IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Special, Sunday, December 27

Coconut Flan

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/28/2015 at 7:00 AM, InThePrayerCloset said:

umm... what? I think she did... am i missing something?? :huh:

C-sections are still giving birth.... and each twin must be born... she wasn't pregnant 19 times, bit i would say she gave birth 19 times... 

That's what I meant. She has two sets of twins. So it's 17times she's been pregnant not 19. Unless she counts jubilee and her other miscarriage so it's 19 times she's gotten pregnant but gave birth only 17times. If you get what I mean. But Michelle only counts 19kids not 21. 

Another midwestern-ism that bugs me (and I am from there) is "where is [name] at?" or "where is the pencil at?"

Yes!  This.  And the tendency to pronounce possessive plural 's' (e.g. "Girls's").

Another midwestern-ism that bugs me (and I am from there) is "where is [name] at?" or "where is the pencil at?"

Hey us Midwesterners are perfectly happy with "at" ending questions. It's like asking for the specific location someone went to - if someone asked me where is mom, I would just reply "she left the room" but adding the "at" indicates she left the room and went to the basement to do a load of laundry.

I love regional dialect/slang :-)

I watched the special last night and there was a moment in one of Jill's talking heads when she very clearly says, (paraphrasing here) "When we go to our mission in a remote location, I will be able to do some work as a midwife.  Not delivering babies probably because of Izzy, but giving advice." So she is NOT planning on doing any actual work, just getting her hands on some bellies, using her "doppler", and giving out nutritional information.

Given how full she is of old wives tales while also laughing at other women's old wives tales, that probably still won't be helpful. She'll probably advise them to pray for a good delivery. That'll ward off complications.

4 hours ago, Whoosh said:

I can't speak for missegeno, but this has been a tough one for me.  I did move to the south for several years, so I will occasionally go with y'all.  Or sometimes I just draw out the heeeeeyyyy or the yooooouuuuu (as in heeeeeyyyyy yoooouuuuuu).  Neither is ideal for me and sometimes you guys really seems to be the only thing that gets the job done.  Will be watching for any other solutions to this most important dilemma that has confounded me for years.

May I suggest the Missouri/southern option of you'uns?

As in, "What are yo'uns doin' for New Years?"

21 hours ago, Becket70 said:

They must be aware how well the adoption story-line played on The Little Couple.

Wasn't a story line on the LC. It was their life. They went through hell and high water to try to have children before adopting. Even then, two international adoptions were not a piece of cake. Nothing was staged just to draw viewers.

4 hours ago, ArmchairTurnip said:

My East Coast husband gets a kick out of the Midwestern predilection for "sack" over "bag",

Not in Illinois, its bag.

Could someone with more ability than I please show images of Anna's bling (and lack of bling) from episodes 2 and 3?

9 hours ago, Coy Koi said:

I want to teach these uneducated, inarticulate fundies a new word: WHEN. Not "whenever". That adoptive mom said it too! She said their kid was about 9 months old "whenever" they started the adoption process. I'd never heard anyone other than the Duggars do this, but perhaps it runs rampant in their circle? It's bizarre. It could be added to the drinking game. As if we're not all drunk enough on their idiocy already.

It's really annoying, but I think it's a regional thing, not just a fundie thing. The first time I heard that was when Christina Aguilera went on her press tour for her first album. I haven't heard her say it in awhile (though she does a lot less interviews now) but when she first started she did it just about every interview.

30 minutes ago, missegeno said:

Given how full she is of old wives tales while also laughing at other women's old wives tales, that probably still won't be helpful. She'll probably advise them to pray for a good delivery. That'll ward off complications.

True, but if she's going to have limited roles, it's more likely that there will be people above her who will catch her if she starts on any fundie or pseudoscientific bs and tell her to knock it off. Limited involvement also means she'll be less likely to build up the language skills needed to teach women any of her bad ideas.

I just watched part 3...Anna is absolutely beautiful in my opinion...I wish a handsome rich athlete would fall madly in love with her, sweep that girl off her feet and rescue her kids from Duggarsville.  Poor girl has done her part of the deal and was screwed out of a fairy tale.

I never heard anyone say "the doctor says" or "the tech says"...no doctor visits?

I felt so bad for Anna when while in the living room scene Jessa asked Anna about the last few months.  Was this the first time she got to talk to her since?

Are sisters there to help her raise the baby I wonder?

There's no reason why Anna shouldn't look gorgeous on camera, she has multiple Duggar girls at her disposal to curl her hair and assist with makeup, plus whatever TLC provides if anything.  

I'm another that wants to see the two different ring sets.  This to me is something that is unusual and noteworthy and could have been pointed out by the director, "Lets see your rings, Anna.  Isn't that a new wedding band and engagement ring?"  On this show only the most mundane details are worth talking about (Did you know that Derick has a large foot/shoe size?!) Details that are interesting but possibly embarrassing get swept under the carpet and are only revealed by eagle-eyed FJers.

34 minutes ago, biblelandjunkie said:

I just watched part 3...Anna is absolutely beautiful in my opinion...I wish a handsome rich athlete would fall madly in love with her, sweep that girl off her feet and rescue her kids from Duggarsville.  Poor girl has done her part of the deal and was screwed out of a fairy tale.

I never heard anyone say "the doctor says" or "the tech says"...no doctor visits?

I felt so bad for Anna when while in the living room scene Jessa asked Anna about the last few months.  Was this the first time she got to talk to her since?

Are sisters there to help her raise the baby I wonder?

I feel like that scene was set up by the producers and neither Anna or Jessa was there voluntarily. Poor Anna had to spill her guts to the camera, and the world, for a paycheck. And poor Jessa had to sit and feign concern or interest or some other feeling that's outside her wheelhouse* for a paycheck. I feel bad for both of them.

*I don't think Jessa is a bitch, or unfeeling. I think she's an INTJ, and they aren't known for being in touch with their feelings or easily sharing them with others. That shit is private, and they keep it locked down.

I am so glad this thread drift seems calm and curious. I like this. BTW, here in Alabama we call a ravine a holler, dinner means lunch, and supper is the evening meal.

Oh, and college football is like a religion. ROLL TIDE!!!!

21 minutes ago, halcionne said:

I feel like that scene was set up by the producers and neither Anna or Jessa was there voluntarily. Poor Anna had to spill her guts to the camera, and the world, for a paycheck. And poor Jessa had to sit and feign concern or interest or some other feeling that's outside her wheelhouse* for a paycheck. I feel bad for both of them.

*I don't think Jessa is a bitch, or unfeeling. I think she's an INTJ, and they aren't known for being in touch with their feelings or easily sharing them with others. That shit is private, and they keep it locked down.

This. I get the feeling that Jessa isn't a horrible bitch, but much more reserved and doesn't like to share her emotions all the time. At least two eyewitness accounts we've had on this site have claimed that she was actually pretty nice in person while Ben was a douche, and you cannot fake the joy and love you see on her face in the photos where she's holding her son, which leads me to believe that she's probably a nice enough human being with human emotions, but she's not going to reveal those emotions to the whole world unless she's good and ready (or it serves her well to do so). Do I think she's a bit smug? Yeah, but I don't think she's a bitch or a bad person.

2 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

That's what I meant. She has two sets of twins. So it's 17times she's been pregnant not 19. Unless she counts jubilee and her other miscarriage so it's 19 times she's gotten pregnant but gave birth only 17times. If you get what I mean. But Michelle only counts 19kids not 21. 

I think the best way to put it is that Michelle has been pregnant 19 times but only 17 pregnancies have resulted in live births.  She has had one miscarriage and one stillbirth.   She has been in labor 17 times (18 if you count Jubilee, the stillbirth) but she has given birth 19 times (20 if you count the stillbirth) because each twin is born individually.  A twin birth consists of one labor but two births.  Sometimes the second twin can be born right after the first, but other times the mother will labor for a while after the first baby. (The2nd baby needs to position in the birth canal and more contractions to deliver the second baby are involved).  

So when Jessa said that her mother had done "this" 19 times she was correct if she meant "delivered live babies," but incorrect if she meant "gone through labor" (it was 17 or 18 times) or "been pregnant"( it was 19 times).

Not that it matters.  When people have just gone through labor they can get their details mixed up.

Quick question: does anyone else fee like Jill having a Doppler is kind of like giving a kid who wants to be a doctor a *real working stethescope!*? By itself is a Doppler good for much of anything? Maybe I'm just cynical because her expertise in delivering a child seems to be on par with anyone here delivering an accidental litter of kittens, but it just seems like she shows up with her doctor toys and wants to play grownup. And the idea of someone from Arkansas, land of fried pig's ears and tater tots, telling these people who are living on fresh fruit, vegetables, and legumes that they grow, how to eat is just so so backward. You people have pimento cheese, have a seat, please

Michelle had two miscarriages.  The last pregnancy didn't last long enough to be a stillbirth despite Michelle calling it one.

4 minutes ago, Mrsaztx said:

Quick question: does anyone else fee like Jill having a Doppler is kind of like giving a kid who wants to be a doctor a *real working stethescope!*? By itself is a Doppler good for much of anything? Maybe I'm just cynical because her expertise in delivering a child seems to be on par with anyone here delivering an accidental litter of kittens, but it just seems like she shows up with her doctor toys and wants to play grownup. And the idea of someone from Arkansas, land of fried pig's ears and refer tots, telling these people who are living on fresh fruit, vegetables, and legumes that they grow, how to eat is just so so backward. You people have pimento cheese, have a seat, please

Doppler's are easy and cheap to get, I had one during my 2nd pregnancy, it was only about 40 bucks. But it was nice to have in the early months, before movement, really gave me some peace of mind. 

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived