IGNORED

Josie had seizure for 15 mins before EMT arrive- People Mag

quiversR4hunting

http://www.people.com/article/tlc-19-ki ... sneek-peek

I have a question for the medical FJers. - What constitutes a long seizure? What kind of damage can happen in seizures?

From the article:

there is also a scary moment with the youngest Duggar: Josie, 5, who was born prematurely. The clip shows that Josie suffered a frightening seizure.

"Josie seized 15 minutes before the paramedics got into the house and then kept seizing the whole way here," Jana, 25, says in the clip as she speaks from a hospital room with her little sister. Viewers will have to tune in to find out the details of her medical situation.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a long time to have a seizure. :pink-shock: But I don't think they mean they waited 15mins before calling - I think they mean that they had to wait for 15 mins until the paramedics arrived to help.

And shock horror - Michelle is nowhere to be seen! It's Jana beside Josie at the hospital in the video, and I think john carries her to the ambulance.

It could've been a febrile seizure like she had before. How scary. What kind of idiots wait 15 mins before seeking medical help?
We don't know if it took 15 minutes for the paramedics to get there. But medical emergencies for the Duggars only seem to involve pregnancy

This just solidifies my hate towards these people. Your child is having a medical emergency...turn the fucking cameras off, and let her have her privacy. Fucking twats...the lot of them.

http://www.people.com/article/tlc-19-kids-counting-new-season-sneek-peek

I have a question for the medical FJers. - What constitutes a long seizure? What kind of damage can happen in seizures?

From the article:

Just wanted to add- I am not dogging the EMT response at all. It would take that much time to get to my house and I live in the country but only 20 minutes from a hospital if all the traffic lights were red. When an ambulance had to come for my grandma (lived way out in the country) it was 30-40 minute response and we thought that was good (seriously- way out in the country).

It could've been a febrile seizure like she had before. How scary. What kind of idiots wait 15 mins before seeking medical help?

So what I read on http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/febr ... izures.htm the seizures usually go away around 5. Would it be different for a micro-preemie like Josie? Or possible more underlying issues from her being a micro-preemie?

That was a weird article. Happy news, happy news, scary and heartbreaking news, happy news. I call bullshit on Jim Bob's shocked face when Jill told family she 'stole' something. Didn't she call from home to give them the news? It was a while ago and don't remember.

I agree with turn the cameras off! The hospital must love this family. Was this a second seizure? Wasn't that seizure a couple of years ago when Michelle and Jim Bob were in South America? I do hope it was only the one, poor little girl has enough issues.

from what i've seen working with records for preemies, seizures are pretty common, febrile or not.

I would guess that the 15 minutes is due to the house being remote of the seizures going away within 5 minutes. Also maybe Michelle was not there due to bring in a different state ( I hope).

"Viewers will have to tune in to find out the details of her medical situation" :roll:

When did this happen? I guess this season is full of surprises :roll:

I read that it lasted for 15 minutes as the EMTs took 15 minutes to get there, not that they waited 15 minutes to get help.

Jill stole one of Michelle's pregnancy kits? Is the woman peeing on a stick every time she uses the bathroom? Talk about desperate!

That is a seriously long seizure, wth? Febrile seizure, hmmmm. Hope she is o.k. And that her docs get to the bottom of it. ETA..should have read article before posting. She seized longer than 15 minutes. That is so serious. Maybe she has developed a seizure disorder due to her being a micro preemie? IDK, Not a doctor.

I was coming here to post the same thing! That is a crazy long seizure. Especially as I'm pretty sure she said she seized all the way to the hospital, too. :-( Poor little Josie. When my doctors prescribe Diastat for prolonged seizures, their normal instructions are for parents to administer it if a seizure doesn't end in 5 minutes.

I was coming here to post the same thing! That is a crazy long seizure. Especially as I'm pretty sure she said she seized all the way to the hospital, too. :-( Poor little Josie. When my doctors prescribe Diastat for prolonged seizures, their normal instructions are for parents to administer it if a seizure doesn't end in 5 minutes.

being a non-medical person I thought it was long too. I read it like you - they called 911, took 15 minutes and she seized all the way to the hospital. I think it would be hard as a parent (or sister mom) to watch and wait for help to arrive- for any medical emergency. I can't image.

I just pulled up mapquest and put in Tontitown, AR (town center) to Northwest Medical Center in Springdale and it is only 5 miles away. So maybe the ride there was 10, minutes? That would be 25 minutes of seizing (give or take some time based on where they actually live). I wonder how many seizures she has had. Poor kid.

Could be a complex febrile seizure (lasting 15 mins or longer) and rarely have lasting effects.

That's good to know.

That's a long time to have a seizure. :pink-shock: But I don't think they mean they waited 15mins before calling - I think they mean that they had to wait for 15 mins until the paramedics arrived to help.

And shock horror - Michelle is nowhere to be seen! It's Jana beside Josie at the hospital in the video, and I think john carries her to the ambulance.

I agree on the delay being getting them there--they've called 911 promptly before. We also don't know how far the EMTs have to travel. In a rural setting that can be longer than you might think. I'll give them credit for responding appropriately--I can't imagine the miracle child having a seizure wouldn't be taken seriously and treated as a REAL emergency.

According to google, a febrile seizure may occur when a child's fever reaches 102 degrees. Given that Josie has had these seizures before, shouldn't they have taken her to the ER? I'm glad that Jana and JD were there, instead of Clown Car.

And as someone upthread posted: What the hell is going on with the tone of that article??? That's just sicko.

I'm beginning to agree with those who have been concerned with Josie's overall condition.

I know Michelle and JB are really sucky parents (understatement of the year? I think so!), but I don't think its fair to judge them for this particular situation quite yet. We don't know why they weren't shown in this specific clip. Maybe, like the last time we know Josie had a seizure, her parents simply weren't at the house at the time and it fell to the elder siblings to take care of things. Whatever the reason, it's too early for me to judge. I give Jana, John, and the other kids who were there credit for doing an excellent job handling what must have been a very scary situation.

Here's hoping Miss Josie is feeling better!

JFC, the Duggars know no shame. "Is Little Baby Josie OK? Will she live or die? TUNE IN TO FIND OUT!"

Some people have relatively minor seizures. Not necessarily any less scary, but probably less dangerous if you aren't losing control over your muscles. I've known people with seizure disorders who are almost "normal" when they are seizing, but something specific (like their speech) will be affected.

15+ minutes of convulsing in an intense febrile seizure would be awful. That poor kid must have felt like she was run over by a truck if that is what happened.

Anyway, regardless of what type of seizure, I hope she is OK and that if these are a side effect of premature birth, that she does outgrow it soon. :( Poor Jana must have been a nervous wreck being the one in charge during a medical emergency.

Also, it'd be nice if Jim Bob and Michelle could pretend they had anything nice to say about Jessa besides her good looks. But they've never really been very convincing liars, so maybe they know to keep it safe and stick with the things people won't question too much...

And on another more positive note - HOW CUTE IS MAC PLAYING THE DRUMS?! Oh my goodness. I don't even really like kids that much and it warmed my cold heart. It would be so amazing if they got her a drum set, but we all know she's going to be on the violin and piano like every other fundie woman.

According to google, a febrile seizure may occur when a child's fever reaches 102 degrees. Given that Josie has had these seizures before, shouldn't they have taken her to the ER? I'm glad that Jana and JD were there, instead of Clown Car.

And as someone upthread posted: What the hell is going on with the tone of that article??? That's just sicko.

I'm beginning to agree with those who have been concerned with Josie's overall condition.

A febrile seizure can happen with any sudden change in body temperature. My friends daughter's temperature was only 99* during one of her seizures. But it was a sudden rise.

JFC, the Duggars know no shame. "Is Little Baby Josie OK? Will she live or die? TUNE IN TO FIND OUT!"

Some people have relatively minor seizures. Not necessarily any less scary, but probably less dangerous if you aren't losing control over your muscles. I've known people with seizure disorders who are almost "normal" when they are seizing, but something specific (like their speech) will be affected.

15+ minutes of convulsing in an intense febrile seizure would be awful. That poor kid must have felt like she was run over by a truck if that is what happened.

Anyway, regardless of what type of seizure, I hope she is OK and that if these are a side effect of premature birth, that she does outgrow it soon. :( Poor Jana must have been a nervous wreck being the one in charge during a medical emergency.

Also, it'd be nice if Jim Bob and Michelle could pretend they had anything nice to say about Jessa besides her good looks. But they've never really been very convincing liars, so maybe they know to keep it safe and stick with the things people won't question too much...

And on another more positive note - HOW CUTE IS MAC PLAYING THE DRUMS?! Oh my goodness. I don't even really like kids that much and it warmed my cold heart. It would be so amazing if they got her a drum set, but we all know she's going to be on the violin and piano like every other fundie woman.

If it's a febrile seizure, its not necessarily a product of prematurity. But she'll grow out of it in the next few years. That said, if a child had more than one febrile seizure, they're at a risk of developing epilepsy. The 6 kids I know who have had multiple febrile seizures have to get tests done every year or so. One of my second cousins has 3 daughters who had febrile seizures, and one of them now has epilepsy.

plus the photo they used of the family is from a year and half a go

and I really hate it when Michelle says when you have 19 kids always a lot is going on

um Hello - Josh, JD, Jill and Jessa have all moved out - you don't have 19 kids you have 16 tops

Archived