IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 10: Taking Photos of Screaming Izzie

Coconut Flan

I'm more interested in the soda fountain they have installed in the dining room.  I know they claim to never use it and that they rarely drink soda, but it must be used for something as one can often see labels taped over the different buttons.  Having worked in a restaurant, I know those lines can get extremely filthy and need to be cleaned and sanitized regularly, something I doubt they would do.

Regarding food and eating in foreign countries, I am somewhat obsessed with visiting supermarkets in other countries.  Often I will take a nice browse and buy various things to enjoy as snacks or light meals at my hotel.  I'm usually impressed with the different selections and choices that are available and things we don't have in the US.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol i had a chicken jalapeno sandwich in a mexican McDonald's a few years ago, it was fantastic (although i can't stand spicy food and it was very spicy, so much that i burned my lips) but that's pretty much it... Once in Spain my bestie didn't wanted to eat Paella, i think it's ridiculous to go to another country and not try the local cuisine and culture but it's the Duggars we're talking about soooo...  

Not offense to anybody who eats fast food when they travel, it's fine.

26 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I'm more interested in the soda fountain they have installed in the dining room.  I know they claim to never use it and that they rarely drink soda, but it must be used for something as one can often see labels taped over the different buttons.  Having worked in a restaurant, I know those lines can get extremely filthy and need to be cleaned and sanitized regularly, something I doubt they would do.

Regarding food and eating in foreign countries, I am somewhat obsessed with visiting supermarkets in other countries.  Often I will take a nice browse and buy various things to enjoy as snacks or light meals at my hotel.  I'm usually impressed with the different selections and choices that are available and things we don't have in the US.

They got rid of the soda fountain a long time ago.

Wasn't the reason for the commercial kitchen supposedly that they had planned to host debt-free living seminars? Or was that online speculation? I think Jim Bob had big dream$ for that house beyond having a permanent and spacious roof to put over his family's head. The two kitchens and that giant waste of space that is their living room is a pretty good indication.

I know people who have lovely dishes but always use paper.  It makes no sense to me.

As for the Duggars and their kitchen, I bet they thought at one point that they could lease the living room space for meetings and so forth, in addition to the money seminars and their home church group. But it may also have been one of those ideas that seemed good at first but just didn't work for them.

I only use paper plates at picnics and things like that.

Hating every minute of it (we try to be very kind to our Earth mother) but we're using styrofoam this week while we're moving. Finally getting out of AR and back to a normal big city!

Not that I think they'd be this smart, but with all the paper the Duggars go through, I'd be kinda surprised (both ways) if they didn't have a burn pit somewhere on the property. Our old house had just under an acre fenced in for the backyard and we built a simple one with pavers. Anytime it wasn't wet we'd take all our paper and burn. Saved a BUNCH when the trash companies here charge extra for more than 3 bags a week. End of the school semester was always fun because of how much crap the kids would dig out of their folders, that was bonfire night!

10 hours ago, Valerie3kids said:

Plus, they have a restaurant sized dishwasher. Why was that even bought as it is certainly is never used. I have never seen anything but paper and plastic being used in that household. That entire second kitchen was a complete waste of money. I can not imagine going to anyone's house and being fed tator tot casserole.

Appearances. I think it's as several posters have said... TLC was televising the construction and giving them money. They hold themselves up as excellent homemakers and highly thrifty (although we have seen neither is true,) and it just wouldn't fit the image they desire to project to say, "Actually, our cooking needs are pretty basic and we don't really bother with dish washing at all."

When the cameras are on and someone else is footing the bill, the Duggars will happily take the handouts... especially when it's something they think will make them look good, like pretending they might engage in super intense cookery or reuse instead of throwing away. 

5 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

There have been times while traveling where I just wanted something familiar usually things like cheese and crackers. I am sometimes weird about meat especially while traveling,  I wasn't crazy about goat curry in Grenada in particular, all the bones and grease. I have also had amoeba poisoning in Mexico, and have seen people filling those large plastic water jugs with hose water. I am not a terribly picky eater but know people who are and they hate being picky. 

My family went to Germany, Denmark and Holland for two weeks in 2001. Because of a train ticket mixup, we got stuck for a day in Malmo, Sweden. It was at the end of the trip, and also happened to be my dad's birthday. We had spent the majority of the time visiting friends in Denmark (aka, I hope you like Scandinavian fish!), and by the end, everyone in my family just wanted American food. Fortunately, since we were stuck for a day, we walked throughout town and found a restaurant that had a cigar store Indian out front and a painting of Reno, Nevada. Everyone ordered a burger (the restaurant didn't offer cheese on them), and to this day, it's been the best hamburger I've ever eaten. You know, after awhile, you just get tired of herring.

6 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Appearances. I think it's as several posters have said... TLC was televising the construction and giving them money. They hold themselves up as excellent homemakers and highly thrifty (although we have seen neither is true,) and it just wouldn't fit the image they desire to project to say, "Actually, our cooking needs are pretty basic and we don't really bother with dish washing at all."

When the cameras are on and someone else is footing the bill, the Duggars will happily take the handouts... especially when it's something they think will make them look good, like pretending they might engage in super intense cookery or reuse instead of throwing away. 

Without disagreeing that the Duggars will take the handouts and do what makes them look good,  I am remembering that one of the people who first accused Josh of molestation also said that TLC had paid for most of the house but not for the kitchen.  She said the Duggars had paid for the kitchen. I am going by memory here, so if I am wrong please correct me, and if anyone has a link to that post, please share it.  I know FJ was discussing it right after Joshgate 1 and saying how it had all turned out to be true.  

It occurs to me that the kitchen equipment was bought as part of a not-entirely realistic idea that if they had the space and equipment maybe Michelle could do more cooking--maybe even make pickles and canned goods and (oh lord) bake pies and cakes to sell at state fairs!

It is no more unrealistic than believing that they could build the TTC by themselves.  I get the feeling that buying the industrial kitchen appliances was all part of the same delusion.

Then along came TLC and finished and decorated the house for them,  made it unnecessary for them to have the money management seminars, and saved the good folks of Arkansas from possible food poisoning.:kitty-wink:

11 hours ago, Valerie3kids said:

Plus, they have a restaurant sized dishwasher. Why was that even bought as it is certainly is never used. I have never seen anything but paper and plastic being used in that household. That entire second kitchen was a complete waste of money. I can not imagine going to anyone's house and being fed tator tot casserole.

They did run a camera inside the dishwasher once...

And, that's kind of like using it.

I must confess: I have no issue with tater tot casserole. I think it's pretty tasty. I don't make it, but I wouldn't mind being served it in someone else's home.

The thing is, you have to eat stuff like that in moderation. The occasional unhealthy treat, convenience meal, or comfort food after a bad day is perfectly fine to me. It just shouldn't be a steady diet, it should be every now and then.

The way the Duggars portray their eating habits, it seems like that is their steady diet. It seems like they make very poor overall nutritional choices, and have passed that on to their kids.

They did use the seem to use the space pretty fully on Dishing with the Duggars. I think they really wanted space for the crew and boom mics and cameras and all the accompaniments of a TLC paycheck, but that wouldn't have been very popular among their audience if they were honest, so they lied about other reasons (that's ok according to the bible, right?).

I also went back and found these shots I remembered from their Xmas tour a year ago. Josh is terrible. In the kitchen, there are no signs of use, save for some fruit for appearances. In my memory, the other boys had been spraying water in an empty industrial sink, but upon review there are definitely dishes in the mix.

5694bc6fc9996_ScreenShot2016-01-12at8.32

5694bc902d6ca_ScreenShot2016-01-12at8.33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcJJLqZXPtc

10 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

I agree that they probably don't use china when people visit because they think that just being in the Duggar household and eating Duggar food is blessing enough.  After all Michelle is MOTY and the whole family are TV Stars!  Personally I can't stand paper plates because I refuse to eat with plastic forks and metal forks don't work well with paper plates.  But then I am also a fabric napkin person as well.  The downside of not using paper plates is I can't write messages on them with a freaking magic marker all over the bottom of the plate.

I mean, you can...

2 hours ago, missegeno said:

They did use the seem to use the space pretty fully on Dishing with the Duggars. I think they really wanted space for the crew and boom mics and cameras and all the accompaniments of a TLC paycheck, but that wouldn't have been very popular among their audience if they were honest, so they lied about other reasons (that's ok according to the bible, right?).

I also went back and found these shots I remembered from their Xmas tour a year ago. Josh is terrible. In the kitchen, there are no signs of use, save for some fruit for appearances. In my memory, the other boys had been spraying water in an empty industrial sink, but upon review there are definitely dishes in the mix.

5694bc6fc9996_ScreenShot2016-01-12at8.32

5694bc902d6ca_ScreenShot2016-01-12at8.33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcJJLqZXPtc

At the end of the film linked where they sing, there's a man in a  checked shirt and suit jacket - who is that?

Also, young men washing up - but that's a job for the wimminz!

10 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I'm more interested in the soda fountain they have installed in the dining room.  I know they claim to never use it and that they rarely drink soda, but it must be used for something as one can often see labels taped over the different buttons.  

<snip>

i suspect the tape over the brand names on the drink fountain aren't "labels"... they're just masking tape... And they are probably there for the same reason that TLC blur out adidas baseball cap logos or literally put masking tape over peoples Tshirts.. intellectual property issues and/or relationships with advertisers.

TLC can't have the drink fountain doing "native" advertising for pepsi for e.g. (by showing its logo or trade mark on the drink machine) when TLC is actually sponsored by other competing brands such as the Coca Cola Group and Pure Leaf Iced Tea... Same way that other shows blur out the logos on the cars or put stickers over the apple logos on laptops... 

25 minutes ago, InThePrayerCloset said:

i suspect the tape over the brand names on the drink fountain aren't "labels"... they're just masking tape... And they are probably there for the same reason that TLC blur out adidas baseball cap logos or literally put masking tape over peoples Tshirts.. intellectual property issues and/or relationships with advertisers.

TLC can't have the drink fountain doing "native" advertising for pepsi for e.g. (by showing its logo or trade mark on the drink machine) when TLC is actually sponsored by other competing brands such as the Coca Cola Group and Pure Leaf Iced Tea... Same way that other shows blur out the logos on the cars or put stickers over the apple logos on laptops... 

Duh, I have no idea why I didn't think of that.  I immediately assumed they were pumping some other sugar-packed Kool-aid through the machine.

7 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Without disagreeing that the Duggars will take the handouts and do what makes them look good,  I am remembering that one of the people who first accused Josh of molestation also said that TLC had paid for most of the house but not for the kitchen.  She said the Duggars had paid for the kitchen. I am going by memory here, so if I am wrong please correct me, and if anyone has a link to that post, please share it.  I know FJ was discussing it right after Joshgate 1 and saying how it had all turned out to be true.  

It occurs to me that the kitchen equipment was bought as part of a not-entirely realistic idea that if they had the space and equipment maybe Michelle could do more cooking--maybe even make pickles and canned goods and (oh lord) bake pies and cakes to sell at state fairs!

It is no more unrealistic than believing that they could build the TTC by themselves.  I get the feeling that buying the industrial kitchen appliances was all part of the same delusion.

Then along came TLC and finished and decorated the house for them,  made it unnecessary for them to have the money management seminars, and saved the good folks of Arkansas from possible food poisoning.:kitty-wink:

Here's where Alice talks about it, you have to scroll down to "Alice" to get all of what she said.  Here is a portion from Alice's rant: 

Discovery Health Channel and the TLC channel wrote them a check for over $200,000. for the to build the house. Everything inside the house was given to them except the kitchen. They did buy that themselves. The rest is all free. Mary and Josh was on the phone day and night asking for donations from soup to Computers. They also received a Baby Grand Piano from Campbell Soup Co. 

10 hours ago, lascuba said:

Wasn't the reason for the commercial kitchen supposedly that they had planned to host debt-free living seminars? Or was that online speculation? I think Jim Bob had big dream$ for that house beyond having a permanent and spacious roof to put over his family's head. The two kitchens and that giant waste of space that is their living room is a pretty good indication.

JB boasted about getting all the restaurant quality kitchen at half-price second hand from a failed business. The intent was to hold church in the big LR, which they prob. still do, b/c that would mean no property taxes.

13 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Does anyone else feel the Duggars might benefit from reviewing that OT verse "Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall?"

I've thought this many times.  Ironically, TLC showed Derrick reading this proverb to Jill during the first Counting On episode.  It was a background fade-in from discussion about Josh.   Humility isn't the Duggars' strong suit.

I remember JB's comment about wanting to host seminars in his home. I wonder how that is panning out for him? Who wants to go to a seminar with children running around everywhere?

Alice's comment still wows me to this day, how right she ended up being. 

8 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Hating every minute of it (we try to be very kind to our Earth mother) but we're using styrofoam this week while we're moving. Finally getting out of AR and back to a normal big city!

Not that I think they'd be this smart, but with all the paper the Duggars go through, I'd be kinda surprised (both ways) if they didn't have a burn pit somewhere on the property. Our old house had just under an acre fenced in for the backyard and we built a simple one with pavers. Anytime it wasn't wet we'd take all our paper and burn. Saved a BUNCH when the trash companies here charge extra for more than 3 bags a week. End of the school semester was always fun because of how much crap the kids would dig out of their folders, that was bonfire night!

As much as this would be an intelligent thing to do, I just can't even imagine the family doing this.

Do y'all remember that one Q&A episode where they had the gall to talk about how their family probably has a lower carbon footprint than most other families? This is a family who doesn't believe that overpopulation is or could be a thing. Doesn't believe in climate change. To them, the earth here is a gift from god to be used and abused. They've had 19 babies be brought up in disposable diapers; they're not going to think for 2 seconds about disposable plates.

On 1/10/2016 at 3:09 PM, pamplemousse said:

Given the Dullards' "command" of Spanish, I wouldn't trust them to wear anything bearing any Spanish words or phrases. Who knows what you'd see and what it would translate into!  :scared-yipes:

How about a classic "Estoy con estupido" shirt.  Or "Mi familia esta muy loco"

Trying to brush off my high school Spanish to have some fun with this.

1 hour ago, ksgranola1 said:

JB boasted about getting all the restaurant quality kitchen at half-price second hand from a failed business. The intent was to hold church in the big LR, which they prob. still do, b/c that would mean no property taxes.

I think the "no property taxes" speculation has been debunked. I don't know where to look, but members here and elsewhere have looked at the public records, and the Duggars do pay taxes on their home at the same rate as everyone else.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I remember JB's comment about wanting to host seminars in his home. I wonder how that is panning out for him? Who wants to go to a seminar with children running around everywhere?

Alice's comment still wows me to this day, how right she ended up being. 

You mean with those blessings from God running around? People should be so lucky >.>

• Boogalou locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived