IGNORED

Jessa Duggar Seewald Pt 5 - The Smug is Strong With This One

happy atheist

I can see JB pulling in the reins tighter more so that his brand doesn't suffer any more blows. But at the same time, there's bound to be some serious turmoil at the TTH these days. If JB and J'chelle are busy looking after Josh's rehab, which seems to be what's happening (wherever he is), that means the house is left to the kids who are probably doing all kinds of acting out. J'slaves can only control so much.

ETA: with all that has gone in the family over the last several months, I seriously wonder if the the genie is out of the bottle as far as control. It's obvious that JB and J'chelle could not control Josh, not that they ever could, but it may serve to show the other kids that Daddy's control isn't what they thought it was. It may have shattered an illusion and that might be all it takes.

Marrying into the right ATI family could be a serious challenge now that the show is over. Pa Keller was obviously impressed with Josh in spite of his earlier misbehavior because of the Duggar family fame. Marjorie Jackson disappeared around the time the show was cancelled. There's been discussion here that not all fundie families approved of their famewhoring. Their options could be even more limited now.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marrying into the right ATI family could be a serious challenge now that the show is over. Pa Keller was obviously impressed with Josh in spite of his earlier misbehavior because of the Duggar family fame. Marjorie Jackson disappeared around the time the show was cancelled. There's been discussion here that not all fundie families approved of their famewhoring. Their options could be even more limited now.

Add to that their idea that sins of the father determine if you are a good or bad person . . . this would imply that JB was bad, because that is why Josh is bad, which would imply they all are bad, right? Maybe I don't understand their "logic" but that may make things even harder.

Though, it shouldn't hurt the girls (except that Josh may have made them impure) because as I recall the sins only go through the father, the mother actually has no impact on that in Gothard world, only the father's seed matters, the mother is the soil. . .

Add to that their idea that sins of the father determine if you are a good or bad person . . . this would imply that JB was bad, because that is why Josh is bad, which would imply they all are bad, right? Maybe I don't understand their "logic" but that may make things even harder.

Though, it shouldn't hurt the girls (except that Josh may have made them impure) because as I recall the sins only go through the father, the mother actually has no impact on that in Gothard world, only the father's seed matters, the mother is the soil. . .

The "logic", such as it is, could make brains explode. But agree it would make things harder.

I think it's safe to say their image is certainly not as pristine as it was before. And now with no TLC money, it's harder to overlook any flaws.

I wonder if Jessa is kicking herself yet for not marrying a more successful man? Sure, Ben's attractive but he's not better looking than Chad Paine IMO, and Chad has that thing called a real JOB. Even the Pecan Thief has a decent job. For being one of the prettiest fundie girls, Jessa sure didn't marry up. Guess things look different when you have a reality show. I agree that things are going to get tense in their little house real soon.

I wonder if Jessa is kicking herself yet for not marrying a more successful man? Sure, Ben's attractive but he's not better looking than Chad Paine IMO, and Chad has that thing called a real JOB. Even the Pecan Thief has a decent job. For being one of the prettiest fundie girls, Jessa sure didn't marry up. Guess things look different when you have a reality show. I agree that things are going to get tense in their little house real soon.

Um, no. He's not. He's slightly more attractive than Josh, Joe, or JD Duggar, but what kind of standard is that?

I think Ben is attractive (physically). I also think Joseph Duggar is cute. Josh was also cute when he was around 18-21. Then there are men who most women seem to go crazy over whose appeal I just can't figure out. So much of it is in the eye of the beholder.

I have thought this all along. Now, just for a minute, suspend your disgust with the patriarchal set up the Duggar's follow. JB is a pretty piss poor patriarch if the best he could do for a very pretty and semi-celebrity/fundie royalty daughter is Ben Seewald. I have not understood that match up from the beginning, in terms of a patriarchal point of view. I think that JB should have been able wrangle up a much more promising candidate for Jessa. Other than decent looks, and I will admit, a nice physique, Ben doesn't really bring much to the table. He doesn't come from wealth, He is not a natural on film and his attempt to do interviews etc, just really show how much he is out of his league. He isn't particularly clever, or witty. Well he might be off camera, but he seems to lack the ability to translate much warmth, intelligence, logic on screen. Sometimes he seems to even struggle with the basics of speaking his native tongue.

So, that leads me to believe a few things, 1) is Jessa was even more headstrong that we may have suspected, and she was not going to be content with daddy picking out her mate. She wanted Ben, for some reason and JB just went along, 2) JB is an ass to deal with and even though they seemed to have been fundie royalty, many who know them better, didn't want to deal with him or 3), the most likely, in my opinion; JB deliberately sought out or encouraged courtships with potential spouses that he felt he could control. To have given Jessa to another fundie royal, would have caused a constant power struggle between headships. Guinn and Michael Seewald, seemed all too eager to acquiesce their oldest son to Jim Bob. (Why they did this is topic for another conversation, but I think it is very curious that they just fell right into the fold)

Taking Ben on, as an immature, rather unformed young man might have been very appealing to JB.

It is sad, because objectively Ben has enough intelligence to have done well in college. Chances are if he had been allowed a more normal late adolescence and early young adulthood, he would have eventually grown out of his douchey ways.

So, that leads me to believe a few things, 1) is Jessa was even more headstrong that we may have suspected, and she was not going to be content with daddy picking out her mate. She wanted Ben, for some reason and JB just went along, 2) JB is an ass to deal with and even though they seemed to have been fundie royalty, many who know them better, didn't want to deal with him or 3), the most likely, in my opinion; JB deliberately sought out or encouraged courtships with potential spouses that he felt he could control. To have given Jessa to another fundie royal, would have caused a constant power struggle between headships. Guinn and Michael Seewald, seemed all too eager to acquiesce their oldest son to Jim Bob. (Why they did this is topic for another conversation, but I think it is very curious that they just fell right into the fold)

Excellent, excellent points. I think it's all a big mixture of those reasons. I recall watching (or trying to) the cringe-worthy courting proposal in JB's office and my first thought was "why are they allowing this nobody kid to date her??" The whole thing just lacked any fun or mystery or story. At least Jill's "head-over heels falling in love with someone on Skype then trip across the globe to meet him" had some fun twists and turns (although Derrick is boring as hell). I have a feeling Jessa and Ben somehow met and connected more than they let on prior to actual courtship meeting. I agree that Jessa was probably insistent on courting him and just played along like is was some sort of big surprise. I think JB would certainly and ultimately prefer Fundie royalty for his girls, but after sleeping on this, knew he could control Ben so them ultimately allowed it. I think he's going to have much higher standards for Jana, Jinger and Joy.... by the time the lost girls come of age, who really knows?

Or he might relax his standards in a hurry to offload the kids to spouses who can ease his financial burden.

I really think he fully intended to sponsor most of his kids and their spouses. He would provide homes, token 'job' for the men and then ultimately control the whole lot.

Now he probably is more worried about how he can get the all married off soon, and out from umbrella of financial headship. His 5 or so million bucks will not last until infinity for 19 married kids and their large families.

I think once the dust settles we will start hearing of courtships and or engagements.

Or he might relax his standards in a hurry to offload the kids to spouses who can ease his financial burden.

I really think he fully intended to sponsor most of his kids and their spouses. He would provide homes, token 'job' for the men and then ultimately control the whole lot.

Now he probably is more worried about how he can get the all married off soon, and out from umbrella of financial headship. His 5 or so million bucks will not last until infinity for 19 married kids and their large families.

I think once the dust settles we will start hearing of courtships and or engagements.

but how many people will want to enter those courtships?

I think we're more likely to see a few Jacob Roloffs than we are willing courtship participants.

Related to Jacob, I've seen some reports that TLC has been putting away money for minors for some time now.

I remember being really surprised at Jessa's courtship announcement. Sort of had a "....him?" reaction. Definitely pictured her with someone more attractive and charismatic and higher up in the Fundie royalty chain. She didn't seem that interested in her courtship episodes either so I didn't get their relationship at all. They might be happy but I agree, I think some tense times are ahead. Money is soooooo stressful and they will need it with a new baby, especially if they don't get gifted everything they want (if they are even asking for baby stuff, I dont know!)

I remember being really surprised at Jessa's courtship announcement. Sort of had a "....him?" reaction. Definitely pictured her with someone more attractive and charismatic and higher up in the Fundie royalty chain. She didn't seem that interested in her courtship episodes either so I didn't get their relationship at all. They might be happy but I agree, I think some tense times are ahead. Money is soooooo stressful and they will need it with a new baby, especially if they don't get gifted everything they want (if they are even asking for baby stuff, I dont know!)

I'm not sure when baby showers happen, but I will not be at all surprised if the baby shower registry is as shameless as the wedding registry. At the risk of sounding like a crotchety old Donald Trump Republican, get a damn job, you lazy kids!

[quote="Alexa"

I have thought this all along. Now, just for a minute, suspend your disgust with the patriarchal set up the Duggar's follow. JB is a pretty piss poor patriarch if the best he could do for a very pretty and semi-celebrity/fundie royalty daughter is Ben Seewald. I have not understood that match up from the beginning, in terms of a patriarchal point of view. I think that JB should have been able wrangle up a much more promising candidate for Jessa. Other than decent looks, and I will admit, a nice physique, Ben doesn't really bring much to the table. He doesn't come from wealth, He is not a natural on film and his attempt to do interviews etc, just really show how much he is out of his league. He isn't particularly clever, or witty. Well he might be off camera, but he seems to lack the ability to translate much warmth, intelligence, logic on screen. Sometimes he seems to even struggle with the basics of speaking his native tongue.

Taking Ben on, as an immature, rather unformed young man might have been very appealing to JB.

It is sad, because objectively Ben has enough intelligence to have done well in college. Chances are if he had been allowed a more normal late adolescence and early young adulthood, he would have eventually grown out of his douchey ways.

First I love this post ! :worship:

I also think he doesn't translate well on screen or even on video if you watch those awful videos' of his - he comes across as someone who just daunting and just has no clue on how to articulate himself that or he tries to hard and just comes across as smug (oh dear - I used the word :D) - although in some of the talking heads - they do have chemistry - but when they were just on in scenes - Jessa did always the talking and he just stood there not smirking but using that face expression I never liked - it always appeared like he had no clue - but the talking heads were always the ones that made me laugh and I did see the chemistry they had in those.

As for Jessa - you could see from the beginning she wanted him - I think she admires and liked what he was about - who knows - I also think JB allowed men that he could control - he must have known that Derick was going to grift and Ben hiring him and having to support him was a major contributing factor to oking the marriage.

Right, how many now that the TLC gravy train is over? There's no money or no fame to gain by marrying into the family and that's been the appeal for people like the Kellers and Seewalds. It's not clear about the timeline, but Marjorie Jackson disappeared around the time the show was cancelled. So anyone in it for money and fame are no longer going to be interested. And there's bound to be families (or Daddies) who will not touch the family with a ten foot pole because of the scandals, money or no. If JB has been a PITA to deal with as far as other potential suitors, you can be sure that word has gotten around. As noted, none of the Duggar kids have married into any fundie royalty and I think that tells you something.

The thing with the people the Duggar kids end up marrying is--there are very few genuinely decent, good, non-creepy even by fundie standards people who would want to marry into a family where they'd have to make their lives tv fodder. Even if the Duggars were very well regarded among their set, generally speaking the type of people who would sign up for the horse and pony show are not the type of people parents would want for their children. So I don't think it's an issue of Jim Bob wanting sons-in-law he can control, per se. It's that the majority of willing manboys who don't seem easily controlled are probably very problematic. Say what you will about Jim Bob and his beliefs, but I think he truly wants his children to be happy (within his framework, of course) and wouldn't be a ok with a potentially abusive asshole for any of his daughters. So once the creeps are weeded out by Jim Bob, the girls have to like the ones that are left, which means the pool of potential husbands is even tinier. Jessa didn't seem all that into Ben in the beginning, but considering how she said in the past that the only men who contact Jim Bob are "the weird ones," he was probably the only one to date who wasn't weird and that she found attractive.

I think JB's hubris also accounted for the choice in suitors. Derick and Ben are very much like junoir JBs. They already have the grifting thing going for them. JB certainly sees himself as a charismatic leader and entrepreneur and up until recently he kinda had a good thing going for him. Ben definitely sees himself that way as well, despite having the personality and charisma of a wet sock. Derick seemed normal at first, but it takes a special kind of narcissist to quit a good job and take your wife and infant child to another country thinking you, of all people, can convert people. I am sure if a hard-working, humble fundie boy came over, JB would send him away.

I also want to comment on the Jessa birthday video. I know it was discussed a while back, but I was thinking about how similar Jessa and Michelle are. I always thought they were similar and closest (remember how Jessa took Michelle skydiving with her). Jessa may not keep sweet or do the fundie baby voice, but she and Michelle share all the same personality traits: they are lazy and self important. I can definitely see Jessa being the same kind of mom that Michelle was minus the high voice.

She really could have done much better with a more mature guy. I'm sure she's praying that Ben will become successful one day.

By the time they have four or five kids they won't fit into Grandma Mary's house any more.

What then.

Then the tabloids can bring back the Jill/Jessa feud and say they are fighting over the mansion :lol:

Then the tabloids can bring back the Jill/Jessa feud and say they are fighting over the mansion :lol:

The Dullards have cleared out of the mansion. They moved the last of their things out when they came back for the 1000 time from their oh-so-important mission trip.

I think Jessa chose Ben and wouldn't be deterred from that choice. Jim Bob (a) saw he could probably control Ben, and (b) wasn't over-invested in WHO Jessa married, because she's not a particular favourite of his.

As to why Jessa chose Ben? Simple. The smell.

Bear with me for a minute on this.

When I met my ex, I thought he was cute and very, very funny. But I was in a relationship where I was happy and I wasn't junking it for anyone, even if the cute and funny factor was high. I saw quite a bit of him because we had mutual friends but I wasn't going there.

I hadn't touched him at any point, it just hadn't happened, there wasn't any reason to. Then one day he leaned in past me, quite close, just as I breathed in and I smelt him.

And oh sweet Jesus, that was it. My toes curled, my stomach flipped and i couldn't ever look at him again without feeling it.

So I dumped the boyfriend, started a relationship and had the best ten years of my life and I'll never regret a second of it. We had the purest of sexual chemistry, I've never experienced anything like it.

So that's my take on the Seewalds. Maybe Jessa smelt Ben when he came stalking at their church? Just a thought....

The Dullards have cleared out of the mansion. They moved the last of their things out when they came back for the 1000 time from their oh-so-important mission trip.

One of jessa's baby bump photos looked to my like she was in the Dillard's mansion. The counter was the same, and the trim. Though could have been the big house I guess, I don't remember what the granite looked liked in there.

By the time they have four or five kids they won't fit into Grandma Mary's house any more.

What then.

An addition to the home with labor supplied by Duggar Construction and Duggar family members. I am surprised they haven't already broken ground.

Archived