IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Special, Sunday, December 27

Coconut Flan

23 hours ago, Childless said:

I was at work one day a few years ago talking to a co-worker about my upcoming honeymoon in Rome.  I'm not joking, he asked me if I was going to see the Eiffel Tower while I was there. :doh:

When I was researching freaking travel agents for my honeymoon I asked one if she was familiar with Europe, she asked where, specufically? I replied "Switzerland". Her response "that's in France, right?" Nope, but you did answer my main question which was "should I hire you?"

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, ElegantMajesticPearls said:

I am shocked that Jessa allowed them to film her during labor.  I am also shocked she gave an honest answer about how painful and tough labor is. I was expecting a fundie "keeping it sweet" answer.

It would be interesting to see how Jill will handle a woman living in abject poverty coming to her for birth control advice. While Jill and her crew can pop out baby after baby, its not really feasible for people who don't have running water or steady food supply. I don't see the god will provide reasoning applying here

not only am I not shocked that jessa was shown in labor and giving birth- I am also not shocked that they showed Spurgeon actually being born and all the blood!!! .  Think of the money and they needed the shot.  What shocks me a bit is that both Michelle and Jana were so close to her area with what they said.  I can't imagine that AT ALL.      And I think Jill was crying not only because it was emotional but Jill couldn't do it that way, she had a c section - so she was probably impressed by her. 

6 hours ago, isarhenne said:

Oh don't worry, Americans are the only ones. I lived in France for a while and when I tried to send letters to Austria they asked me if Austria is in Europe...Yes, they asked me that in France, a country that had Marie Atoinette, who was Austrian!, as a queen.

And then there was like, you know, Hitler. 

10 hours ago, Mercer said:

Medically trained midwives are not necessarily available everywhere, but Jill doesn't seem to me to be much of a solution. A barely qualified, inexperienced midwife who doesn't speak the language and can hardly find the time to leave her apartment isn't even going to make a dent in the problem at best and could put the laboring mother at risk at worst. (What happens if Jill can't understand what the mother is saying is going wrong, and doesn't have the experience/training to recognize the complication herself? She could kill someone while trying to "help.") Even if she manages to avoid doing major damage, she'll be returning to the United States in a few months or at most a few years; she is not a permanent resource for the community.

The money that has been spent on Jill and Derrick's Guatemalan vacation could have been much better spent paying for midwifery training for local women, and would have gone a lot further in helping mothers and the communities as a whole.

So, this post reminded me of one of the most famous American direct-entry midwives, Ina May Gaskin.  (Wrote "Spiritual Midwifery.")  She's actually has a maneuver named after her, called the Gaskin maneuver, which is used to reduce shoulder dystocia.  I'm 99% sure she herself learned the move from Guatemalan midwives.   (OK, Googled as it's been awhile and she learned it from a Belize woman who learned it from Guatemalan midwife.)  Apparently, Guatemala has midwives who have actually taught American midwives (and OBs) something.  (Which would be a gigantic shock to the Duggars who no doubt have some serious white evangelical (not ebil Catholic) savior complex going on.)

So, yes, even if Jill was just a direct entry midwife with, let's say 3-5 years of active experience, she could help.  She could help even more as a Certified Nurse Midwife.  But as an inexperienced direct entry midwife?  She's a liability. 

Can't even write a comment about their desire to adopt when Spurg is 9 months old.  Dear God, what adoption agency would give two extremely young, poorly educated, unemployed people a child?

10 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

I think Jill's speech about using her midwifery training to "educate" people was the most annoying part of the special. Assuming she wants to stop the spread of "old wives' tales" about pregnancy and birth, regaling them with Duggar knowledge is probably worse. Women living in poverty with limited access to healthcare do NOT need to be told that birth control causes miscarriage. They do not need to be taught submission. It's been shown that in developing countries, the more equality that women are allowed (especially in terms of finances and family planning), the more prosperous their families are.

And of course, there's the language barrier issue. The timeline is so screwed up that it's hard for me to get an idea of how much Jill had been trained in Spanish at the time of filming. If she'd only had a few weeks of lessons, I think she's doing pretty well. When the clinician asked her about the dopplar, she said it had been a gift from her husband; she remembered the relevant words and spoke them correctly. Her accent is pretty bad, but that's true of a lot of non-native speakers. Now, if she'd actually had months of private lessons at that point, as well as previous training (on prior mission trips or whatever), I'm not impressed. And really, even people who are totally fluent in spanish may not have the vocabulary to communicate about medical issues. That's another complete set of lessons in and of itself, and if they're planning to work that remotely, Jill's potential "patients" may not even speak Spanish.

The bolded really annoyed me. Jill seemed to be laughing at the things these women believed, it felt really rude to me. She's one to talk too since was downing castor oil during her labor.

Michelle made the remark about Spurgeon's dark hair as his head was crowning during his delivery.  It just seems weird that this lady who sent Jill off to another country with a side-hug (rather than a full-on frontal hug) decides to get close and personal with Jessa's modest area so that she can provide a running commentary for the others.

However, it would have been hilarious if Michelle had said that, and then the baby actually turned out to actually have blond (or no) hair.

Mullet looks terrible. It looks like she committed abuse on her own face with crayons.... Not to mention get that damn woman off TV!

Edited because of autocorrect.

7 hours ago, DigDugger said:

Oh, I see.  :my_biggrin:

I'm wondering if it would be acceptable to drop the "Bob", and just call him Mr. Jim, though.

In Arkansas?  No, not acceptable.  Mr. Jim Bob is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT NAME here than Mr. Jim.  And the word, "bubba" is a completely acceptable substitute for the word, "brother."  (By here, I mean, we are visiting the in-laws and I can't wait to GTF out of here!  Abortion billboards everyfuckingwhere, churchly and godly everything in your face, people never saying what they REALLY mean, aaauugghh)

Anna does look very good. However, with the fake tanner and darker hair,  she looks disconcertingly like the Duggar daughters. 

(There's all kinds of "ew" that could be extrapolated from this thought.)

How much better would these specials be if they really spoke their minds? "Anna should leave my loser brother " or  "I know I married Ben because he worships me but boy, he's so dumb"  or even "I'm scared to leave my apartment because I suck at Spanish and I feel naked without an accountabilibuddy."

My nephew is nicknamed Bubba.

@JHeathen, I know what you mean. I live in Alabama, and it's full of batshit crazy fundies.

Mullet looks terrible. It looks like she committed abuse on her own face with crayons.... Not to mention get that damn woman off TV!

Edited because of autocorrect.

She's like a bedbug, she keeps coming back.

8 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

My nephew is nicknamed Bubba.

@JHeathen, I know what you mean. I live in Alabama, and it's full of batshit crazy fundies.

I'm in Australia but my 2 aunts are in Mobile and Tuscaloosa, after growing up in upstate NY. The abortion billboards, plethora of churches, and gun shops shock me ever single time i visit..

I met a young many by the name of "Four" last time i was in Mobile... his name is Bob Smith VI, so he just goes by "Four"... 

A few of my observations that I haven't seen covered:

I want to teach these uneducated, inarticulate fundies a new word: WHEN. Not "whenever". That adoptive mom said it too! She said their kid was about 9 months old "whenever" they started the adoption process. I'd never heard anyone other than the Duggars do this, but perhaps it runs rampant in their circle? It's bizarre. It could be added to the drinking game. As if we're not all drunk enough on their idiocy already.

Bin's hair is hideous, but overall he's an okay-looking guy, albeit a douche-looking/acting one. I wonder if Jill is jealous that her husband is so much less attractive than Jessa's. My guess is yes.

LOL at them blurring out Spurgeon's newborn, goop-covered butt in the birth scene. These people...they are just too much. It actually seems gross to blur it out, as if it is something inappropriate. The entire show is inappropriate, but a newborn butt is the least of its problems. I wouldn't show my kid's newborn butt on TV either, but I'd just omit...like...the whole entire thing. I wouldn't show everything but the butt.

I just watched. 

I also downloaded a copy last night and watched the birth part.

We got a very edited version of the birth. My downloaded copy shows a very bloody Spurgeon and blood every where in the background. The version I just watched went from the Jessa view of him just being born to wrapped in a towel. Probably 30 seconds or so missing. 

Anyone notice how happy Jennifer came off? Seems like a lot of stress has been lifted. I'm not speculating at all but one of the major changes seems to have done her some good. I know it was only a snippet but she smiled more in the short time she was on camera than I've ever seen. 

How strange that must be for Jill, not only is she in a country where she doesn't speak the language, which would be very isolating in and of itself, but she's alone with her thoughts for probably the first time in her life, and she's allowed to be her own person (kind of) for the first time in her life. How often do you think she's sitting on the patio and someone walks by and she immediately says "Nike!" Before realizing there aren't any male family members there? The whole thing is probably incredibly strange and difficult. I know people who absolutely HATE to be alone, even in their own house, maybe that's why she wants a pile of kids, quiet probably freaks her out a little at this point

10 hours ago, slickcat79 said: I think Jill's speech about using her midwifery training to "educate" people was the most annoying part of the special. Assuming she wants to stop the spread of "old wives' tales" about pregnancy and birth, regaling them with Duggar knowledge is probably worse. Women living in poverty with limited access to healthcare do NOT need to be told that birth control causes miscarriage. They do not need to be taught submission. It's been shown that in developing countries, the more equality that women are allowed (especially in terms of finances and family planning), the more prosperous their families are.

And of course, there's the language barrier issue. The timeline is so screwed up that it's hard for me to get an idea of how much Jill had been trained in Spanish at the time of filming. If she'd only had a few weeks of lessons, I think she's doing pretty well. When the clinician asked her about the dopplar, she said it had been a gift from her husband; she remembered the relevant words and spoke them correctly. Her accent is pretty bad, but that's true of a lot of non-native speakers. Now, if she'd actually had months of private lessons at that point, as well as previous training (on prior mission trips or whatever), I'm not impressed. And really, even people who are totally fluent in spanish may not have the vocabulary to communicate about medical issues. That's another complete set of lessons in and of itself, and if they're planning to work that remotely, Jill's potential "patients" may not even speak Spanish.

The bolded really annoyed me. Jill seemed to be laughing at the things these women believed, it felt really rude to me. She's one to talk too since was downing castor oil during her labor.

We can only hope the crappy Spanish will help negate some of Gothard's 'ess age being passed onto the poor people they are preaching to.

3 hours ago, InThePrayerCloset said:

I'm in Australia but my 2 aunts are in Mobile and Tuscaloosa, after growing up in upstate NY. The abortion billboards, plethora of churches, and gun shops shock me ever single time i visit 

I'm in Australia but my 2 aunts are in Mobile and Tuscaloosa, after growing up in upstate NY. The abortion billboards, plethora of churches, and gun shops shock me ever single time i visit..

I met a young many by the name of "Four" last time i was in Mobile... his name is Bob Smith VI, so he just goes by "Four"... 

I am born and raised in Mobile and my nephew is called Four. Because he is a IV. We southerners love honoring our ancestors by continuing family names. 

11 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Hilarious!  It's hard to beat the following snark about BenBob:

This is the man that wants to have 15 kids, folks, Surely there's record somewhere of Ben being dropped on his head when he was a baby or something.  This kind of stupid takes effort.

I still cant get over Jill handing out a single fucking crayon to those children.  What kind of torture is that?  Here's an entire coloring book and you may only have BLUE.  No pink for you, you're a boy!

@happy atheist thoughts on "coloring with a single crayon" as a post count?

1 hour ago, Coy Koi said:
I want to teach these uneducated, inarticulate fundies a new word: WHEN. Not "whenever". That adoptive mom said it too! She said their kid was about 9 months old "whenever" they started the adoption process. I'd never heard anyone other than the Duggars do this, but perhaps it runs rampant in their circle? It's bizarre. It could be added to the drinking game. As if we're not all drunk enough on their idiocy already.

"Whenever" is regional or southern. I'm from a state nestled in the Appalachian Mountains, and that word is commonly used there. God knows we're not fundies, though. We're regular old beer-loving sinners.

Could you kindly teach the Duggars to stop using I inappropriately? And let DimBulb know that I's isn't ever ever ever a word?

1 minute ago, YourGodIsNotMine said:

"Whenever" is regional or southern. I'm from a state nestled in the Appalachian Mountains, and that word is commonly used there. God knows we're not fundies, though. We're regular old beer-loving sinners.

Okay, thanks for letting me know! I have an ex-boyfriend from rural Arkansas, and I had just been wishing I could ask him if that was something they say there! He's black though, so he probably has a totally different set of language patterns than them. There were certainly a few things he said that sounded really weird to my Pacific-Northwest ears. But still, he never sounded moronic like the Duggars. Probably because he's not a moron.

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived