IGNORED

Jessa, Ben, and Spurgeon part 4

Boogalou

1 hour ago, Piano gal said:

When my daughter was 2 weeks old, she aspirated in her crib. On her back with nothing else in the crib. Heard a weird sound and went over there and her eyes were already rolling back in her head and she was going limp. Did CPR and got her back then went to the ER. She wasn't even due yet as she was 6 weeks early. One of the several reasons I only have one child.  Super traumatic. 

So sorry you had to go through that. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt - Cloudlet #2 was a 26-weeker who is only alive now because her dad felt something was not right when she was sleeping on his chest (and she was on his chest n the first place because he didn't feel she should be in her crib) and started cpr. When she was released with an oxygen tank and an apnea monitor, and I lamented finally having an easy-going baby who loved her sleep only to be woken up by the beeps and alarm. It did help that I could put her on her stomach since the pulse of would raise hell if anything went pear-shaped. 

I concur on the trauma - I will never forget how limp her 5-lb body looked.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, AuntCloud said:

So sorry you had to go through that. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt - Cloudlet #2 was a 26-weeker who is only alive now because her dad felt something was not right when she was sleeping on his chest (and she was on his chest n the first place because he didn't feel she should be in her crib) and started cpr. When she was released with an oxygen tank and an apnea monitor, and I lamented finally having an easy-going baby who loved her sleep only to be woken up by the beeps and alarm. It did help that I could put her on her stomach since the pulse of would raise hell if anything went pear-shaped. 

I concur on the trauma - I will never forget how limp her 5-lb body looked.

Sorry you both had to experience that. And again, I am glad things turned out okay.

took a first responder (included CPR, of course) course a couple of semesters back and even just "working" on those infant dummies was nerve wrecking, while I might know what to do if I ever find myself with an infant who is not breathing/has no pulse/chocking, I can't even imagine how traumatic the real life deal would be. My heart truly goes out to everyone who's had to do that.

Same as above. I can't imagine how scary. Especially when it's your own baby. I'm so glad you guys were able to respond and rescue your babies. 

My child/infant cpr needs a refresher. It's been a few years. 

2 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

When my first was maybe a few weeks old I had her in the co sleeper next to me, in a sleep sack thing. In the middle of the night I woke up with a sense that something was very very off.  The first thing I did was check the baby. Her face was covered by the sleep sack- I guess it was a tad too big and the front part creeped up and over her face.  She wasn't breathing right, if at all. I pulled it down and she took several big gasps of air.  I put the sleep sack away after that. In that instance I thank god i was sleeping next to her, I never would have caught that through a monitor or if she was in another room.  I was sleeping with nothing on my bed, except her co sleeper cot, with her on her back in it.

Yikes! I'm glad we never had a problem like that. So scary! We did keep our son next to the bed in a bassinet for a few months and then in a mini-crib in our room until he was a year old. His sleep sacks have always stayed in place, thankfully.

2 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Yikes! I'm glad we never had a problem like that. So scary! We did keep our son next to the bed in a bassinet for a few months and then in a mini-crib in our room until he was a year old. His sleep sacks have always stayed in place, thankfully.

It was sized 0-9 months, but clearly not safe for a younger infant. And she was a big baby. I still don't know how it happened  it was supposed to be a sleep safe suit so she was warm without blankets  

Shes never been able to sleep without close contact. For the first two weeks of life she would only fall asleep on someone's chest. And would scream bloody murder if you moved her. I was so sleep deprived. She's never been that kid who would fall asleep and you could put in a crib and leave. Instant wake up every time. She's almost four and just started sleeping in her own bed, but still needs me holding her hand to fall asleep. 

3 hours ago, DuggarWatch said:

We all know that Jessa doesn't have anything to do but take care of a baby right now, but this is without excuse in my opinion.  Here's a picture of her bedroom as it appears on this week's TLC episode.  (She knew the cameras were coming to film the bedroom on that day!) 

It's very bizarre to me that Jessa and Jill both left their houses a mess for the show. 

If making the bed and picking up isn't an everyday priority, whatever, it's their house and they can keep it how they want... I just don't get how when you're going to be on national television you don't take fifteen minutes to straight up. 

It makes me wonder if they're truly that lazy, or if they're just so accustomed to the cameras that being filmed barely registers anymore. Either way, it doesn't show them in a very positive light.

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

It's very bizarre to me that Jessa and Jill both left their houses a mess for the show. 

If making the bed and picking up isn't an everyday priority, whatever, it's their house and they can keep it how they want... I just don't get how when you're going to be on national television you don't take fifteen minutes to straight up. 

It makes me wonder if they're truly that lazy, or if they're just so accustomed to the cameras that being filmed barely registers anymore. Either way, it doesn't show them in a very positive light.

Maybe she wants the bed to look rumpled to imply something.......

28 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I have to agree - I have no clue where they get their thought processes from  

these people are the very crux  of entitlement and it just carries over into everyday life - yet they show it on television and yet nobody on the TLC staff say anything stuns me

maybe they want them to look bad - because now they do - 

it shows them as lazy, messy wonderlust people who need to be taken off the air. simple 

i am embarrassed for them 

at the very least can someone knock on the door and make their bed 

20 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Maybe she wants the bed to look rumpled to imply something.......

and I thought about that with all the pillows - because it looked like such an intimate setting - (thinking of Jill and Derick's apple valentines day and yes I am making fun  ) but ....

it was only a month after Spud was born - so it would have been too early 

2 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

It was sized 0-9 months, but clearly not safe for a younger infant. And she was a big baby. I still don't know how it happened  it was supposed to be a sleep safe suit so she was warm without blankets  

Shes never been able to sleep without close contact. For the first two weeks of life she would only fall asleep on someone's chest. And would scream bloody murder if you moved her. I was so sleep deprived. She's never been that kid who would fall asleep and you could put in a crib and leave. Instant wake up every time. She's almost four and just started sleeping in her own bed, but still needs me holding her hand to fall asleep. 

Do you by chance know what brand it was? Just wondering if it's designed the same as the ones we've used or not.

My son always slept on his own at night, for the most part (a few horrible nights here or there.) But for the first year, he only napped while being held. I honestly didn't mind much (except for the fact that our recliner became uncomfortable after many hours in it.) I would have really struggled with things if it has been like that at night.

On 20.3.2016 at 10:49 AM, DuggarWatch said:

Michelle said that her homeschooling lessons were for four hours a day.  In the U.S., the average school day is 6.75 hours per day.  The Duggar kids do not have an adequate education.

I went to a distance learning school to finish my education after I dropped out of school. They said that you can't compare learning alone to learning in a school. You need much less time for the same stuff. Can't remember the exact amount, but one or two hours were equal to several hours at a ordinary school. Of course with the Duggar education it might be different...... But normally you need less time for the same stuff learning alone, not in a school. 

EDIT: Ops, that was a few pages back... I should check how many pages follow before replying to something. My bad.

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

I think it might be part of TLC's new look-how-relatable-we-are angle. Like how Jessa is all 'I can barely cook!!'. It's almost like TLC wants college students and young people to be able to watch Counting On and be able to say 'I am SUCH a Jessa, I can't cook and my room is a tip too!'.

Either that or Jessa just doesn't care at all what the television-watching heathens think of her and Ben's housekeeping skills.

8 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

Do you by chance know what brand it was? Just wondering if it's designed the same as the ones we've used or not.

My son always slept on his own at night, for the most part (a few horrible nights here or there.) But for the first year, he only napped while being held. I honestly didn't mind much (except for the fact that our recliner became uncomfortable after many hours in it.) I would have really struggled with things if it has been like that at night.

I'm not sure :( it was awhile ago, and that size of baby clothing is packed away now.  

We've always made it work. Other than needing to be close to mom, she's always been a great sleeper, generally sleeping a solid 12 hours. Only waking to eat and go back to sleep.

9 hours ago, Mercer said:

I know. I keep wanting to reply that maybe they left it messy deliberately, but I can't figure out why. It really does seem lazy. After all, they might have a baby but each household has two unemployed/underemployed adults. Although maybe Jessa didn't make the bed b/c it is her first experience with bedclothes. Didn't someone say they slept in their clothes with no bedding?

2 hours ago, Yes, TOTALLY said:

I think it might be part of TLC's new look-how-relatable-we-are angle. Like how Jessa is all 'I can barely cook!!'. It's almost like TLC wants college students and young people to be able to watch Counting On and be able to say 'I am SUCH a Jessa, I can't cook and my room is a tip too!'.

It has to be something like that.  There is too much money at stake for TLC to allow anything that will put them in a bad light.  I'm sure everything is well scripted.  Just think how quickly they flipped back and forth about Josh, first we all forgive him, he was just a child, then to we are all teary eyed that he could DO this to all of us. Like a politician changing his views. TCL is probably studying demographics of all the viewers, finding the right age, finding any info on who befriends them on FB (your age is included), and carefully marketing the show to those viewers, including which family members, how much of JB they will tolerate, etc.   I'll bet nothing at all is left to chance.

