IGNORED

Josie had seizure for 15 mins before EMT arrive- People Mag

quiversR4hunting

Raising hand :hand: I don't know how you all do it, I can't even stand the commercials for 19 KAC. I've never watched an episode. If it's not Michelle's grating voice, it's the blatant bogus happy family crap and faux drama that turns me off. Just knowing what their views are on any subject turns my stomach during commercials. My hats off to you who can, and do watch, and report here on what goes in crazytown for me!

I haven't watched this season. I just follow the recap here. I did see the sz on Youtube.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Raise your hand if you didn't watch the episode?

Yeah, I watched it, too.

Raising hand. Couldn't do it but thoroughly enjoyed the recaps.

In addition to the exploitation of Josie and Jana it's also disgusting that they promoted the shit out of Josie's seizure (for weeks) and then saved it for the last three minutes of the show so that viewers would stay tuned! Removed any doubt that it was aired purely for ratings.

True. This is her normal.

I agree. I think the onus was on the TLC editors who decided to put it up anyway, and create an environment where the film crew feels they need to film it anyway because it might be on the show, instead of taking the high ground and turning off their cameras.

And to that point, I don't mind that they blurred it. I thought it was weird, but given how the Duggars feel and the fact that it was more than anyone would care to have on national TV, it was a good decision (to my mind) in the middle of a very, very poor one.

I agree with those who are stating that this should not have been shown on national television as it was. At least she should have been completely covered while lying there covered with all those wires. You could see her chest. I would not want to look back on that as a memory of my childhood.

Showing her chest is the least of the problems. Exploiting her for money in a situation like this is a huge one. Since you are one of their fans, how far do the Duggars have to go when it comes to child exploitation for you to stop liking them? I can't figure out what it is about this family that will make people still like them after they sell their children's most vulnerable moments for profit.

I was thinking that I bet that the Duggars when they first started the show never thought they would end up the type of people who would do this to their children.

Showing her chest is the least of the problems. Exploiting her for money in a situation like this is a huge one. Since you are one of their fans, how far do the Duggars have to go when it comes to child exploitation for you to stop liking them? I can't figure out what it is about this family that will make people still like them after they sell their children's most vulnerable moments for profit.

I was thinking that I bet that the Duggars when they first started the show never thought they would end up the type of people who would do this to their children.

I agree with formergothardite. I would genuinely love to know how far is too far for those who love the Duggars.

And if anyone here is reading this and continues watching, you are part of the problem. I am going to assume you think it's fine that was on national TV (and you can bet that's what TLC is thinking), and therefore you are why TLC won't take this show off air.

Kinda feel bad for watching the clip. Jana seemed so upset unlike Michelle who was very dettached from the whole situation... Praise the Lord for Mom Jana!

I agree with formergothardite. I would genuinely love to know how far is too far for those who love the Duggars.

And if anyone here is reading this and continues watching, you are part of the problem. I am going to assume you think it's fine that was on national TV (and you can bet that's what TLC is thinking), and therefore you are why TLC won't take this show off air.

What is especially strange is that some of their biggest fans are conservative Christians who claim to value children. How can they not see the hypocrisy in claiming children are a blessing while applauding a family that basically sells their children's stressful and painful moments as entertainment. How poorly can children be treated before they start taking a stand?

If people will watch Josie in a situation like that without protesting, well TLC is going to just push to show more and more invasive moments.

For all the talk about Josie being a miracle, I would've thought that JB and Michelle would have gotten back home on the first flight available to be with Josie. Any other child, I could see them not feeling an urgency to get home. But I am surprised they didn't with Josie.

Josie looked so worn out and confused when they brought her home. And I felt so bad for Joy when she was tearing up about being happy Josie was home. This whole situation was awful. And I get that the parents were gone, and it was just an unfortunate coincidence it had to happen without them there. But they really could've gotten on a plane and gone home to comfort their children. They all were shaken up, understandably.

I did not see the episode but agree that filming and broadcasting a child's vulnerable moment is terrible.

I also find it amazing that M & JB did not jump on a plane and come right home.

However, I put the blame for that squarely on JB's shoulders. There is so much criticism of Michelle that I think we forget that she lives and dies by the rules of headship and submission.

It was JB's decision whether to stay or go. It was Michelle's job to submit. This is what she "preaches" at all those teas she goes to.

So many people say that "Michelle wears the pants in the family" (though I'm not sure what's wrong with that). Whether she has a lot of influence with JB or not, I think they would both agree that he makes the final decisions about big matters.

Where were they, anyway? At some speaking engagement, I would imagine. Perhaps they were being paid $10,000 or so to speak. Maybe JB had already mentally spent that money, he was counting on it for something. Or maybe he just wanted the money.

Personally, I think JB has some sort of mental illness about money. Only someone with a real issue about money would make so many decisions that are destructive to his family just to make cash.

The same thing happened when 11-year old Jason hurt himself badly and the family went on with their speaking engagements. That picture of young Jason sitting in a wheelchair (I think he was in a wheelchair) outside the state, with his jaw all wired up, really broke my heart. Of course that young boy would rather have been home in his own bed. Of course they continued on with the show because of the money.

After that, I lost interest in watching the Duggars and really haven't seen a show again. But I put the blame entirely on the headship, JB.

Raising hand. Couldn't do it but thoroughly enjoyed the recaps.

In addition to the exploitation of Josie and Jana it's also disgusting that they promoted the shit out of Josie's seizure (for weeks) and then saved it for the last three minutes of the show so that viewers would stay tuned! Removed any doubt that it was aired purely for ratings.

AND there was no additional content that I could tell. Same video footage, but they promoted it at every single commercial break that I could tell, all night long, until the end of the program.

It seemed like they glossed over the whole incident given the amount of time they spent previewing it. I also found it a little strange that they felt the need to blur out her shorts but left her chest naked in the next scene. I do understand that a child's chest is undeveloped and not at all sexual, but neither are her shorts.

I felt so bad for Jana and Grandma in last night's episode!! Even Joy and Jessa seemed more concerned than the supposed parents!

I was so glad that they called 911, got immediate help and at least Jana and Grandma were there for her. The director Scott running in there like that was scarey

I did not see the episode but agree that filming and broadcasting a child's vulnerable moment is terrible.

I also find it amazing that M & JB did not jump on a plane and come right home.

However, I put the blame for that squarely on JB's shoulders. There is so much criticism of Michelle that I think we forget that she lives and dies by the rules of headship and submission.

It was JB's decision whether to stay or go. It was Michelle's job to submit. This is what she "preaches" at all those teas she goes to.

So many people say that "Michelle wears the pants in the family" (though I'm not sure what's wrong with that). Whether she has a lot of influence with JB or not, I think they would both agree that he makes the final decisions about big matters.

Where were they, anyway? At some speaking engagement, I would imagine. Perhaps they were being paid $10,000 or so to speak. Maybe JB had already mentally spent that money, he was counting on it for something. Or maybe he just wanted the money.

Personally, I think JB has some sort of mental illness about money. Only someone with a real issue about money would make so many decisions that are destructive to his family just to make cash.

The same thing happened when 11-year old Jason hurt himself badly and the family went on with their speaking engagements. That picture of young Jason sitting in a wheelchair (I think he was in a wheelchair) outside the state, with his jaw all wired up, really broke my heart. Of course that young boy would rather have been home in his own bed. Of course they continued on with the show because of the money.

After that, I lost interest in watching the Duggars and really haven't seen a show again. But I put the blame entirely on the headship, JB.

But just as everyone seems to think that Josh, as an adult, should be able to toss away years of brain washing and go against everything he has learned his entire life, same should go for Michelle. Headship be damned. This is her child. I don't care if the man had a gun to her head (which we know he didn't) she is still 100% responsible for the choices she makes regarding her children. She doesn't get a pass just because she CHOSE to have a headship years ago.

I feel like Michelle, Jim Bob, the TLC producers and all the people who tuned in to watch share blame. Michelle and Jim Bob should have valued their child enough that they would not allow that to be taped and aired for entertainment. The TLC producers should have realized that it is wrong to tape a child in a situation like that. And all the people who tuned in to watch and who will continue watching the show, because if no one would watch this child's medical emergency being exploited then it would have never been aired to begin with. They filmed and aired it because they knew it would attract viewers.

I think that she must have had some serious seizure(s) in the past. I feel certain that her pants were removed to administer the Diastat. This medicine requires some training to make sure it is done safely. The older girls are surely trained. By the time 5 minutes had passed and they administered the dose, they probably left the pants off to see if another would be necessary. I doubt anyone was concerned about her modesty. It is very odd that with that level of emotion and panic (clearly Grandma and Jana were in panic mode) that someone thought it appropriate to start filming this?

My guess is that everything they do, including exploiting a child's illness, is done for ratings. The Duggars have evolved into full-blown celebrities and I would bet that Jim Bob checks his ratings at the earliest opportunity. 19 Kids and Counting is a brand now and there is no turning back. They will have to continue to exploit all their children in order to maintain their ratings. Maybe it all started with Jubilee, which was an appalling thing to televise. I expect TLC to have no shame (look at the garbage they air) but it looks like Jim Bob has no shame either. It really saddens me that so many people look up to him.

This episode made me so mad that I was tearing up and shaking. It annoyed me that they were going to have an episode about it in the first place but then I got this crazy idea that maybe Michelle and j.boob was there but they just aren't filmed or they would have an eye opening experience and finally realize that they need to start being parents. Wishful thinking. Instead they put the seizure part in the last 5 minutes to reel everyone in to watch the girls paint and Jill shop. That annoyed me, they exploited Josieto the fullest in this episode. Boob and Michelle were so unaffected by the thought of their daughter almost dying (according to them) and they didn't even rent a car to go be with their poor child. If that was my kid, I would drop what I was doing and would have left as soon as possible, even if it would have been a 10 hour drive, Josie needed them. Poor Jana was not equipped to deal with the situation. She looked so scared that I could almost sense that she was near fainting. The whole thing was outrageous. I was curious to see if the fans on the Duggars official page would say anything about how wrong it was but of course, nothing. Not one of those super parent Duggarites said anything about how J.boob and Michelle handled it and why did they use their daughter so badly for ratings anyway? They can do no wrong I swear.

Did Michelle complain about People having an unblurred version and that's why her legs were blurred in the one that aired? What was the point? Knees are not immodest. Oh who am I kidding, I'm surprised they didn't try to blur her entire damn chest.

This episode irritated me beyond belief. One, that they started filming AFTER she started having a seizure. Two, "glitches" the way Michelle said that word was so uncaring. She made it sound like it was Josie's fault. And they gave zero credit to Jana for handling the situation.

Dumb.

Just read comments on the duggar facebook page from the leghumpers.

These people are seriously delusional!

Stuff like: "Sweet little Josie had the angels of God around her, so everything turned out okay!" and "JimBob and Michelle were praying for their sweet precious blessing from so far away, and it worked! Josie is fine!"

Then one person says: "I don't know about the rest of you, but I would have been on the next flight home"

and she is literally ATTACKED by a swarm of squawking women who tell her that "sweet Jana" and "Sweet Grandma" had everything under control so why are you criticizing them?!?! -escalating to- SO WHY ARE YOU ON THIS PAGE IF ALL YOU DO IS BE MEAN ABOUT THIS WONDERFUL AMAZING INSPIRATIONAL PRECIOUS FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they are fucking insane.

This is one of the many reasons I can't get with patriarchy. Almost single-handedly, who is caring for Josie, directing people to call 911, listening for breath sounds and watching for vomit? Jana. Though she was upset, she was not panicked, she made her sister as safe as possible and most likely administered medication to her. She was the hero that day. But who does JB credit for saving Josie's life, though all he really did was stand there (and make sure the cameras were getting all of this): Scott. :angry-banghead:

I'm not outraged that they showed Josie's seizure, per se. It's just...everything else, the history there, that makes the whole thing really squicky. From birth, Josie's health issue have been paraded in front of the cameras in living color---her NICU stay, her various illnesses since then, including things like diarrhea...it just bothers me. Hell, even if the seizure had started when the cameras were rolling, ok, I'd get that. But someone made the decision to start filming in the middle of her seizure, while Mary was on the phone with 911 and Jana was freaking out because her sister wasn't breathing. I feel so deeply uncomfortable by the whole thing in ways I can't fully articulate. Any one thing would be fine, but building a whole storyline around her health issues year after year feels orders of magnitude more exploitive than if the cameras just happen to catch these thing and Jim Bob/TLC decide to air it.

I'm not outraged that they showed Josie's seizure, per se. It's just...everything else, the history there, that makes the whole thing really squicky. From birth, Josie's health issue have been paraded in front of the cameras in living color---her NICU stay, her various illnesses since then, including things like diarrhea...it just bothers me. Hell, even if the seizure had started when the cameras were rolling, ok, I'd get that. But someone made the decision to start filming in the middle of her seizure, while Mary was on the phone with 911 and Jana was freaking out because her sister wasn't breathing. I feel so deeply uncomfortable by the whole thing in ways I can't fully articulate. Any one thing would be fine, but building a whole storyline around her health issues year after year feels orders of magnitude more exploitive than if the cameras just happen to catch these thing and Jim Bob/TLC decide to air it.

This. And Josie also isn't the first child to suffer from this. It would be nice if they'd cut the exploitative episodes and actually focus their fame on raising awareness about this.

Archived