IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Special, Sunday, December 27

Coconut Flan

4 minutes ago, ladyaudley said:

I hope it's a bag cause a sack is for balls

My East Coast husband gets a kick out of the Midwestern predilection for "sack" over "bag", especially at Christmas when the community service group I'm in organizes the annual Santa Visit at the local library.  Part of the prep involves filling goodie bags for the kids, which leads to messages on our voice mail about "how many Santa sacks" to pick up at Costco.

Also, the eternal question at the grocery store:  "Do you need a sack for that?"

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ArmchairTurnip said:

Also, the eternal question at the grocery store:  "Do you need a sack for that?"

An even more awkward question at a sports Store. 

Okay, I'm from the Deep South and we say 'y'all and any soft drink is a coke.

I've always wanted to meet someone on real life who says coke for any pop/soft drink/soda! My mom would always tell me about it as part of her attempts to teach me about the world. And that particular one always seemed so interesting because I think most people in the areas where I've been would be confused if somebody inquired as to the varieties of coke available.

"Uh, we have regular coke and diet coke, I guess"

"oh, no sprite?"

2 minutes ago, missegeno said:

I've always wanted to meet someone on real life who says coke for any pop/soft drink/soda! My mom would always tell me about it as part of her attempts to teach me about the world. And that particular one always seemed so interesting because I think most people in the areas where I've been would be confused if somebody inquired as to the varieties of coke available.

"Uh, we have regular coke and diet coke, I guess"

"oh, no sprite?"

I had a friend that referred to it as coke (grew up in Georgia) , anyway, we went out to a restaurant (in MT) and she ordered, " a coke, Mt Dew". she got Coke and MT dew, mixed together, haha!

Also, take note TLC: discussions of soda/pop and sack/bag are literally more interesting than arguably the most exciting of your Duggar specials

I remember traveling in the south when we were younger and we stopped to get food and my stepdad ordered a Coke and the waitress asked if he wanted a "Coke Coke or Pepsi Coke". We were all so confused . He was like "Coke- that's why I said Coke!" Lol 

3 minutes ago, Marissap said:

I remember traveling in the south when we were younger and we stopped to get food and my stepdad ordered a Coke and the waitress asked if he wanted a "Coke Coke or Pepsi Coke". We were all so confused . He was like "Coke- that's why I said Coke!" Lol 

Who even has both Coke and Pepsi products? Restaurants seem to always just have one.

56 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Personally I'm of the opinion that ever since "My Cousin Vinny," it is appropriate for anyone, anywhere in the world, to say "youse" :my_tongue:

See now I have always understood the correct usage to be "yous guys" as in "all y'all" - which brings me back to the same dang problem 

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 9:38 PM, Buzzard said:

NOTE - IT APPEARS THAT HER WEDDING RING IS A DIFFERENT RING THAN THE BLING THAT SHE HAD LAST EPISODE

@Buzzard I thought I saw that too, glad you caught it in your recap. The ring in the 3rd episode is a lot smaller than the one in the 2nd episode. I wonder why....

Just now, quiversR4hunting said:

@Buzzard I thought I saw that too, glad you caught it in your recap. The ring in the 3rd episode is a lot smaller than the one in the 2nd episode. I wonder why....

Convert all remaining cash to jewelry so its not traceable in the lawsuit?

16 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Who even has both Coke and Pepsi products? Restaurants seem to always just have one.

So this was probably 25 years ago so things have changed since then!

Just now, Buzzard said:

Convert all remaining cash to jewelry so its not traceable in the lawsuit?

Good thought! Since TLC likes to mess with time lines, I was thinking episode 3 was filmed first and between episode 3 and 2 Josh gave her make-up bling.

1 minute ago, Marissap said:

So this was probably 25 years ago so things have changed since then!

