IGNORED

Bates Family Part 5

happy atheist

13 hours ago, JillyO said:

Is it normal to take a one-year-old to the salon for a haircut? I don't know anyone who does that. Everyone just cuts their own kids' hair until they are at least three or four. Do I just know really cheap people? :my_biggrin:

My 4 year olds have always had haircuts at a kid salon. One has curly hair I wasn't about to risk mangling and if I was taking one, I might as well take the other. 

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

That's what it's become I am afraid.   The main reason why I will not go for my Masters.  I would like to but can't afford to set myself and Mr. No back financially when Mr. No is on the brink of retirement.  My employer does offer tuition reimbursement but it's only partial and the amount I would still have to cover is too much.

Back when I got my bachelors I was able to come out with the piece of paper debt free between working while in school, some financial aid and living at home but that wouldn't be possible now.  I fear for my nephew who is looking at college and accepts that he's going to go into debt for it.

Using Suze Orman's yardstick, realistically estimate your first year earnings and borrow no more than that. And Federal loans only, no private. I'm all for higher ed, but not at the  cost of mortgaging the student's future, or worse yet, the student's parents future.

25 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Using Suze Orman's yardstick, realistically estimate your first year earnings and borrow no more than that. And Federal loans only, no private. I'm all for higher ed, but not at the  cost of mortgaging the student's future, or worse yet, the student's parents future.

This is what Mr. No did.  He worked and saved money for a few years but in his last year came up short as he had to get a car.  He was pretty conservative in what he borrowed but got Federal loans which he paid off at a pretty low interest rate. 

I have seen a number of parents take out the student loans so as to not saddle their kids with college debt.  I get why they want to do that but end up with paying loans back while on the brink of retirement.   Worse case: a friend of mine took out student loans for her son, he quit college in his junior year and she was paying off loans for a degree not completed.  Kid was too much of a dipshit to pay his parents back, in fact they were helping to pay his bills several years later because he couldn't get his act togehter in terms of jobs and they were paying his student loans in top of supporting him.  It was a real sore spot with my friend.  My friend died suddenly in an accident 6 years ago with her husband passing away a couple of years later, so I am assuming the loans went into default with their deaths as the son was not liable for them.

Another one where a parent took on loans.   He did seminars for retirement planning, one of which I attended.  He was kind of ticked when he learned that I had my old 401k with my old company telling me I was not in control of my money and I really ought to switch over to one of his products.  Of course he wanted my business: he was in over 100K of student loan debt for his 2 daughters' college educations.   As soon as I learned that, I was out the door.

Bradley could be a child model (though I don't think he should be; having most of his family on reality TV is more than enough exploitation for one kid). How is that kid so damn cute?!?

17 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

I have seen a number of parents take out the student loans so as to not saddle their kids with college debt.  I get why they want to do that but end up with paying loans back while on the brink of retirement.   Worse case: a friend of mine took out student loans for her son, he quit college in his junior year and she was paying off loans for a degree not completed.  Kid was too much of a dipshit to pay his parents back, in fact they were helping to pay his bills several years later because he couldn't get his act togehter in terms of jobs and they were paying his student loans in top of supporting him.  It was a real sore spot with my friend.  My friend died suddenly in an accident 6 years ago with her husband passing away a couple of years later, so I am assuming the loans went into default with their deaths as the son was not liable for them.

Another one where a parent took on loans.   He did seminars for retirement planning, one of which I attended.  He was kind of ticked when he learned that I had my old 401k with my old company telling me I was not in control of my money and I really ought to switch over to one of his products.  Of course he wanted my business: he was in over 100K of student loan debt for his 2 daughters' college educations.   As soon as I learned that, I was out the door.

Unless there was a cosigner, Federal Parent Plus loans are cancelled on the death of the borrower. Sadly, I have first hand knowledge of this.

I think your point is well made. Future hubby and I have already decided that we're not borrowing or stealing from retirement to send any future kiddos to college. 

Is it too late for similar name stories? 

Saw a girl on facebook a few years ago with 3 kids: Landis, Landry, and Rylan. WTH would you name all of your kids so similarly?! I mean come one - the last two are essentially the same name with the letters moved around and the first two are the same first four letters! To each their own, but you'll never see me with a naming pattern...

Almost as bad as having a Katherine, Katie and Kate in the same family...

22 minutes ago, for_the_Kitties said:

Is it too late for similar name stories? 

Saw a girl on facebook a few years ago with 3 kids: Landis, Landry, and Rylan. WTH would you name all of your kids so similarly?! I mean come one - the last two are essentially the same name with the letters moved around and the first two are the same first four letters! To each their own, but you'll never see me with a naming pattern...

Almost as bad as having a Katherine, Katie and Kate in the same family...

Your last example makes my head shake considering Kate and Katie are common nicknames for Katherine (and all the various spellings).   Although Joseph, Josiah, and Josie probably takes the cake (at least Josiah is not a known nickname for Joseph).   

19 hours ago, twinmama said:

My 4 year olds have always had haircuts at a kid salon. One has curly hair I wasn't about to risk mangling and if I was taking one, I might as well take the other. 

Yes, I haven't seen anyone cut their own kids hair that I know personally. I thought that was a fundie thing though because they had so many kids they couldn't afford a barber/salon. 

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Yes, I haven't seen anyone cut their own kids hair that I know personally. I thought that was a fundie thing though because they had so many kids they couldn't afford a barber/salon. 

Yup, I think a kid's haircut is so cheap I might as well let the professionals handle it. I think ours at the kid's salon (so maybe more expensive than a barber shop, less than a woman's salon) is about $16 per kid. I get them trimmed short, then let it grow til it's in their eyes again so we go every few months. Not bad!

Isn't Whitney's adoptive mum a hairstylist? I'd say maybe she cut Bradley's hair, but last I heard Whitney wasn't on good terms with her adoptive family, so... I don't know.

2 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Interesting. Maybe it's a regional/cultural thing. I'm in Germany, and most people I know cut their own kids' hair until they are three or four at least. I don't think I got a professional haircut until I started school. :my_biggrin: Interesting to find out it's so different in the U.S. (I'm guessing most people who commented are in the U.S.).

I'm going to ask my mum tonight when and how I got my first haircut, haha. Will report back on behalf of all Canadians.

21 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I'm going to ask my mum tonight when and how I got my first haircut, haha. Will report back on behalf of all Canadians.

My first haircut was done by my great uncle in my grandparents house but he was a barber.

I gave all my girls their first hair cut. It was trim to get the hair out of their eyes or straighten the straggly baby hair. After that, they have always gone to a pro because all things hair is not a talent I have!

In Sweden I think it varies a bit. I know people who take their babies or small children to the hair dresser but most people cut their hair at home. Often they have simple styles but still the bangs might the crooked or the longer parts of the hair uneven but that is expected on a small child who doesn't sit still very well. I think many might take their child to the hair dresser around the time they are 5-7 years old if they have not done so earlier. My daughter is 3,5 and has yet to go. She has semi-short hair with bangs. She has had very short hair after one of her friends found my scissors and cut her hair almost at the scalp. She looked so bad I cried...

I find it interesting that Lawson is all over social media and isn't even engaged. He posts "suggestive" photographs and seems to know a lot of secular music. He may be the least fundy fundy living at home we have seen yet. I can't see anyone else being allow to do what he is doing. I can see other fundies being horrified. 

The big bear looks like the one at Costco that costs almost $200. I wish I could justify buying one because they are so cuddly. 

21 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I find it interesting that Lawson is all over social media and isn't even engaged. He posts "suggestive" photographs and seems to know a lot of secular music. He may be the least fundy fundy living at home we have seen yet. I can't see anyone else being allow to do what he is doing. I can see other fundies being horrified. 

The big bear looks like the one at Costco that costs almost $200. I wish I could justify buying one because they are so cuddly. 

Maybe he's trying to win Jinger over to the "dark side" - i.e. there is life after fundiedom :my_rolleyes:

The Bates have always had more relaxed standards for the boys, so I'm not really surprised he is posting things like that all over social media. Remember when Kelly posted pictures of the guys in dripping wet, skin tight clothes that left little to the imagination? It is okay for the sons to show off their bodies but the girls  have to be covered up. At least the Duggars were a bit more consistent with their modesty standards and make the boys run in pants. 

This may be old news, but if anyone was wondering Bringing Up Bates Season 1 is available on Amazon for 1.99 per episode or a discounted price for the whole season. I know a lot of people couldn't find ways to watch it. 

7 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

*raises hand*  I cut my son's hair for years.  This was mainly because he has always been super sensitive to touch and the stylists at both the kids' salons we tried accidentally hurt him by tugging too hard on his hair, combing a little too roughly.  He also has very thick yet very straight hair.  One time, we tried again to get his hair professionally cut when he was in 6th grade.  I think the stylist must have been fairly new.  She took an hour and did a crappy job, and said it was because his hair was so thick.  At that point, I started taking him to my own stylist.  

Lawson singing with Josie singing the First Noel. Lawson knows Elvis. 

4 hours ago, socalrules said:

He may be the least fundy fundy living at home we have seen yet. I can't see anyone else being allow to do what he is doing. I can see other fundies being horrified. 

I totally agree. I am shocked by his secular knowledge of music. I don't know any fundy like Lawson.

It's Whitney and Zach's wedding anniversary.

Love that they watch movies. They seem truly happy. Glad that they found each other.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived