IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Special, Sunday, December 27

Coconut Flan

1 minute ago, YourGodIsNotMine said: "Whenever" is regional or southern. I'm from a state nestled in the Appalachian Mountains, and that word is commonly used there. God knows we're not fundies, though. We're regular old beer-loving sinners.

Okay, thanks for letting me know! I have an ex-boyfriend from rural Arkansas, and I had just been wishing I could ask him if that was something they say there! He's black though, so he probably has a totally different set of language patterns than them. There were certainly a few things he said that sounded really weird to my Pacific-Northwest ears. But still, he never sounded moronic like the Duggars. Probably because he's not a moron.

My friends from growing up in Ohio say "whenever" for "when." I catch myself saying it occasionally in casual conversation despite having had graduate education. But it is definitely one of the things I noticed I needed to ditch when I moved to the PNW. That plus "pop" and "you guys."

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, missegeno said:

That plus "pop" and "you guys."

That's so funny because I actually say both of those things! Lifelong Seattle resident here. People do think "pop" is mildly funny occasionally, but I only recently even learned that some people have a problem with "you guys".

5 minutes ago, missegeno said: That plus "pop" and "you guys."

That's so funny because I actually say both of those things! Lifelong Seattle resident here. People do think "pop" is mildly funny occasionally, but I only recently even learned that some people have a problem with "you guys".

That's awesome! Nobody called me out on the pop thing, but I definitely had people express their dislike of me saying "you guys" when I moved to Portland. My rural WA raised bf tells me that people say it in the country, but people in the cities avoid it more (we had a big discussion of it when I made him take the dialect test that someone posted not long ago).

Hahaha ladyaudley aye we do have that habit. 

I also catch myself and try and stop it but mostly fail.

I love accents and what folks say that means something else to someone else.

its the but the now after every sentence and you are waiting on them finishing but I think it's a teen thing 

One of my favourite games with my pupils is this:

"Miss, can I go to the toilet?"
"No."

"How no?"

"By staying in your seat."

"...whit?"

Eventually they get it. 

1 hour ago, missegeno said:

My friends from growing up in Ohio say "whenever" for "when." I catch myself saying it occasionally in casual conversation despite having had graduate education. But it is definitely one of the things I noticed I needed to ditch when I moved to the PNW. That plus "pop" and "you guys."

Okay, I'm from the Deep South and we say 'y'all and any soft drink is a coke. When i went up to middle Michigan a year back and had honestly never heard the term 'pop' used for soda. 

I went out to the movies and consession guy asked if I wanted 'pop' and I actually asked him what it was. I thought it may be candy or something. I've never received a more confused look.

I don't exactly like Jessa, but I actually sorta bonded with her over the whole birth ordeal...well, found common ground with her.

I came a little later to the Duggar show than most of the people here. I had heard of them but hadn't watched when the first Josh scandal broke (should mention I've always been morbidly fascinated by fundies.) I had seen commercials for the show - when Jill and then Jessa got married in quick succession, I was almost confused as to if they were the same girl/special at first, then upon closer inspection, realized the second girl looked a little different. I thought she looked like she might be a real bitch (whereas the first girl just looked rather plain.) Some girls just kinda get that bitch look about them, and Jessa's got that going on in spades.

So I start reading what everyone has to say at FJ, and what do you know, a lot of other people also think she's a bitch. Cold, flat, curt, disinterested, self-centered. I did not see much to relate to until I heard about the birth and noticed there's a lot that's similar to my own birth experience.

My son was smaller (7 lbs) but by the time I got to the hospital, it was too late for epidural. I had a CNM for delivery, and at one point, she said to me, "Your baby has dark hair" and it made me want to push all the harder to get him born all the faster to just be able to finally see him and hold him. After he was born, I felt a gush of blood leave my body, and I heard someone say "she's hemorrhaging!" They grabbed a plastic basin and held it under me, and I actually heard the blood hit the plastic. Then they grabbed a towel and applied pressure, etc.

I didn't need a transfusion, but otherwise, after hearing about similarities between her birth experience and mine, I can almost view her as someone other than a vain, stuck-up little priss who spends entirely too much time admiring her own self in the mirror and through selfies.

Oh, Jessa...truly modest Christian women don't pose for as many cameras as possible while as pregnant as possible as often as possible and slap them up on the interwebs for all of the world and posterity to see.

Birth agony with SpurgeBob can get you back on the path to redemption in the eye of the viewing public. Learn from it. We want to see you being a real person, one actually feels the same emotions that everyone else feels, not all fake smiles that prattle on like a mindless drone. You want us to watch you as something other than a freakshow, give us something to relate to.

2 hours ago, missegeno said:

It's NOT SODA! 

I live in the PNW and have said pop my whole life...granted I spent a ton of time in Montana (as in all my schooling!) . But I hear pop said out here too. Never heard contention with "you guys" though....

2 hours ago, missegeno said:

What do you use instead of you guys? I didn't realize there was a negative connotation with that.

8 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

What do you use instead of you guys? I didn't realize there was a negative connotation with that.

I've heard people say it's sexist, because "we're not *all* men here!!! Sheesh!" Which honestly seems a little dramatic to me

34 minutes ago, YourGodIsNotMine said:

It's NOT SODA! 

It IS soda, so there! :playful2: (ok, at least in northern New Jersey )

Also, I put my groceries in a bag, not a sack.

18 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

I can't speak for missegeno, but this has been a tough one for me.  I did move to the south for several years, so I will occasionally go with y'all.  Or sometimes I just draw out the heeeeeyyyy or the yooooouuuuu (as in heeeeeyyyyy yoooouuuuuu).  Neither is ideal for me and sometimes you guys really seems to be the only thing that gets the job done.  Will be watching for any other solutions to this most important dilemma that has confounded me for years.

2 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

Glaswegians also often say "whenever" instead of "when". 

I think this is why some regional dialects in the US use it--because they're descended from people who used it. Language evolves (or doesn't) based on migration patterns, isolation, etc. It's fascinating.

It would be nice if members snarked on Duggarisms, not Southernisms. If someone doesn't know which category a behavior falls into, other posters will quickly clarify.

I guess the gender-neutral "everyone" or "all of you/ you all" as in "what is everyone doing for the weekend?" Or "where are you all going to dinner?" But I'm kind of the opinion that if someone vocally opposed such a colloquialism they are the type to have lots of bumper stickers and my liking someone is indirectly proportional to the amount of bumper stickers they have

33 minutes ago, Gossamer1 said:

It IS soda, so there! :playful2: (ok, at least in northern New Jersey )

Also, I put my groceries in a bag, not a sack.

I hope it's a bag cause a sack is for balls. 

My husband is from NYC and we have our disagreements. From my point of view: Pop, not soda. Thaw, not defrost. Supper, not dinner. Presents, not gifts. 

I have had a lot of trouble with this one. It doesn't feel right to just leave it as just "you." I think i usually say "you all" but sometimes I catch "y'all" coming out of my mouth (perhaps I watch the Duggars too much). I have also done the whole "what does everyone want for dinner" option, but it doesn't feel right either. Apparently I still haven't figured it out.

1 minute ago, missegeno said:

I have had a lot of trouble with this one. It doesn't feel right to just leave it as just "you." I think i usually say "you all" but sometimes I catch "y'all" coming out of my mouth (perhaps I watch the Duggars too much). I have also done the whole "what does everyone want for dinner" option, but it doesn't feel right either. Apparently I still haven't figured it out.

Personally I'm of the opinion that ever since "My Cousin Vinny," it is appropriate for anyone, anywhere in the world, to say "youse" :my_tongue:

I live in the PNW and have said pop my whole life...granted I spent a ton of time in Montana (as in all my schooling!) . But I hear pop said out here too. Never heard contention with "you guys" though....

Are you and your people more Eastern PNW or coastal? I ask because my bf is from Eastern Washington and shares a lot of the dialect nuances that I always knew from the Midwest. Meanwhile, large cities west of the Cascades have been where people wanted to talk about "you guys."

1 minute ago, missegeno said:

Are you and your people more Eastern PNW or coastal? I ask because my bf is from Eastern Washington and shares a lot of the dialect nuances that I always knew from the Midwest. Meanwhile, large cities west of the Cascades have been where people wanted to talk about "you guys."

I'm in Bellingham, so coastal.  Both my parents are Montana peeps though... (not that I consider that mid-west). 

my biggest issue with MT pronunciation is words like bag, they say beg instead, it makes me crazy!!

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived