IGNORED

Jessa Duggar Seewald Pt 5 - The Smug is Strong With This One

happy atheist

I have no problem with Bin and Jessa doing basically nothing if they have the means to do so. More power to them. I think what bothers me and many people is that Bin doesn't really have a career to speak of. Sure, he was working when they first started courting and there is nothing wrong with working for your father-in-law, but is that his lifetime goal? Maybe it is... being groomed to be JB 2.0 and take over the TTH. Didn't he mention something about wanted to be a pastor someday? With that said, I would expect some sort of track to make that happen, seminary, heavy involvement with a local church, something... The AA degree is great, but why not go for a BA now?

It's obvious they are living off their fame as long as they can. That's fine, but I think most people are looking for a bit more...

Even if they have the means to do "basically nothing," I think there are several problems with them being do-nothings (if that's what they are). First, they believe they are models of Christian virtue for the unwashed masses. I very much doubt that, in most versions of Christian theology, it is morally acceptable to just do nothing. And it sets a terrible example to the mouth-breathers who want to model themselves after the smug Duggars.

Second, aside from religious objections, I think there's something bordering on immoral about people who fail to contribute to their society. They are getting all the benefits of living in a democratic, free culture, but are giving nothing back.

Third, even just for their own sake, I think it's a big mistake for them to fritter their lives away without working. If the day ever comes when they have to work, they'll be out of practice. And frankly, they may find their lives have a lot less personal meaning if they have nothing they are trying create, build, enhance, or facilitate (other than baby-making, of course).

Finally, how the heck can Bin see himself as a future pastor? Don't you have to be reliable, hard-working, conscientious, maybe even wise in order to do work like that?

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had several inspections on my home here recently, but I don't recall having to pay for any of them. I was just told by the contractors who did the renovations that the city would have to inspect the work when it was finished. A licensed inspector came by, evaluated the work, and then that was it, no fee or anything. I wonder if that varies from state to state?

I've had several inspections on my home here recently, but I don't recall having to pay for any of them. I was just told by the contractors who did the renovations that the city would have to inspect the work when it was finished. A licensed inspector came by, evaluated the work, and then that was it, no fee or anything. I wonder if that varies from state to state?

It is possible that the contractor paid for the inspection and it was basically included in what you paid the contractor overall.

Is it a "thing" to take an obvious selfie for bump updates when you're pregnant? Why can't Bin take the pics?

I was on a mommy board with other ladies due the same month as me. There were 15-20 of us. I am pretty sure I was the ONLY person who had my husband take my bump photos. Everyone else did mirror selfies.

Nice to see a Duggar engage in a little worldly vanity. Still wondering how she rationalizes self promotion as an approach to following Jesus. Do you suppose she knows that unbelievers also rejoice in pregnancy?

Oh, no, us heathens sacrifice our babies on the altar of convenience. Didn't you know?!?!1

My eyes almost rolled out of my head when I was typing that.

Finally, how the heck can Bin see himself as a future pastor? Don't you have to be reliable, hard-working, conscientious, maybe even wise in order to do work like that?

Excellent point. I've know pastors/priests, etc from various denominations and even if you're highly educated in Theology, it's major stress. Maybe he has what it takes but maybe he doesn't. From what I have seen of him right now, he's not the least bit charismatic, enlightening or persuasive. I'd love to see him write a sermon. Some of the best pastors I have listened to only used a brief outline and were able to just let it flow and really hold the congregations attention. I just can't see him doing this. On the flip side, Blessa would be a great pastor's wife.

Excellent point. I've know pastors/priests, etc from various denominations and even if you're highly educated in Theology, it's major stress. Maybe he has what it takes but maybe he doesn't. From what I have seen of him right now, he's not the least bit charismatic, enlightening or persuasive. I'd love to see him write a sermon. Some of the best pastors I have listened to only used a brief outline and were able to just let it flow and really hold the congregations attention. I just can't see him doing this. On the flip side, Blessa would be a great pastor's wife.

Doesn't the road to ministry, religious service and leadership, usually require life experiences, specific education, soul searching, time and hard work? Is there any denomination where a 20yo would be considered employable in that arena without any of the above skill sets or experiences?

Ridiculous.

These kidluts have been so brainwashed by their parents' false promises and assurances, they are so far behind where they should be.

Right? Jakarta is a city, I'm just saying... :lol:

The closest Wal-Mart is in Guangzhou in China (about a 2-3 hour flight), but if you want a big city, Jakarta's got you covered. And it's close to a lot of other big cities like Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Phnom Penh, and HCMC/Saigon. Can you tell I really want to go back to Southeast Asia? I only did one trip there and loved it!

instagram.com/p/7_H8-7jfvm/?taken-by=jessaseewald

No comments on this yet? Jessa has posted a bible reference which I would assume be referring to the Pope being in the States at the moment.

" Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else."

Any other interpretations?

Another important task of being a pastor is being there for people in about every life situation.

I once talked to a pastor about this, and he told me that he sometimes gets calls from desperate people in the middle of the night, he has to comfort those who just lost a family member or close friend, those who are ill or going through another though time.

It's not easy being a pastor, there is a lot more to the job than just standing there on Sunday delivering a sermon.

And I'm not so sure about Blessa being a good pastor's wife, I somehow don't see the qualities that, at least where I live, are required of a pastor's wife (or husband), like warmth, compassion, true interest in other people, patience and so on. Of course, if the pastor serves at a bigger church where there are other pastors, their spouse is not that important, but in villages, they also play a vital role, and if the church members don't like a pastors spouse, it can lead to trouble.

Another important task of being a pastor is being there for people in about every life situation.

I once talked to a pastor about this, and he told me that he sometimes gets calls from desperate people in the middle of the night, he has to comfort those who just lost a family member or close friend, those who are ill or going through another though time.

It's not easy being a pastor, there is a lot more to the job than just standing there on Sunday delivering a sermon.

And I'm not so sure about Blessa being a good pastor's wife, I somehow don't see the qualities that, at least where I live, are required of a pastor's wife (or husband), like warmth, compassion, true interest in other people, patience and so on. Of course, if the pastor serves at a bigger church where there are other pastors, their spouse is not that important, but in villages, they also play a vital role, and if the church members don't like a pastors spouse, it can lead to trouble.

They only have one tool preaching. no real compassion no understanding no education. no real caring for others not like them. they are in need of praise above all else.

According to Jessa's story, Bin "decided to take a break from his studies for this semester since we have a little one due Nov. 1, but he plans to move forward next year.â€

I just find this totally annoying. Why would Bin-Boy have to take a whole semester off because his little wife is giving birth part way through? He's not the one who's gestating; he's not the one who will give birth; he's not the one who will breastfeed; and I feel pretty confident in predicting he's not the one who will do the majority of work in carrying for the precious Benessa spawn.

Most men, in the real world, can't afford to cease their schooling (or their work) when their female partner is in her seventh month of pregnancy (which Smug-essa would have been at the beginning of the semester). To me, this is just a further indication of how unwilling these idiots are to do any real work.

When I was pregnant with my first, I worked full time AND I was still completing my degree. It wasn't remotely ideal, of course, and I'm not recommending it, but I can't imagine my partner deciding he needed to take some time off just because I was going to give birth.

Get real, Smug-essa.

Some days I think she's even worse than Smuggar himself in terms of their sense of entitlement.

According to Jessa's story, Bin "decided to take a break from his studies for this semester since we have a little one due Nov. 1, but he plans to move forward next year.â€

I just find this totally annoying. Why would Bin-Boy have to take a whole semester off because his little wife is giving birth part way through? He's not the one who's gestating; he's not the one who will give birth; he's not the one who will breastfeed; and I feel pretty confident in predicting he's not the one who will do the majority of work in carrying for the precious Benessa spawn.

Most men, in the real world, can't afford to cease their schooling (or their work) when their female partner is in her seventh month of pregnancy (which Smug-essa would have been at the beginning of the semester). To me, this is just a further indication of how unwilling these idiots are to do any real work.

When I was pregnant with my first, I worked full time AND I was still completing my degree. It wasn't remotely ideal, of course, and I'm not recommending it, but I can't imagine my partner deciding he needed to take some time off just because I was going to give birth.

Get real, Smug-essa.

Some days I think she's even worse than Smuggar himself in terms of their sense of entitlement.

I don't know. I think Bin will do substantial amount of work to helping Jessa. Much as he's easy to snark on, he does seem like the type to embrace the "husbands submit to their wives" idea and truly help her out as much as he possibly can.

And the next full school session will start in January, when the Seewalds will have a newborn, and it will be winter, cold and dark...the excuses will continue.

These folks are immature and entitled.

I would venture this answers the question as to whether or not Ben has secured an independent job-

And the next full school session will start in January, when the Seewalds will have a newborn, and it will be winter, cold and dark...the excuses will continue.

These folks are immature and entitled.

I would venture this answers the question as to whether or not Ben has secured an independent job-

To the boled above: Did anyone else sing that part to the Sunday School song?

I don't find it so terrible that Ben is waiting until the baby is born to start school. If he wants to be able to concentrate, maybe it is better to wait. I have a lot of students who try to stay in school the year a baby is born and they end up regretting it. So maybe he is doing the right thing. Similarly if he delays going back to school until the baby is no longer waking up all night, I wouldn't blame him.

He should, however, be working. If he is indeed employed by JB, he should put in a full day's work, even if he is just doing gardening or cleaning toilets or whatever. Someone that young can take a year or two off from school and not be any the worse in the long run. (Sometimes they come back with maturity and a stronger understanding.)

Regarding the question of his readiness to be a pastor, surely he would need to finish college-- and wouldn't that be at least a couple of years of education? So perhaps he will have matured a little?

I completely agree that the problem is that Ben and Jessa don't seem to be very realistic and that their dependence on JB is not likely to promote maturity. And I would add that they are not yet ready to give up their sense of themselves as " celebrities." Jessa's thing with the baby gifts is not just grifting. I think the gifts from fans validate her in some way.

In short, I find them annoying, but I will give the situation a couple of years before I conclude that Ben is going nowhere with his life. Maybe they will grow up and then he should be fine.

I don't know. I think Bin will do substantial amount of work to helping Jessa. Much as he's easy to snark on, he does seem like the type to embrace the "husbands submit to their wives" idea and truly help her out as much as he possibly can.

Even if he does help her (as he should), it doesn't mean that he has to take a whole semester (or even two) off. Especially since in college, you usually don't have classes all day long, so he could spend a lot of time at home, working from there, while taking breaks to help his wife out if needed. And wasn't Ben taking online classes anyway?

I am laughing at her "name my baby" thing on Instagram/the seewald blog.

Is this something the other Duggars have done? Weird.

I vote for Ashley or Danica.

Most men don't have that luxury. They have to continue at school and/or support their family. That's why it irks me.

I'm not so sure Benjermin has the luxury either. I think he and Jessa are probably still in denial about the end of the gravy train. He should be focusing on the future financial health of his family, especially as birth control isn't an option and grifted gift cards aren't a renewable resource.

That was Derick. And Jill was the one laughing

Ah, It was Derrick, but Ben positioned the sled with Derrick on it and the whole Duggar family laughed (at least whoever was outside.) You can see and hear them in the longer version of the video. They are all starting to look the same.

I'm not so sure Benjermin has the luxury either. I think he and Jessa are probably still in denial about the end of the gravy train. He should be focusing on the future financial health of his family, especially as birth control isn't an option and grifted gift cards aren't a renewable resource.

I can't imagine it being easy for him. If he goes back to school, what about if he has some early classes and he's been up half the night? I know Jessa will probably be doing most of the legwork in that regard (i.e. feeding etc) but Ben will be woken up by the crying too, and he might get roped in to helping with something. And he's only 20. I remember feeling slightly weirded out when I realised he was only a couple of months older than me (whoops, outed myself there). I'm about to start my third year of university and can no way imagine having a kid. Of course, being a female, I'd have to do the actual carrying and birthing shebang...

In the UK men get 2 weeks' paternity leave and that's it. Ben's not even employed by a formal business. If he is employed by Boob, what kind of money does he get? In some ways, it's good he at least wants to go to school and improve himself (LOL!) but the timing is just all wrong.

What does he even do for Boob anyway??

It is possible that the contractor paid for the inspection and it was basically included in what you paid the contractor overall.

I asked Mr. R&M what he thought, and since we've never had to pay for an inspection, he just assumes that it's as you said, that the cost is included in the contract for whatever services we brokered. The city officials have to be notified when we make improvements to our property, so it's likely the companies we hired paid them. :)

Edited for tense shift

Archived