IGNORED

Jessa Duggar Seewald Pt 5 - The Smug is Strong With This One

happy atheist

Yes. I think he tweaks the details to suit whatever narrative he's trying to spin at the time. When it benefits him more to make himself seem as poor as possible when he was young, that's the way he'll tell the story. When it benefits him more to make it seem like he's been part of a thriving and successful five generation family business his whole life, that's the way he'll tell it.

There was a bit in JL Duggars obit about it....

After graduating from Fayetteville High School in 1955, he attended the University of Arkansas, and served in the Army ROTC. He married Mary Duggar in 1960. In 1962, he became a third generation real estate agent in Duggar Realty that his grandfather J.T. Duggar established in 1933.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a bit in JL Duggars obit about it....

I'm willing to give some benefit of the doubt and say that even if there was a family business, young JB may not have been rolling in dough growing up or even when he was starting out. He's known to be full of shit and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the whole "started from the bottom now we here" narrative is utter BS, but many business owners aren't very wealthy, especially if their business isn't very big or particularly successful.

After graduating from Fayetteville High School in 1955, he attended the University of Arkansas, and served in the Army ROTC. He married Mary Duggar in 1960. In 1962, he became a third generation real estate agent in Duggar Realty that his grandfather J.T. Duggar established in 1933.

Emphasis mine. This bugs me. One does not "serve" in ROTC. One participates (just like with Sea Cadets or Civil Air Patrol, while they are part of the military, being in it does not make you military). Someone in ROTC cannot claim they were in the military if they don't commission upon graduation. Going to field training doesn't count.

Oh, I totally believe that there has been some kind of family real estate business for five generations. I think most of the details of the story are probably true, just that Jim Bob chooses to emphasize or de-emphasize whatever bits happen to suit him best at the moment.

Ok, those of you who keep better track of this stuff than I do, wasn't JB's whole background story about how his family had very little when they were growing up and it wasn't until he was married that he and Michelle and his mother (or maybe she did it a few years before) got their real estate licenses? And now it turns out JB's great-grandfather started the business? Please. I bet they're claiming that because some property that JT bought once upon a time was still in the family or something.

Also, I thought it was MARY who was the real estate mogul in the family? Mary is not a Duggar by birth.

I thought JB's father was unable/unwilling to support the family?????

I am not surprised though, the Duggars and honesty do not often travel in the same circles.

Sassy, honestly, I think we're running around in circles now. I'm not even sure what you're arguing. A few posts back you were criticizing underage kids for not working, now you're criticizing JB and Michelle for expecting their underage kids to work. Which is it? Pick a side, we're at war. :lol:

Maybe we can all just agree that it appears that Ben is working and earning an income in some capacity, but it may not be something that's sustainable in the long term, that he and Jessa seem to have some pretty skewed expectations with regards to work and money and birthing and adopting a gazillion kids, and that Jim Bob and Michelle are super shady and take advantage of their own children along with anyone else they can drag into their net. I think we can probably all agree on that? Maybe. Possibly.

This is not about what SASSY thinks is right or wrong. This is about what the Duggars would or would not think is appropriate. They put potential fetuses to work to continue the gravy train, so I do not see why the DUGGARS would hesitate about putting any of their kids to work.

If you sell your superior fiscal principles as the Duggars have in the past, why would you all of a sudden start to stray from that path? JB has sold his kids; they have worked to support the family. JB has a gaggle of his own DNA sitting around as a free labor source. Why would a fiscally conservative person pay someone else when he could get any and all tasks done for free??

It makes no sense.

I like the idea of Jessa and Ben telling people if they want to send them a baby gift...to donate money to a charity instead. Maybe they will add that to the blog soon.

I take anything that comes out of a Duggar's mouth with a grain of salt. I think there are kernels of truth in everything they say, but they excel at spinning the narrative to make themselves look good. Along with that kernel of truth is a smattering of exaggeration and a large dose of out right lies. They may be able to hoodwink the leg humpers, but I don't buy any of it.

In a way, I think they are worse than the Kardashians. Both families are fame whores who worship at the alter of money, but at least the Kardashians are honest about it. They don't pretend to be anything other than what they are.

I like the idea of Jessa and Ben telling people if they want to send them a baby gift...to donate money to a charity instead. Maybe they will add that to the blog soon.

:lol: Good one.

This is not about what SASSY thinks is right or wrong. This is about what the Duggars would or would not think is appropriate. They put potential fetuses to work to continue the gravy train, so I do not see why the DUGGARS would hesitate about putting any of their kids to work.

If you sell your superior fiscal principles as the Duggars have in the past, why would you all of a sudden start to stray from that path? JB has sold his kids; they have worked to support the family. JB has a gaggle of his own DNA sitting around as a free labor source. Why would a fiscally conservative person pay someone else when he could get any and all tasks done for free??

It makes no sense.

you are correct it makes no sense

but he has to come up with a job for Ben - why at first it was because he wanted a plot point for the show - Ben moves closer so he can court Jessa so he can marry her off to Ben - that makes sense -

now it seems he has to continue employing Ben in order for Jessa to have this "dream" she wants except you are correct in pointing out he has children - who can do the work for free - except - the logical question would now be - Why does Ben continue to work for his father in law - when a) the show is cancelled - he can clearly move on to the seminary B) and maybe perhaps Jessa is pushing Ben to work for the family so she has control over Ben - (family businesses are somewhat yes lucrative for the family - but bring an outside in like Ben and things change fast)

so now Ben has to man up - will he is the question and will Jessa let him ?

that is the other question

and yes Mary Duggar not a Duggar by birth - totally agree :D

:lol: Good one.

Jessa has a selective attention to this thread. She cleared up the generation-thing that we were suspicious about. But by all means she still intends to get those Walmart giftcards. Hey Jessa! Why don't you dream big!! Change your blog post to say that your favorite stores are Pottery Barn and Neiman Marcus-- Just a thought :wink-kitty:

I just broke my boycott and klicked on the duggar family blog because I wanted to read Jessas statement for my selve. I have to say : This is ridiculous! A big family helping out on renovating houses is not like having a real job. What Jessa described is far far away from even the idea of what a real job or living in a world where you have to find a way to get the money you need all by yourself. Ocasional lawn mowing?! Jana picking out a colour for the wall? The boys doing carpentry? ( We saw the episode where they were intoduced to this skill not so long ago) Would anybody but daddy employ and pay the kids for the work they do? The answer is no and this tells you all about it.

I know what family businesses mean. Helping out like this would never be consider as a "job" within the business but normal help from family members who actually have other jobs.The ones who do work for the business have a full time job.

Jessa, just admit yall are rich and Don't need to really work. But people can still send you gifts...

This struck me as odd, too. Even if the Duggars started doing real estate in Grandma Mary's generation, that's only three right there, if you count Jim Bob and his children, unless they mean that Jim Bob's grandparents were also involved in real estate. And to get up to a 5th generation, Mackynzie or Michael would have to be hammering in nails or cleaning up lots. (Please, please tell me that they aren't having those babies help with house flipping) :shock:

Include Baby Israel, and then we're at 5 generations? He's into Arkansas real estate, right?

I was halfway kidding about the littles helping. Early Duggar specials showed the younger Duggars with nails guns and laying down tile, all while walking around the work sites in flip-flops. Wouldn't put it past the Duggars to have Mack and Mike picking up trash on home lots or carrying light tools back and forth to their aunts and uncles for building.

No, it is not illegal in any way, in the absence of an employment contract, for an employer to fire an employee for any legal (i.e. discriminatory) way. Your boss can fire you because he hates your mother, doesn't like people who drive blue cars, or you are causing a disruption at work. Employment is at-will unless there is a contract in place. At-will means terminable by either party at either time with or without cause with or without notice at any time for any reason (except those prohibited by law, such as your sex, your religion, your disability status, etc.)

Wal-Mart would be within their legal rights to fire him because his family is involved with a sex scandal, absolutely. They can't fire him for being a fundy, by the can fire him for just about anything else.

No, it is not illegal in any way, in the absence of an employment contract, for an employer to fire an employee for any legal (i.e. discriminatory) way. Your boss can fire you because he hates your mother, doesn't like people who drive blue cars, or you are causing a disruption at work. Employment is at-will unless there is a contract in place. At-will means terminable by either party at either time with or without cause with or without notice at any time for any reason (except those prohibited by law, such as your sex, your religion, your disability status, etc.)

Wal-Mart would be within their legal rights to fire him because his family is involved with a sex scandal, absolutely. They can't fire him for being a fundy, by the can fire him for just about anything else.

I know this is the Jessa thread, so sorry to veer into the Jillards a bit... Even though we only saw a fraction of their lives on the show, but between things they did, places they went based on Instagram, blogs and such, it seemed like Derrick was off of work an awful lot for just being hired. I often wondered if maybe he was reprimanded for that and then decided to just quit thinking the TLC gravy train was on full steam ahead. I know you can negotiate time off, but I doubt he had that much since he was entry level.

Jessa has a selective attention to this thread. She cleared up the generation-thing that we were suspicious about. But by all means she still intends to get those Walmart giftcards. Hey Jessa! Why don't you dream big!! Change your blog post to say that your favorite stores are Pottery Barn and Neiman Marcus-- Just a thought :wink-kitty:

Do you think Jessa pays attention or Lily and Ellie? The correction has become a footnote (L or E's edit?) I do think its interesting that she has obvious knowledge of her public persona. Just think FJ might have more influence than we ever dreamed possible!

I don't know if this has been posted but Jessa's most recent Instagram says she is lifting weights to stay in shape and has a photo along with her man also pumping iron.

Newbie tip: Don't just post a link. Post why the link is interesting/what information it has. You may or may not get reported for this, depending on how benevolent people are feeling. Please go back and look at all of the Forum Rules and Guidelines just to be sure!

I don't know if this has been posted but Jessa's most recent Instagram says she is lifting weights to stay in shape and has a photo along with her man also pumping iron.

Are they working out in the Duggar garage gym?

Someone has to be buying their groceries and whatnot though... I assume Biiiin just gets a salary for showing up and following JB around.

I found an article about lifting weights during pregnancy. Apparently, there's a range you can stay in and safely do it, but it can still be considered risky to the baby, depending on the circumstances:

babycenter.com/404_is-it-true-that-pregnant-women-shouldnt-carry-heavy-objects_10310767.bc

I found an article about lifting weights during pregnancy. Apparently, there's a range you can stay in and safely do it, but it can still be considered risky to the baby, depending on the circumstances:

babycenter.com/404_is-it-true-that-pregnant-women-shouldnt-carry-heavy-objects_10310767.bc

better not tell that to the pregnant rock climbers I have seen.

Archived