IGNORED

Bates Family Part 5

happy atheist

I can totally relate to the inappropriate pregnancy questions. I've been married 3.5 years.  Every single time I talk to my husband's aunt, the first question is "any good news yet?" Thank goodness that's pretty rare, since the answer is always no. We visited his home country 2 years ago, and I wasn't feeling well during part of the trip, and I found pregnancy tests in our bathroom.

I have fertility issues that I don't feel like trying to explain to my female in laws, given the language barrier (and it's not something my husband would talk about in their culture, and it's not really any of their business). One of my SIL's or her husband also has fertility issues, and I can't imagine how often she's asked or probed about it since she's right there. 

I'm happy that nobody in my family or social circle ever asks or makes comments.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, the Bates children went to see The Nutcracker on Ice according to Instagram (I would include a picture but I don't know how to do that imbedding thing from my phone). I didn't think that The Nutcracker would be something those children would be allowed to see, whether it was on or off ice. It involves dancing, magic, and kissing with no promise of marriage. 

Lawson has posted video of him singing Frank Sinatra. The song is the Way You Look Tonight. Lawson is so worldly compared to some fundie children. I wonder how he learned about Frank. CBS was running a special to him last night to celebrate his 100 birthday. I think Lawson could make it as a bar singer or an entertainer at a retirement home. I know for a fact that Sunrise (retirement/nursing home chain) actually pays the entertainer.  Note 3 Part Video.

25 minutes ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

So, the Bates children went to see The Nutcracker on Ice according to Instagram (I would include a picture but I don't know how to do that imbedding thing from my phone). I didn't think that The Nutcracker would be something those children would be allowed to see, whether it was on or off ice. It involves dancing, magic, and kissing with no promise of marriage. 

Here's the photo:

I thought that it was nice of this couple to treat the younger children. I am sure that Gil loves not having to pay to entertain and feed his children. I was surprised that the children were allowed to go, but I am glad that they are being exposed to the outside world. Isolation doesn't work. December should be filled with joy. It looks like the children had fun.

To cap off this post, a adorable photo of baby Bradley and Zach from yesterday.

I could be wrong, but I think the "Nutcracker on Ice" is a ice exhibit with the Nutcracker theme that you walk through.    The Gaylord in Grapevine, TX did that theme two years ago.  So, there is no dancing (just the music playing) or kissing etc.  I could be wrong, it might be the Nutcracker performed on ice skates.   Either way, I'm glad the little kids got to go and also got to enjoy s'mores and a bonfire. 

Lawson's version of Frank's song is certainly jazzed up so it isn't as sexy, but it is still pretty worldly. 

Did Zach shave his hair way above his ears?  Looks like it in that picture above. 

The Nutcracker on Ice is usually an actual production of the ballet on ice.  Dorothy Hamill, Nicole Bobek, and Oksana Baiul have all skated Clara.  Peggy Fleming was the Sugar Plum Fairy in one production.

1 hour ago, doubleT said:

I could be wrong, but I think the "Nutcracker on Ice" is a ice exhibit with the Nutcracker theme that you walk through.    The Gaylord in Grapevine, TX did that theme two years ago.  So, there is no dancing (just the music playing) or kissing etc.  I could be wrong, it might be the Nutcracker performed on ice skates.   Either way, I'm glad the little kids got to go and also got to enjoy s'mores and a bonfire. 

Lawson's version of Frank's song is certainly jazzed up so it isn't as sexy, but it is still pretty worldly. 

Did Zach shave his hair way above his ears?  Looks like it in that picture above. 

I think you're right   Here's the link to the ICE featuring the Nutcracker at the Gaylord Opryland and it looks exactly like the picture in Kelly's instagram post. http://www.marriott.com/hotel-info/bnago-gaylord-opryland-resort-and-convention-center/christmas/y477rbs/ice.mi. Not a conflict since there's no dancing or kissing involved. It's not cheap.  Entry fee for children 4-12 is $19.99.  That's a nice treat from friends.

1 hour ago, doubleT said:

I think an earring or small gauge would look good on him.  (Zach, not Bradley...yet.)

1 hour ago, justmy2cents said:

I think you're right   Here's the link to the ICE featuring the Nutcracker at the Gaylord Opryland and it looks exactly like the picture in Kelly's instagram post. http://www.marriott.com/hotel-info/bnago-gaylord-opryland-resort-and-convention-center/christmas/y477rbs/ice.mi. Not a conflict since there's no dancing or kissing involved. It's not cheap.  Entry fee for children 4-12 is $19.99.  That's a nice treat from friends.

I guess you're right about that being "The Nutcracker on Ice".  I have to say though, that it sounds incredibly lame.  I'd much rather go to a real production of The Nutcracker -even a bad one- than that. 

I've been to one of the Gaylord Ice! events. They're pretty fun but super super cold. I'm sure the kids loved the ice slides.

So I read about a women who on her bachelorette party slept with a stripper with dwarfism. 

Only admitted it 9 months later when she gave birth to a son with dwarfism. 

Awkward. 

So I read about a women who on her bachelorette party slept with a stripper with dwarfism. 

Only admitted it 9 months later when she gave birth to a son with dwarfism. 

Awkward. 

Wrong thread?

Didn't Duggar girls attend a Dempster wedding recently? I'm assuming it's the same one as mentioned upthread here/same Dempsters that market those stylish shirts.

I spent a lot of time in Recovering Grace over the weekend. I really wonder about the sustainability of ati/iblp. The enrollment numbers have dropped significantly. I suppose it will take a few years to really see how well it sticks. 

Or maybe the new board is trying to wait out Gothard and reinvent the movement.

Frank Sinatra is secular. There ain't no way around that. I'm glad Lawson earned his way out.

While I don't think Lawson is a bad singer, I don't find him as OMG SO GOOD as the leg humpers do. He's that guy or girl from high school who can sing in tune and isn't bad but has hardly going to be the next Luke Bryan or Carrie Underwood either. He's the kind of singer who'd probably stand a shot at getting past the first audition for American Idol (his looks wouldn't hurt) but not quite good enough to make the top 12 and win and have a huge career. 

I think Lawson has a decent voice- but compared to other ATI singers he is really really good. Can you imagine showing up at some local fair and the Duggars or Rodrigues getting up there to perform? 

1 hour ago, Lewy said:

While I don't think Lawson is a bad singer, I don't find him as OMG SO GOOD as the leg humpers do. He's that guy or girl from high school who can sing in tune and isn't bad but has hardly going to be the next Luke Bryan or Carrie Underwood either. He's the kind of singer who'd probably stand a shot at getting past the first audition for American Idol (his looks wouldn't hurt) but not quite good enough to make the top 12 and win and have a huge career. 

I agree he is decent but there are plenty of famous singers who are just "decent" so that does not have to be a problem. I do think he would benefit from singing lessons because at least to me there seems to be some room for improvement for him and then I think he can be bumped up to "good". He is no wonderboy singer though and never will be. 

I went to school with a guy who ended up winning Swedish Idol (type Markus Fagervall into Spotify you can hear two albums from him here). To me this guy is much better than Lawson but in the end he stopped playing professionally and went to chef school last time I heard from him. It is hard to make it even if you have the help of a platform like those shows and even with a show like his parents to start up from. It probably gives Lawson a better chance of being heard compared to most guys who sing like him but I doubt he will be more than just a very minor celebrity but I also don't see anything wrong with him playing and spreading some joy by singing because I do sincerely think that people will listen to him quite happily. 

Lawson's an alright singer, and I'm quite surprised at how secular a lot of his music choices seem to be. Frank Sinatra is pretty much anathema to fundie philosophy, Let It Go is often interpreted as an LGBT anthem and is from a movie that teaches that isolating/shaming your children has bad consequences and that marrying someone you barely know isn't going to work out, and a lot of country music is pretty risque. Good on him for branching out of IT'S THROUGH THE BLOOOOOOOOOD, though I do wonder how he reconciles his music tastes with his/his parents' beliefs.

Lawson is a good country singer, not great but good. He has that twang going on and while it isn't appealing to me he could likely get a good following if he really threw himself into it. The problem is that all his original songs (at least the ones that I have heard) are too fundy to get him in with most people as more than a novelty/fair guy. If he wrote a secular or just less religious song about southern living he would likely have no problem at all getting it on some radio stations and even doing a small scale tour. 

The blog 5 Kids 6 Months mentions the Dempster Family. They have 3 bio and 4 adopted children. This blogger calls them a sweet couple. In 2013, at the Big Sandy conference, the Dempster Family stayed with the Bates Family in the dorms. Kelly posted a congratulations on Instagram to Riley and Hannah when they got married on 8/29/15.

Based on Instagram, The Dempsters also know the Duggars, the girls can wear pants, do mission trips, etc. It appears that everyone knows everyone in ATI. It's like a circle.

Link to Posts.

http://5kids6months.blogspot.com/2014/02/turners-adoption-story-journal-part-two.html

http://5kids6months.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-week-in-big-sandy-tx-with-duggars.html

Photo of Riley Dempster and his wife Hannah.

Photo of Grace Dempster (sister of Riley) and Hannah. Grace was featured in a photo from Down South Apparel.

Grace was in Guatemala 18 weeks ago. SOS Ministry?

Grace was at the Duggars along with Nathan's Ashley.

Michael and Brandon are in DC this week. They posted minutes ago from the Smithsonian. I've never been, but I assume there are a lot of unfundie exhibits. But don't worry, folks! Giraffes are godly. I imagine there are entire wings of the museum that they will avoid. :pb_rollseyes:

I dunno...that giraffe is showing some underbelly...

If giraffes were able to follow Gothard, they'd have a hard time drawing attention to their countenances, with the obvious eye traps one's eyes would see en route to their faces.

52 minutes ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

I dunno...that giraffe is showing some underbelly...

If giraffes were able to follow Gothard, they'd have a hard time drawing attention to their countenances, with the obvious eye traps one's eyes would see en route to their faces.

They wouldn't be able to avoid defrauding others, but they could avoid defrauding other godly giraffes by wearing long skirts made out of leaves. And of course submissive lady giraffes would only daintily pick from the lowest branches, allowing the manly giraffes the pick of the produce.

Ah, FJ where fundamentalism and zoology collide...

Well Michael's eye line is aimed at those awesome pecs of the giraffe, I wonder if she took a quick peak at its fountain of mainly glory before looking at those muscles.

Brandon is being a good headship and looking at the countenance and not another male's bits.

:)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived