...From CAT scans, FBI background checks, Home Studies, to making travel and other necessary arrangements – all in 48 hours – this family saturates all decisions with prayer and praise to God. As they obeyed, the Lord moved." CAT scans? I also learned that the child involved is a girl named Christina.

If you are interested the trailer is on YouTube.

According to Starpulse magazine:

Wonkette has a snarky take on the Duggar involvement http://wonkette.com/596784/the-duggars-will-help-you-steal-a-baby-in-five-days-or-less-maybe

Checking out the book on Amazon (which by the way has no reviews even though the paperback version came out in 2013) it does look like the same couple although when the book was written they only had 2 children not the 4 they have now. I still can't find out the origins of Christina so if you want to know they found this baby I guess you will just have to pony up the $15.00 for the movie.

this whole idea creeps me out. There's an adoption process for a reason. It can be excruciatingly slow, inconvenient and heartbreaking when things fall through. So I can see wanting to speed things up. But the process, including wait time, is there for a reason. It's there to protect all parties involved, especially the child. Also, infants are in high demand while older children are often left to age out of the system. The wait time is there to ensure that parents who have been waiting longer, who have been working towards that goal for a long long time, don't get shortcutted by other families.  

Honestly the whole "look, we got a baby in x many days (30 or 5)" reminds me of an svu episode, where a man had an "orphanage" and was essentially enslaving young girls for reproduction so he could sell the babies to unknowing couples.  For the right price they could get a baby fast, with little red tape. And were told how they were doing a wonderful thing. But the reality was very much sinister.

5 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

So I googled 5  Day Adoption.  It was a kickstarter project ("91 backers pledged $8,200 to help bring this project to life.")  By the , Home Studies, to making travel and other necessary arrangements – all in 48 hours – this family saturates all decisions with prayer and praise to God. As they obeyed, the Lord moved." CAT scans? I

I think the CAT scans has something to do with the mother, that's how it looked on the youtube Adoption trailer. "Barbara already had additional appointments for scan treatment(?)"  So maybe she is the same woman that is written about in the Mommy's Cancer book? 

I was bothered by the fact that if I looked again at the trailer it would get more hits, but it looked like less than 2000 views.  I'm just so flabbergasted that the Duggars are in something in the video/movie realm, and it has not been promoted on their show.

6 hours ago, karen77 said:

The Spurge is 9 months in August, but they still have to wait until Nov 1, since they have to be married for 2 years, and haven't completed that feat yet.  More time to get knocked up again....

so much to say :D

It's so irresponsible that the movie promotes this rushed adoption as a positive thing. Adoption is a life-changing decision that permanently affects all involved - especially the child. The choice should be given the weight and careful consideration it deserves by all sides, not bulldozed through as quickly as possible.

The biological parents need adequate time to consider their decision free of coercion and pressure. The adoptive parents need to make sure they are willing and able to commit to parenting this child for life, and to commit to honoring the child's connections to their original family. These are huge, monumental choices, and time should not be the main factor in making them.

Pushing through an adoption quickly is not a "miracle," it's an unwise decision that may result in some very unhappy people a few months or years down the line.

@Mercer, what a great post!

Nia Vardalos wrote a book a adopting older kids called Instant Mom after she and her husband adopted a little girl from the California foster care system.  Nia would agree though that there is little instant about the adoption process. 

I realize that adopting a child and adopting a pet are vastly different, but you can bet that my husband and I talked longer than 5 days about adopting stray dogs.  

We bought a house several years ago in a part of town that was devastated by mortgage fraud.  We had many stray dogs show up at our doorstep and none of them were turned away.  We either tried to find them homes or kept them.

I don't want human kids but if I did, my own thought process would take way longer than 5 days. :P

I was adopted by my aunt and uncle and even they had to discuss it first, stop, think, and make sure that taking in two additional kids on top of their own 2 kids was going to work out. 

Blessa and Bin throwing around the word adoption as casually as they do really makes me uncomfortable.

I wish, I wish, I wish, that Arkansas had the same rule our state does: the youngest or most recently placed child in the home has to be there 18 months before an adoption will be permitted. I believe it's to prevent baby collecting. Indeed, agencies in our state have said that the couple must be "over" the  conception to birth thing... as in, not actively striving to conceive, while going through the adoption process. They consider it best for the child to be placed if the couple understands that one new little person at a time is best. As an adoptive parent, I totally understand this. A new baby or newly placed child changes things considerably! It's NOT like collecting Barbies! Each child is so different and needs different things. Phooey on baby collectors.

44 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I wish, I wish, I wish, that Arkansas had the same rule our state does: the youngest or most recently placed child in the home has to be there 18 months before an adoption will be permitted. I believe it's to prevent baby collecting. Indeed, agencies in our state have said that the couple must be "over" the  conception to birth thing... as in, not actively striving to conceive, while going through the adoption process. They consider it best for the child to be placed if the couple understands that one new little person at a time is best. As an adoptive parent, I totally understand this. A new baby or newly placed child changes things considerably! It's NOT like collecting Barbies! Each child is so different and needs different things. Phooey on baby collectors.

which again doesn't make sense - because Jessa said to #theedgypreacher in a TH during the mini series that they will have big babies 

not a big baby - Big babies - so clearly she is not over the baby collecting - so in other words Jessa will give birth to Big babies - yet collect small adopted 6 pound babies 

Well, the family that came to their house had adopted a child from Uganda, clearly an older child. Now, maybe they want to adopt a child of a different race so people will always be aware that they have adopted. Maybe I'm wrong. Jessa could clearly birth many babies, so it all seems sketchy. And the no birth control thing makes their ideas totally out of wack. 

So, I don't get it. And of course, they don't work. Real work. Whatever. 

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

In Arkansas, the child is placed in the prospective home as a foster child for at least six months during the course of the adoption process and before the legal adoption is finalized.  "Including the foster parents’ biological children, the foster home may have no more than two children under the age of two and no more than three children under the age of six."

During that 6 months, a social worker will visit and make sure everything is OK. Pediatrician visits, up to date vaccinations, etc. They will also chat with the parents to see how things are going. Sometimes what isn't said can be significant. That's my state, but I would guess that AR is similar.

I have very limited knowledge about adoption.  But after reading here for just a few minutes I'm convinced that I know more than B and J!    (Shaking my head in wonder). 

6 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Well, the family that came to their house had adopted a child from Uganda, clearly an older child. Now, maybe they want to adopt a child of a different race so people will always be aware that they have adopted. Maybe I'm wrong. Jessa could clearly birth many babies, so it all seems sketchy. And the no birth control thing makes their ideas totally out of wack. 

So, I don't get it. And of course, they don't work. Real work. Whatever. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they pursued an older child adoption.... it would give them a great headstart at creating "buddies" to take over all the duties they don't feel like doing. :pb_rollseyes:

• Criscat locked this topic

Archived