IGNORED

Bates Family Part 5

happy atheist

4 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

And Josie. When it's not one, but 3 names, it is not what i call a coincidence

Best case scenario: Michelle is remarkably uncreative and just steals J names from Kelly because she's too lazy to come up with any number of other perfectly good J names (Jacob, Julia, Juliet, Jonas, Jacqueline/Jackie, Jane, Jeffrey, Jared, Jasmine, Jahangir -- which, BTW, means Conqueror of the World in Persian). More likely case: she's a narcissistic asshole.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not defending Meechelle, but didn't they allow all of the kids to "submit" names into a vote for the last few births? If I was a little kid and my family hung out with the Bateseseses, their J-name kids would be the first names that came to mind, too (especially in a family with very little contact to the outside world.) And bonus points if I was friends with the J-Bates kid. It'd be cool to name your new baby sibling after your friend when you're 5!

Ultimately, the parents have final say in the child's name and easily could have not used a Bates J-name, so blame still goes on them. 

9 hours ago, halcionne said:

Yeah, I seem to have the dates wrong for Jewel and Jubilee. This article (warning autoplay video) says both of those miscarriages were just a few days after positive tests and that Zion was miscarried at 8 weeks.

Can anyone point me to the Bateses' old blog? The current blog only goes back a couple of years.

I wish I could find their original blog because it was before they realized they needed to edit their lives so much and Kelly was a lot more honest about how she raised the children. I remember posts about how she assigned buddies when she got pregnant and then another about how the buddy would have to help care for the newborn baby.  If Gil and Kelly went somewhere, the buddy would have to come along to take care of the baby. This always stood out to me because even Michelle waited till babies were older to hand them off to buddies. I think between the baby training an the baby buddy system that Kelly probably doesn't care for the baby stage. 

I remember seeing it with jordyn, but not with josie, jackson (who was supposed to be judah benjamin) or jubilee. Actually, they had one with jubilee, but that precise name was never even mentioned

This photo is causing lots of discussion on Instagram today. Most comments are guessing a baby announcement.

This one fan said replied with this post.

If they are expecting, I bet we will see the announcement on the show. Both Alyssa and Erin announced it on the show.

Zach and Whitney look like they truly love each other.

11 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm not the biggest fan of Kelly (if Michelle and JB are North Korea, Kelly and Gil are China -- yes, slightly more liberal, but they're just sneakier in the ways they repress), but it's awful to lose a baby. 

Well, China without the one-child policy :my_biggrin:

18 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

Bates Kid's Birthdays which I got from Wikipedia last year.

12/30/1988   Zach
1/23/1990   Michaela
5/2/1991   Erin
7/27/1992   Lawson
8/29/1993   Nathan
11/9/1994   Alyssa
12/20/1995   Tori
2/1/1997   Trace
4/11/1998   Carlin
8/4/1999   Josie
10/5/2000   Katie
2/17/2002   Jackson
5/19/2003   Warden
10/16/2004   Isaiah
2/17/2006   Addallee
4/28/2007   Ellie
8/2/2009   Callie
9/15/2010   Judson
2/1/2012   Jeb

So in the "race to 20" between Mechelle and Kelly- I think Kelly won. For live births, Kelly had 19 pregnancies. For Mechelle only 17 pregnancies since she has 2 sets of twins.

Side note in the time that Kelly had 6 Kids (Isaiah through Jeb) I only had 3. Thank the LORD! I have 2 friends that managed to have 4 kids in the same time period that I had 3 kids and I thought that was a lot until I saw the Bates DOBs!

1 hour ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I remember seeing it with jordyn, but not with josie, jackson (who was supposed to be judah benjamin) or jubilee. Actually, they had one with jubilee, but that precise name was never even mentioned

Yeah. And what kid would say "Our friends the Bateseses named one of their miscarried fetuses Jubilee. I wanna name ours that, too!"

46 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Yeah. And what kid would say "Our friends the Bateseses named one of their miscarried fetuses Jubilee. I wanna name ours that, too!"

That would have been hilarious (i want to say sad, but i picture jackson saying that and i can't), but i remember the name discussion was before they found out about the miscarriage, just the night before they went to the ulstrasouns place to find out the sex

5 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Best case scenario: Michelle is remarkably uncreative and just steals J names from Kelly because she's too lazy to come up with any number of other perfectly good J names (Jacob, Julia, Juliet, Jonas, Jacqueline/Jackie, Jane, Jeffrey, Jared, Jasmine, Jahangir -- which, BTW, means Conqueror of the World in Persian). More likely case: she's a narcissistic asshole.

Further evidence for Michelle being uncreative:
She has a Joy Anna and a Johanna.  

I get that they have different roots, but they're basically the same name in terms of modern pronunciation.  Then again, my friend has 3 girls: eldest has the middle name Elizabeth, middle is named Emily, and baby is Ellie.  

I have a friend who named her two children Ryan and Brian.  Sometimes people like a certain kind of name and don't realize what they are doing.  Although I think with Michelle and Jim Bob that they are not creative in the least so copying their friends was very normal for them. 

2 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

That would have been hilarious (i want to say sad, but i picture jackson saying that and i can't), but i remember the name discussion was before they found out about the miscarriage, just the night before they went to the ulstrasouns place to find out the sex

They didn't find out the sex. They found out the gender. 

Err...sorry, the J-ender. 

14 hours ago, princessmahina said:

I am 120% on board with both of those scenarios. 

Test 'em both out and see which you prefer! Hate to see you make up your mind before you try all the options! :cakeslice:

56 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

I have a friend who named her two children Ryan and Brian.  Sometimes people like a certain kind of name and don't realize what they are doing.  Although I think with Michelle and Jim Bob that they are not creative in the least so copying their friends was very normal for them. 

