IGNORED

Bates Family Part 6

Coconut Flan

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Granwych said:

You can call it gossiping or whatever you like.  I call it seeing what COULD be a problem that would benefit from further investigation.  Nobody knows just who reads here and it's possible that a Bates just might peruse their family's threads. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't FJ a "snark site?"  Do the admins feel the need to revise rules for posting anything about minor children (unless it's positive, of course!?)  Can you, Arete Jo, clarify the difference between expressing concern on a child's appearance such as body weight (or lack of,)  teeth needing orthodontia (or not,)  and "gossiping?"  Thanks.

There are no signs of neglect as far as Allie Jane is concerned. The Rodrigues children are discussed at great length, because of the way their parents actually treat them. 

5 minutes ago, Kak said:

There are no signs of neglect as far as Allie Jane is concerned. The Rodrigues children are discussed at great length, because of the way their parents actually treat them. 

True enough there, Kak.  I'm glad that the Bates families actually seek medical care for their kids. 

1 hour ago, Granwych said:

You can call it gossiping or whatever you like.  I call it seeing what COULD be a problem that would benefit from further investigation.  Nobody knows just who reads here and it's possible that a Bates just might peruse their family's threads. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't FJ a "snark site?"  Do the admins feel the need to revise rules for posting anything about minor children (unless it's positive, of course!?)  Can you, Arete Jo, clarify the difference between expressing concern on a child's appearance such as body weight (or lack of,)  teeth needing orthodontia (or not,)  and "gossiping?"  Thanks.

Since you asked for me to clarify-anyone who plays doctor on the Internet, speculating on diseases and syndromes based on a picture, is acting like a gossiping biddy.

The rest is body shaming, because you can't possibly think those kids are going to get orthodontia because it's observed on threads on snark site.  The rest of us have eyes, no need to point out a child's teeth.  You don't snark on a child's appearance or possible health state for the same reasons you don't speculate on their sexuality-it's none of our business and starting rumors like that can have irl consequences that can't be predicted.

There is no reason for the admins to clarify anything.   Playing Dr. Internet and gossiping about these kids' appearances does not violate the TOU.   But just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.  So people will continue to do so, and others will continue to ask why?

Just now, AreteJo said:

Since you asked for me to clarify-anyone who plays doctor on the Internet, speculating on diseases and syndromes based on a picture, is acting like a gossiping biddy.

The rest is body shaming, because you can't possibly think those kids are going to get orthodontia because it's observed on threads on snark site.  The rest of us have eyes, no need to point out a child's teeth.  You don't snark on a child's appearance or possible health state for the same reasons you don't speculate on their sexuality-it's none of our business and starting rumors like that can have irl consequences that can't be predicted.

There is no reason for the admins to clarify anything.   Playing Dr. Internet and gossiping about these kids' appearances does not violate the TOU.   But just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.  So people will continue to do so, and others will continue to ask why?

I love that whenever this topic comes up I don't even have to type a response...I just upvote you because you've said everything I was thinking.

When something isn't a violation of the TOU it's just plain old opinionated free speech.  People can voice their opinions and other people can voice their opinions of other people's opinions.  

3 hours ago, habert said:

BAPfxWVvswm

Whitney looks pregnant in the bringing up bates Instagram promo photo

I thought the same thing!

batessesses.jpg

4 hours ago, Thorns said:

Well, that escalated quickly. Pardon for saying, but being more of a lurker than a poster I had the impression that this is kinda an everything goes forum, and rather no holds barred on what is up for discussion. (FI weight, hairlines, pregnancies, mental health). It has also been mentioned several times that "it seems like someone reads FJ"!. 

So, I took a shot. And, yes, I've posted on their Insta :) I might just be paranoid about it, having witnessed the consequenses on close hand. So, hopefully, someone takes notice, and hopefully my concern is just paranoia :)

It is basically a say-anything kind of place. If you have genuine concern and see something that no one else does (every picture of AJ looks normal to me, she's just leaning back with a cheesy grin in the most recent) and you politely contacted them, that's awesome. I just get my panties in a twist sometimes over the ridiculous people who are sure there is Down syndrome, lazy eye, [or insert off-the-wall-disease here] involved every time one wonky picture of a fundie kiddo gets posted somewhere. 

I always hesitate to "diagnose" someone as pregnant (because what if they just didn't lose the baby weight?), but I definitely think Whitney is pregnant- though mainly based on her instagram pictures, not necessarily the promo pic. When was that taken anyway?

35 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

what if they just didn't lose the baby weight?

Because she's looked like this since (both of these are about six months old)

whit.jpg

I wonder how Whitney feels about the lawsuit. I kind of doubt she knew when she married into the family that her father in law was covering up abuse. She seems close to Gil and Kelly, it would be shocking to find out someone you respected was being accused of such awful things. 

Just now, formergothardite said:

I wonder how Whitney feels about the lawsuit. I kind of doubt she knew when she married into the family that her father in law was covering up abuse. She seems close to Gil and Kelly, it would be shocking to find out someone you respected was being accused of such awful things. 

I don't know about her, but one of the most shocking things I've learned in my life is the endless capacity some people have to deny unpleasant truths about people they love/trust.

3 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I don't know about her, but one of the most shocking things I've learned in my life is the endless capacity some people have to deny unpleasant truths about people they love/trust.

That is true. She and the rest of them probably believe that it is all lies. For Erin it isn't just her father it is also her FIL. 

2 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

I thought the same thing!

batessesses.jpg

Why do they have some of the boys in flannels, sweaters, and one dressed as a maitre d?  And the girls run from sweaters to flannels...is Michael wearing a hoodie?

Seriously - you have a couple dressed like professional magicians, some in business casual, and some who look like they could be cleaning out the garage.  

I know UP is a low end network, but they can't afford a stylist - or even an intern who knows the level of formality should match in a professional pic?  Lovely family on the outside, but apparently no one who understands how to create a cohesive look.

3 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

That is true. She and the rest of them probably believe that it is all lies. For Erin it isn't just her father it is also her FIL. 

Satan is TESTING them! Attacking from all directions!

There is no way Whitney can sit in that skirt without showing at least a centimetre of thigh, which according to Gothard is nakedness! 

43 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Why do they have some of the boys in flannels, sweaters, and one dressed as a maitre d?  And the girls run from sweaters to flannels...is Michael wearing a hoodie?

Seriously - you have a couple dressed like professional magicians, some in business casual, and some who look like they could be cleaning out the garage.  

I know UP is a low end network, but they can't afford a stylist - or even an intern who knows the level of formality should match in a professional pic?  Lovely family on the outside, but apparently no one who understands how to create a cohesive look.

Yeah. They were trying to color-coordinate, but the difference in level of formality is pretty funny. Why is baby Carson wearing a base cap when his dad is wearing a suit? Your maitre d' comment is cracking me up, Buffy. Too accurate! :my_biggrin:

By the way, did Alyssa not bring an outfit in a matching color? That skirt (dress?) definitely doesn't look like her style. More like she borrowed it from Michael.

Is Trace really that tall?  He sure shot up over the summer.  He's as tall as the Webster guy.  He towers over all his siblings and his parents.  Wow.  I thought he was right in height with Law and Nate. 

New Video has been posted to YouTube.

Best part of the video is Trace suggesting what his grandparents actually feel/think when they come to visit.  He says they would say, "Great to see y'all. I just hope it is a one day trip or something. I don't think I could handle all these kids for the weekend like we normally do."

Erin and Chad were already there when the other family came to visit Papa Bill and Mama Jane.

47 minutes ago, ladyaudley said:

Satan is TESTING them! Attacking from all directions!

They may be hoping, lies or not, that any publicity about the IBLP lawsuit would be muffled against all the media attention on the Duggar drama.  Even if news of the lawsuit does surface, I'm sure immediate comparisons would be made with Josh and the Duggars...which would shift a lot of attention off the Bates/Paine families.

I hope it makes the news though.

I think the picture would have worked better if everyone just wore black on bottom, and no light colors (minus prints). Kelly and the two girls in front in the white skirts just look out of place.

I personally think they intentionally put Michael(a) in a hoodie because they are anticipating/hoping for a pregnancy announcement from her, and they wanted to stoke the fires on that.

No matter what you think of the Bates, most people do honestly want Michael to get pregnant easily since it is so obviously what she really wants.  In light of the controversy, the best thing to happen to the show would be a Michael pregnancy to hide behind. 

I don't feel bad for Gil and Kelly one bit, but I do feel bad for the kids.  We don't choose our parents, nor do we choose what they do.  I especially feel bad for Whit.  She had so much trouble growing up, and it was obvious that she looked to the Bates as becoming part of the "perfect" and safe family she had always wanted as a child.  It must be hard for her to lose that dream as well.  Hopefully she finds that she can make that family herself with Zach and Bradley.  

I feel for the Bates kids like I do for the Duggars. Their parents were selfish to stick them on television knowing that a secret like this was hiding in the closet just waiting to be revealed. How do you explain something like this to the younger kids? 

I don't think Whitney necessarily looks pregnant in that picture.  But I do find it interesting that her and Zach are in the center.  All of the other couples (including Gil and Kelly) are off to the side.  Maybe that's a suggestion that this season is going to focus a lot on them, which I would assume means pregnancy.  Or it could be nothing. 

Who is going to take one for the team and watch? I'm betting on Whitney being the pregnant one. I think that it is possible that Alyssa has been intentionally posting pics that don't show her stomach just to make people think she is in the running.

54 minutes ago, doubleT said:

Is Trace really that tall?  He sure shot up over the summer.  He's as tall as the Webster guy.  He towers over all his siblings and his parents.  Wow.  I thought he was right in height with Law and Nate. 

Erin appears to be standing on a box to be better seen so Trace could be too.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived