IGNORED

Bates Family Part 6

Coconut Flan

On January 3, 2016 at 10:23 PM, Catholic and NOT 'ebil' said:

Can someone explain to me why Michaella is often called Michael?

Also, I know someone IRL who is named Michaella and is pronounced 'miss-shay-luh.' Do the Bates pronounce it differently? 

TIA!!! 

Also they realized michel in the bible has some negative implications. She was David's wife who defied her father to protect David, then was married off to someone else, David took her back and she didn't like his lifestyle or something. I forgot why fundies flipped the story to make her sound like a disobedient harlot. So Kelly explained how between that and her getting confused for a boy I why they changed it. Either way, it proves they weren't full fundies until like the 4th child. 

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone is interested there are actually 8 videos of the 20th Bates Winner. The winner was Emily Bauman. It appears that she is wearing a purity ring on her hand. Callie really takes to anyone. Emily was holding her. At least they didn't make her tater tot casserole. I am surprised Up didn't make an episode out of the visit to show on the air.

Note: They won't enabled here so you have to click the link. Some of the Up videos are slow to load.

#20thBates - A Warm Bates Welcome http://uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/videos/20thbates-a-warm-bates-welcome/

#20thBates - Getting To Know Emily http://uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/videos/20thbates-getting-to-know-emily/

#20thBates - How Sweet It Is TEST http://uptv.com/videos/20thbates-how-sweet-it-is/

#20thBates - Gettin' Crafty http://uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/videos/20th-bates-gettin-crafty/

#20thBates - Right On Target http://uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/videos/20thbates-right-on-target/

#20thBates - Pigskin Pointers http://uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/videos/20th-bates-pigskin-pointers/

#20thBates - A Grande Gourmet Meal http://uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/videos/20th-bates-a-grande-gourmet-meal/

#20thBates - Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow http://uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/videos/20th-bates-parting-is-such-sweet-sorrow/

Here's Emily's "audition video." (Careful, the second-hand embarassment is strong.) I'd say she's around 17 or 18. She does wear pants in the video, so the skirt was probably for the Bateses sake. But I'd say it's entirely possibly she's at least fundie-light. I'd like to find out more about her, but she has such a common name.

ETA: Holy shit. This girl applied over THREE THOUSAND times for the "20th Bates" contest. She must be a SAHD. Who else would have that kind of time? Good grief, that is one unhealthy obsession... I'd be kind of scared if I were the Bateses.

Here's Emily's audition video: http://uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/videos/bringing-up-bates-20thbates-finalist-emily-bauman/

Emily Bauman has 20 reasons why she she should be a Bates family member for a day and appear on an episode of “Bringing Up Bates” on UP.

It appears that she is from California. She mentions California slang and California food such as fish tacos. Her older is in the US Marine Corps and is learning to fly. It appears that her younger siblings and father appear in the video with her. She wears both pants and a skirt in the video. In the pool scene, she is covered but it appears that she is wearing a bikini underneath. There is a wood stove fireplace in her house so I am going to go with Northern California. I have never seen a wood stove fireplace in a house in Southern California. Maybe her family has a blog.

I just saw this on the Bringing Up Bates Facebook page.

Help us kickoff the new season! Join Lawson Bates Official for the ‪#‎BringingUpBates‬ Premiere Twitter Party on Thursday, Jan 7 at 8:30 PM ET. Follow the conversation & chat with us just before the show using #BringingUpBates on Twitter.

10366271_545010899000162_183254710985455

The Up Network has a really good PR Department. Of course, a lot of the girl fans love Lawson. Smart move Up.

30 minutes ago, accountingstar said:

Here's Emily's audition video: http://uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/videos/bringing-up-bates-20thbates-finalist-emily-bauman/

Emily Bauman has 20 reasons why she she should be a Bates family member for a day and appear on an episode of “Bringing Up Bates” on UP.

It appears that she is from California. She mentions California slang and California food such as fish tacos. Her older is in the US Marine Corps and is learning to fly. It appears that her younger siblings and father appear in the video with her. She wears both pants and a skirt in the video. In the pool scene, she is covered but it appears that she is wearing a bikini underneath. There is a wood stove fireplace in her house so I am going to go with Northern California. I have never seen a wood stove fireplace in a house in Southern California. Maybe her family has a blog.

Ha! I totally forgot to paste the link. :my_biggrin: Thanks for posting it! FYI, she's from San Diego. I haven't had any luck even with that information though.

The house next door to me has a wood stove and I'm in Southern California.  It happens. 

7 hours ago, elliha said:

In Finland Kari is a man's name.

Totally off topic, but do you happen to be a Finn (living in Sweden)?

Just now, LurkerOverThePond said:

Totally off topic, but do you happen to be a Finn (living in Sweden)?

Nope but I have met at least 3 men named Kari, all from Finland or Tornedalen. I come from northern Sweden (but not from Tornedalen) so the Finnish influence is a natural one for me, I have almost always gone to school with at least one person who speaks Finnish. Since I moved to Västerbotten I have also gotten to know a lot of Swedish-speaking people from Finland because a lot of people come here from Österbotten to study as it is the closest Swedish-speaking university. 

56 minutes ago, accountingstar said:

Help us kickoff the new season! Join Lawson Bates Official for the ‪#‎BringingUpBates‬ Premiere Twitter Party on Thursday, Jan 7 at 8:30 PM ET. Follow the conversation & chat with us just before the show using #BringingUpBates on Twitter.

10366271_545010899000162_183254710985455

The Up Network has a really good PR Department. Of course, a lot of the girl fans love Lawson. Smart move Up.

If I had twitter I would join in, but instead of gushing over the Bates, I would bring up their association with IBLP. Don't think UP wants people to realize that their squeaky clean, oh so happy family is involved in an abuse cover lawsuit up that rivals the Duggar scandal. 

7 minutes ago, elliha said:

Nope but I have met at least 3 men named Kari, all from Finland or Tornedalen. I come from northern Sweden (but not from Tornedalen) so the Finnish influence is a natural one for me, I have almost always gone to school with at least one person who speaks Finnish. Since I moved to Västerbotten I have also gotten to know a lot of Swedish-speaking people from Finland because a lot of people come here from Österbotten to study as it is the closest Swedish-speaking university. 

Well you are quite right - Kari is a man's name and actually a very common one, especially for men in their 40's and 50's. Anyway, hälsningar från södra Finland ;)

34 minutes ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Well you are quite right - Kari is a man's name and actually a very common one, especially for men in their 40's and 50's. Anyway, hälsningar från södra Finland ;)

Are you Finnish? My sister lived in Finland for a year. Then she studied the language in university. I think she's still pretty good at it. I picked up a few words and expressions from her, but I can't remember much now beyond, "Moi!" And salmiakki.

I just found a finalist video posted on Up for the #20 Bates contest. Her name is Abigail Rutt, she is 16, and lives in Pennsylvania. She watched the whole first season in a day. It sounded like there were 100 finalists for this contest. Their fans are sure dedicated.

Link to her video:

http://uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/videos/bringing-up-bates-20thbates-finalist-abigail-rutt/

44 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

If I had twitter I would join in, but instead of gushing over the Bates, I would bring up their association with IBLP. Don't think UP wants people to realize that their squeaky clean, oh so happy family is involved in an abuse cover lawsuit up that rivals the Duggar scandal. 

It would be great if someone had twitter and could ask how the lawsuit against Gothard and ATI is going.

I would also want someone to ask if footsies is allowed before engagement or can it be done after engagement like hand holding or is it only saved for after the marriage vows.

I would also ask how much time each week is devoted to core curricula in the homeschool schedule (core meaning Science, math and literature)

:bananna-demon:

41 minutes ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Thanks. My Finnish mainly consists of different swear words and insults so I am not going to try to greet you back... 

56 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

It would be great if someone had twitter and could ask how the lawsuit against Gothard and ATI is going.

I would also want someone to ask if footsies is allowed before engagement or can it be done after engagement like hand holding or is it only saved for after the marriage vows.

I would also ask how much time each week is devoted to core curricula in the homeschool schedule (core meaning Science, math and literature)

:bananna-demon:

If someone will explain to me how all this Twitter stuff works, I will totally go sign up and try to remember to go and annoy UP and the Bates by reminding them of the dirty little secrets they are trying to keep hidden. I have figured out FB, but Twitter is a still a mystery to me. 

I want to ask if Kelly has gotten around to memorizing her children's names by now, or if Gil is still the parent who can name all the kids. 

2 hours ago, accountingstar said:

And the twitter thing is also a good move. Correct me if i'm wrong but we haven't had a twitter party with the duggars. Not even for the specials

14 hours ago, accountingstar said:

Alyssa didn't post her usual Sunday photo of her family going to church. She hasn't posted for over a week. Also, John hasn't posted anything on his Instagram for over a week. I am now in the boat that Alyssa is expecting.

I wonder if they were told to hold up their usual postings due to the whole "which Bates is pregnant?" crap Up is doing to drum up interest in the new season? 

9 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

I wonder if they were told to hold up their usual postings due to the whole "which Bates is pregnant?" crap Up is doing to drum up interest in the new season? 

I am feeling the same thing.

Imagine if they were screwing with us all and it was Kelly?

Realistically, I think it's Whitney. I think that it's least likely to be Erin, and that Alyssa and/or Michael may also be pregnant but not ready to announce (with Michael it would be very early, with Alyssa, I'm pretty sure last time she waited until she was well into the second trimester).

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Are you Finnish? My sister lived in Finland for a year. Then she studied the language in university. I think she's still pretty good at it. I picked up a few words and expressions from her, but I can't remember much now beyond, "Moi!" And salmiakki.

Yes I am. Funny to hear people from the other side of the world to study such a tiny and weird language ;) Well, say "Moi!" to your sister from me! 

27 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Imagine if they were screwing with us all and it was Kelly?

Realistically, I think it's Whitney. I think that it's least likely to be Erin, and that Alyssa and/or Michael may also be pregnant but not ready to announce (with Michael it would be very early, with Alyssa, I'm pretty sure last time she waited until she was well into the second trimester).

I honestly hope it's anyone BUT Erin.  With her medical history, becoming a baby factory is the worst possible thing for her.  Hopefully she and Chad take the doctors instructions to heart.

I'm thinking it may be Alyssa based on the baby positioning in her recent pictures though.  Especially if she has her mother's fertility.

1 minute ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Yes I am. Funny to hear people from the other side of the world to study such a tiny and weird language ;) Well, say "Moi!" to your sister from me! 

Haha, I will! Yeah, you don't meet with Finnish people all that often. I think the town she lived in was sort of in between Turku and Tampere, about eight years ago now. Time flies.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived