IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Special, Sunday, December 27

Coconut Flan

Regional dialect fascinates me. I grew up in the Midwest, but in a town near an Air Force Base so we all got laughed at until we stopped saying "pop" for "soda" and pronouncing "bag" like "beg"

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2) Did the Dillards clarify which organization that they are working with? Didn't Derick refer to language classes almost being completed and then they would be assigned an 8 month mission assignment? I thought they were not mission qualified by the parameters of their old church, so who are working with/for?????

Hey Derick, 8 days and 8 months are two different things, did you mention the right one? I'm sure some Duggar BS will call you back to Arkansas before 8 months is over...

Jill couldn't handle the prereqs for nursing unless she *completely* revamped her mindset and entire approach to life. I took many of the same classes as premed prereqs and, while I did well, there were many times I struggled despite having taken honors algebra, trig, and about half a semester of precalc in high school (had to transfer schools my senior year and the new school didn't put me in any math classes). She would probably have to take several math classes before she could even tackle chemistry, and I don't see Jill dedicating years of her life just to getting down the foundation for the prereqs before she could even dream of starting her nursing training.

She could totally do something like become a CNA, though!

11 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Regional dialect fascinates me. I grew up in the Midwest, but in a town near an Air Force Base so we all got laughed at until we stopped saying "pop" for "soda" and pronouncing "bag" like "beg"

I got made fun of after leaving the midwest because I would apparently say "top" or "pot" in a way that was heard as "tap" or "pat." Sometimes when I get lazy, I still hear the "aaaaaaa" come out of my mouth and it makes me cringe. When I hear it from myself, all I can think of is Janice on Friends and that horrible laugh.

1 minute ago, lizbeth said:

Jill couldn't handle the prereqs for nursing unless she *completely* revamped her mindset and entire approach to life. I took many of the same classes as premed prereqs and, while I did well, there were many times I struggled despite having taken honors algebra, trig, and about half a semester of precalc in high school (had to transfer schools my senior year and the new school didn't put me in any math classes). She would probably have to take several math classes before she could even tackle chemistry, and I don't see Jill dedicating years of her life just to getting down the foundation for the prereqs before she could even dream of starting her nursing training.

CNA= long, hard, physical work with crappy hours, like (keeping it Duggarcentric) starting at 0645 or working from 11PM to 7AM- can you imagine ANY Duggar following through with that kind or job or hours commitment? From someone who HAS done it....

Nope (NFW).

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

CNA= long, hard, physical work with crappy hours, like (keeping it Duggarcentric) starting at 0645 or working from 11PM to 7AM- can you imagine ANY Duggar following through with that kind or job or hours commitment? From someone who HAS done it....

Nope (NFW).

Well, I said she could *become* one, not that she could keep up the gig. I know lots of people who completed the program because they thought it'd look good on an application to med school or PA school but never did much with it. But yeah, that's true. I don't really see any of the married Duggar women and a lot of the Duggar men following through with anything full-time.

5 minutes ago, lizbeth said:

My daughter is an RN and had a masters in nursing. I know the studying she had to do to get her RN and she was a very good student with good study habits and I just do not think Jill can do it. I don't think she has the drive or the basic skill set to even start off with. Plus, her superior attitude will take her no where. She mishandled her own delivery on so many facets that it is scary. I also don't believe she feels she mishandled any of her delivery decisions which is triple scary.

I got bothered by the orphanage scene with the crayons and paper. Derrick seemed completely ill at ease and out of his element. The way they kept harping on just "one crayon and just one paper" really bothered me. Those children have basically nothing of their own so please have a little empathy for the situation they are in. It was a camera scene and nothing more for them. I got the feeling they cared nothing about the children in the orphanage except they made good props. I also sometimes feel that Jill says what ever she feels is appropriate for where she is at the moment. At the midwife center, she wanted to use all her "skills" to help pregnant woman. At the orphanage, she suddenly wanted to run and orphanage. Really? I just don't think little Jilly has any idea who she is or what she wants to be.

I also feel both girls will attempt to deliver at home again. Neither of them have thought anything about the "what ifs"  of their deliveries. They have babies and that is all that mattered. It is very troubling the risk this family takes with their laboring mothers. Michelle went to the hospital. Are the girls not allowed to?

4 minutes ago, Valerie3kids said:

Michelle went to the hospital. Are the girls not allowed to?

I think Michelle went to the hospital because doctors insisted upon it. I remember an episode where she discusses how she came to realize that natural births are the way to go when she had her first home birth. So she continued to home birth until she had to go to the hospital because they call her "high risk." And the way she says it, she makes this whole face that shows that she just thinks it was a ridiculous notion.

Very scary that she has passed that attitude on to her daughters.

32 minutes ago, missegeno said:

I think Michelle went to the hospital because doctors insisted upon it. I remember an episode where she discusses how she came to realize that natural births are the way to go when she had her first home birth. So she continued to home birth until she had to go to the hospital because they call her "high risk." And the way she says it, she makes this whole face that shows that she just thinks it was a ridiculous notion.

Oh yes, I remember that. She seemed like the thought of her being termed "high risk" was the stupidest thing she had ever heard of. I was shocked but not really. Woman really are not made to produce that many children plus she had C-sections in her past. It is very scary that she has passed this to her daughters. It almost seems as if the mother's health does not matter?

She seemed very detached with Jessa's birth. Her "all is ok" whispery voice has gotten worse. I could not have watched my daughter go through that without an emotional struggle myself to stay calm.

37 minutes ago, missegeno said:

Her only home births were with Jinger and (?) Joseph(?)-

Had she been so pro home-birth, I would have thought that Josh, Jill, Jessa and Josiah would have also been home births.

I think she had hospital births when money/insurance allowed.

Am I too late for the dialect discussion? I took the quiz that was posted and apparently could get by quite well in Florida - which sounds great as we've just been buried under 6 inches of snow.

I live in Northern Ontario, where we have no particular regional accents or dialects other than some of the stereotypically Canadian things (I do say "eh". More often than I thought) but my family are from the Maritimes and I've grown into a weird sort of hybrid accent that lends a funny little "a" sound in words like "car", "bar", etc.

I say both "supper" and "dinner" interchangeably, and although in Canada it's definitely "pop" and not "soda", it's never been an issue for me when travelling in the States because I just ask for Pepsi.

When I was in England my husband took me to a restaurant where the sweet waitress had a terrible time understanding me, and after trying to get "water" for five minutes I finally meekly asked for a Pepsi, which was immediately understood.

I thought that in the orphanage scene, Derick seemed a little lost - like he was trying very hard to manage in Spanish but the number of kids was overwhelming him. Jill, who has had plenty more experience being surrounded by chattering children, seemed reasonably engaged with them despite not knowing what they were saying - or at least, she was making an effort to look engaged, which is both worrying and probably closer to the truth.

19 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Her only home births were with Jinger and (?) Joseph(?)-

Had she been so pro home-birth, I would have thought that Josh, Jill, Jessa and Josiah would have also been home births.

I think she had hospital births when money/insurance allowed.

I just rewatched that section (Jill's delivery episode, about 6 minutes in) to see what words she uses. She actually doesn't mention location for the pre-high risk children, just the natural status, so I think you may be right.

4 hours ago, RosyDaisy said: I am so glad this thread drift seems calm and curious. I like this. BTW, here in Alabama we call a ravine a holler, dinner means lunch, and supper is the evening meal.

Oh, and college football is like a religion. ROLL TIDE!!!!

I'm in North Alabama --- straight up fundyland. And Roll tide!

Well, howdy neighbor! North Alabama here too. Bama's gonna take that championship just like Derrick Henry won the Heisman, and thar's gonna be a party up in here! ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

2 hours ago, missegeno said:

I got made fun of after leaving the midwest because I would apparently say "top" or "pot" in a way that was heard as "tap" or "pat." Sometimes when I get lazy, I still hear the "aaaaaaa" come out of my mouth and it makes me cringe. When I hear it from myself, all I can think of is Janice on Friends and that horrible laugh.

I also will say mat with a hard a or talk about my 'Mam' instead of my Mom when I am tired. I also cringe! I have lived outside the Midwest for 10 years so a lot of it has faded...

There is a Walmart commercial where two ladies in Aurora IL talk about 'Bax Taps' (box tops) that captures it perfectly!

When in Alabama does the university print things as "roll tide roll" and not "roll tide, roll"? I'm near Texas Tech and cannot stand how on their officially licensed merchandise they have "wreck 'em Tech" instead of "wreck 'em, Tech". You are a university, for cripe's sake, punctuate correctly. 

4 hours ago, RosyDaisy said: I am so glad this thread drift seems calm and curious. I like this. BTW, here in Alabama we call a ravine a holler, dinner means lunch, and supper is the evening meal. Oh, and college football is like a religion. ROLL TIDE!!!!

I'm in North Alabama --- straight up fundyland. And Roll tide!

Well, howdy neighbor! North Alabama here too. Bama's gonna take that championship just like Derrick Henry won the Heisman, and thar's gonna be a party up in here! ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

Degreed MSU Spartan here. Go green! Go white!

Michelle is not a pro homebirth at any cost nut like a lot of fundies.  I think Jill and Jessa having or trying for home births reflects nothing more than their personal decisions.  They are young and given the quality of the "midwife" they both likely used are poorly educated in the real risks vs benefits of homebirth vs hospital.   Add in the religious subculture where homebirth somehow conveys God's favor, these women are going to at least  try.    

When in Alabama does the university print things as "roll tide roll" and not "roll tide, roll"? I'm near Texas Tech and cannot stand how on their officially licensed merchandise they have "wreck 'em Tech" instead of "wreck 'em, Tech". You are a university, for cripe's sake, punctuate correctly. 

I would love to hear you say that in a room full of Bama fans on game day. And just to piss you off.....ROLL TIDE ROLL. Yeah, I do know better and just don't give a damn.

7 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

I would love to hear you say that in a room full of Bama fans on game day. And just to piss you off.....ROLL TIDE ROLL. Yeah, I do know better and just don't give a damn.

It doesn't bother me when individuals do it, az lng az it's n0t txtspk. My opinion changes when it's the slogan of an institution who's sole purpose is to educate. I also find it weird when people in the south are fans of a university they never even dreamed of attending cough*Bin*cough

57 minutes ago, AreteJo said:

Michelle is not a pro homebirth at any cost nut like a lot of fundies.  I think Jill and Jessa having or trying for home births reflects nothing more than their personal decisions.  They are young and given the quality of the "midwife" they both likely used are poorly educated in the real risks vs benefits of homebirth vs hospital.   Add in the religious subculture where homebirth somehow conveys God's favor, these women are going to at least  try.    

I really wish Michelle had educated her daughters more about hospital vs. home birth and the risks involved in each. If there's anything she actually might be halfway knowledgeable about, it's that.

I think that in Jill and especially Jessa's cases, it has more to do with lack of funds for a hospital birth and lack of knowledge regarding the workings of medical, health insurance. I doubt the Seewalds have health care insurance.

2 hours ago, pnwgypsy said:

Degreed MSU Spartan here. Go green! Go white!

Chiming in for the college talk but for Hockey. I would say that you guys are are going down but you are already lost so badly. Even lost NMU.

41 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I think that in Jill and especially Jessa's cases, it has more to do with lack of funds for a hospital birth and lack of knowledge regarding the workings of medical, health insurance. I doubt the Seewalds have health care insurance.

Derick was still working at Walmart. They would have to pay a deductible, but they had to pay quite a bit for the c section. Wonder if they ever paid the hospital now that they're out Of the country. I would think Derick was responsible enough to do that.

I have never understood with Jill's long labor and then c-section why neither the midwife or Jill realized that the baby was breech. I thought they could tell by feel where the baby's head and butt were and they should have known that a passed due baby would be too big to turn. I'm no expert but these things seem fairly basic.

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived