IGNORED

Jessa & BinBob's registries: Asking for over $30,000

Paperplate

I am currently working up to a kitchen aid. With FlyBuys I can get a certain amount of points and pay a reduced amount for a Kitchen aid, I think I will do that. I currently have a Breville scraper mixer that the paddle broke on, but my dad super glued it back together for me; which I was so grateful for. :D

It drives me nuts that this girl who doesn't seem to even like or want to cook/bake is (probably) going to get all these nice kitchen gadgets. Why get them if you will most likely never use them?! :roll: That's greed at it's finest right there. I'm an extremely practical person (I'm that asshole who buys people "useful" gifts for Xmas & birthdays etc) and I can't help but see this as a complete waste. I wanna start :pull-hair: from this bullshit.

I too am currently working up to a kitchen aid mixer. I really want the light blue/turquoise coloured one since it's my favourite colour & would match all my accessories (no joke). Amazon's a good place to look. For Canada Day the $600 mixer that I want was on for $325, and I still kick myself for not seeing it before I bought Brad Paisley & Blake Shelton tickets 20 minutes before hand. :angry-banghead: Hopefully it goes on sale again. But I won't lie, I enjoy mixing by hand too, and I think I'd miss that if I had a mixer. :shrug:

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It drives me nuts that this girl who doesn't seem to even like or want to cook/bake is (probably) going to get all these nice kitchen gadgets. Why get them if you will most likely never use them?! :roll: That's greed at it's finest right there. I'm an extremely practical person (I'm that asshole who buys people "useful" gifts for Xmas & birthdays etc) and I can't help but see this as a complete waste. I wanna start :pull-hair: from this bullshit.

I too am currently working up to a kitchen aid mixer. I really want the light blue/turquoise coloured one since it's my favourite colour & would match all my accessories (no joke). Amazon's a good place to look. For Canada Day the $600 mixer that I want was on for $325, and I still kick myself for not seeing it before I bought Brad Paisley & Blake Shelton tickets 20 minutes before hand. :angry-banghead: Hopefully it goes on sale again. But I won't lie, I enjoy mixing by hand too, and I think I'd miss that if I had a mixer. :shrug:

you won't stop mixing recipes by hand; a few times washing the mixer attachments, bowl, and wiping down the stand will be a pretty good preservative for that skill on little recipes. There's a swirly spring thing on the rotating disc that has to have the toothpick cleaning treatment every so often too lol :D

you won't stop mixing recipes by hand; a few times washing the mixer attachments, bowl, and wiping down the stand will be a pretty good preservative for that skill on little recipes. There's a swirly spring thing on the rotating disc that has to have the toothpick cleaning treatment every so often too lol :D

I don't know about that; I now only use my hand mixer maybe once or twice a year, granted I'm not a big potato person.

Now I feel guilty, so I'll confess: I'm in my mid-twenties and got my $400 Stand mixer the summer before I moved into my first apartment, junior year of college. It was my first big purchase and I don't think I consciously knew how much of a status symbol it truly was/is. I've gotten a lot of grief from roommates moms, and my mom has taken grief from our extended family. With us it was more of a 'baking is something she's always taken pride in, she uses our family kitchenaid twice a week, she's moving into her first apartment, and this is something she'll own for the rest of her life."

With Jessa... I guess I don't feel resentment for her just because the entire situation is so insane. Would you really give up all of your privacy, live in a petri dish, and not be allowed to develop your own thoughts, all for $30,000 worth of wedding presents and a promise of being bare foot and pregnant the rest of your reproductive life? I wouldn't.

Yeah, that's what I read too. But I don't do a lot of bread doughs anyway ...

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on the KitchenAid mixer issue! I'm still not entirely convinced though. Is a KitchenAid better than no stand mixer? Sure! Is a KitchenAid better than any other stand mixer? I don't know. I don't think that many of the people who rave about the KitchenAid (not necessarily here on the board, but just in general) have ever owned another stand mixer so they can't compare.

I really love the look of the Ankarsrum LadyBlue mentioned! If only I was rich!

I have owned all sorts of mixers, stand and otherwise. KitchenAid is far above anything else. Except maybe the LadyBlue I now covet.

I don't know about that; I now only use my hand mixer maybe once or twice a year, granted I'm not a big potato person.

Now I feel guilty, so I'll confess: I'm in my mid-twenties and got my $400 Stand mixer the summer before I moved into my first apartment, junior year of college. It was my first big purchase and I don't think I consciously knew how much of a status symbol it truly was/is. I've gotten a lot of grief from roommates moms, and my mom has taken grief from our extended family. With us it was more of a 'baking is something she's always taken pride in, she uses our family kitchenaid twice a week, she's moving into her first apartment, and this is something she'll own for the rest of her life."

With Jessa... I guess I don't feel resentment for her just because the entire situation is so insane. Would you really give up all of your privacy, live in a petri dish, and not be allowed to develop your own thoughts, all for $30,000 worth of wedding presents and a promise of being bare foot and pregnant the rest of your reproductive life? I wouldn't.

I don't think people are feeling resentment. I think people are just appalled at the lack of good taste on and the tackiness of this "registry". It also demonstrates a huge lack of maturity, especially troubling for someone who is getting married.

Also, if anyone insults your (or your mom's) purchase of your mixer, they are being incredibly petty. There is nothing wrong with buying a quality product you will use for years. Society is too disposable and wasteful. Good for you. This is one place where the Maxwell family is head and shoulders above most - they buy quality consumer products they can keep and use for years.

I feel like the whole registry can be explained in three points. 1) They Duggars are rich. 2) The Duggars have a ton of friends and acquaintances. Jill invited like 1000 people, didn't she? Split that $30 000 over enough people, and it's not as insane. 3) They're young, easily influenced, and within their circles it's common to expect a bunch of kids, wanting to be debt free and so on.

Obviously it's not necessary in any way and it comes off as greedy, especially compared to Josh and Anna's wedding, but yeah. I can understand how they justify it to themselves and those around them.

A kayak? Sort of weird, but we don't know much about their interests, and there are limits to how many items you need for your house, and they will most likely have a huge number of guests. A gun? Fucking weird, but the culture surrounding guns there seems really, really different. Like, extreme even for America.

Sure, they could ask for donations instead, but that has never really seemed to be part of what they do. They 'minister' to people and do charitable things if they can spout off their beliefs at the same time, but they've never really given off the impression that they give a lot to charity. Instead, they value being financially free to spend time on shit like ministering.

But if you had a $400 Coach bag no one would blink an eye... good for you for being practical and buying something you WILL have the rest of your life. I have had mine for 12 years or so (my parents bought it for me as my Christmas/birthday gift). It was white, but I changed my kitchen decor, and managed to successfully paint it black. It looks as good as new and still works like a charm.

If you are getting grief it's not for your lack of thrift, it's jealousy over your good sense and intelligent use of your money. It's a very practical luxury item.

I'll just quote myself from upthread:

Other people have apparently managed to resist the temptation.

Jessa also actually has some things that are just her own: her clothes* and probably a computer too. The girls also each have a nightstand with personal belongings.

Yes, she's never had her own grain mill, but I wouldn't have thought she was itching to get one, since she can't actually cook.

And Jill, who was in exactly the same position, had a MUCH smaller (~$8300, still a lot) registry.

And anyway: A parent should have stepped in and stopped this. Or their Christian upbringing should have taught them not to be so greedy. With all that "character first" stuff you'd think all of the Duggars would be wonderful people!

*Yes, they supposedly share, but they each have their own style (and size) and we know they don't do the family closet for the older girls anymore.

And I have to say after watching last night's episode, Michelle needs to be involved all things intimate with regards to the couple, but actually does none of the work involved. Why wasn't she helping Jana sew all the wedding clothing?????

Parents should have stopped them...nice idea but that's work, and JB and Michelle can not be bothered with that when it comes to the kids.

Shitty parents. They are shitty parents.

I don't think people are feeling resentment. I think people are just appalled at the lack of good taste on and the tackiness of this "registry". It also demonstrates a huge lack of maturity, especially troubling for someone who is getting married.

Also, if anyone insults your (or your mom's) purchase of your mixer, they are being incredibly petty. There is nothing wrong with buying a quality product you will use for years. Society is too disposable and wasteful. Good for you. This is one place where the Maxwell family is head and shoulders above most - they buy quality consumer products they can keep and use for years.

And flies in the face of everything they espouse: frugality, modesty, JOY-

Used car salesman- that is their mentality.

Basically they are liars.

I'll just quote myself from upthread:

Other people have apparently managed to resist the temptation.

Jessa also actually has some things that are just her own: her clothes* and probably a computer too. The girls also each have a nightstand with personal belongings.

Yes, she's never had her own grain mill, but I wouldn't have thought she was itching to get one, since she can't actually cook.

And Jill, who was in exactly the same position, had a MUCH smaller (~$8300, still a lot) registry.

And anyway: A parent should have stepped in and stopped this. Or their Christian upbringing should have taught them not to be so greedy. With all that "character first" stuff you'd think all of the Duggars would be wonderful people!

*Yes, they supposedly share, but they each have their own style (and size) and we know they don't do the family closet for the older girls anymore.

Oh I definitely think it's tacky, I was just trying to get into their minds to figure out why they might do it.

I grew up very poor--no central heat or air conditioning in central Kansas and ALL hand me down clothes/shoes until I got a part time job at age 16. I lived "in sin" with my future husband through our final two years of college and REFUSED to have a bridal shower because we already had hand me downs and Wal-Mart items. When I was forced by my in-laws to make a registry it totaled less than $1500 and I hand wrote and mailed thank you notes within 3 weeks of the wedding. Jill and Jessa absolutely disgust me!

These girls have had a very comfortable life for at least the past ten years when TLC came knocking. I didn't fly on an airplane until I was 21 years old or leave the USA until my Canadian honeymoon at age 23. They have traveled the country and the world. Anyone who says "poor Duggars" is a jerk.

Good lord, it looks like they are preparing to outfit a small militia rather than a household.

Let's play the "creepy combos" game. Off of the Benessa registry, put together a combination of gifts that is the most brow-raising.

For example: a hatchet, duct tape, and a shower curtain.

She registers for over $30k worth of crap but the sewing machine she got, per her WalMart registry, is the biggest piece of crap ever made. She can't cook but wants tons of professional level cooking equipment but picks out a sewing machine that'll fall apart in a year. :wtf:

the thing that surprises me (as if anything could from this family) is that they focus so much on "character qualities" and if she were truly a woman of character, she would never have gone stark raving mad like she did with this registry.

the other thing that makes me scratch my head is that it is just so darn random. it really doesn't make any sense if it were meant for one household. even if some items were multiplied to accommodate for an expanding family it wouldn't be as excessive as this. i've even taken in to account the idea of being 'scan happy' due to material deprivation in her childhood and i still come out wondering what the heck happened here.

the only thing that makes any sense at all is that other people (duggars/seewalds) have put their bid in for themselves.

the whole thing is pure gluttony. my question is - how do ben and jessa rationalize this registry? is there a scripture that allows for selfish, self-serving, greed and ego-driven behavior? does paul talk about this somewhere in the new testament?

Good lord, it looks like they are preparing to outfit a small militia rather than a household.

Let's play the "creepy combos" game. Off of the Benessa registry, put together a combination of gifts that is the most brow-raising.

Don't think I can beat that, but: a gun, stain remover, and Lysol disinfecting wipes

That registry sounds a little like Norman Bates put it together. I think "Ma Bates" liked knives though. Don't Benessa have some knives on their registry as well?

the thing that surprises me (as if anything could from this family) is that they focus so much on "character qualities" and if she were truly a woman of character, she would never have gone stark raving mad like she did with this registry.

the other thing that makes me scratch my head is that it is just so darn random. it really doesn't make any sense if it were meant for one household. even if some items were multiplied to accommodate for an expanding family it wouldn't be as excessive as this. i've even taken in to account the idea of being 'scan happy' due to material deprivation in her childhood and i still come out wondering what the heck happened here.

the only thing that makes any sense at all is that other people (duggars/seewalds) have put their bid in for themselves.

the whole thing is pure gluttony. my question is - how do ben and jessa rationalize this registry? is there a scripture that allows for selfish, self-serving, greed and ego-driven behavior? does paul talk about this somewhere in the new testament?

This. Thank you. None of it looks like it's going into one house. I don't understand. Nothing matches at all. I really want to see this house decorated with all the things purchased off this registry bc I can't imagine how any of this will match one household.

I do however understand registering for a lot of crap bc they know 10 years down the road they're liable to be 7 kids and counting and will need this stuff then. Very greedy still but from their perspective I think that's how they're trying to justify it.

I have to go for duct tape, pink himalayan salt, and a cheese slicer.

I do a lot of cooking and baking, and the only appliance I can think of that I truly use multiples of is slow cookers. I have 5, from a Little Dipper to an 8 quart, and all get tons of use. Some people find it excessive, but I use them all, and I never would have put that many on a registry. On the flip side, I never have had and never will have an electric can opener.

I got so, so lucky with my Kitchen Aid. I do cakes and I was saving all my profits for a KA mixer and was halfway there. I go into a store and lo and behold: a display model marked half off! There were like 3 women standing there staring at it, and I ran up and grabbed it without a second thought! She doesn't have a name, but I do lovingly stroke her and profess my adoration at least once a week. :lol:

Yeah, they are going to be exchanging a lot of stuff. They might get the paddle and life vests, but not the kayak. :-P

And it's obviously really practical to have two blenders, but no glasses ...

We had an extremely small, simple registry at Target and I still received an ironing board cover, but no ironing board. 12 years later and we still make do with a small table top board because we've never gotten around to buying a big one.

Does anyone know where they will be living after they are married?

Is Grandma Duggars/Josh's house open for them? Bunking with Jill and Derick?

I agree, the whole thing is perplexing. Why even allow Ben and Jessa to court if he wasn't ready to marry and provide all the way down to the asinine registries. It's not just Ben and Jessa not thinking clearly.

It's hard to out creep that but what I did see was someone bought three of these pieces of wall art: cilantro, garlic and lime.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/g ... 49&pwsurl=

I have fantasies of Ben and Jessa opening p box and box of fake flowers, scented candles and more wall art than walls they have. Such an odd registry, well registries.

oh my gosh that wall art! So ugly! (from someone who remembers the original '70's wall art from the homes of people who neglected to redecorate in a timely fashion)

a $299 Dyson circle fan. Never knew how much those things cost. i can see Ben trying to throw a ball through there and breaking it. :lol:

eta it's amazing how much is left. But someone did buy them the Bar Keeper's Friend.

Archived