IGNORED

Bates Family Part 6

Coconut Flan

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone explain to me why Michaella is often called Michael?

Also, I know someone IRL who is named Michaella and is pronounced 'miss-shay-luh.' Do the Bates pronounce it differently? 

TIA!!! 

So Lawson just posted a video of him and Carson. This either means that he is in Arkansas after recording his song, Erin and Chad have come back home or it is an old video.

Chad and Erin were visiting Chad's family in Oklahoma for the Holidays. We know that they visited the Duggars on New Years.

29 minutes ago, Catholic and NOT 'ebil' said:

Can someone explain to me why Michaella is often called Michael?

Also, I know someone IRL who is named Michaella and is pronounced 'miss-shay-luh.' Do the Bates pronounce it differently? 

TIA!!! 

As far as i know  they pronounce it Mike-uh-luh. Her birth name was Michal (from the bible), but Kelly later decided she didn't like Michal, so she renamed her Michael instead. Unfortunately, she and Gil were broke, cheap, or both, and used a rule that allowed them to change one letter of a kid's name for free. They have said they call her both Michael and Michaela.

Well, I don't even want to know how many times people, when they only see their names and not them in person, think that Michael and Brandon are a gay couple. I mean, for rational people, such a mistake wouldn't be so bad, but we all know how much fundies love those ebil sodomites. So I guess she uses Michaela whenever possible.

25 minutes ago, 16strong said:

As far as i know  they pronounce it Mike-uh-luh. Her birth name was Michal (from the bible), but Kelly later decided she didn't like Michal, so she renamed her Michael instead. Unfortunately, she and Gil were broke, cheap, or both, and used a rule that allowed them to change one letter of a kid's name for free. They have said they call her both Michael and Michaela.

Thanks for the explanation! I'm LOL at the 'rule of one letter change for free.' 

What I'll never understand is why the fuck they didn't change her name to "Michala"?  Sure, it's not a traditional spelling of Michaella but adding the "a" at the end is far more feminizing than giving her a very traditional and VERY common BOY'S name.  Especially for people who are all about the gender roles.

(For the record I don't think it's a big deal at all to name a child born with a vulva "Michael" or "Ryan" or a child born with a penis "Ashley" or "Stacey" but these are fun-dies we're talking about!  WTF Bates family?)

You think a Fundie would know who Michal is before they named their child. Michel wasnt such a bad person, just a bit used and scorned. Her dad ,Saul married her off to David in hopes he would be killed, and she helped him escape through a window. . I dont know why Mickey can't be a nick name, instead of being so cheap to change only one letter..

The name change has been so confusing, poor Michael/Michaella all she does us explain her name. I have never heard the pronounciation "michael uh" before the Bates and assumed they made it up. Honestly Michael uh is so awkward sounding. I'm in new england, and here, the pronounciation "Mikayla" is a common trendy name for girls. Maybe where the Bates live, they never heard Mikayla. 

5 hours ago, 16strong said:

What's  wrong with these people? If you fuck up your kid's name, at least be a decent human being and fix it properly not fuck it up even more.

5 hours ago, Ursula said:

What I'll never understand is why the fuck they didn't change her name to "Michala"?  Sure, it's not a traditional spelling of Michaella but adding the "a" at the end is far more feminizing than giving her a very traditional and VERY common BOY'S name.  Especially for people who are all about the gender roles.

(For the record I don't think it's a big deal at all to name a child born with a vulva "Michael" or "Ryan" or a child born with a penis "Ashley" or "Stacey" but these are fun-dies we're talking about!  WTF Bates family?)

I think Ashley is actually a men's name, but over decades has been used for girls mostly. 

18 hours ago, accountingstar said:

My question is where was Katie, Tori, Warden, Jackson, and Isaiah for the holidays?

They were with Kelly, Gil and the little ones at the Farm for christmas

They have a kid named Warden? :my_confused:Some of these names are a little strange. 

It seems odd to me that they split up like that over Christmas. I've always thought of it more as a family holiday than a vacation holiday, if that makes sense. I guess it doesn't matter to them since they use Valentine's like that though. 

17 hours ago, Pretzel said:

I think Ashley is actually a men's name, but over decades has been used for girls mostly. 

Same with Stacey, too, I believe. A lot of modern girls names used to be boys names within the last hundred to two hundred years. It doesn't really go in the other direction, though. 

18 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

Cary and Tracy were also boys names -at least 100+ years ago...

If we go back even further, Shirley and Evelyn were men's names.

32 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

Cary and Tracy were also boys names -at least 100+ years ago...

Carrie is a girls name and Kari (pronounced Kar-ee) is, but I don't think I know of any Carys other than Cary Grant and Cary Elwes.

Alyssa didn't post her usual Sunday photo of her family going to church. She hasn't posted for over a week. Also, John hasn't posted anything on his Instagram for over a week. I am now in the boat that Alyssa is expecting.

Oh yeah, a current baby can only hide the next baby's "bump" for so long.

JTFC, their first two kids are going to be like 15 months apart in age.  GOOD LUCK with that you two!

2 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Same with Stacey, too, I believe. A lot of modern girls names used to be boys names within the last hundred to two hundred years. It doesn't really go in the other direction, though. 

Heh, that's actually why I chose the names I did...To show that unisex names are just fine buuuuut in today's world of 2016 MOST people who choose the name Ashley will give it to a female and Michael to a male and this was even more true in the late 80s/early 90s when Girl Michael was gestating/born.  Though I think you're still far more likely to see a male named Ashley (I personally know TWO born in the 80s, one with that as his first name, one as his middle) than a female named Michael.

But we'll discuss her name situation on and off until we're blue in the face while waiting for Alyssa to confirm she's knocked up again.  I kinda like that she's a Girl Michael because it allows me to make an extremely obscure Arrested Development reference every time I type her name and also for the "Michael and Brandon  - wait, is that a gay couple?? *clutches pearls*" it may lead to with fellow fun-dies who don't know them that well :D

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

Carrie is a girls name and Kari (pronounced Kar-ee) is, but I don't think I know of any Carys other than Cary Grant and Cary Elwes.

I knew a guy named Cary, who would now be in his 50's.  Name was inspired by Cary Grant (his mom was a big fan).

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

In Finland Kari is a man's name.

Alyssa didn't post her usual Sunday photo of her family going to church. She hasn't posted for over a week. Also, John hasn't posted anything on his Instagram for over a week. I am now in the boat that Alyssa is expecting.

I thought exactly the same thing! I wonder how long they can keep leghumpers who live near them from spilling the beans in ig comments.

The boys' names becoming girls names thing is always fascinating to me. I have a male friend who was named Morgan in 1984, when it was somewhat unisex but mostly a boys' name (from what his mom tells me). Around 1986, the trend of girls being named Morgan really hit. We always joked that he was destined to be a football player because that was the only instance we knew of where men (like Courtney Brown and I think there was one more) held what had become girls' names and didn't seem girly (nowadays, who cares, but in the Midwest back then as children, we did care).

I have heard that most of the -ey and -ie sounds were mostly associated with boys' names originally. Over time, the perceived relation of that ending sound to baby talk has moved them into the girls' realm. I have no idea if this is true, but it's an interesting theory.

8 hours ago, accountingstar said:

Alyssa, are you reading here? Or one of their good friends in FL? I think SOMEONE in their world has caught on, but we'll never know.

There are 2 videos posted of the 20th-Bates-Winner Emily, who got to visit them for the day. They called her a "young girl" hard to know if "young" means teenager or 20-something. She has 8 siblings or is one of 8; I couldn't catch which one. She wore a skirt. No way to tell if she's ATI/IBLP or was homeschooled or anything similar. Anyway, go have fun. I'm sure we'd love to pick her brain, but if she found out who's pregnant or courting, she's probably sworn to secrecy anyway.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived