IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 10: Taking Photos of Screaming Izzie

Coconut Flan

15 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

<snip>

Not offense to anybody who eats fast food when they travel, it's fine.

When I was in Russia for about a month we went to McDonald's after I had been there for 10 days. The big difference, they had fresh lettuce on the burgers. Russian food was interesting, it was nice to have familiar food once during our stay. I tried everything (including cow tongue and fish for breakfast with eyeballs still in it) but some normality was nice for that one snack. When we were in Ireland we ate local the entire time. We typically ate breakfast at the house we were staying, we went to the local store and had bread with jam and yogurt before we headed out for our daily adventure. But one day we ate out for breakfast and had Clonakilty Blackpudding. I starved until we had lunch. That was the worst breakfast I have ever had (sorry to my Irish friends here on FJ). Glad I tried it, wish I would have had a granola bar with me!

I agree with you and others, need to try the local dishes when in another area. I even like to go to non-chain restaurants when we go on vacation but some times going back to familiar food is nice.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, this is a little bit off topic. I don't usually keep up with the Jill thread, but I found something interesting at work today, and it really reminded me of Jill, so I felt compelled to share it. 

I was going through an 1893 copy of the British Medical Journal and found this tidbit 

January 28th, 1893

The Ignorance of Midwives

In the British Medical Journal for January 21st we commented on a case of puerperal fever, in which it seemed that the disease was carried from one patient to another by a midwife, and that this calamity was due to the midwives not knowing how to use antiseptics. This week we have received a report of another instance of the transmission of puerperal fever by a midwife, reported by the Glasmorgan Gazette. This case displays still grosser ignorance; for it seems as if this midwife did not know enough of her business to find out whether her lying-in patients were doing well or badly. She attended one patient on January 10th. This patient has puerperal fever and died on January 13th...Her excuse was that she did now know, at the time she attended the later cases, that the earlier one had puerperal fever. The coroner instructed the jury that the woman's ignorance of the fever was sufficient to absolve her from blame. This most ignorant woman had practised as a midwife for thirty-five years. Such a case as this surely shows the need for legislation to prevent women so ignorant as this from passing themselves off upon the poor as skilled midwives. 

First of all, it says a lot about the attitudes towards women at the time, and this definitely was a precursor to the smear campaign against midwives in the US, but I thought that last line really exemplified the problems we have with Jill and the very real risk of her working with underprivileged women. And this is from 1893. 

15 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

Regarding food and eating in foreign countries, I am somewhat obsessed with visiting supermarkets in other countries.  Often I will take a nice browse and buy various things to enjoy as snacks or light meals at my hotel.  I'm usually impressed with the different selections and choices that are available and things we don't have in the US.

This is my favorite. I can spend hours in foreign supermarkets!

2 minutes ago, IreneIssh said:

Sorry, this is a little bit off topic. I don't usually keep up with the Jill thread, but I found something interesting at work today, and it really reminded me of Jill, so I felt compelled to share it. 

I was going through an 1893 copy of the British Medical Journal and found this tidbit 

First of all, it says a lot about the attitudes towards women at the time, and this definitely was a precursor to the smear campaign against midwives in the US, but I thought that last line really exemplified the problems we have with Jill and the very real risk of her working with underprivileged women. And this is from 1893. 

I took a class in college about the history of alternative medicine in America, and we talked a lot about midwifery. I think it was a really interesting moment in history, where childbirth was very un-medical, very much an all-women's domain, and then as medicine (obviously a boy's club) advanced, midwives got a lot of power as medical providers taken away from them. There were a lot of quacks out there (like this woman) and many medical advancements saved countless babies and mothers, but at the same time, midwifery got very unfairly smeared because of misogynistic attitudes.

As far as I'm concerned, Jill is a quack who is playing Doctors and Nurses on poor women. If she had the proper training, I'd applaud her, especially if she were working with a legit NGO and doing training/skill exchange with local midwives who are going to be there permanently, but she seems more content to play White Savior, with babies and mothers' lives in the balance.

6 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I took a class in college about the history of alternative medicine in America, and we talked a lot about midwifery. I think it was a really interesting moment in history, where childbirth was very un-medical, very much an all-women's domain, and then as medicine (obviously a boy's club) advanced, midwives got a lot of power as medical providers taken away from them. There were a lot of quacks out there (like this woman) and many medical advancements saved countless babies and mothers, but at the same time, midwifery got very unfairly smeared because of misogynistic attitudes.

As far as I'm concerned, Jill is a quack who is playing Doctors and Nurses on poor women. If she had the proper training, I'd applaud her, especially if she were working with a legit NGO and doing training/skill exchange with local midwives who are going to be there permanently, but she seems more content to play White Savior, with babies and mothers' lives in the balance.

Wow! That sounds like a really interesting class. Honestly, I first learned about the smear campaign from the documentary The Business of Being Born, which was excellent, but it doesn't go too much into the details. It certainly is a really interesting era in history--I'll have to read more about it. 

This is random, but I seem to have some sort of mental block about Jill's son's name. I keep thinking it's Isaiah. I'm not sure why I can't keep it in my head that it's actually Israel.

16 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

I know people who have lovely dishes but always use paper.  It makes no sense to me.

As for the Duggars and their kitchen, I bet they thought at one point that they could lease the living room space for meetings and so forth, in addition to the money seminars and their home church group. But it may also have been one of those ideas that seemed good at first but just didn't work for them.

I only use paper plates at picnics and things like that.

I don't have any paper plates in my house.  When my son was younger, I used to occasionally buy paper plates shaped like an animal's head, with separate parts for the two ears and then the bigger portion for the face.  I'd put the main meal in the big portion of the plate, some grapes or other fruit in one "ear" and a cookie or brownie in the other "ear."  We used them when he would have a friend over, for something fun and different at lunch or dinner time.  But other than that, and family reunions, I much prefer actual plates. 

It makes sense that perhaps JB had grand ideas on using their home as a conference center or place to hold seminars.  I also recall him talking about turning the property into a family compound as the children became adults and married, building small homes so they would remain living right next door.  Maybe he envisioned that the industrial kitchen would be used communally by these adult children and their families, continuing to cook and clean for JB and Michelle well into their dotage.  Run kids run!!  Sadly, looks like it will come down to Jana to care for her parents for the remainder of their natural lives.

That theory about them using their home as a conference center or as a family compound makes a lot of sense.  On the other hand, maybe it was something as simple as I can buy $50,000 worth of equipment at auction for $2,000-- less than the price for one stove and one refrigerator.  He had the space and the cash...voila!  industrial kitchen to go.

I went to a friend's house recently to help them move and they handed me pizza on a paper plate and I literally thought to myself "Oh yeah. I forgot about these. These are pretty convenient."

Does anyone know their reasoning as to why they think their gigantic family has a smaller carbon footprint than most people?

7 hours ago, Flyinthesoup said:

Here's where Alice talks about it, you have to scroll down to "Alice" to get all of what she said.  Here is a portion from Alice's rant: 

Thank you!  

I am inclined to believe Alice since a lot of the other stuff she says has turned out to be true.  So let's assume that they did pay for the kitchen equipment. It still makes you roll your eyes to think how little they seem to use it.

30 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

I don't have any paper plates in my house.  When my son was younger, I used to occasionally buy paper plates shaped like an animal's head, with separate parts for the two ears and then the bigger portion for the face.  I'd put the main meal in the big portion of the plate, some grapes or other fruit in one "ear" and a cookie or brownie in the other "ear."  We used them when he would have a friend over, for something fun and different at lunch or dinner time.  But other than that, and family reunions, I much prefer actual plates. 

It makes sense that perhaps JB had grand ideas on using their home as a conference center or place to hold seminars.  I also recall him talking about turning the property into a family compound as the children became adults and married, building small homes so they would remain living right next door.  Maybe he envisioned that the industrial kitchen would be used communally by these adult children and their families, continuing to cook and clean for JB and Michelle well into their dotage.  Run kids run!!  Sadly, looks like it will come down to Jana to care for her parents for the remainder of their natural lives.

As much as fundies claim to hate communism, aspects of quiverfull and "multigenerational visions" remind me of Maoist China in practice : clothes and personal property are communal, adults are "encouraged" to live on compounds, children are raised by communally and not by the biological parents, long hours of brainwashing, critical thought is discouraged through re-education campaigns, stupid and wasteful plans are put forth as the best of all possible worlds, and fathers and religious leaders are considered beyond reprouch. I guess it's true that one brand of totalitarianism hates another.

4 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

I went to a friend's house recently to help them move and they handed me pizza on a paper plate and I literally thought to myself "Oh yeah. I forgot about these. These are pretty convenient."

Does anyone know their reasoning as to why they think their gigantic family has a smaller carbon footprint than most people?

They think they have a smaller carbon footprint because in their world carbon turns to diamonds... and it does it in less time than in the heathen world because #evolutioniswrong

I will occasionally use paper plates when I'm having a picnic or camping, or for something like when you're moving and all your kitchen stuff is packed up. I don't think it's a big deal to use them now and then as a convenience when you're really busy, and so on. I'm not entirely against disposable plates and utensils.

I just think it's incredibly wasteful to use them all the time. It generates so much unnecessary garbage. It's also a huge waste of money.

Even a preschooler can learn to rinse their plate and fork and put them in the dishwasher. It's not like the Duggars are saving a huge amount of time and effort by using disposable; just have each kid take care of their own place setting, and take turns loading and unloading the dishwasher. It's not like they'd be washing everything by hand.

The Duggars using disposable items really seems to me like a way to avoid doing a small amount of work by wasting a large amount of money, which is the opposite of the frugal image they want to portray.

Too bad they don't list their house on AirBnb - we could have an FJ meetup weekend there LOL :Yes:

Just plan for zero privacy,,,, :output_eeMbjt:

Everything they do is designed to be the easiest way. They half-ass everything possible.

It's no wonder they use disposable everything. To wash up some Corelle plates in the industrial washer would take longer than just throwing everything away. So what if it would be cheaper in the long run, it's easier right now. 

There is a whole section of the population that feels the earth was given to people by God to use however we want. They don't care about carbon footprints or climate change.

4 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

Too bad they don't list their house on AirBnb - we could have an FJ meetup weekend there LOL :Yes:

Just plan for zero privacy,,,, :output_eeMbjt:

Could you imagine! 

That would only be for the most brave amongst us.  Kind of like people who travel to North Korea just to see what it's like. 

Over the holidays, we had our daughter and her family (toddler GD and SIL) visiting for 3 weeks. By the end of the visit, we were using some paper products. I am always amazed at how many extra dishes, cups, bowls, utensils that each additional person uses during the day.  I live in a very water restricted area of drought ridden CA, so I put water conservation first this time around.

17 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

Probably for the same reason they believe the earth is 6000 years old. Extreme mental gymnastics.

I think the "no property taxes" speculation has been debunked. I don't know where to look, but members here and elsewhere have looked at the public records, and the Duggars do pay taxes on their home at the same rate as everyone else.

Absolutely.  There is no basis in the no property tax story.  It's a relentless internet rumor that we keep trying to kill. 

18 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Over the holidays, we had our daughter and her family (toddler GD and SIL) visiting for 3 weeks. By the end of the visit, we were using some paper products. I am always amazed at how many extra dishes, cups, bowls, utensils that each additional person uses during the day.  I live in a very water restricted area of drought ridden CA, so I put water conservation first this time around.

My mom's dishwasher started to fail right before Christmas -- not enough that it stopped working altogether, but it was clear that it was not going to function at full capacity, and we wouldn't be able to fix or replace it until after the holiday. We ran it for dinner, but we ended up using paper plates for most of our other meals just to take the strain off the dishwasher (and because hand-washing with 10+ people in the house is a huge pain in the ass). I felt bad, but it was either be mean to the environment for 48 hours, or use huge amounts of electricity and water for half-done dishes (and the sounds the machine was making were horrific).

On 1/11/2016 at 9:15 PM, sophie10130 said:

Why is Derick rolling up zip-off pants?

I think he may be playing 'pocket pool' .   But then, he may be looking for his keys. 

I think there's a big difference between using paper plates for awhile because some sort of situation arose that made it necessary for the time being, versus making that standard operating procedure for a huge family for decades.

16 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Thank you!  

I am inclined to believe Alice since a lot of the other stuff she says has turned out to be true.  So let's assume that they did pay for the kitchen equipment. It still makes you roll your eyes to think how little they seem to use it.

kind of crazy to read some of the opinions from 2006:

" I believe the mom and dad would support their duaghter’s attempt to go to college."

"As for going different directions in adulthood, they can choose to do as they will. Adult children generally do. College is there if they want it, and the wide world beckons. They will make their own choices in life as they go along. That’s how it is."

"Too many kids are so self centered and then when they do grow up some end up selfish and worthless because they have no morals. These kids seem to have what it takes. Great job Kids!!"

"Odds are at least one of the girls will end up in an abusive relationship with her husband and have to support 5 kids when he leaves her for a woman with an opinion."

" Josh, if you happen to read any of this, hang in there, pal!! Life gets better when you move away from home!!"

I would die and go to heaven for a kitchen like theirs. I could make so many delicious things, Baking during the holidays would be fantastic. Shame on them for not using it for its full potential.

I had KFC in China, after 2 1/2 weeks of eating strange food I was dying for a taste of home. Best french fries I have ever eaten. 

From Christian Today, SOS announcing the Jillards (http://www.christiantoday.com/article/derick.and.jill.dillard.join.ministry.that.seeks.to.boost.marriages.in.central.america/76159.htm_:

"Both of them will help with strengthening and encouraging married couples, which is mostly neglected in the Latin world..."   (my italics)

How's that for chutzpah?

2 hours ago, Imagine20 said:

Could you imagine! 

That would only be for the most brave amongst us.  Kind of like people who travel to North Korea just to see what it's like. 

I have no idea why but I could not stop lol-Ing at this . Haha. 

• Boogalou locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived