IGNORED

Jessa, Ben, and Spurgeon part 4

Boogalou

How can you sign termination of parental rights papers for an unborn child?  :pb_eek:

The problem of worrying about whether a parent will decide they want to raise their own child could be massively reduced if transactions weren't made concerning people who are not yet born.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Bachelor of Arts are becoming increasingly unpopular.  Bachelor of Science has more status. Also, with a Bachelor of Arts accreditation agencies expect a foreign language requirement.  Oddly enough, they no longer seem to have a math and science requirement beyond the general education courses in many B.S.  programs.  

It all comes down to the idea that a "science" is useful and practical but "arts" are, well, you know... Just imagination and stuff...  

Just the idea of a B.S, in Bible studies seems to give their anti science bias some credibility.

re: adoption.  Of course she talks about adoption.  Jessa has nothing else to plan for, look forward to, or work towards, other than a house full of children. Even if that's not what she really wants, its all she's allowed.  She has no real education, no credentials, no training. All she knows how to do, all she is remotely comfortable with, is child rearing. And it's all she's really allowed to do in terms of her gender role.  She's dreaming about a house full of kids in the same way a young person working the bottom tier of a job dreams of owning the business or managing.  Perhaps a legal aide is working towards and dreaming about becoming the head of the legal firm. Jessa can't have anything like that. She doesn't seem to have any personal goals or hobbies (sewing, knitting, cooking, biking, cross fit, belly dancing haha, raising chickens) just...nothing.  All she has is to look forward to is raising children, so that's what she thinks about.

Also, i was told by a friend that it's not uncommon to start baby fever/craving more kids when your first is still very little, under 18 months, and that it can be a sign of overwhelm.  An overwhelm that you may not even be able to admit to yourself, because in our society mom is supposed to have it all together, and shouldn't be struggling.  Especially with only one baby, and especially when your maternal example waxes on about the days she had 10 kids under 11.   It's not logical to start dreaming of baby 2 when you're overwhelmed with 1, but that's hormones and the human brain for you. Maybe you're just thinking of how easy those first weeks were, compared to having a mobile baby. Or maybe you're sugar coating future visions of you as a perfect mom of x many children, by then you'll have everything together for sure!

RE: ba vs bs.   I just have to say if he gets a bs in bible studies i'm going to be PISSED off. I struggled through chemistry classes and calculus classes as well as latin and italian classes, in order to earn a BA.  I would have had to have a lot more time in school, and a lot more science classes, in order to get the BS level of my degree. If he gets a bs without any real science, hard core classes, or pulling all nighters memorizing huge amounts of scientific information, i'm going to be jealous and pissed off.

There is no way this princess and frat boy will take on the challenges of adopting an older child and the associated mental and/or physical health issues they suffer as a result of things such as chronic neglect, ptsd, being bumped from home to home. 

If they ever do adopt, it will no doubt be a healthy newborn baby from a teenage leghumper with an unplanned pregnancy who 'wonderfully chose to give her baby life instead of murdering it with an abortion'

3 hours ago, blessalessi said:

How can you sign termination of parental rights papers for an unborn child?  :pb_eek:

The problem of worrying about whether a parent will decide they want to raise their own child could be massively reduced if transactions weren't made concerning people who are not yet born.

In the case of a pregnant woman who wants to give her child up for adoption, many times she will want to choose the adopting couple/person and whether or not it will be an open or a closed adoption.  Also, she can ask that all of her pregnancy related medical costs be paid by the adopting parent/s.  That takes some kind of contract.  Also, stipulations are usually made about what happens if the child is born with special needs and/or medical problems.  

25 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

In the case of a pregnant woman who wants to give her child up for adoption, many times she will want to choose the adopting couple/person and whether or not it will be an open or a closed adoption.  Also, she can ask that all of her pregnancy related medical costs be paid by the adopting parent/s.  That takes some kind of contract.  Also, stipulations are usually made about what happens if the child is born with special needs and/or medical problems.  

Also, the contract is by no means binding.  The mother can choose at birth not to terminate her rights or relinquish the child, and the prospective adoptive parents may not be able to recoup money spent.  It is an incredibly grey legal area since at the end of the day, you cannot trade services or financial consideration for parental rights/a child.  

In our state, a mother cannot sign to TPR until at least 48 hours after birth. There is no changing your mind unless you can prove that you only signed under duress (or fraud). 

Birth fathers can sign the papers to TPR prior to a child's birth.

When does the birth mother actually sign the legal documents required for the adoption?

A. Forty-eight (48) hours after the baby has been born or the day the birth mother has been notified in writing, either on her patient chart or in release paperwork, that she is fit to be released from the licensed hospital or birth center, whichever is earlier.

7. Can the birth mother change her mind before signing the legal consents to the adoption?

A. Yes. Florida Florida Laws - 2

8. Can the birth mother change her mind after signing the legal consents to the adoption?

A. No, unless the court finds that the consent was signed under fraud or duress. However, if the child is over six (6) months when the birth mother signs the consent, the consent is subject to a revocation period of three (3) business days.

http://harmonyfamilycenter.org/wp-content/uploads/docs/AdoptionLaws/FloridaLaws.pdf

5 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

re: adoption.  Of course she talks about adoption.  Jessa has nothing else to plan for, look forward to, or work towards, other than a house full of children. Even if that's not what she really wants, its all she's allowed.  She has no real education, no credentials, no training. All she knows how to do, all she is remotely comfortable with, is child rearing. And it's all she's really allowed to do in terms of her gender role.  She's dreaming about a house full of kids in the same way a young person working the bottom tier of a job dreams of owning the business or managing.  Perhaps a legal aide is working towards and dreaming about becoming the head of the legal firm. Jessa can't have anything like that. She doesn't seem to have any personal goals or hobbies (sewing, knitting, cooking, biking, cross fit, belly dancing haha, raising chickens) just...nothing.  All she has is to look forward to is raising children, so that's what she thinks about.

Also, i was told by a friend that it's not uncommon to start baby fever/craving more kids when your first is still very little, under 18 months, and that it can be a sign of overwhelm.  An overwhelm that you may not even be able to admit to yourself, because in our society mom is supposed to have it all together, and shouldn't be struggling.  Especially with only one baby, and especially when your maternal example waxes on about the days she had 10 kids under 11.   It's not logical to start dreaming of baby 2 when you're overwhelmed with 1, but that's hormones and the human brain for you. Maybe you're just thinking of how easy those first weeks were, compared to having a mobile baby. Or maybe you're sugar coating future visions of you as a perfect mom of x many children, by then you'll have everything together for sure!

RE: ba vs bs.   I just have to say if he gets a bs in bible studies i'm going to be PISSED off. I struggled through chemistry classes and calculus classes as well as latin and italian classes, in order to earn a BA.  I would have had to have a lot more time in school, and a lot more science classes, in order to get the BS level of my degree. If he gets a bs without any real science, hard core classes, or pulling all nighters memorizing huge amounts of scientific information, i'm going to be jealous and pissed off.

You bring up excellent points regarding Jessa's future.  While most of us at her age were planning our lives and considering different options, she's at home with baby #1, all dressed up with no place to go.

13 hours ago, marmalade said:

I refuse to give their monetized site the clicks, but I saw the picture posted on Duggar Family Official. Given the size of SES, I'd say they were down there last week when a lot of schools (including the college where I work) had Spring Break. Would Ben travel for days with "studying" to do and what Jerick claim is "faulty" internet? Around midterms, that would be stupid.

Then again, this is Ben Seewald, PhD. that we're talking about here...we'll find out soon enough how long this "school" phase lasts. I think money will win out, especially if Jill announces another pregnancy soon (and based on her Easter pic, this could be a thing). 

Wait...is Ben supposedly in school again??

1 hour ago, ClaraOswin said:

Wait...is Ben supposedly in school again??

He is supposedly taking religious classes over the Internet. :my_confused:

49 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

He is supposedly taking religious classes over the Internet. :my_confused:

For Moody Bible Institute, right?

10 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Just the idea of a B.S, in Bible studies seems to give their anti science bias some credibility.

that's what I was somewhat alluding to with my last post in this thread, too. Curious, hey?

You know, because he sounds like he is playing chubby bunny every time he talks, so he should definitely be a preacher.

I'm not even gonna comment on Bin calling spending time with his own kid "babysitting"....but I'm kind of tired of seeing dads always shown as being believed to be incapable of taking care of children on TV. And then the mom rolling her eyes and saying over and over how worried they are about leaving him alone with the kid. What a blow right in the nuts.

ETA: And I mean that in general not necessarily pertaining to Bin

Forgot to ask if anyone else's eye was twitching at the spelling on the sign on the car they were selling? Either their camera crew also received a questionable education or they noticed it and were laughing their butts off...which would be really messed up because they could have taught those kids/kidults something. I usually don't like when people point out other people's spelling/grammar mistakes (not everyone's first language is English/received a good education)  but like I mentioned there are so many people involved in making that show...you can't tell me nobody noticed that...or the messy bedroom...or the...you probably get what I'm saying. I just don't get the angle here.  (I'm about to graduate from film school with an emphasis on screenwriting and I just can't find a way to explain this)

6 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

Forgot to ask if anyone else's eye was twitching at the spelling on the sign on the car they were selling? Either their camera crew also received a questionable education or they noticed it and were laughing their butts off...which would be really messed up because they could have taught those kids/kidults something. I usually don't like when people point out other people's spelling/grammar mistakes (not everyone's first language is English/received a good education)  but like I mentioned there are so many people involved in making that show...you can't tell me nobody noticed that...or the messy bedroom...or the...you probably get what I'm saying. I just don't get the angle here.  (I'm about to graduate from film school with an emphasis on screenwriting and I just can't find a way to explain this)

I wonder if they (TLC) are mocking them with the show. Sort of a religious version of Honey Boo Boo. 

Watching Ben talk is difficult for me. He does not seem bright at all by the way he speaks. Jessa seems smarter and quicker than him. It is all so strange, but Little Spurge is absolutely adorable. 

On 3/29/2016 at 10:29 AM, quiverofdoubt said:

I'm pretty sure business degrees are all Bach. of Science (at least, all the graduates at my university's business school were given a BS).  It made me laugh, too, because you can't really get further away from science than business.  And also, we always used to mock them because they had significantly less school work than us in the Liberal Arts school.  

I'm not saying Bin is studying business, but just to clarify that BS/BA is less of a clear cut distinction than it might seem.  

10 minutes ago, RabbitKM said:

I'm pretty sure business degrees are all Bach. of Science (at least, all the graduates at my university's business school were given a BS).  It made me laugh, too, because you can't really get further away from science than business.  And also, we always used to mock them because they had significantly less school work than us in the Liberal Arts school.  

I'm not saying Bin is studying business, but just to clarify that BS/BA is less of a clear cut distinction than it might seem.  

I don't really put a lot of weight into degrees- they can't show me how much you learned, applied yourself and absorbed. Or how rigourous your education was. Or your initiative. Or much, really.  I don't consider myself  a degree snob in the least, and don't make judgements about people in regards to that piece of paper alone.  BUT I can't take an online degree from a biblical school seriously. And i'm guessing most people won't- say, when applying for a real world job, or applying for a masters/phd etc program in a secular accredited school.  Can you imagine him taking that BS degree to say Harvard med school and being like "let me in guys, I have a degree and everything"???

So no, I won't really be upset- I would just hate to think of him thinking he's better than anyone based on that education.

I think Marketing would have a lot of human psychology involved, which is probably included in many business school programs. So there's a bit of science there maybe.  And i'm sure it requires a lot of math. There's that.  But yeah, i know a lot of people who got business degrees, and communications degrees, because the work wasn't super challenging for them and they had no idea what they wanted to do.

1 hour ago, RabbitKM said:

My husband has a BS in Accounting (he holds his Masters in Accounting and earned his CPA as well.) I can seriously state he had just as much, if not more, work to do than many other majors at our College. Especially his final undergrad semester when he worked full time at a CPA firm - during Tax Season - while some how taking a full course load.

The Business School at our College was very good though - it wouldn't surprise me to know that things are different at other schools. And a lot also depends on the student. Husband had always taken education very seriously and, therefore, took great care in making sure he was doing his work properly.

And you're correct about the distinction - there are liberal arts schools that only offer BA degrees (even for biology or chemistry) and there are schools that only offer BS degrees ( even for foreign language or theatre.) 

My friend has a BS in Business and MBA. She worked her ass off for both. She had to take a lot of higher math classes for both and had a lot of projects that were difficult and time consuming. I would not say that a business degree does not involve science. They are not joke degrees. 

17 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

My husband has a BS in Accounting (he holds his Masters in Accounting and earned his CPA as well.) I can seriously state he had just as much, if not more, work to do than many other majors at our College. Especially his final undergrad semester when he worked full time at a CPA firm - during Tax Season - while some how taking a full course load.

The Business School at our College was very good though - it wouldn't surprise me to know that things are different at other schools. And a lot also depends on the student. Husband had always taken education very seriously and, therefore, took great care in making sure he was doing his work properly.

And you're correct about the distinction - there are liberal arts schools that only offer BA degrees (even for biology or chemistry) and there are schools that only offer BS degrees ( even for foreign language or theatre.) 

For us, its not that the business school is a bad school or a joke degree.  But, when you compare the curriculum with that of our liberal arts core, it simply translates to much fewer essays to write, no foreign language, only one basic science class, etc.  And don't worry! I'm not knocking business degrees! It was really just a friendly rivalry between the two schools ;) . And like it was said upthread, BA/BS distinctions don't mean much.  However, if it is a degree in biblical studies, logically speaking, it should be a BA. 

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 3:29 PM, quiverofdoubt said:

<snip>

This was absolutely true with me with both my children.  I had fairly straightforward births, both kids were breastfeeding well and sleeping a decent enough amount that I didn't feel like I was going to die.  From when they were both 6 weeks old I desperately wanted to be pregnant again.  However I used my common sense and held off a bit longer and that feeling wore off when they were about 9  months old and started moving around and wrecking the place!  I have a 3 year gap between mine and I doubt we'll have another because as much I like the idea, I still find them very overwhelming at times and I quite like the fact that they are growing up and getting a little bit easier (aged almost 5 and almost 2). 

If I had got pregnant after those few weeks I honestly dread to think what my mental health would be like.

• Criscat locked this topic

Archived