IGNORED

Jessa, Ben, and Spurgeon part 4

Boogalou

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Continuing the Insurance conversation -

I was in the ER on February 27th. Turns out I miscarried our first child, our little meatball. We're fortunate to have been given excellent care, have a great cushion in savings, and have insurance... But I'm really dreading the day we get the bill for the ER and my subsequent bloodwork in the mail. We have a HSA, so we can use that to pay for it... But it sucks so bad that this is going to put a decent dent in what we have in our account (especially because I doubt I'll be giving birth this calendar year, so it won't even help hit the deductible before I go into labor or anything.)

My sympathies go out to everyone in worse positions or who don't have insurance for any reason. I can't imagine how much more stressful this type of situation would have been. It takes an incredibly strong person to stay positive and focused during these stressful situations - I tip my hat to you all (or I would if I had a hat on.)

I'd love to see healthcare overhauled in this country - not sure how to do it, but I'd love to see more steps taken in that direction. Good health is one of those things that should be a basic human right in my opinion. Whether you live or die shouldn't be up to your insurance (or lack thereof.)

2 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I was in the ER on February 27th. Turns out I miscarried our first child, our little meatball. We're fortunate to have been given excellent care, have a great cushion in savings, and have insurance... But I'm really dreading the day we get the bill for the ER and my subsequent bloodwork in the mail. We have a HSA, so we can use that to pay for it... But it sucks so bad that this is going to put a decent dent in what we have in our account (especially because I doubt I'll be giving birth this calendar year, so it won't even help hit the deductible before I go into labor or anything.)

My sympathies go out to everyone in worse positions or who don't have insurance for any reason. I can't imagine how much more stressful this type of situation would have been. It takes an incredibly strong person to stay positive and focused during these stressful situations - I tip my hat to you all (or I would if I had a hat on.)

I'd love to see healthcare overhauled in this country - not sure how to do it, but I'd love to see more steps taken in that direction. Good health is one of those things that should be a basic human right in my opinion. Whether you live or die shouldn't be up to your insurance (or lack thereof.)

I'm so sorry to hear that. Best wishes to you and your partner, and for your continued recovery.

@VelociRapture I'm so sorry. Such an incredibly hard thing to go through. Take care of yourself and don't stress too much about the bill, you have enough to cope with.

38 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I am so sorry for your loss.  

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

This really makes me mad. You have gone thriw an awful situation, and before you have even had time to recover fully, they make you pay a crap load of money. The US system has to change. They should be thinking about health, not about their "bussines". Health is not a fucking play. This shit really makes me mad. Sorry for the rant.

Hugs to you VR

Maybe if politicians read about stories like these, they'd understand there are human faces behind the problem and treat healthcare seriously. I'm sure it's not easy to fix the healthcare system in the U.S., but you'd think some of these bigwigs could relate to loss and try to help out.

@VelociRapture,  I am so sorry for your loss.  {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

An online friend of mine died on Friday partly because she was poor.  I don't know the whole story but I do know that Tricia got less than the care she needed because of her poverty.   I hope her husband isn't slapped with a big hospital bill and furthermore he ought to sue the hospital for wrongful death.  If his wife had gotten the care she needed and deserved, she might not have had a heart attack.

I am of to PS on Tuesday for five days - just in time to return to snark on the new season :D

but i am calling a new people cover with the group on Thursday...

I will be off and on 

@Velocirapture I'm so sorry for your loss.  I had three miscarriages, two of which required no medical intervention.  The third required a D&C and the hospital bills that came rolling in after the fact sucked and made a painful experience that much worse.  The healthcare in this country needs a major overhaul and unfortunately no one seems equipped to get it done.  Again my condolences to you during this difficult time.  You never forget, but it does get easier over time. 

22 minutes ago, CinnaJen said:

@Velocirapture I'm so sorry for your loss.  I had three miscarriages, two of which required no medical intervention.  The third required a D&C and the hospital bills that came rolling in after the fact sucked and made a painful experience that much worse.  The healthcare in this country needs a major overhaul and unfortunately no one seems equipped to get it done.  Again my condolences to you during this difficult time.  You never forget, but it does get easier over time. 

Thank you. Physically I had an easy time. No intervention needed. I still need to do one last round of bloodwork, but it should be over soon.

I know how fortunate we are. We have insurance and my husband has maxed out his contributions to our account for a few years. Financially, it could be so much worse for us... And it is so much worse for so many people, which pisses me off.

Emotionally, this was tough to deal with. I can't even imagine what it's like when intervention is needed or your insurance isn't covering things or you don't have money to pay the bills. I will never be able to understand why it's ok for insurance companies to jerk people around like that in the middle of such horrible situations.

The biggest problem with insurance is that our expectations of coverage (we pay premiums, payor pays bills) and the way the facilities are set up to bill (billing payors and not individuals), is no longer the realiity of coverage.  More and more of us pay premiums and still have high deductibles, so it feels like we essentially have no coverage at all.  

@VelociRapture... I am so very sorry for your loss. I send you healing thoughts and hope you feel supported not only here, but in your daily life.

To those of you sending affirming thoughts my way: thank you. It was good to actually get it out there. I know that legally and practically it was the right thing to do, but still have a hard time with it. Teacher, eldest child, etc = an elevated sense of responsibility. (Not a sister mom, just the typical first born kid.) Anyway... I told my story for those in other countries to understand our system a bit better. I, too, think we'd be far better off with a single payer system. The ACA has done many good things, but is still deeply flawed....i.e. deductibles and prescription drug coverage. Oh...DD is 21, healthy and content, except for the terror that lurks in her heart due to job searching....college graduation will arrive in 2017. Thanks again.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Thank you. Physically I had an easy time. No intervention needed. I still need to do one last round of bloodwork, but it should be over soon.

I know how fortunate we are. We have insurance and my husband has maxed out his contributions to our account for a few years. Financially, it could be so much worse for us... And it is so much worse for so many people, which pisses me off.

Emotionally, this was tough to deal with. I can't even imagine what it's like when intervention is needed or your insurance isn't covering things or you don't have money to pay the bills. I will never be able to understand why it's ok for insurance companies to jerk people around like that in the middle of such horrible situations.

So sorry for your loss. I remember how hard it is. Warmest good wishes.

I am glad you don't have to worry about the money.

• Criscat locked this topic

Archived