When my aunt was pregnant again and choosing names, she was worried the name she wanted for her second would be too close to her elder son's name.  My grandma told her to have her husband go stand on the other side of the house and then she should yell the name of her current child and the name she was thinking about for the new baby.  If her husband couldn't tell which name she was calling from across the house, then the children wouldn't be able to either...so she should probably choose a new name.    

Grandma logic: "No one cares if OTHER people think the names are too close.  But if they can't tell their names apart when you call, and you're always calling for one and getting the other, both, or neither, you might as well save yourself 18 years of trouble and go with your second choice."

(Edit: my aunt and uncle live on rural, wooded acreage, so you're frequently yelling someone's name to try and figure out where they are)

2 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

When my aunt was pregnant again and choosing names, she was worried the name she wanted for her second would be too close to her elder son's name.  My grandma told her to have her husband go stand on the other side of the house and then she should yell the name of her current child and the name she was thinking about for the new baby.  If her husband couldn't tell which name she was calling from across the house, then the children wouldn't be able to either...so she should probably choose a new name.    

Grandma logic: "No one cares if OTHER people think the names are too close.  But if they can't tell their names apart when you call, and you're always calling for one and getting the other, both, or neither, you might as well save yourself 18 years of trouble and go with your second choice."

That's BRILLIANT! Grandma logic wins every time!  Although to be fair, at some point you call out for the wrong child regardless of how close their names are. "Bob, Frank, Sue, whoever you are!" 

Hell, I've done that with "Mum, Dad, Cat" 

5 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I wish I could find their original blog because it was before they realized they needed to edit their lives so much and Kelly was a lot more honest about how she raised the children. I remember posts about how she assigned buddies when she got pregnant and then another about how the buddy would have to help care for the newborn baby.  If Gil and Kelly went somewhere, the buddy would have to come along to take care of the baby. This always stood out to me because even Michelle waited till babies were older to hand them off to buddies. I think between the baby training an the baby buddy system that Kelly probably doesn't care for the baby stage. 

I know, right? When I have some time I may dig around in the archives for the blog addy. I found references to it on a DWOP entry from 2012 when I was looking up miscarriages last night, so I think with a little patience I will be able to find it. I thought it was thegilbatesfamily.com or something with Gil's name in it, but so far, no dice.

Further evidence for Michelle being uncreative:
She has a Joy Anna and a Johanna.  

I get that they have different roots, but they're basically the same name in terms of modern pronunciation.  Then again, my friend has 3 girls: eldest has the middle name Elizabeth, middle is named Emily, and baby is Ellie.  

They actually do have the same root: Johanna > Joanna > Ioanna > Ioannes > John > יוֹחָנָן (Yochanan) > "God is gracious"

(Joy) Anna > Hannah > חַנָּה (Channah) > "favor" or "grace"

http://www.behindthename.com/name/johanna

http://www.behindthename.com/name/anna

I don't speak or read Hebrew, but those words clearly have the same root. CTRL+F confirms both names are built around a sequence of Hebrew script "חַנָּ."

31 minutes ago, halcionne said:

I know, right? When I have some time I may dig around in the archives for the blog addy. I found references to it on a DWOP entry from 2012 when I was looking up miscarriages last night, so I think with a little patience I will be able to find it. I thought it was thegilbatesfamily.com or something with Gil's name in it, but so far, no dice.

I think it was something like that too, but I have had no luck in finding the original one. 

When did the Bateses and Duggars meet?  It's interesting that the Bateses didn't use a J name until their tenth kid, and then chose J for five others (including miscarriages).  The last two, Judson and Jeb, were after Josie Duggar was born and Michelle was hoping for more.

19 minutes ago, accountingstar said:

Found this image of Tori and Joe on Tumblr with the caption of last day of school before Christmas break. The girls are just giggling. I am in the boat that Tori and Joe are in a courtship.

19kidsandloving:  Joe, Tori and friends on their last day of school before Christmas break  Source: Twitter

Source: http://duggarbatesfan.tumblr.com/post/134938964679/19kidsandloving-joe-tori-and-friends-on-their

That looks like a screengrab from a video to me.

6 hours ago, withaj said:

Well, China without the one-child policy :my_biggrin:

Well, Mao was all about women having tons and tons of kids who would advance the cause of the Party and all that jazz. Then it came time to feed all those kids...

And actually, now China has relaxed the policy (now everyone can have two) because they realized that with longer life expectancies, a lot of younger adults from the One Child generation were now expected to support up to 6 elderly people (parents and grandparents), and because of massive gender imbalances (boys have always been favored for a variety of cultural reasons, and now you have one kid who's going to support you when you're old...obviously, if you're more traditional-minded, you wouldn't be too thrilled about a girl) that are now leading to issues like human trafficking (there just aren't enough women, and with higher standards of living and education, the available women are much pickier than they used to be, so a lot of Chinese bachelors find wives from Southeast Asia or even among North Korean defectors).

Yet again, the Bateseseses are like China, in that they're still kind of terrible, but at least they realize when something's not working and are willing to loosen up or change gears (albeit grudgingly), though it might take time for them to do so.

1 hour ago, accountingstar said:

Found this image of Tori and Joe on Tumblr with the caption of last day of school before Christmas break. The girls are just giggling. I am in the boat that Tori and Joe are in a courtship.

Source: http://duggarbatesfan.tumblr.com/post/134938964679/19kidsandloving-joe-tori-and-friends-on-their

...if so I wonder if the Bates are the ones that told the Duggars that Joe needed some more education before a wedding would be possible...

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived