IGNORED

Bates Family Part 6

Coconut Flan

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

Yeah, you don't meet with Finnish people all that often. I think the town she lived in was sort of in between Turku and Tampere, about eight years ago now. Time flies.

There are only five and a half million of us. While traveling (outside Sweden and Estonia) it's often quite safe to discuss our real thoughts with Mr. Lurker since no one has any idea what the heck we are talking, but you can never be too sure... there's a Finn where you least expect it, even in remote and rural Scottish pubs... I've learned my lesson ;)

About the Bateses... IF the pregnant one is Kelly (which I don't really believe) I'd _love_ to be there when JB & DQ hear the 20th blessing is on the way to Tennessee...

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

So was last week's episode worth watching? It's on the DVR and I'm feeling indifferent.

No it was just a recap episode. The new season doesn't actually start until this Thursday

The only reason Alyssa waited to be 4 months pregnant when she announced last time  was because she turned 20 when she was 4 months. It doesn't look good for the brand or her FIL's career to be adding to the teen pregnancy numbers. I was fundie light when I married on the month of my 18th birthday and got pregnant 6 months later, giving birth at 19. Even in my religious circle I got "made fun of" for adding to the teen pregnancy statistics. Im an atheist now and am kind of thankful that I had my children young but would not reccomend it to anyone. It is fun being 23 and done now though :) 

2 minutes ago, crazysnark said:

The only reason Alyssa waited to be 4 months pregnant when she announced last time  was because she turned 20 when she was 4 months. It doesn't look good for the brand or her FIL's career to be adding to the teen pregnancy numbers. I was fundie light when I married on the month of my 18th birthday and got pregnant 6 months later, giving birth at 19. Even in my religious circle I got "made fun of" for adding to the teen pregnancy statistics. Im an atheist now and am kind of thankful that I had my children young but would not reccomend it to anyone. It is fun being 23 and done now though :) 

I think you're projecting a lot from your own experience here. They all agreed that she was old enough to get married, and in their world that means old enough to get pregnant and have children. Her wedding was celebrated and broadcasted to the public. No one was trying to hide the fact that she was a teenager when she got married and subsequently got pregnant. Conservative Christians like the Websters actively encourage very young marriages. A pregnant, married 19-year-old would do nothing to hurt their brand. This is what they're championing - marry young, start having babies young, have lots of babies.

I think it must be Whitney... Bradley is 1 already, it's time in fundieland.

Kelly isn't going to have any more, barring a miracle. Michael answered a fan only a month or so ago that she wasn't pregnant on her instagram, and I really think she's the more discrete type who will wait until 3 months to announce publicly, so even if she is pregnant now we won't hear about it for a little while. She'll probably be next though and just stop answering people on instagram so as not to lie.

Then I'd say it will be Alyssa, she seems like at least at first they'll keep up Gothardite appearances by having a bunch of kids before slowing down. At the same time I see her trying to space them a bit more than her mother so as not to be overwhelmed. She doesn't seem to find the chaos as easy to deal with, so she might wait a few more months.

Erin will be last because while she does want Carson to have siblings and I see her having several more children, she will probably listen to her doctor and space her pregnancies a lot more than the others.

*shrug* I could be completely wrong of course but it's fun to speculate.

24 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I think you're projecting a lot from your own experience here. They all agreed that she was old enough to get married, and in their world that means old enough to get pregnant and have children. Her wedding was celebrated and broadcasted to the public. No one was trying to hide the fact that she was a teenager when she got married and subsequently got pregnant. Conservative Christians like the Websters actively encourage very young marriages. A pregnant, married 19-year-old would do nothing to hurt their brand. This is what they're championing - marry young, start having babies young, have lots of babies.

but remember when she announced it on bub and one of carli (can't tell carlin and tori apart) was like "you're only 19!" And Alyssa somewhat crossly pointed out she would be 20 when she gave birth? I could def see her not wanting people to dwell on her young age for that first pregnancy. 

6 minutes ago, MissBitters said:

Check out the 7th and 13th pics from Kelly's sister's wedding. Carlin is showing a lot of shoulder :pb_surprised:

Looking at those colors, it's almost what would have been had Alyssa had an outdoor wedding.  Totally OT but I LOVE that bride's dress.  

31 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

but remember when she announced it on bub and one of carli (can't tell carlin and tori apart) was like "you're only 19!" And Alyssa somewhat crossly pointed out she would be 20 when she gave birth? I could def see her not wanting people to dwell on her young age for that first pregnancy. 

She and Erin both seem as if they want to be thought of as "older" than their chronological ages.

Someone needs to tell Alyssa THAT'S how you do barbie pink and malibu blue (if you do it at all). And I agree, 19CaC, the bride looks amazing.

Kelly's sister is black? I must have missed/forgotten that. 

Isn't there a racist element in the Quiverfull teachings? Something about having a lot of the "right" kind of children? If I'm mixing things up, I apologize. If I'm remembering correctly though, I wonder how Kelly justifies her relationship with her sister (which I assume is OK if the whole family went to her wedding) and those beliefs.

2 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

Kelly's sister is black? I must have missed/forgotten that. 

Isn't there a racist element in the Quiverfull teachings? Something about having a lot of the "right" kind of children? If I'm mixing things up, I apologize. If I'm remembering correctly though, I wonder how Kelly justifies her relationship with her sister (which I assume is OK if the whole family went to her wedding) and those beliefs.

i wondered the same thing when we were introduced to her on bub, not because of her race but bc she appears to have had a child out of wedlock. 

Well, someone certainly reads here, because Alyssa has posted a photo on IG - of Allie. Smart move!

Also, holy shitsnacks, Emily applied THREE THOUSAND TIMES??

2 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Gothard has spoken against adoption but I don't recall any explicitly racist teachings.

Is teachings against rock music are on the racist side. 

31 minutes ago, ladyaudley said:

Well, someone certainly reads here, because Alyssa has posted a photo on IG - of Allie. Smart move!

Also, holy shitsnacks, Emily applied THREE THOUSAND TIMES??

The applied 3000 times worries me.  I get wanting to meet a family you look up to but that's extreme.  

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Actually her sisters all made comments on the show that she was too young. Carlin and Tori both said "she's only 19, years old". So I do believe this to be true that her family did feel some type of shock. 

38 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

The applied 3000 times worries me.  I get wanting to meet a family you look up to but that's extreme.  

That's freaky. And now she knows where they live. I'd be scared...:my_confused:

1 hour ago, grandmadugger said:

That's like stalker level stuff.  I'd be super uncomfortable with her knowing where I live.

I think Alyssa waited to announce last time because she got the People spread (and so couldn't announce before the mag came out).  Her wedding was televised as part of an ABC special on "people who live differently".  They really focused on the Bates' unconventional religious beliefs, so a young marriage went along with that story.

But People is a national publication and Up! definitely intended to market the Bates as a "normal Christian family...just with more kids!"  Suddenly, the teenage marriage to a man in his mid-20's is no longer so in keeping with the "narrative".  Being able to write "Alyssa, 20, and John, 26" looks SO much better to the general populace than having to write "Alyssa, 19, and John, 25".  

It's because most readers aren't reading that carefully.  Both parents in their 20's?  Normal.  A teenager married to a man in his mid-twenties?  Why are we promoting this?  SHOULD a man in his mid-twenties be allowed to date a 17 year old? Call it what you want, but if he was ready to propose shortly after she turned 18, you know what was going on.

I think People and Up! were the ones that put the hold on Alyssa's public announcement.  

Alyssa announced right before the show premiere, for maximum impact. That's what will happen again.

1 hour ago, Exjw2015deed said:

Actually her sisters all made comments on the show that she was too young. Carlin and Tori both said "she's only 19, years old". So I do believe this to be true that her family did feel some type of shock. 

So they criticize the use of birth control, but are shocked when their healthy 19 yo sister gets pregnant very soon after marriage? I do not understand these people.

10 minutes ago, 16strong said:

So they criticize the use of birth control, but are shocked when their healthy 19 yo sister gets pregnant very soon after marriage? I do not understand these people.

In their world, you don't get pregnant from sex; you get pregnant when God blesses you.

It's natural that God would bless a married couple in their 20's, but they probably thought He would wait longer to bless a teenager.  

Their concept of conceptual fertility is roughly equivalent to that of a medieval peasant, albeit with less witchcraft/pagan superstition.  

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived