IGNORED

Jessa Duggar Seewald Pt 5 - The Smug is Strong With This One

happy atheist

so according to the duggar family blog 99k people have suggested names for #babyseewald and they plan to announce Monday what the name is

who wants to guess something generic where will still won't know what it is

Blaine Seewald

and apparently Jessa said again she is giving birth at home

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he is going the IFB route, he can just go to a bible "college" that doesn't require previous schooling and doesn't provide a real degree.

Yup. I think I'm the woman I've known to have a baby in the last 5 years that didn't do those odd selfies. They all have other people in their lives to take the pictures, why not ask them? I only did one or two bump shots and my husband took those pictures.

I had only 1 bump photo (near the end) of each of my pregnancies, too. Honestly, I was a WHALE and didn't want to put that memory to forever.

Loving this thread. I learn so much here! :popcorn2:

instagram.com/p/7_H8-7jfvm/?taken-by=jessaseewald

No comments on this yet? Jessa has posted a bible reference which I would assume be referring to the Pope being in the States at the moment.

" Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else."

Any other interpretations?

This is *exactly* what I thought when I saw the post!!

I can't imagine it being easy for him. If he goes back to school, what about if he has some early classes and he's been up half the night? I know Jessa will probably be doing most of the legwork in that regard (i.e. feeding etc) but Ben will be woken up by the crying too, and he might get roped in to helping with something. And he's only 20. I remember feeling slightly weirded out when I realised he was only a couple of months older than me (whoops, outed myself there). I'm about to start my third year of university and can no way imagine having a kid. Of course, being a female, I'd have to do the actual carrying and birthing shebang...

In the UK men get 2 weeks' paternity leave and that's it. Ben's not even employed by a formal business. If he is employed by Boob, what kind of money does he get? In some ways, it's good he at least wants to go to school and improve himself (LOL!) but the timing is just all wrong.

What does he even do for Boob anyway??

He would do what literally everyone else in the entire history of ever have done... deal. I mean, assuming he is an actual grown up. I am hardly in the minority when I say that my husband and I both worked full time when our kiddo was born and yeah, it sucked to work without getting enough sleep, it sucked bad. Guess what? We survived. I dunno how well we would have survived if we had both quit our jobs though.

LOL at Blessa trying to stay relevant by "encouraging people to interact with her" and having them "help" decide on a name for the baby. Duggar, please!

I can't imagine it being easy for him. If he goes back to school, what about if he has some early classes and he's been up half the night? I know Jessa will probably be doing most of the legwork in that regard (i.e. feeding etc) but Ben will be woken up by the crying too, and he might get roped in to helping with something. And he's only 20. I remember feeling slightly weirded out when I realised he was only a couple of months older than me (whoops, outed myself there). I'm about to start my third year of university and can no way imagine having a kid. Of course, being a female, I'd have to do the actual carrying and birthing shebang...

In the UK men get 2 weeks' paternity leave and that's it. Ben's not even employed by a formal business. If he is employed by Boob, what kind of money does he get? In some ways, it's good he at least wants to go to school and improve himself (LOL!) but the timing is just all wrong.

In the US, there is no paternity leave unless you work for a rare company that offers it (it is nearly unheard of, and I doubt Bin would land such a cushy job). Even paid maternity leave isn't really a thing in the states and many women return to work within three weeks of giving birth because they can't afford the time off. So it's not like he'd get paternity money regardless of his employer, might as well work for Boob in that regard.

Since Ben is the father of the child, he wouldn't be getting "roped in" to caring for the baby. It's his responsibility just as much as it is Jessa's, regardless of whether he is in school and/or working. Both Ben and Jessa chose to have a baby and waking up in the middle of the night is all part of it. It doesn't matter if Bin is tired from studying or mowing Boob's lawn. He's still has to take care of his kid. In America there is only unpaid maternity/paternity leave anyway. Most people have to go to work exhausted if the baby is up crying all night.

Most men don't have that luxury. They have to continue at school and/or support their family. That's why it irks me.

Most men don't have the luxury, but that doesn't make it a wrong choice for people who DO have the luxury. Lots of people don't have the luxury to take time off from work to travel. Does that mean nobody should have and enjoy vacation time? Many people can't afford to eat out. Does that mean people who can afford it shouldn't enjoy a nice meal out from time to time? Lots of people can't afford to take any time off in regards to having a baby. Does that mean people who have the money or a job with leave benefits shouldn't take that time to care for their newborn?

If I was about to pop, and my partner could make the choice to be truly there for me regardless of when my water breaks (instead of potentially being in an exam with his phone required to be off or whatever), and to have the first few months to focus WITH me on the infant, rather than being in the busiest part of the term, I know damn well which choice sounds better. The fact that most people can't doesn't make it wrong. What's wrong is that most people can't.

I'm sure the birth of baby Seeweed will be the last big hurrah for these kids. There will most likely be enough $$ coming in from exclusive photos, interviews and sound bites to keep them afloat for a little while anyway. Everyone cooing and fawning over the baby. At some point the public interest will certainly drop off.

If and when he does attend seminary, he'll basically not be working then either. Unless they have a huge savings or plan to take out loans, who really knows how they will support themselves. Maybe they will grift enough Walmart gift cards for weekly groceries. Is there a seminary close enough to where they currently live or will they plan to move?

I don't find it so terrible that Ben is waiting until the baby is born to start school. If he wants to be able to concentrate, maybe it is better to wait. I have a lot of students who try to stay in school the year a baby is born and they end up regretting it. So maybe he is doing the right thing. Similarly if he delays going back to school until the baby is no longer waking up all night, I wouldn't blame him.

I would agree if it wasn't for that "we're having as many blessings as the lord will give us" thing. With that they will always have a little one or a little one on the way for the next 20 years or so. If he does this with every baby, he will never go back to school/work. Usually, if parents decide to take a break to focus on a child, they make sure they won't be having the next one on the way a week after starting up again.

Again... I just don't see that. Have an interest? Yes. But electrical work is not magic or rocket science. Anyone with reasonable attention to detail can learn how to do it safely. Just because most places require a professional to do it does not mean that it is beyond the comprehension of not-moron adults. Lots of rural places only require an electrician to certify electrical work, not complete it. I'm not defending the Duggars here as much as not encouraging people to be scared of electronics. I don't know if the older Duggar boys are careful enough to do electrical work safely, but it's not beyond their intellectual capabilities, SOTDRT though they may be. We also don't have any evidence that they're trying to do electrical stuff themselves anyway.

There's so much to criticize about the Duggars but I swear some people make up stuff to "worry" over.

My dh did the electrical when we finished the basement, and then had an electrician come in to verify it was up to code. He learned and read and figured it out, and it was fine.

But it's the duggars so of course it's obviously bad and horrible and they're terrible people, lol.

I don't think the criticism of the Duggars working with electricity is really all that of an overreaction. Sometimes people take for granted everyday dangers. I have a coworker whose husband was electrocuted to death while cleaning a stove plug and socket. They don't know exactly what he did, but apparently everything was up to code. As we know, there are laws and I found this for Little Rock, I am assuming it's not much different for Duggar-land: littlerock.org/!userfiles/editor/docs/planning/Statics_Specialreports/Electric_code.pdf

My hopes are that JB would have anything they do inspected, but based on their "watch it done a few times and you're an expert" mentality, I think it's reasonable to speculate they may try to circumvent laws and do a half-assed job, which yes, may result in injury, fire or even death.

I have to say I liked Jessa's ruched shirt in the selfie. It must be a maternity T shirt. Soft gathers, and it fits, but doesn't stretch into oblivion. I like it. She does look nice in the photo, if it wasn't for that smug smile.

Is there a seminary close enough to where they currently live or will they plan to move?

Just from knowing people I've gone to church with, I know of a few (maybe even most) REAL seminary schools are schools you can do mostly online. You might have to fly in to take an important exam (ex. to get into a PH.D program) but I've known a couple guys wanting to be pastors/furthering education going to places like Liberty and doing it completely online.

Not sure if Ben is wanting to go to an IFB Bible College - that might be less likely for him to do completely from home. Pensacola Christian college seems to have online graduate courses: pcci.edu/distancelearning/dlinformation.aspx

Looks like Lancaster has some too: lbc.edu/accelerated-learning/

West Coast Baptist too: wco.wcbc.edu/

Crown: crown.edu/landingpage/online-learning/ (So even if Joseph doesn't physically go back to TN right now, he could still be enrolled)

Sooo...he could at least get started at home in whatever he's thinking about. Ben I imagine is going to be more the Liberty or equivalent because his interest in Theology (to me) seems really genuine. He'd want the real deal.

I'm sure the birth of baby Seeweed will be the last big hurrah for these kids. There will most likely be enough $$ coming in from exclusive photos, interviews and sound bites to keep them afloat for a little while anyway. Everyone cooing and fawning over the baby. At some point the public interest will certainly drop off.

If and when he does attend seminary, he'll basically not be working then either. Unless they have a huge savings or plan to take out loans, who really knows how they will support themselves. Maybe they will grift enough Walmart gift cards for weekly groceries. Is there a seminary close enough to where they currently live or will they plan to move?

Agree that the baby will be the last big hurrah. There's still enough interest in the family right now between the scandals plus the show was recently cancelled so the interest hasn't fully tapered off yet. But it will eventually.

If he goes to seminary full time, if he can manage to work, it's going to be part time at best. Chances are he won't be able to work at all during the school term because the class demands can be quite high. The college I attended had a seminary and I don't recall any seminarians working during the school year. Plus they were required to do an internship at a church which could take them anywhere in the country and that internship was their job. If Ben goes to an accredited school with similar requirements, he's probably not going to be able to work, at least not during the school year.

Here's a question that's going to sound snarkier than intended: does all the "pastors actually have to work hard" talk apply for the type of pastor it looks like Ben wants to be? Because it seems to me that Ben wants to be more of the televangelist/charismatic type of pastor, as opposed to the type who has their own smallish church and is a source of spiritual support for his community. And while Megachurch type pastors probably "work hard" in business and promotional sense, I can't imagine any of them taking middle of the night calls from grieving parishioners.

I don't think Ben wants to work hard at being a preacher. He isn't going to put in the work. I think he likes the idea of being this dynamic religious man but he doesn't seem to have the skills nor inclination to do what is necessary to get there. He isn't going to lead any church unless it's in his house. You want to preach you need to be able to make people want to listen, Write your own sermons, be able to preach on the fly. Ben seems to be only able to regurgitate what someone else has said or written. He doesn't have a new spin on anything.

Jessa would be a horrible First Lady of a church. My grandma went to a church where the preacher's wife was beloved. She was always well put together but she was compassionate and people strived to be like her. She was involved in everything and she seemed to actually enjoy being with the congregation and helping them when needed. I can't see Jessa putting herself out like that. I think Jessa would just want to look pretty while sitting in the first row.

My brother is a pastor. He is one of the few that did not finish REAL Bible college (he completed most of it but struggles in school) and has been hired at (now) two great (and very large) churches. This is extremely rare as far as I know in mainstream Christianity and the way he was able to essentially "grandfather" his way up was through SERVING in the church for many years through his teens and early twenties. By serving I do mean working for the church for free and often over 40 hours a week while also in school and working elsewhere part time. Speaking objectively about my brother, he is a a hard working man. He's eager to serve others, extremely compassionate and his life is the epitome of integrity! He actually lives a life that strives to be like Jesus. He spends time with "ebil sinners" and loves them/us (Hahaha - me included) without trying to make us feel like we're all going straight to hell. Anyway, my point is, Bin, right now has none of what I think it takes to be a pastor.

I agree with the above posters. Ben wants to be a pastor who's parishioners work hard for him. He and Jessa like the idea of being the idealized couple, giving "sage" advice and beloved for being so perfect. They don't actually intend to work at building a congregation, ministering to the needy, bereaved or ill.

If Ben has to take off a semester to await the arrival of their "little one"** then how is he really going to make it through theology and polity classes at a regular seminary or do the ministering that most pastor actually do?

**footnoted to add that I hate that phrase. It's such a parroting expression used by j'chelle. You're having a baby Jessa-billions of women have done it before you. Get over yourself

snip

**footnoted to add that I hate that phrase. It's such a parroting expression used by j'chelle. You're having a baby Jessa-billions of women have done it before you. Get over yourself

Exactly! People have been having children FOREVER! And I'm in the camp who thinks it's absurd that Bin is taking a break from school for the baby! I got through college basically drunk and high for half of my 4.5 years at a great school and pulled off good grades! I'm pretty sure he can handle some sleep deprivation! Early 20-somethings are damn resilient!

Jill and Jessa TLC specials coming!

bigstory.ap.org/article/83e5c6786a9f41709650813486333211/tlc-specials-focus-duggar-daughters-jill-and-jessa

Re: Ben taking a semester off....

My son started college many years ago while he was married and his wife was pregnant. He too, "took a semester off".......fast forward 11 years. He is now the single father of 2 girls (11 and 8) with no mom in the picture at all, working full time, going to college full time (Brick and mortar college, not online), pulling out his hair, surviving on too little sleep and needing more than a little help from us.

My point is....once someone takes a semester or two off, it is very hard to get back to it. Life gets in the way. It's not impossible to do, but there must be drive, determination and motivation.

Jill and Jessa TLC specials coming!

bigstory.ap.org/article/83e5c6786a9f41709650813486333211/tlc-specials-focus-duggar-daughters-jill-and-jessa

Figures...

Archived