IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 10: Taking Photos of Screaming Izzie

Coconut Flan

Cleopatra, as you undoubtedly know, sometimes you can find GORGEOUS sets of dishes, serving dishes and all, at thrift stores. People clean out Grandma's house, nobody wants the stuff, they can't sell it at auction, and it winds up at Goodwill. I LOVE thrift stores!!

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our regular set of dishes I bought almost 20 years ago at an estate/rummage sale. I think the whole set of 30 pieces was something like $25-30. No idea how old they were when I got them but they have a very neutral and timeless look. Basic black and ivory colors so it's been easy to buy coordinating serving/accent pieces or "close-enough" replacements for broken ones. Who knows how old the set is and they've held up well in the dishwasher. 

When I was younger I lived in some very small apartments. One had no kitchen counter at all. I would use one of those fold-up drying racks that are very compact to store in a drawer or cabinet. I'd just put it on the table (or in one old apartment one of those fold-out wall mounted ironing boards) with a dish towel underneath. Worked just as well as having one on a counter. 

9 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

Ever heard of dish towels? ;)

yes but ever heard of overall lack of space?

6 hours ago, Grace said:

Is it reproduction? That's perfectly safe in the dishwasher.

Life's short, kid. Use your FiestaWare! That's why you have it :56247951a4b60_32(2)::56247951a4b60_32(2):

I have some original thats family heirloom and when I get a house Will be in a china cabnet, the other I only use when I have guests minus the bowls which I use as portion control. 

34 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

I have some original thats family heirloom and when I get a house Will be in a china cabnet, the other I only use when I have guests minus the bowls which I use as portion control. 

When my Grandmother downsized, I got all of her FiestaWare. Collected for dust for decades in her basement, because it was "too nice" to use. Then I repeated this holding pattern until about 3 years ago. When I realized that I have the FiestaWare because I like it. And liking it is a good enough reason for me to use it. So, we now use it daily. I love the colors and that nothing matches.

38 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

Definitely...  The argument was that paper plates were used because the fiestaware wasn't going in the dishwasher and there was no room for a dishrack if they were to be hand-washed.  If you have a dish towel to dry them after you wash them, then you don't need a dishrack and the dishes can go right back to where they were being stored.  I guess my comment came off bitchy.  It wasn't the intention. lol

Why not use the dishwasher as a dishrack? I use mine regularly as a normal dishwasher but if I have to handwash something, that's usually where it goes to dry.

I forgot about using a dishwasher as a drying rack! I used to do that. It does suck not being able to have a dishrack, but I never even considered using paper plates instead of just drying my dishes right away. Too much cost, too much trash, and too unpleasant if you're eating more than a slice of pizza.

Did anyone else notice this pic from yesterday on the Pickles page? I don't think I missed any of this thread, but apologies if I did.

http://looplink.arkrealestate.com/xNet/Looplink/TmplEngine/ListingProfilePage.aspx?stid=arkrealestate&LID=19506202&LL=true&UOMListing=&UOMMoneyCurrency=&RentPer=PY&SRID=674773842912552525_849251228507021_205304270104796

21 minutes ago, missegeno said:

I forgot about using a dishwasher as a drying rack! I used to do that. It does suck not being able to have a dishrack, but I never even considered using paper plates instead of just drying my dishes right away. Too much cost, too much trash, and too unpleasant if you're eating more than a slice of pizza.

Did anyone else notice this pic from yesterday on the Pickles page? I don't think I missed any of this thread, but apologies if I did.

http://looplink.arkrealestate.com/xNet/Looplink/TmplEngine/ListingProfilePage.aspx?stid=arkrealestate&LID=19506202&LL=true&UOMListing=&UOMMoneyCurrency=&RentPer=PY&SRID=674773842912552525_849251228507021_205304270104796

I guess he doesn't want to sell it because the Dullards will need a place to live once they return from their Latin American misscation.

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Cleopatra, as you undoubtedly know, sometimes you can find GORGEOUS sets of dishes, serving dishes and all, at thrift stores. People clean out Grandma's house, nobody wants the stuff, they can't sell it at auction, and it winds up at Goodwill. I LOVE thrift stores!!

My publisher's elderly mother died last year, and apparently, she was a bit of a hoarder. My publisher found 5-6 sets of gold-plated silverware from Europe in her basement. Each set came in a large briefcase. Before my wedding in September, my publisher asked me, "Would you like some really nice silverware as a wedding gift? Everyone in the family has a set of the gold silverware, and we need to get rid of one more." BTW, it's some of the nicest silverware I've ever owned.

1 hour ago, FakePigtails said:

Why not use the dishwasher as a dishrack? I use mine regularly as a normal dishwasher but if I have to handwash something, that's usually where it goes to dry.

This is genius! Why have I not thought of this before! I think you just changed my life. 

2 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

Definitely...  The argument was that paper plates were used because the fiestaware wasn't going in the dishwasher and there was no room for a dishrack if they were to be hand-washed.  If you have a dish towel to dry them after you wash them, then you don't need a dishrack and the dishes can go right back to where they were being stored.  I guess my comment came off bitchy.  It wasn't the intention. lol

Yeah I have very little space at all. I also rarely use paper plates, but also have them in stock for painting with Acrylics. 

I use my dishwasher as a dish rack because of lack of space and my dishwasher leaves a white film on the dishes every time I use it so I have given up. 

16 hours ago, livinginthelight said:

Regarding carbon footprint issues, let's remember that this is the end times and the earth is going to be destroyed soon anyway. In fact, hastening its destruction only makes Jesus return faster. And what Christian wouldn't want that?

Yes, I was told this by a member of my aunt's church. Said fundie was lecturing me on the evil cult of environmentalism, which is actually a worship of mother earth, so it is obviously impossible to be both a Christian and an environmentalist.

This stuff is too crazy to make up.

Stuff like this makes me really hope there is a heaven.  I'd like to see people who think it's anti-Christian to take care of Mother Earth and the environment be greeted by St. Peter, who will glare at them, thunder a la the Soup Nazi, NO HEAVEN FOR YOU!  However, that is un-Christian of me, so ..... maybe I'd get the same treatment.  What a conundrum!

I  have Fiestaware! and I use it daily!  and I hand wash it! because I haven't had a dishwasher in 16 years. :my_sad: I will probably never have a dishwasher because remodeling our kitchen is so far down on the list of things we want to do it will never happen. I figured out a few days ago that I have been washing dishes for 54 years; my mother taught me how to wash dishes when I was 4 and gave me a step chair to stand on.

19 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

I unfortunatly use paper plates, however its just me. I would LOVE to have more counterspace to put a dish draining rack. I have a dishwasher but dont want to over use my fiestaware in it.

On Food and traveling. I don't know what it is about me but I always crave Fruit when I travel. I don't eat heavily anyway and try and find local stuff. Especially good local pizza places. 

I just wanted to reply that I'm jealous of your Fiesta ware :pb_biggrin: We had so much of it growing up! I wish I still had all the originals!

19 minutes ago, paulypepper said:

I just wanted to reply that I'm jealous of your Fiesta ware :pb_biggrin: We had so much of it growing up! I wish I still had all the originals!

my family is big on saving things and passing them down so the next generation saves $$

It's fine to use your dishwasher as a dish rack IF your dishwasher still drains.  If the motor is burnt out, then you'll end up with a big mess unless you clean it out every day or two.  (Yes, you may ask me how I know this.)   I have a great dish rack by Simple Human now that was pretty pricey, but it was worth it.  When I renovate this year, I might have a drainboard cut into the soapstone. Or I might not.

@Handmaiden of Dog, I've only been without a working dishwasher for 10 years, but it will get replaced as part of our kitchen reno.  The renovation is not an option, but a necessity. 

13 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

It's fine to use your dishwasher as a dish rack IF your dishwasher still drains.  If the motor is burnt out, then you'll end up with a big mess unless you clean it out every day or two.  (Yes, you may ask me how I know this.)   I have a great dish rack by Simple Human now that was pretty pricey, but it was worth it.  When I renovate this year, I might have a drainboard cut into the soapstone. Or I might not.

@Handmaiden of Dog, I've only been without a working dishwasher for 10 years, but it will get replaced as part of our kitchen reno.  The renovation is not an option, but a necessity. 

i love my 18 inch dishwasher :D

only one in my building and it's legit :D at first it wasn't - had it for two years - strata found out - got rid of it  = then fought council and got it back :D 

it's a bosch - recommend highly 

We have hard water and I use a cup of white vinegar in my dishwasher. Put it in a container near the centre of the upper rack (I use a Pyrex measuring cup). Makes a huge difference. I also use it for laundry. Vinegar is awesome.  

@nst,  Bosch is real high on my list of dishwashers.  I like how they are so quiet that they need a light shining on the floor to indicate that they are on.

4 hours ago, missegeno said:

Interesting that they're pimping it as commercial and not as a house.  I wonder whats up with that.

• Boogalou locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived