IGNORED

Josie had seizure for 15 mins before EMT arrive- People Mag

quiversR4hunting

They were out of the country during her first known seizure. I had a child with a very severe seizure disorder, ( Dravets Syndrome) he never had a seizure as serious as Josie did until the day he died. I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but he had hundreds of seizures and never turned blue nor had trouble breathing prior to his last "glitch".

I don't think they get it.

Wow. Thanks for sharing.

I guess if Josie does die (knock wood she doesn't), they would see it as their god's will anyway and be at peace with it?

And then, of course, have another huge funeral for tv.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took a quick peek at the Duggar Aviation thread and JD flew to Romeoville, Illinois, 18 miles from Oak Brook, on Sep 12. There was a flight to Rockford on October 30. Aaaaand I need to bone up on my geography; Rockford isn't particurlarly close to Chicago or Oak Brook; 100 miles. If you had traveled across country for a meeting in Rockford, would you tell folks you'd been to Chicago to keep it simple? I don't know. I doubt the leaves were still green on October 30, anyway.

I just watched the video, I'm behind, and yes Jana was very panicky. I was a volunteer too and even though I knew 99% of the people who we responded to I was almost robotic during the call. Until the day I had to call 911 for someone in my house and then all that training, years more than Jana, went right out the door. The officer that responded was in shock, he'd seen me deal with much worse and never lost my composure. It's completely different when it's someone that you love.

I feel so sorry for Jana. Jana is the one responsible for basically anything if JB is out of the house. Jana is like Josie's mother, heck, she probably has shown more affection to her buddies (including Josie) than Michelle ever showed to her. I'd be surprised if she wasn't freaking out over her sister seizing.

If prince charming is out there, I hope he'll cross Jana's way.

They were out of the country during her first known seizure. I had a child with a very severe seizure disorder, ( Dravets Syndrome) he never had a seizure as serious as Josie did until the day he died. I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but he had hundreds of seizures and never turned blue nor had trouble breathing prior to his last "glitch".

I don't think they get it.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

And I agree that they don't seem to get it at all. Did I hear one of the EMTs mention vomit in her mouth? She could have aspirated that, and she apparently already had a fever, indicating some underlying illness/infection. I think they see it as similar to her milk allergy, something the doctors made a big deal about, but they can totally handle and kind of ignore (except when she has an incredible seizure or blowout). I would NOT feel comfortable leaving JB or J'Mullet in charge of that young child.

ETA: Thank goodness for Jana and James!

I am so very sorry for your loss.

And I agree that they don't seem to get it at all. Did I hear one of the EMTs mention vomit in her mouth? She could have aspirated that, and she apparently already had a fever, indicating some underlying illness/infection. I think they see it as similar to her milk allergy, something the doctors made a big deal about, but they can totally handle and kind of ignore (except when she has an incredible seizure or blowout). I would NOT feel comfortable leaving JB or J'Mullet in charge of that young child.

ETA: Thank goodness for Jana and James!

It's already been shown on the show that they do have special no dairy options for her (I remember a few years ago, there was a whole to do over how one of the younger girls was telling Josie she couldn't have an ice cream because she was out of hers and she couldn't have the other kind). Also, milk allergies as a toddler don't necessarily mean milk allergies for life. A friend of mine had two daughters with milk allergies who were tested yearly. The older one out grew hers at 11 and the younger one out grew hers at 6.

Plus, do we know for certain it's an allergy and not an intolerance? Most people don't know the difference. But an intolerance in babies and toddlers without its presence later in childhood is fairly common.

I always thought it was intolerance, not an allergy. Her reactions are digestive, from the intestinal blockage and rupture in the NICU to the blowout as a toddler. That indicates intolerance, as opposed to an allergic reaction with swelling, itching, hives, and possibly anaphylaxis.

My take on her seizures: Febrile seizures in and of themselves are not dangerous, unless one lasts for a while. I think the medicine they used is a topical temazepam, a mild tranq/anti-depressant/sleep agent, prescribed for pediatric febrile seizures.

My concern would not be the seizure itself, but its duration.

It's already been shown on the show that they do have special no dairy options for her (I remember a few years ago, there was a whole to do over how one of the younger girls was telling Josie she couldn't have an ice cream because she was out of hers and she couldn't have the other kind). Also, milk allergies as a toddler don't necessarily mean milk allergies for life. A friend of mine had two daughters with milk allergies who were tested yearly. The older one out grew hers at 11 and the younger one out grew hers at 6.

Plus, do we know for certain it's an allergy and not an intolerance? Most people don't know the difference. But an intolerance in babies and toddlers without its presence later in childhood is fairly common.

But we've also heard Michelle saying that she just tries to steer Josie away from dairy products. They've also shown her consuming dairy products with the rest of the kids more recently. I know that some allergies and intolerances can be outgrown, but given the recent (and publicized -- why?) blowout, I'm inclined to think that she is NOT out of the woods on that front. This leads me to believe that her parents are not noticing her special needs and requirements, nor treating her with the care she needs.

I did not watch.

Me neither. I don't have the channel and my mother refuses to pvr IT for me because "it's a stupid show." I don't think I could watch Josie or any of the kids this way anyway.

I always thought it was intolerance, not an allergy. Her reactions are digestive, from the intestinal blockage and rupture in the NICU to the blowout as a toddler. That indicates intolerance, as opposed to an allergic reaction with swelling, itching, hives, and possibly anaphylaxis.

Milk allergies, at least the ones I've witnessed, don't always have the same anaphylactic reaction as other allergies. Many times, the symptoms of a milk allergy resemble autism because it affects the brain.

But we've also heard Michelle saying that she just tries to steer Josie away from dairy products. They've also shown her consuming dairy products with the rest of the kids more recently. I know that some allergies and intolerances can be outgrown, but given the recent (and publicized -- why?) blowout, I'm inclined to think that she is NOT out of the woods on that front. This leads me to believe that her parents are not noticing her special needs and requirements, nor treating her with the care she needs.

Intolerances come at varying degrees. I'm slightly intolerant -- I can eat dairy products without worry until I eat too many dairy products in one day, then I get sick -- but my sister can only have 1 serving of dairy a day before her intolerance becomes an issue. It could be that Josie's intolerance is mild, and she just had too many dairy servings.

My mother has a dairy allergy. It's very strange to see. Her skin turn red and peel, along with having digestive symptoms. Just a glass of milk with make her sick for weeks. It also makes her hair fall out. She was not diagnosed until she was 20, so as a child she was just incrediby tiny and sickly with very thin hair. Kind of like Josie, sans premature birth

My cousin is lactose intolerant, but can handle some dairy if she takes Imodium. I'm not sure if the stuff can be used on children, but if so its not too far fetched the Duggars would get it for her.

My cousin is lactose intolerant, but can handle some dairy if she takes Imodium. I'm not sure if the stuff can be used on children, but if so its not too far fetched the Duggars would get it for her.

Imodium is probably not the best choice since it just stops diarrhea. Maybe lactaid or something would be a better choice. My 16 y/o son is lactose intolerant but old enough to know better. Sometimes he just wants milk products and determines it's worth suffering. I always got the impression Josie was really lactose intolerant as opposed to an actual milk allergy but I guess she could have a real allergy to it. It just seemed like gastrointestinal upset was the only real issue.

My son is milk/soy protein intolerant and to a pretty big degree it seems for him to "build up" his diagnosis came after being hospitalized for dehydration due to acute allergic enterocolitis with up to 20 stools in a day at 3 months old. It can be pretty darn serious.

I really hope they take it seriously, we did reintroduce milk based formula for a few weeks and could see how much pain it caused and went completely milk/soy free.

Most babies outgrow milk/soy protein intolerance by 6 months but it seems like it goes on longer for smaller babies, preemies and ones with reflux. My son was all 3 and I wouldn't be shocked if Josie had reflux it's very common in micropreemies.

Milk allergies, at least the ones I've witnessed, don't always have the same anaphylactic reaction as other allergies. Many times, the symptoms of a milk allergy resemble autism because it affects the brain.

What? I have never heard of milk allergies causing brains dysfunction. They symptoms may include rashes and hives but are usually digestive. Milk causes anaphylaxis but less often than other food allergies.

Do you have a link that talks about milk allergy causing symptoms similar to autism?

Imodium is probably not the best choice since it just stops diarrhea. Maybe lactaid or something would be a better choice. My 16 y/o son is lactose intolerant but old enough to know better. Sometimes he just wants milk products and determines it's worth suffering. I always got the impression Josie was really lactose intolerant as opposed to an actual milk allergy but I guess she could have a real allergy to it. It just seemed like gastrointestinal upset was the only real issue.

Pretty much everyone I know with lactose intolerance says the same thing about it sometimes being worth the suffering. I was pretty sure Josie's situation was lactose intolerance and not an anaphylactic-type allergy.

Pretty much everyone I know with lactose intolerance says the same thing about it sometimes being worth the suffering. I was pretty sure Josie's situation was lactose intolerance and not an anaphylactic-type allergy.

I am lactose intolerant too and in addition to the above, there is a certain amount of lactose I am able to tolerate -- e.g. If if want ice cream I can usually have it as long as either its a small amount, or I want it badly enough to deal with the consequences. Also, not all dairy actually has an appreciable amount of lactose in it. Most cheese and yogurt in particular has very little lactose because of the culturing process used to make it. The primary offenders in terms of actual lactose content in my experience are milk (obviously), ice cream (because it's usually had milk added to it) and cheese sauces in things like Mac and cheese (because it's really just cheese flavored powder mixed with milk).

The More You Know ~~~*

What? I have never heard of milk allergies causing brains dysfunction. They symptoms may include rashes and hives but are usually digestive. Milk causes anaphylaxis but less often than other food allergies.

Do you have a link that talks about milk allergy causing symptoms similar to autism?

I don't because the kids weren't my own. But that's what I've been told by the parents of children with that allergy. And, while my cousin was being diagnosed with Autism (he's high functioning autistic), his doctor (a very reputable one through a very reputable office, not one of those naturopaths or whatever) suggested they run a milk allergy test because of the link between the two. He doesn't have a milk allergy, though, so they went forward with diagnosing him. My information is only anecdotal, but I know that I've witnessed one of the kids with that milk allergy after she ate something containing milk and she had a clear mental change for a couple days afterwards. I also know that Livestrong mentions how certain types of milk allergies cause brain fog (I did some quick, half-assed research before posting this), though it doesn't say which kinds.

One of the side effects of my husband Celiac is lactose intolerance. Lactaid works to some extent but caused it's own side effects. So we buy lactose free milk, Great Value from Walmart. It tastes like real milk without the icky side effects. We found almond, soy, and coconut milk too sweet. Breyers also makes lactose free milk which he swears taste like home made ice cream.

Same here. I can tolerate a good amount of dairy before it makes me sick. I can't have too much on one day.

Weirdly, buttermilk makes me almost immediately sick every single time I eat it. It's sad since I love buttermilk biscuits.

Of course :) No children involved, and no brainwashing either.

Maybe sitting by the beach somewhere nice and hot? Or going to a spa? Or even just going to a place she has never been before, staying in a hotel and spending time sightseeing and going out to nice restaurants? Anything as long as it is something she would enjoy, and somewhere that she can relax for a bit.

Hell yes. With only one adult/older teen sibling (for safety/comfort level) and no cameras. NONE. Only pictures they take, approved by them, and maybe a talking head after the fact.

Same here. I can tolerate a good amount of dairy before it makes me sick. I can't have too much on one day.

Weirdly, buttermilk makes me almost immediately sick every single time I eat it. It's sad since I love buttermilk biscuits.

I found this, which might help explain why that is:

Cary Frye replies: What we call old-fashioned, or churned, buttermilk is very different from cultured buttermilk. It is the thin, slightly acidic liquid left over after churning butter from full-cream milk. It is drunk or used in soups and sauces in northern Europe and South Asia but is not available commercially in the United States.

The buttermilk sold in supermarkets here is cultured, created by fermenting pasteurized low-fat or nonfat milk so the milk sugars turn into lactic acid. It is thick and tart, a result of its increased acidity, which keeps the milk protein casein from being soluble and results in clabbering or curdling. (That is why you can make a stand-in for buttermilk by adding a tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a cup of milk, increasing the acidity and curdling the milk.)

maybe she's a cyborg!

Wait, Josie's a cylon???

You read it HERE first, radar!

Are we sure the Tonitown police reports will include an EMS call? I don't think they do. EMS services are covered under HIPAA, including the name and address of the person treated, and the date/time of the call. At most they would be allowed to say the number of calls on any given day.

I'm trying to get data on EMS calls for my dissertation and have to go to some pretty extreme lengths to access it, like basically getting the department to hire me and give me access the information as an employee, create a data set that doesn't include any HIPAA identifiers, and then use that for my research.

It wouldnt be a police report, it would be the actual 911 recording as well as any dispatch logs for EMS. You would not be able to get the EMS report itself, but the call is definitely a public record.

Archived