IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Special, Sunday, December 27

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Oh dear, is this really how the average American sees the world?

QxXRO.jpg

Oh don't worry, Americans are the only ones. I lived in France for a while and when I tried to send letters to Austria they asked me if Austria is in Europe...Yes, they asked me that in France, a country that had Marie Atoinette, who was Austrian!, as a queen.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, DigDugger said:

This is really common in the South, where it's considered a sign of respect while using the more familiar first name.  Usually you would use this naming convention for anyone from an older generation than yours.  It's also done with men, too.

So would that be Mrs. or Miss JimBob then?:pb_wink:

1 minute ago, fraurosena said:

So would that be Mrs. or Miss JimBob then?:pb_wink:

I think it would be Miss Michelle.  It's always "Miss", even if the lady's been married a long time.  I'm not sure why, though.  

34 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

Ha!  If that were the case, I would tune in to see that.  Imagine Jessa telling Bin, "you're breathing too loud!"  Or sitting on a white plastic lawn chair and hollering "Ben!  Ben!  Would you please parent your children!?"  

I have no doubt that this is absolutely what goes on when the family and the cameras are away.

Just now, DigDugger said:

I think it would be Miss Michelle.  It's always "Miss", even if the lady's been married a long time.  I'm not sure why, though.  

Uhm, I was alluding to the fact that you said that it's done with men too... so I wondered if JimBob would also be called Miss/Mrs.... lol

I wasn't impressed that J-B planted a kiss on Meechelle just as the camera panned onto him.:annoyed:

He knew exactly where the camera was. REALLY not impressed that the moment was shown and not cut. TLC you will not fool us you know.

2 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Uhm, I was alluding to the fact that you said that it's done with men too... so I wondered if JimBob would also be called Miss/Mrs.... lol

Oh, I see.  :my_biggrin:

I'm wondering if it would be acceptable to drop the "Bob", and just call him Mr. Jim, though.

2 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

I wasn't impressed that J-B planted a kiss on Meechelle just as the camera panned onto him.:annoyed:

He knew exactly where the camera was. REALLY not impressed that the moment was shown and not cut. TLC you will not fool us you know.

I was suprised about that too, I bet JB had a clause in the contract that TLC had to include some Godly marital material.

49 minutes ago, Drala said:

Doesn't it seem a little weird to be talking about adoption when you're pregnant and about to deliver your first child?  And then to keep talking about it after you're told that the youngest child in the family has to be at least 9 months old?  

Because the Duggars and TLC have made me way too cynical, I can't get past the notion that they are thinking this could  lead to a series -  "Counting On...and On...and...".  TLC may even be encouraging them.

2 minutes ago, DigDugger said:

Oh, I see.  :my_biggrin:

I'm wondering if it would be acceptable to drop the "Bob", and just call him Mr. Jim, though.

I don't think you could, since he uses Jim Bob exclusively as a double first name and does not ever appear to go by Jim in other circumstances. Personally I wouldn't drop the Bob.

I hope they read up on adopted child syndrome. I'm all for adoption, have a couple of adopted nephews, and used to do home studies for adoption. It's important to understand all the ramifications, and I don't think the Seewalds or Duggars do.

52 minutes ago, halcionne said:

I'm watching now. I wonder if Jill knows that Manos Abiertas, the clinic where she nodded and smiled while "examining" a pregnant woman or two, was founded by Planned Parenthood. Oh noes!

http://www.asociacionmanosabiertas.org/en/about-us/history.html

This clinic provides comprehensive services, based simply on the sign outside the entrance that was shown onscreen, some of which are in direct oppostion to Jill's religious views (assuming her views are the same as her parents', which, of course they are). I paused the episode to transcribe and translate the sign outside the entrance:

SERVICES
prenatal appointments
control post natal -- I couldn't translate this. I find, as a native English speaker, that often words that look like they could be translated literally, shouldn't be. Do we have any Guatemalans who can explain this phrase?
vbac
birth preparation classes
routine gynecology (pap smears)
family planning
pediatrics
natural medicine -- another "obvious" translation that I may have gotten wrong

This looks like a good clinic that does good work, and who founded or funds them isn't important to me--the list of orgs they work with and appreciate includes some that have religious-sounding names (I didn't investigate them, so I could be wrong). I just think it's funny that TLC set up a "Jill practices midwifery in the mission field" segment at a clinic that is actively trying to improve women's health, lower birthrates, and give women more power over their lives when the Duggars are actively doing the opposite in the US. I'm guessing they chose this place because it was nearby; I would be floored if Jill had her pick of clinics to work with and intentionally chose one so progressive. 

What a find! I'm sure one of the magazines will pick this up. 

45 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Adoption is becoming a parent. It's not about collecting cute children or saving the poor orphans. It is becoming a father or mother for life, and none of the comments about adoption from the Duggars ever seem to take that very seriously.

It seems to me the Duggar-Seewald families have decided to talk up adoption to prove they're pro-child as well as pro-life.  It also makes for family friendly publicity in the wake of scandals that make them look dysfunctional.  Jessa and Ben may actually be pro-child, but no way JB and Michelle can adequately parent an adopted child or to be honest, any more biological children.

Ok so the baby is 9 months or a year old "Yay we can now adopt!" can you really be trying to transition a new child, possibly foreign who is scared in a new environment, while teaching your child to walk, talk, possibly potty train if the adoption is later, etc.

Both need full attention. It isn't just a collection. Ugh.

Re: The Clinic

I am not Guatemalan, but as I read it,

control post natal.  = post-natal care with "control" here meaning "monitoring" (As in they monitor the woman's health after the baby is born with attention to lactation and related stuff.) It is not "cuidado" (which means "care") because that often connotes the woman staying in bed/at home and being cared for after delivery.  "Control" ("monitoring") implies outpatient services and less "medical" involvement.

What if they make it to 9 months without getting pregnant, then start the process and two months later Jessa is pregnant again? Does the process halt at that point?

6 hours ago, ElegantMajesticPearls said:

:pb_lol::pb_lol:

Bin looks like Jessa with a beard here

It looks like that drawing started out being a caricature.  Like the ones you can get done at amusement parks or street fairs.  Look at Jessa's chin.  And yeah, Ben does look like Jessa with a stupid scraggly beard.

@halcionne, you've made my day with your avatar change!  Ben with Jessa's eyes...maybe this is what the Spurge will grow up to look like?

7 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

the footage of jessa pushing was taken from an iphone. that stood out to me.

As I recall, footage of Anna pushing was always filmed by the crew. And then there was that infamous toilet episode.... Just goes to show how much JB&M value Anna versus their own daughters. She'll always be a second class citizen in this family. I just wish she'd realize that they don't have her best interests at heart.

5 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

Yes, it's like the artist started drawing Jessa and decided they made a mistake so they changed it into Bin.  Those are not his eyes.

It also looks like the artist tried for a realistic look but ended up doing a  caricature.

2 hours ago, DugFan said:

-Snip-

4. I know there's a lot of talk about Jill's midwifery, but last night watching her talk about getting excited to meet the Mom's and help, I could help but think "at least she's trying to help... can you imagine Michelle working so hard just to volunteer time to someone else?

I wouldn't give Jill too much credit. If Michelle had a desire to be a midwife she would be doing the same thing that Jill is doing, playing at it while turning most of her attention to her husband and her baby.  I don't get the feeling that Jill is volunteering to do anything that cuts into her time and she will only do it as long as it makes her feel important and it is fun.  Once it becomes boring or she decides that she wants to do something else (like take cooking classes or fly home to be with her family) then the clinic will no longer have her "services."  I agree with all of you who are saying that it is alarming that such a woefully uneducated young women who has virtually no Spanish thinks  she can become a rural midwife but remember that Jill already quit midwife studies to plan her wedding and then language classes because she was too busy "being a wife and a mother" to one child. She was never serious about working outside the home.

If she had more education I would call her a dilettante but really she is just playing at being a medical practitioner because she is still acting out her childhood fantasies of being a nurse and TLC needs plot lines so they make arrangements.  Without TLC setting everything up, I doubt she could be bothered to interrupt her housewifely duties.  This midwife lark is only fun as long as Jill doesn't have to sacrifice any sleep or too much of her free time.

29 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

@halcionne, you've made my day with your avatar change!  Ben with Jessa's eyes...maybe this is what the Spurge will grow up to look like?

lmao I knew I needed to make an avatar from that amazing portrait even before I read your post. It's only temporary, though; it creeps me out a little and I love the eyes emoji too much to go without it for long. 

2 hours ago, halcionne said:

I'm watching now. I wonder if Jill knows that Manos Abiertas, the clinic where she nodded and smiled while "examining" a pregnant woman or two, was founded by Planned Parenthood. Oh noes!

http://www.asociacionmanosabiertas.org/en/about-us/history.html

SERVICES
prenatal appointments
control post natal -- I couldn't translate this. I find, as a native English speaker, that often words that look like they could be translated literally, shouldn't be. Do we have any Guatemalans who can explain this phrase?

Not guatemalan but I'd guess it means postnatal checkups.

From the website:

As Founder and first Director of Asociación Manos Abiertas (AMA), Hannah has over 20 years of experience in natural child birth and has assisted over 1500 natural births in Guatemala.

I'm sure Jill has a lot to teach her... *rolling eyes*

Why the hell do these Duggars feel that giving birth is a spectator sport?    For 'modest' people they certainly do not have any problems with sharing their whoo-ha with whoever happens to be in the room.  Do they sell tickets or what?   And what about all those male EMTs?   

4 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Not sure how reliable this site is (they  are  collecting money so they'd have an agenda) but I found this.

http://midwivesformidwives.org/ixmucane/

Incidently, this org was mentioned at the Manos Abiertos site. I think Hannah Freiwald is in charge of both groups. 

Thanks for the translation. @EmCatlyn too.

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived