IGNORED

Bates Family Part 6

Coconut Flan

Just like their friends the Duggars, Gil and Kelly also have 19 kids! They've managed to marry off more of them than the Duggars have so far, and they have a show on a network called Up. So I guess maybe they're winning?

Part 1: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24788

Part 2: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25345

Part 3: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26562

Part 4: http://www.freejinger.org/topic/24178-bates-family-part-4/?page=1

Part 5: http://www.freejinger.org/topic/24837-bates-family-part-5/?page=1

Archive: viewforum.php?f=101

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But they currently have less blessings than the Duggars when you include grandbabies.  J&M have 19 (well 18 proper ones) kids and 6 grandbabies, the Bates only have 19 kids and 3 grandbabies.

The marriage don't count until its had a kid :snooty: 

The Duggars are winning in the quiverful blessing counting sense.

They are loosing in the respectability sense, both in real terms and in fundy terms - Josh is a blight on their reputation as a family (though I suspect the media coverage is what the fundies care about, more than the acts everyone else cares about)

Copied from the batesfamblog:

News from UP TV

We have exciting fresh from UP TV!

There will be a marathon on New Years Eve

There will also be a bit of news that will be announced in the marathon around 8pm ET

The 20th Bates contest is going to start again!

So what do you all think the news will be?  I think it's a toss up between Nathan's Courtship or Alyssa's pregnancy.  I'll go with the Courtship since it's so obvious.

To answer someone asking in the post before, I think Alyssa and John were "special friends" when Alyssa was 18. I remember in the comment section on Kelly's blog some fundie went ape sh!@ because Alyssa had a picture with her phone in her hand and they put on the image that she probably was texting John. The commenter flipped out saying how dare Kelly and Gil allow their daughter text some guy without boundaries and blah blah blah. Then Kelly gothardly told the lady to piss off, and explained the rules of dating with the family and how they set up boundaries but each kid chooses differently. Also admitting that they thought 18 was young but the J'chelle was married at 17 and stuff. 

I think this is what distinguish them from the Duggars. Yes they are more tied into ATI and Gothard but when it comes to dating they actually let their kids make more of their own decisions. I think Alyssa was holding hands after courting, Erin chose not to, Zach and Whitney kissed and hugged before marriage, and Michael/ella hugged before engagement. They seem to truly trust their kids judgement more than the Duggars and their crazy side hug rules.

Either way they are all equally crazy and watching the Bates show scares the crap out of me. I catch myself smiling and finding what they say endearing then realize how insane their beliefs are. They're not as rehearsed and stiff as the Duggars who barely joke and always say the same 10 phrases over and over again. "season in life" "special" "walk through". They are the real people who can pass the Kool Aid effectively. Notice that on their social media and blogs they actually answer people back and try to engage with them. They are seriously taking this platform as a way to share their ministry. Watch out people. 

Yeah, it's really special that Gil and Kelly 'trust' their kids enough to 'allow' them to decide whether or not they're going to hold hands before marriage. Get back to me when they give one of them the go ahead to kiss, go on unchaperoned dates, or, I don't know, have some actual fucking agency in their own relationships like the rest of the adult world. 

And no, they did not sanction Zach and Whitney's kissing before marriage. Zach and Whitney confessed. They thought they were wrong. They were ashamed. They apologized to Gil and Kelly, and were forgiven. 

7 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Yeah, it's really special that Gil and Kelly 'trust' their kids enough to 'allow' them to decide whether or not they're going to hold hands before marriage. Get back to me when they give one of them the go ahead to kiss, go on unchaperoned dates, or, I don't know, have some actual fucking agency in their own relationships like the rest of the adult world. 

And no, they did not sanction Zach and Whitney's kissing before marriage. Zach and Whitney confessed. They thought they were wrong. They were ashamed. They apologized to Gil and Kelly, and were forgiven. 

:greetings-clappingorange:

Gil and Kelly are good at giving the appearance of freedom without allowing a lot of actual freedom. The kids are free to make choices Gil and Kelly already approve of. They also let their sons get away with more, which is probably how Zach was able to kiss Whitney, and yet, he still felt so guilty about kissing the person he was going to marry that he had to confess. That is a sad reflection on how Gil and Kelly raised him. He felt guilty for doing something normal. 

With Gil's abuse scandal brewing, I think that the Bates are pretty tied with the Duggars. They are a bit ahead because their show hasn't been canceled. They are also better at managing their social media accounts and image better than the Duggars. 

The little Bates children went to Chuckie Cheese.

Baby Bradley. Just too cute.

The Family is doing interviews for their season 3 premier.

http://www.ibtimes.com/bringing-bates-family-reveals-unique-way-they-celebrate-christmas-why-their-kids-get-2238557

“We realize that Thanksgiving and Christmas are both big holidays for seeing family, and now that several of our children are married, we know there’s a pull to be at two places at once. To compensate, we chose a holiday that wasn’t so much in demand that we would all plan to reunite for each year,” Kelly Jo told IBT. The Bates matriarch revealed that although the family does try to get everyone together for Christmas, they have decided to make Valentine’s Day, as or they call it “I Love You Day,” their family’s main holiday. 

The “I Love You” holiday also means special gifts for Kelly Jo and Gil’s little ones. While their children receive presents from grandparents and relatives on Christmas, gift exchanges between immediate family members are held off until Feb. 14. 

I am not sure that the mid-marathon announcement will be Alyssa's pregnancy. I think it could just as likely be Whitney's or Michael's.

Nathan's courtship w/ Ashley is a good guess though

I'm going with courtship so that when it is featured in the new season it's already been introduced. Not that they won't explain it a million times but I'm hoping that don't thing a la 19KAC where it's never just Ashley, it's her full name any time Nathan talks about her.  

If it is the Nathan and Ashley storyline, UP can do a lot with the "big city ethnically diverse girl" meets "southern WASP redneck boy" factor.

2 hours ago, accountingstar said:

Honestly, Bradley may very well be the cutest baby I have EVER seen - and I have two kids of my own - ha! 

The I Love You Day thing is actually pretty brilliant - cheaper flights, easier to get time off of work, not having to deal with holiday shoppers, and not interfering with in-laws. I wonder if I could talk my family into this - lol!

1 hour ago, SunnySideUp said:

The I Love You Day thing is actually pretty brilliant - cheaper flights, easier to get time off of work, not having to deal with holiday shoppers, and not interfering with in-laws. I wonder if I could talk my family into this - lol!

And you could buy all the presents at after-Christmas sales

It's pretty weird that the Bates have such liberal courtship rules compared to the Duggars. Maybe Gil and Kelly wants to hurry up and marry them off, less mouths to feed.

16 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

They're not as rehearsed and stiff as the Duggars who barely joke and always say the same 10 phrases over and over again. "season in life" "special" "walk through". 

And don't forget my personal pet annoyance: "purpose to," followed closely by: "desires which cannot be righteously fullfilled."

15 minutes ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

And don't forget my personal pet annoyance: "purpose to," followed closely by: "desires which cannot be righteously fullfilled."

My personal favorite..."Dating with a purpose"

21 minutes ago, Toothfairy said:

It's pretty weird that the Bates have such liberal courtship rules compared to the Duggars. Maybe Gil and Kelly wants to hurry up and marry them off, less mouths to feed.

But they don't! Their courtship rules aren't significantly more liberal compared to the Duggars, they've just been insanely successful at somehow convincing even their critics that they are.

37 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

But they don't! Their courtship rules aren't significantly more liberal compared to the Duggars, they've just been insanely successful at somehow convincing even their critics that they are.

I thought they actually let their kids set their own courtship rules.  I know the Duggars claim that, but 3 courtships have all had the same set of rules.

2 hours ago, SunnySideUp said:

As someone that hates crowds, yes, yes, and yes! I already do most of my shopping online. Now if only I could get out of working in retail...

1 hour ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

Oh but the Bates do love one great fundy phrase: MAKING MEMORIES

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived