IGNORED

Jessa Duggar Seewald Pt 5 - The Smug is Strong With This One

happy atheist

Was it Sorry or Sonny? I wondered the same thing.

That video, looked so staged to me. The boys, other than Ben had no idea what to do. It just seemed really clear to me that those kids have had very little opportunity to do organized sports.

This isn't a bad thing as sports are not everyone's thing, but it seems like they are rolling out these videos and posting shots of the kids at games and such as a way to normalize their image.

We know from the past, that they purposely avoided sports, and that other than broom ball, didn't really encourage organized sports. The kids didn't wear sport team tee shirts, etc, and now all of sudden we are supposed to believe they are big razorback and OK fans?

I just think it is part of their PR strategy. I do hope though that it backfires on JB and that introducing the kids to a more normal activity will open their eyes. They are going to see a lot of different kinds of people at those big ball games, people will be having beer, swearing, and wearing immodest clothing.

I just can't imagine that the middle boys aren't going to notice some of those girls in shorts, or the cheerleaders, etc.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised I haven't read any comments about Jessa encouraging fans to donate directly to S.O.S. Ministries and not to the Dillard Family Ministries. Maybe it is on the Dillard thread? Jessa seems busy burning bridges these days while still doing some of the PR command performances such as wishing Michelle a happy birthday.

Do you guys think it's a possibility that Ben can't get hired because of all of the explosive Duggar scandals? For some reason, I still think that Derrick was let go...

From an HR standpoint, this would be highly illegal, not to mention down right silly. Sure, I can't see political careers in their future, and some mom and pop places could easily not hire them, but a typical recruiter wouldn't pass over a qualified candidate because of a brother in law's issues.

Ben doesn't even have the family name.

Surprised I haven't read any comments about Jessa encouraging fans to donate directly to S.O.S. Ministries and not to the Dillard Family Ministries. Maybe it is on the Dillard thread? Jessa seems busy burning bridges these days while still doing some of the PR command performances such as wishing Michelle a happy birthday.

I noticed this, too. It seems as if some of the kiddults are turning on each other in the wake of Joshgate 2.0. I don't know if that's because the scandal forced them to choose sides or because they're now competing for limited media opportunities or even because Josh's undeniably atrocious behavior has given them permission to more freely acknowledge when they have a beef with one another. But, whatever it is, it's interesting.

I noticed this, too. It seems as if some of the kiddults are turning on each other in the wake of Joshgate 2.0. I don't know if that's because the scandal forced them to choose sides or because they're now competing for limited media opportunities or even because Josh's undeniably atrocious behavior has given them permission to more freely acknowledge when they have a beef with one another. But, whatever it is, it's interesting.

For all of her faults, girl's got a sense of justice! She is angry, and righteously so.

1. I knew my comment would be controversial, but I stand by it. Chad didnt have a job until a few weeks before his marriage to Erin. Ben had "real" jobs when he met/courted Jessa. Ben is work shy? I get that he doesn't have a"real job" at the moment, but I wouldn't say he doesn't want to work :? I think they're fine right now, but he will eventually get a "real" job. He knows he has to support his family. If he was counting on reality tv fame he would have quit college(and remember many of you thought he stopped taking college classes to focus on "19KAC")

Chad worked construction before moving to Tennessee to marry Erin. Construction is real, hard work.

Erin continued to teach piano after marrying Chad, and returned to teaching when Carson was a few months old. Giving music lessons is real work, and I don't appreciate people out there who look down on it as somehow less than real work.

Erin is earning money, even if only a few dollars a week.

Erin and Chad work at real jobs that are not glamorous. No one is paying their travel expenses to/from work; they have no photo ops, no backstage, no green room w/ snacks.

From an HR standpoint, this would be highly illegal, not to mention down right silly. Sure, I can't see political careers in their future, and some mom and pop places could easily not hire them, but a typical recruiter wouldn't pass over a qualified candidate because of a brother in law's issues.

For BIL issues, no.

For previous job issues and the negative circus atmosphere surrounding, yes.

What company would want that potential distraction at this point?

It will be better as time goes on and other negatives hit the airwaves that will replace the Duggars and all their phony follies.

I, for one, do not think that Derrick was let go at least not over Joshgate. It would be illegal to cut someone loose over a in-law family member's scandal, something he was not involved in. Now it could have been embarrassing for him in the workplace after Joshgate, fielding questions, whispers, etc. but the scandal should not affect his employment from a legal standpoint. Now if he was indeed let go, I suspect the most likely reason would be performance and absenteeism due to show commitments. That I could see being a problem, but once again, there's no way to know that.

I think he planned his exit from Walmart HQ. The timing is interesting, to be sure, but both he and Jill expressed interest in going out to the mission field (around the time of their marriage IIRC) so this might have been the plan all along and nothing to do with Joshgate. It's entirely possible that they decided to wait until they had baby Izzy and get his surgery done before leaving the country. They have made multiple trips back already so that's probably how they planned handling his surgery follow ups. The big house they lived in has been cleared out so far it appears that they aren't planning on returning to NWA permanently very soon.

Now whether or not Derrick's relieved at getting his wife away from her family while another family mess unfolded, well, he's not going to say it but I would not be at all surprised that he's feeling it.

Chad worked construction before moving to Tennessee to marry Erin. Construction is real, hard work.

Erin continued to teach piano after marrying Chad, and returned to teaching when Carson was a few months old. Giving music lessons is real work, and I don't appreciate people out there who look down on it as somehow less than real work.

Erin is earning money, even if only a few dollars a week.

Erin and Chad work at real jobs that are not glamorous. No one is paying their travel expenses to/from work; they have no photo ops, no backstage, no green room w/ snacks.

IIRC Chad changed jobs when he moved to Tennessee but he definitely had worked construction back in OK and was reported to be working at the scrap yard when he married Erin. Erin was doing music lessons before and planned on doing that after marriage. So both had jobs going on. The current TV show is probably not paying the same amount of $$ and perks as TLC did for the Duggars. So neither are quitting their respective jobs anytime soon, they still need them.

As far as Ben, yes he's worked real jobs and could still do them. He also has an AA degree which could serve as a springboard to getting a four year degree if he wants to continue his education. He's young enough and still has options, it's hardly over for him yet Now he's probably in a state of shock and anger over Joshgates, the end of the show and it's income / perks and a new baby on the way. Definitely not what he had planned but that he's always going to be "work shy?". Loss of the show might actually be the best thing for him because it might get him to realize that he has to do something. Had the show continued, he might have been happy to rely on that for his income and do nothing with himself.

That video, looked so staged to me. The boys, other than Ben had no idea what to do. It just seemed really clear to me that those kids have had very little opportunity to do organized sports.

This isn't a bad thing as sports are not everyone's thing, but it seems like they are rolling out these videos and posting shots of the kids at games and such as a way to normalize their image.

We know from the past, that they purposely avoided sports, and that other than broom ball, didn't really encourage organized sports. The kids didn't wear sport team tee shirts, etc, and now all of sudden we are supposed to believe they are big razorback and OK fans?

I just think it is part of their PR strategy. I do hope though that it backfires on JB and that introducing the kids to a more normal activity will open their eyes. They are going to see a lot of different kinds of people at those big ball games, people will be having beer, swearing, and wearing immodest clothing.

I just can't imagine that the middle boys aren't going to notice some of those girls in shorts, or the cheerleaders, etc.

The Duggars attended razorback games before the scandals. They had a Superbowl party in February, I don't think they avoid sports. I remember the Duggars attending a minor league baseball game in the first(?) season of the show.

I thought it said Sonny but now that ClaraOswin mentioned "sorry" I am not so sure anymore. I do think I remember a smilie face after the word, too (too lazy to go back and check :) ) still kind of weird.

If Wal Mart fired everyone who had an asshole family member, they'd have no one working there.

Wal Mart is a big ass corporate machine. I doubt they care about some peripheral family member of someone in a tabloid for a few weeks. Also, they would cover their corporate ass, and that's a totally unfair reason to be fired. But then again, I heard they maybe locked people inside stores at night, so who knows?

This is my first post, but I just wanted to say that Arkansas is a right to work state. You can be fired for any reason as long as it isn't an illegal reason (race or age discrimination). You can also be fired for no reason at all. :cray-cray:

The Duggars attended razorback games before the scandals. They had a Superbowl party in February, I don't think they avoid sports. I remember the Duggars attending a minor league baseball game in the first(?) season of the show.

I seem to remember on the Instagram threads before the scandals broke that there were a few posts from razorback games.

I saw those videos too.

What's with "sorry" being burnt(?) into the grass on the hill??

I was shocked to see shorts too. It must be really comfortable to play ball in a long prairie skirt AND leggings!!!! :doh:

I couldn't quite make out the grassy area...weird

(snippety snip)

Clearly this is the result of Sierra's latest jinder reveal party and now we know Blessa is having a boy. :lol:

Lol - they must see what's discussed here -

duggarfamilyblog.com/2015/09/update-on-ben-seewalds-career.html?m=1

Long time lurker, first time poster - HI!!!

ps - let me know if I need to break that link - I didn't think so since it's not an "official" site...

I know I'm in the minority here, but I really don't see anything wrong with Ben working for Jim Bob. It's not like a job suddenly isn't 'real' if you happen to be working for your father-in-law. To be honest, I think he'd have better long term prospects if he stuck with the Duggar family real estate business, at least for now, vs. going to seminary.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I really don't see anything wrong with Ben working for Jim Bob. It's not like a job suddenly isn't 'real' if you happen to be working for your father-in-law. To be honest, I think he'd have better long term prospects if he stuck with the Duggar family real estate business, at least for now, vs. going to seminary.

So far in terms of Duggar employment, Ben has been: (purportedly)

An errand boy

Tow truck driver with JD

And now working for Duggar real estate?

The problem with JB employing Ben (as in paid employment) is that JB himself is unemployed, as are Josh, Joe (purportedly in school), Josiah, Jed, Jer, + 4 other J'Duggar boys.

Employing Ben flies in the face of the often touted Duggar tenets of: Buy used and save the difference and leave and cleave.

While it might be lovely for Ben to have the easy hours and fast money that JB might supply, what's in if for JB?????

In addition, how are the Seewalds getting the medical benefits they obviously need???

Wonder if they're uninsured or covered under the AAA?

The problem with JB employing Ben (as in paid employment) is that JB himself is unemployed, as are Josh, Joe (purportedly in school), Josiah, Jed, Jer, + 4 other J'Duggar boys.

Employing Ben flies in the face of the often touted Duggar tenets of: Buy used and save the difference and leave and cleave.

While it might be lovely for Ben to have the easy hours and fast money that JB might supply, what's in if for JB?????

In addition, how are the Seewalds getting the medical benefits they obviously need???

Wonder if they're uninsured or covered under the AAA?

How is Jim Bob unemployed? Do you think that self-employed people are unemployed? Isn't there private health insurance that self-employed people purchase? Jed, Jer, and the 4 other 'unemployed' Duggar boys you mention are children. They should be unemployed.

What's in it for JB? Probably what's in it for anyone who employs a family member - a reliable employee you know and trust. Employing your sons, sons-in-law, cousins, nephews, etc. in your own business used to be common. It's not any less legitimate than working for a stranger, even if a Duggar is the one doing it.

If this were 5 years on and Ben and Jessa were like, "lol yeah we're still living in Grandma's house rent-free, it's great. Ben's still kind of thinking about seminary or something but he's working for my dad doing odd jobs on the weekend and getting paid under the table. Oh, so are all my brothers, haha." It would be a different story.

How is Jim Bob unemployed? Do you think that self-employed people are unemployed? Isn't there private health insurance that self-employed people purchase? Jed, Jer, and the 4 other 'unemployed' Duggar boys you mention are children. They should be unemployed.

What's in it for JB? Probably what's in it for anyone who employs a family member - a reliable employee you know and trust. Employing your sons, sons-in-law, cousins, nephews, etc. in your own business used to be common. It's not any less legitimate than working for a stranger, even if a Duggar is the one doing it.

If this were 5 years on and Ben and Jessa were like, "lol yeah we're still living in Grandma's house rent-free, it's great. Ben's still kind of thinking about seminary or something but he's working for my dad doing odd jobs on the weekend and getting paid under the table. Oh, so are all my brothers, haha." It would be a different story.

Are you considering the rental income as the Duggars' "company"?

Is that the self employment to which you are referring?

Are you considering the rental income as the Duggars' "company"?

Is that the self employment to which you are referring?

Did you even read the article being referenced here? Yes, I'm talking about rental income, but I'm also talking about the part of the business Jessa discusses specifically in the blog post, namely the buying, flipping, and selling of houses. Even leaving that aside, what do you think being a landlord is? Do you think you just sit there doing nothing while the money pours in?

Personally, I found Jessa's article rather self serving. It definitely reads to me as if they are trying to spin all the talk about what it is exactly that all of those adult and near adult children and married in law's are doing with their time.

And, unless JB really is a true real estate mogul, just how many full time employees does he need? I have friends in the real estate business, who are part of big nationally established firms, and even the most successful ones, wouldn't need a boat load of employees in a small town like Tontitown.

I think the issue that Sassy may have been addressing, is that when Ben works for JB, it really is more of an extension of JB still being in charge and running the show. He works for JB at JB's will, and when Jed and Jer, Jason, James, etc, are in need of jobs, just how long can JB keep Ben on?

And how long is Ben going to be willing to let JB run his life? As long as they are working for Jimbob, JimBob owns them. These kids are not even well enough educated to even know if they are being compensated fairly. And as long as they are living in G-ma Mary's house, JB owns them.

It isn't hard for me to imagine that Jimbob pays little to nothing, and considers the free living space part of the salary. True, that is a pretty good deal, but it also likely prevents them from building up any equity, or savings, in which to spring themselves to independence.

Lots of families work in the same business, and through out history, there are patriarchies that run the family business. No disputing that. JB is far from the first patriarch to groom his kids to take over the family business. But in JB's case, the family business is sketchy.

WTF!

"*For readers who have asked about sending gift cards to the Seewalds, Jessa told us that her favorite stores are Target and Walmart. Letters and gifts can be sent to PO Box 1000 Tontitown, AR 72770 (USPS) or 548 Arbor Acres Ave, Springdale, AR 72762 (FedEx/UPS)."

Personally, I found Jessa's article rather self serving. It definitely reads to me as if they are trying to spin all the talk about what it is exactly that all of those adult and near adult children and married in law's are doing with their time.

And, unless JB really is a true real estate mogul, just how many full time employees does he need? I have friends in the real estate business, who are part of big nationally established firms, and even the most successful ones, wouldn't need a boat load of employees in a small town like Tontitown.

I think the issue that Sassy may have been addressing, is that when Ben works for JB, it really is more of an extension of JB still being in charge and running the show. He works for JB at JB's will, and when Jed and Jer, Jason, James, etc, are in need of jobs, just how long can JB keep Ben on?

And how long is Ben going to be willing to let JB run his life? As long as they are working for Jimbob, JimBob owns them. These kids are not even well enough educated to even know if they are being compensated fairly. And as long as they are living in G-ma Mary's house, JB owns them.

It isn't hard for me to imagine that Jimbob pays little to nothing, and considers the free living space part of the salary. True, that is a pretty good deal, but it also likely prevents them from building up any equity, or savings, in which to spring themselves to independence.

Lots of families work in the same business, and through out history, there are patriarchies that run the family business. No disputing that. JB is far from the first patriarch to groom his kids to take over the family business. But in JB's case, the family business is sketchy.

I basically agree with all of this. My issue is that I think it's disingenuous to continue to insist that Ben is 'unemployed' when he's not. Clearly he is working and earning a wage. I guess I think continuing to harp on the erroneous belief that Ben and Jessa are unemployed, earning no money, and doing nothing all day, just distracts from the actual problems inherent in how they're making money and what they're doing. Ben working for Jim Bob in and of itself is not a problem. Jim Bob and Michelle giving their kids houses to live in but actively discouraging them from pursuing any kind of higher education or training that could lead to independent careers is a big problem. Ben may or may not be in trouble with regards to his employment prospects, but I think it's way too soon to tell. He's 20 and he just finished college. Yes, he's about to have a baby, but he has an income, a roof over his head, and (presumably) no debt. For now at least, he's in a far better position than many others in his situation.

Archived