IGNORED

Josie had seizure for 15 mins before EMT arrive- People Mag

quiversR4hunting

If they show any more trips to or charity events for Children's Hospital, I'm calling it as something is wrong with Josie.

That poor girl will grow up knowing every dirty diaper, accident, and illness will exist for eternity. Fuck you Duggars, TLC, etc.!

Agreed.

Insight into the lives of people who live differently than I do - that can be interesting.

Insight doesn't mean "everything"... especially about a child who can't grant permission for intimate, personal and medical details of her childhood to exist forever online.

Boob and Jchelle: Shame on you. :penguin-no:

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This whole phenomenon of raising children on reality TV is so new - it will be interesting to see what happens as kids that were filmed from infancy start coming of age. It's one thing to have your life filmed from adolescence on - you at least then half the self awareness to modify your behavior when the cameras are on. For kids that were born on camera (often literally), they have a good ten year before they can truly understand that others will watch and judge them based on the show. So far the process of consent has been assumed to fall within the framework used for child labor in the film industry and/or healthcare. There is not framework specifically for reality TV, and since the kids of reality TV generally don't get the protections and benefits afforded to child actors, it could be argued that the threshold for consent needs to be higher. I expect a series of lawsuits, probably started by Cara and Mady Gosslin when they turn 18... Hopefully followed by a few Duggars from Joy on down.

This whole phenomenon of raising children on reality TV is so new - it will be interesting to see what happens as kids that were filmed from infancy start coming of age. It's one thing to have your life filmed from adolescence on - you at least then half the self awareness to modify your behavior when the cameras are on. For kids that were born on camera (often literally), they have a good ten year before they can truly understand that others will watch and judge them based on the show. So far the process of consent has been assumed to fall within the framework used for child labor in the film industry and/or healthcare. There is not framework specifically for reality TV, and since the kids of reality TV generally don't get the protections and benefits afforded to child actors, it could be argued that the threshold for consent needs to be higher. I expect a series of lawsuits, probably started by Cara and Mady Gosslin when they turn 18... Hopefully followed by a few Duggars from Joy on down.

Yep. I also suspect there will be college sociology and psychology courses on what having to live your life on camera does to the developing mind. These kids need every protection: physical, educational, personal and financial in place just like all child actors who are members of SAG.

Speaking of the 2011 event. JD was home and was paged to respond. WTH didn't somebody in the house just wake him up? That made no sense to me. When my husband watched that episode, it didn't make sense to him either. He said he doubts any of them know how to put on a band-aid let alone have any EMS/EMT training.

That's the episode that many use to make the argument that JD doesn't live at home. If he had been in the house proper I'm sure someone would have woken him up. I don't think he was in the house when it happened.

Isn't Miracle Josie about the age when preemie issues being to show up....if said Miracle Child is doing beginning academic work in an environment where professionals might identify potential concerns?

Yep. I also suspect there will be college sociology and psychology courses on what having to live your life on camera does to the developing mind. These kids need every protection: physical, educational, personal and financial in place just like all child actors who are members of SAG.

For all of the above :clap:

Well said.

Well look at Kendall and Kylie Jenner or the girls from dance moms. Time will only tell for the teen mom, real houswives and younger duggar kids. I wish reality tv kids had protection from parents like the Duggars.

Well look at Kendall and Kylie Jenner or the girls from dance moms. Time will only tell for the teen mom, real houswives and younger duggar kids. I wish reality tv kids had protection from parents like the Duggars.

The kids really do need those full protections in place. As an example, I have seen many talk about the kids' schooling, when and if it's actually in the schedule and who is really in charge beyond a computer.

At least Kylie and Kendal work. I think modeling is actually hard work. And Kris is certainly keeping their money safe for the girls, not hoarding it as we think JB does.

Kylie and Kendal were also old enough to at least understand the concept to reality TV and public perception when they first started the show. The point I was trying to make is that the littlest kids don't even have that benefit.

At least Kylie and Kendal work. I think modeling is actually hard work. And Kris is certainly keeping their money safe for the girls, not hoarding it as we think JB does.

Kendall models. Kyle just takes selfies.

This ^^^^^

I didn't find it insensitive or troubling at all that Michelle referred to Josie's tendency toward seizures as a "glitch." I didn't get any sense of disconnect, insensitivity, or callousness in her use of the word. It's a word (just a word), and Michelle did strike me as concerned for her daughter.

I agree that describing a seizure as a brain glitch is pretty accurate and I wasn't concerned about that. What did concern me was Michelle said "it's one of her glitches." This means that she has other problems we haven't seen. And for some reason referring to ALL of her problems as glitches almost makes it sound like she just thinks they're little quirks.

A seizure is a brain glitch, but that isn't always an accurate description of everything so I worry about her nonchalantly grouping them together.

But like I said I find nothing wrong with the term itself. Also we can't make any judgments without knowing what else might be wrong.

Speaking of the 2011 event. JD was home and was paged to respond. WTH didn't somebody in the house just wake him up? That made no sense to me. When my husband watched that episode, it didn't make sense to him either. He said he doubts any of them know how to put on a band-aid let alone have any EMS/EMT training.

That was just flat-out weird. No explanation given, either, by the Duggars. Parents are away. Fragile preemie baby has seizure. Girls call 911. EMT brother sleeping down the hallway notified by 911 to respond. What if Josie had died or suffered irreversible consequences because of the delay? Have the girls been trained not to disturb their all-mighty important brother while he's sleeping? Is he unapproachable? (I don't think I've ever seen him interacting with anyone in his family, ever.) Did the girls simply panic? They never should have had the responsibility in the first place.

I'm watching the behind the scenes episode and this is what Scott Enlow had to say about them airing the time Josie pooped in her pants:

"I do remember, well, I don't know if Josie would want me bringing up again how she pooped her pants and little bits were falling out of the leg of her pants. We put that on TV...of course when she gets to be about 16 she's probably gonna be looking me up going, 'Why did you do that to me?' and it's like, 'Well, why wouldn't I?' You pooped your pants on TV!"

And then he laughed.

I know it's different to air a serious medical situation on TV than something personally mortifying, but this is the perspective the producers are coming from. They don't care if something they air is embarrassing. They just care if it will make good TV. I don't know how old she was when she pooped her pants, but you can't tell me she was old enough to consent to it being filmed or old enough to understand the consequences of it being aired. It's the same with this seizure.

I wonder how much these kids are going to regret as they get older, as everyone has been saying above. Shame on their parents for not negotiating some kind of 'modesty' clause into their children's contracts beyond blurring knees. Do they just not think about it? Or do they believe that being embarrassed about something like this is Shame and to be avoided?

EXPLETIVES there really needs to be some kind of law defending children on TV. Not children playing characters, but children's lives being filmed. They may be too young to consent now, but this footage will still be in existence when they are of age. With the way the internet is these days, it will always be existence. And yet they are not able to consent to something that will be present for their entire lives?

As I sad up thread, my issue wasn't with calling seizures a glitch, my problem was with Michelle saying that seizures were "one of Josie's glitches," which implies that anything "different" about Josie is seen as a "glitch," and that's not a healthy view.

And again, I don't believe there was anything malicious or unhealthy in that statement. It was a word, nothing more. In fact, glitch means "a sudden irregularity", which is exactly what happened to little Josie in terms of having a seizure. I think it's quite a quantum leap suggest that Michelle holds an unhealthy view of her daughter and to conclude that she implied "anything different about Josie" being seen as a glitch. Just too much judgement in that statement, IMO.

EXPLETIVES there really needs to be some kind of law defending children on TV. Not children playing characters, but children's lives being filmed. They may be too young to consent now, but this footage will still be in existence when they are of age. With the way the internet is these days, it will always be existence. And yet they are not able to consent to something that will be present for their entire lives?

The saddest part is that there are extensive laws (in most states at least) protecting children playing characters on TV. Yet there is very little protecting children whose real, live, sensitive childhood incidents are being filmed.

I'm watching the behind the scenes episode and this is what Scott Enlow had to say about them airing the time Josie pooped in her pants:

"I do remember, well, I don't know if Josie would want me bringing up again how she pooped her pants and little bits were falling out of the leg of her pants. We put that on TV...of course when she gets to be about 16 she's probably gonna be looking me up going, 'Why did you do that to me?' and it's like, 'Well, why wouldn't I?' You pooped your pants on TV!"

And then he laughed.

I know it's different to air a serious medical situation on TV than something personally mortifying, but this is the perspective the producers are coming from. They don't care if something they air is embarrassing. They just care if it will make good TV. I don't know how old she was when she pooped her pants, but you can't tell me she was old enough to consent to it being filmed or old enough to understand the consequences of it being aired. It's the same with this seizure.

I wonder how much these kids are going to regret as they get older, as everyone has been saying above. Shame on their parents for not negotiating some kind of 'modesty' clause into their children's contracts beyond blurring knees. Do they just not think about it? Or do they believe that being embarrassed about something like this is Shame and to be avoided?

This is sad. JimChelle sold out

And again, I don't believe there was anything malicious or unhealthy in that statement. It was a word, nothing more. In fact, glitch means "a sudden irregularity", which is exactly what happened to little Josie in terms of having a seizure. I think it's quite a quantum leap suggest that Michelle holds an unhealthy view of her daughter and to conclude that she implied "anything different about Josie" being seen as a glitch. Just too much judgement in that statement, IMO.

Again, Michelle's wording was not just seizures are glitches. She specifically said that it's ONE of her glitches. As in she has more. And, since there's no reason to believe she's has other types of seizures, since they've only talked about her febrile seizures, I don't know anything she could have that constitutes as a "sudden irregularity."

And then he laughed.

I question the whole idea that the poopy pants incident is "interesting TV." How many people watching found that interesting or even watchable? I, for one, turned away in disgust. If that happened in real life (not on TV) right in front of you, would you call that interesting? Funny? Watchable? I imagine most of us would go "ugh" and hope the parent took care of the situation quickly.

Having a tendency towards febrile seizures is different from prolonged seizures. She was having a tonic clonic (*grand mal) seizure that slowed down her respiration rate to the point of an emergency. Most seizures last less than 5 minutes. If the family has Ativan at the house that indicates a history of prolonged seizures.

I don't know if she had or has status epilepicus but she does seem to have prolonged seizures which is quite serious.

*Grand mal is no longer used in neurology, it was replaced by tonic clonic over 20 years ago.

Having a tendency towards febrile seizures is different from prolonged seizures. She was having a tonic clonic (*grand mal) seizure that slowed down her respiration rate to the point of an emergency. Most seizures last less than 5 minutes. If the family has Ativan at the house that indicates a history of prolonged seizures.

I don't know if she had or has status epilepicus but she does seem to have prolonged seizures which is quite serious.

*Grand mal is no longer used in neurology, it was replaced by tonic clonic over 20 years ago.

I don't remember Ativan being mentioned at all...

She is talking about diastat I believe which is basically Ativan given via rectum for a status seizure.

She is talking about diastat I believe which is basically Ativan given via rectum for a status seizure.

But we don't really know that they have/used diastat before EMS arrived. There was speculation about it due to the position of Josie's clothing and blurring on screen, but absolutely no real indication that the Duggars keep diastat on hand.

Archived