IGNORED

Josie had seizure for 15 mins before EMT arrive- People Mag

quiversR4hunting

One of the side effects of my husband Celiac is lactose intolerance. Lactaid works to some extent but caused it's own side effects. So we buy lactose free milk, Great Value from Walmart. It tastes like real milk without the icky side effects. We found almond, soy, and coconut milk too sweet. Breyers also makes lactose free milk which he swears taste like home made ice cream.

That might just be your husband, my good friend growing up had Celiac's and it was strictly gluten-free.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That might just be your husband, my good friend growing up had Celiac's and it was strictly gluten-free.

Celiac here!

It's not technically lactose intolerance. At least not in the way that you think of it. It's a secondary condition to your intestines being so damaged from celiac disease, resulting in difficulty digesting dairy.

When Josie wasn't breathing, and Jana was pleading "please breathe", why didn't Jana breathe for her or blow on her face to try to get her to breathe?

Or was the correct procedure just to keep Josie's airway open and simply watch?

Asking sincerely.

Aside from my question, I found it interesting that Jana didn't appeal to Jesus during this crisis, nor did she mention anything religious in her talking head. Why?

When Josie wasn't breathing, and Jana was pleading "please breathe", why didn't Jana breathe for her or blow on her face to try to get her to breathe?

Asking sincerely.

Aside from my question, I found it interesting that Jana didn't appeal to Jesus during this crisis, nor did she mention anything religious in her talking head. Why?

I think Josie was still breathing, just perhaps shallowly, which resulted in her bluish colour. I imagine that was her way of pleading with Josie to keep breathing until help got there. At least that's how I took it, anyway

However, can anyone explain to me why Jana had her head over the sink? It seems like it would be uncomfortable for Josie to have her head supported that way. Why not have her head resting on the counter?

Jana said she was breathing when GM asked her. She said "she just took a breath." You don't ever breathe for anyone who can breath on their own. As for blowing in her face, I've been taught that was an old wives tale and doesn't actually do anything. And, if it were to work according to the wives tale, it would have to be an infant. Josie isn't an infant.

Hell yes. With only one adult/older teen sibling (for safety/comfort level) and no cameras. NONE. Only pictures they take, approved by them, and maybe a talking head after the fact.

Jana and Joy? Maybe Grandma Mary if she wants someone older?

Celiac here!

It's not technically lactose intolerance. At least not in the way that you think of it. It's a secondary condition to your intestines being so damaged from celiac disease, resulting in difficulty digesting dairy.

From the research I've read and I'll attempt my best to put it into layman's terms. Half the time my husband looks at me and goes "I don't care what paper you just read or why I just know I can't." lol Due to the intestines being goofed up the body stops making certain enzymes and that makes it hard to digest certain foods that are gluten-free but require those enzymes. Some people are lucky and their bodies start producing the enzymes again or if your my husband they never come back. Eggs can be an issue too.

I think she was trying to keep her airway open similar to how you would tilt the head when starting CPR.

Asking sincerely.

I remember being told to avoid mouth-to-mouth when possible, due to the risk of disease transmission (a few of my friends attempted mouth-to-mouth on an injured hiker when we went mountain climbing in China, and all of them had to be tested for TB afterward, since we were in a TB-endemic area and there was no way of knowing if the hiker, who sadly died, had it or not), and laypeople rarely if ever do it correctly. It's better to use a portable plastic mask, or keep the airway open and wait for EMTs to arrive. Though I also read that rescue breathing should be done on unresponsive children.

I remember being told to avoid mouth-to-mouth when possible, due to the risk of disease transmission (a few of my friends attempted mouth-to-mouth on an injured hiker when we went mountain climbing in China, and all of them had to be tested for TB afterward, since we were in a TB-endemic area and there was no way of knowing if the hiker, who sadly died, had it or not), and laypeople rarely if ever do it correctly. It's better to use a portable plastic mask, or keep the airway open and wait for EMTs to arrive. Though I also read that rescue breathing should be done on unresponsive children.

Unresponsive doesn't apply to seizures during the seizure.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/script/m ... 413&page=3

We are talking about family members. If either had any disease they would know it. It's not the same as doing it on a stranger. Also Jana has to have had CPR training since, until the supervising midwife lost her license, she had an apprentice midwife license and Arkansas requires CPR for that.

Please don't wait until EMTs arrive if someone is in need of CPR. The minutes that pass can mean life or death. Everyone should learn CPR or at least how to do chest compressions to keep blood flowing through the body. It's scary to do it but you might save someone's life. At least attempting to do it is better than letting someone die while waiting on EMTs.

As a critical care RN, I have to say, I give Jana some respect for what she did. I think she handled it well, she almost broke a time or two but it is twice as scary when you are caring for a blood relative then it is when it is someone you don't know well. I think she handled it well and she repeatedly checked to make sure Josie was breathing. But boy she really looked relieved when EMS showed up, but who wouldn't be? In a situation such as a seizure (or any life threatening emergency) the first rule is to maintain a patent airway and to make sure they are breathing and Jana did that.. So my nursing cap is off to Jana. I still have to say, I think Jana would make a great nurse and I'm kind of upset that she will never have that opportunity to pursue a career in nursing.. she's a natural and I think she would find it to be a very fulfilling career. It's a shame she will never really be able to get a formal education. I think JB and J'chelle are doing a big disservice to the girl. I could see Jana as a great L&D nurse someday.

I thought that JD was the one to carry Josie to the ambulance but it did not look like him in the show like it did in the preview for show. Where was JD?

No reason Jana would be afraid of catching a disease from Josie.

Did she check if Josie's heart was beating? If it was then she shouldn't have done chest compressions, right? (It doesn't look like she did.)

I'd really like to know what should be done if a person is seizing and barely breathing.

No reason Jana would be afraid of catching a disease from Josie.

Did she check if Josie's heart was beating? If it was then she shouldn't have done chest compressions, right? (It doesn't look like she did.)

I'd really like to know what should be done if a person is seizing and barely breathing.

If you ever encounter anyone who is seizing the first thing to do is to provide for their safety. Once you have things moved out of the way, just make sure they are breathing, check their pulse.. keep your hands away from their mouth while they are seizing(Never stick anything in their mouth, esp your fingers). Normally, seizures don't last as long as Josie's did. Once they stop seizing turn them on their side (in case they vomit) and continue to monitor their breathing and pulse until help arrives.

It's already been shown on the show that they do have special no dairy options for her (I remember a few years ago, there was a whole to do over how one of the younger girls was telling Josie she couldn't have an ice cream because she was out of hers and she couldn't have the other kind). Also, milk allergies as a toddler don't necessarily mean milk allergies for life. A friend of mine had two daughters with milk allergies who were tested yearly. The older one out grew hers at 11 and the younger one out grew hers at 6.

Plus, do we know for certain it's an allergy and not an intolerance? Most people don't know the difference. But an intolerance in babies and toddlers without its presence later in childhood is fairly common.

They said she gets seizures when she has a fever, and that she will suddenly get a fever out of nowhere. That sounds super off to me. Is having sudden random fevers another type of condition, or is it a sign of them neglecting Josie because they can't pay enough attention to her well being and miss other symptoms that might lead to a fever?

They said she gets seizures when she has a fever, and that she will suddenly get a fever out of nowhere. That sounds super off to me. Is having sudden random fevers another type of condition, or is it a sign of them neglecting Josie because they can't pay enough attention to her well being and miss other symptoms that might lead to a fever?

It's not off at all. Even kids who don't have febrile seizures have sudden spikes in temperatures. Young children have a hard time regulating their temperatures, especially when they're fighting some kind of infection. And, often, fevers are among the first symptoms of an infection. So, it's really not that hard to imagine that a seemingly fine child can have a seizure from a fever spoke.

If you ever encounter anyone who is seizing the first thing to do is to provide for their safety. Once you have things moved out of the way, just make sure they are breathing, check their pulse.. keep your hands away from their mouth while they are seizing(Never stick anything in their mouth, esp your fingers). Normally, seizures don't last as long as Josie's did. Once they stop seizing turn them on their side (in case they vomit) and continue to monitor their breathing and pulse until help arrives.

Bless this post.

Also, I'm sure it was mentioned upthread, but I was taught that if a seizure lasts longer than 5 minutes to call 911.

Although with my limited knowledge I've known some who have had seizures regularly that also had specific instructions relevant only to them in addition to standard protocol.

Still cannot believe that Josie's parents did not immediately return to Arkansas upon receiving the news of Josie's illness.

Josie's health was not their TOP priority. Assholes.

I don't think Michelle indicated that Josie just gets random fever spikes a lot. I am pretty sure she meant if she is or is getting sick. That's pretty normal. My 4 y/o and I both have some kind of cold/respiratory garbage right now. I feel miserable but have had little to no fever. He, on the other hand, has been bouncing between warm and a fairly high temp. Thankfully he doesn't have febrile seizures or I guarantee he would have during this current illness.

I know the Duggar parents suck. They suck about as bad as a parent could. However, trying to act like normal things that can happen with any young child are oh so horrific just because it's them doesn't make sense. Kids get sick and even the most attentive parent might not realize until it's too late that their child is going to have a fever spike.

I don't think Michelle indicated that Josie just gets random fever spikes a lot. I am pretty sure she meant if she is or is getting sick. That's pretty normal. My 4 y/o and I both have some kind of cold/respiratory garbage right now. I feel miserable but have had little to no fever. He, on the other hand, has been bouncing between warm and a fairly high temp. Thankfully he doesn't have febrile seizures or I guarantee he would have during this current illness.

I know the Duggar parents suck. They suck about as bad as a parent could. However, trying to act like normal things that can happen with any young child are oh so horrific just because it's them doesn't make sense. Kids get sick and even the most attentive parent might not realize until it's too late that their child is going to have a fever spike.

I wasn't trying to demonize them. I was asking because I don't know fuck all about kids so idk how common it is for them to have fevers.

It's not off at all. Even kids who don't have febrile seizures have sudden spikes in temperatures. Young children have a hard time regulating their temperatures, especially when they're fighting some kind of infection. And, often, fevers are among the first symptoms of an infection. So, it's really not that hard to imagine that a seemingly fine child can have a seizure from a fever spoke.

This.

My oldest had a febrile seizure, and he went from playing fine one minute, to flat out on the floor with a temp over 103 the next. When the seizure was finished, he puked all over me and then passed out. We rushed to the ER, but everything was fine by the time we got there. The only symptom remaining was his fever. The Dr said the chain of events, and how quickly everything happened was completely normal. There were no lasting effects of the seizure, and thankfully he never had another one.

As a critical care RN, I have to say, I give Jana some respect for what she did. I think she handled it well, she almost broke a time or two but it is twice as scary when you are caring for a blood relative then it is when it is someone you don't know well. I think she handled it well and she repeatedly checked to make sure Josie was breathing. But boy she really looked relieved when EMS showed up, but who wouldn't be? In a situation such as a seizure (or any life threatening emergency) the first rule is to maintain a patent airway and to make sure they are breathing and Jana did that.. So my nursing cap is off to Jana. I still have to say, I think Jana would make a great nurse and I'm kind of upset that she will never have that opportunity to pursue a career in nursing.. she's a natural and I think she would find it to be a very fulfilling career. It's a shame she will never really be able to get a formal education. I think JB and J'chelle are doing a big disservice to the girl. I could see Jana as a great L&D nurse someday.

I thought that JD was the one to carry Josie to the ambulance but it did not look like him in the show like it did in the preview for show. Where was JD?

IF we have our timeline right JD was out of town at the time.

I agree Jana did a great job dealing with the situation. I'm sure she crashed after it was over though.

Count me in the camp of those wondering why Jana continued to let Josie's head hang over the sink.

Archived