13 hours ago, Mercer said:

Or they were given the suggestion to leave it like that by Production. The Duggars new theme whenever they do TV spots, magazine covers, etc. now is "Hey y'all, we're not perfect. We never claimed to be perfect" :violin: What better way to subtly convey that message than by having a messy house. It screams, "look we're just like you regular sinners over there!" 

Continuity wise it makes no sense since there have been multiple times in past episodes where they go on and on about the importance of keeping a godly and clean house and Michelle giving some bullshit about why we never see her cleaning is because the girls JUST LOVE TO. Unless of of course that is also a lie, and by girls she means girl, and by girl I mean Jana.

As far as not having a top sheet, I can't snark on that. I can't sleep with a top sheet. I just tangle myself up in it. And I sleep really hot so I usually just use a thin, throw-type blanket.

My dad once called in a cleaning service to clean their house as a present to my mother. My mom stayed up all night the night before scrubbing everything down because she was too embarrassed to let the people who were literally paid to clean the house see it even the slightest bit messy. How these people can feel perfectly content letting the whole world see their messy houses and unmade beds is completely beyond me.

The strange thing is that I'm pretty sure the TTH must have been kept fairly neat and with all the kids there must have been rules about making your bed as soon as you get up.  Jessa must have been raised to make her bed yet for whatever reason she has decided not to bother any more.  If TLC just randomly came up with the idea of leaving the bed messy, I certainly would give them the stink-eye as would anyone who normally made the bed.  Who thinks appearing more slovenly than they actually are is a good TV storyline? 

So putting this together-- Jessa was undoubtedly trained to make her bed every morning, now she is definitely not making the bed-- I'm guessing she is acting out as a teenager.  She is finally free of her mother's influence and she is eating and keeping house the way SHE wants to-- like a teenager experiencing life in her first apartment or college student in a dorm room.  She is also experimenting with her clothing choices so I expect to see more knees, more shorts, more shoulders, maybe even a tank top.  I just hope she flushes the toilet before the camera crew comes over.

20 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

My son is 2.5 and still sleeps in a crib with nothing. He's so used to it now. We have tried giving him a pillow but he just throws it out. Hasn't tried a blanket yet (he used a sleep sack with foot openings.)

I loved sleep sacks!!! We had the swaddle sacks so we could velcro their arms in when they were newborns. They slept with no blankets or anything until they were 1.5 or so, then they got their teddy bears that they looooooove. No blankets or pillows until they were 2.5 and went to toddler beds. At 4, I have one that sleeps with his giant stuffed Olaf literally ON his head. Drives me nuts, but I also like to sleep with a pillow on my head so what do I know.

15 hours ago, Mercer said:

You know, I think if I had been a J'slave for [what was supposed to be] my childhood, I'd be spend my early adulting days slacking off, too. For a good part of their lives, it was all tucked-in shirts, spit-shined shoes, jurisdictions, and constant housework just to keep one step ahead of the chaos... but now that don't have to do a dang thing if they don't want to. And with two adults and one baby, they do have the luxury of not needing to run their home like a machine.

Would *I* have left my home a mess if I knew a camera crew was coming over? Of course not. But, I think it's one of the few ways she have of expressing to the world that she and Ben aren't clones of JB&M (although that's debatable). The Duggar kids were actively discouraged from forming their own values and identities apart from their parents, so Jessa is probably going through now what most of us went through as teenagers.

33 minutes ago, twinmama said:

I loved sleep sacks!!! We had the swaddle sacks so we could velcro their arms in when they were newborns. They slept with no blankets or anything until they were 1.5 or so, then they got their teddy bears that they looooooove. No blankets or pillows until they were 2.5 and went to toddler beds. At 4, I have one that sleeps with his giant stuffed Olaf literally ON his head. Drives me nuts, but I also like to sleep with a pillow on my head so what do I know.

I used the swaddle ones for about a month. Then my son started working his arms out so we switched to sleep sacks with arm holes. Because I can't resist sharing a photo of my kid...here he is the last time he had a swaddle while sleeping. This was during a very short 'nap' in his Pack n Play in the living room. (Don't mind his wonky head shape...he had torticollis and a strange head shape at birth. It's all fine now though.)

swaddle1_zps8hpd8cbv.jpg

(And if anyone in "real life" recognizes my kid....hi! Don't "out" me!)

Thanks. Though I actually don't think he looks all that cute there...haha. Babies take a while to get cute, IMO. The first month or so they are so....new looking. 

Just like that meme says...they all basically look like potatoes.

• Criscat locked this topic

Archived