18 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

There is a restaurant I go to that has Pepsi as fountain drink and coke products in the can. They do exist. And all you Southerns that call everything Coke- confuse the rest of us! ;) 

Episode 2 was definitely filmed last.  I think they saw the writing on the wall, that there was NO interest in the Dillard fake ministry and they simply didnt have the content to fill 3 hours without including Meechelle, who likely mugged for the camera every time it was there.  They included Anna when the tabloids showed interest in whether she would leave Josh.  They added ALL that footage from episode 1 about the siblings having a hard time and Anna's "candid" episode 2 interview in an attempt to convince advertisers that they are relevant. 

I'm still waiting on the numbers from Sunday, but I truly hope they are abysmal. 

When I moved from Massachusetts to Kansas as an 8 year old soda became pop, fireflies became lightning bugs and lollipops became suckers. I didn't care for any of that. Then when I moved to Oregon it was all about smoking people out, not up. Also, "right on" and "no worries" are in everyone's vocabularies. People sometimes can hear all of it in my accent. That's partly conscientous. I like sounding like my Long Island New Yawkah relatives. I thought the word pop was just absurd. On the other hand, I've integrated y'all into my writing and speech. Native Oregonians find that rather amusing. Words are cool.

9 hours ago, InThePrayerCloset said:

I'm in Australia but my 2 aunts are in Mobile and Tuscaloosa, after growing up in upstate NY. The abortion billboards, plethora of churches, and gun shops shock me ever single time i visit..

I met a young many by the name of "Four" last time i was in Mobile... his name is Bob Smith VI, so he just goes by "Four"... 

All the "the 3rds" I have met in the South-- including a pre-school playmate of my daughters', go by "Tres" which is pronounced "Trays" or "Tray"(slow drawl on the "ay") depending on the region.

2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Everytime I hear 'you guys' I think of the Goonies "HEY YOU GUYS!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vv5CsP1pAg

And every time I hear, "HEY YOU GUYS!"  I  am right back in my 70s  childhood listening to Rita Moreno yell it out at the beginning of The Electric  Company.  (I'd post the link to the YouTube video of this but I'm on my phone and don't know how )   Ah yes,  back to the days when Morgan Freeman was the Easy Reader.

2 minutes ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

And every time I hear, "HEY YOU GUYS!"  I  am right back in my 70s  childhood listening to Rita Moreno yell it out at the beginning of The Electric  Company.  (I'd post the link to the YouTube video of this but I'm on my phone and don't know how )   Ah yes,  back to the days when Morgan Freeman was the Easy Reader.

To this day whenever I see Morgan Freeman my first thought is of Easy Reader! That was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid. Anyone remember Zoom? Bonus points if you know the mailing address.

5 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I still cant get over Jill handing out a single fucking crayon to those children.  What kind of torture is that?  Here's an entire coloring book and you may only have BLUE.  No pink for you, you're a boy!

@happy atheist thoughts on "coloring with a single crayon" as a post count?

For what it is worth, I have witnessed parents in the US doling out crayons to their kid "one at a time" at restaurants.  The idea is that the kid should not be spreading their crayons all over the place but should concentrate on one color at a time.  I don't agree with it in general, but possibly if there is a shortage of crayons, there might be a reason to have the kids take turns with each color?

16 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

When I moved from Massachusetts to Kansas as an 8 year old soda became pop

When I was a young'un in MA, there was no such thing as "soda".  All flavored, carbonated beverages were referred to as "tonic".  

As late as the early 80's the McDonalds I worked at had "Orange Tonic" on the menu board list of beverages.

10 minutes ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Here you go, with bonus Morgan Freeman!

1 hour ago, missegeno said:

I have had a lot of trouble with this one. It doesn't feel right to just leave it as just "you." I think i usually say "you all" but sometimes I catch "y'all" coming out of my mouth (perhaps I watch the Duggars too much). I have also done the whole "what does everyone want for dinner" option, but it doesn't feel right either. Apparently I still haven't figured it out.

I use y'all a lot in the South, but with non-southerners I find that "you folks" or "all of you" is what comes out of my mouth.

I've heard of tonic being used as a catch all. I never saw it. I know at all my kiddy parties it was soda. But maybe soda is even more specific to ny and nj. I know the main reason I did was because my dad did. orange tonic sounds icky. I can see why that didn't really spread too widely

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived