IGNORED

Jessa & BinBob's registries: Asking for over $30,000

Paperplate

I am really confused about how one buys firearms for another person - are there ATF rules that need to be followed? (For the non-Americans that is our Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives). Don't you need to register the firearm after registering yourself as a gun owner? I don't have firearms so I don't know, but I understand that weaponry and the ownership thereof requires a registration of some sort, so how exactly do you receive these items as gifts?

Also, you can't tell me SOMEONE hasn't said to one of these girls *something* about the registries. Even a well-meaning southern broad in charge of the registry at BB&B could make a pointed remark about their extensive registries. Trust me, I grew up in the south and the matriarchs aren't above pointing out a faux pas followed by a pat on the hand and a "bless your heart". And they've all been around long enough to not give a damn about any Duggar D list celebrity status. The true celebrities of the south are (elected) politicians. But I digress....

I don't think anyone pointing out their greed would STOP them, but it sure takes away the fact that the poor little dears just don't know any better.

And as far as things for the groom on the registry - I am sorry, but I have to disagree. It is supposed to be things for the COUPLE. Yes, a mixer is traditionally a "girl toy" but presumably she is using it to whip up yummy things for her new spouse (or maybe he is using it!). A drill or a saw is appropriate as it is used to benefit both and their home, even though traditionally those are "boys' toys". But HE gets a kayak because HE kayaks and SHE gets a purse because SHE likes purses ruins the spirit of the registry. If someone wants to give them something like that for their birthday or as a special gift just for him (or her) then that is one thing. But to have a bunch of bride stuff, groom stuff, then "us stuff" on the registry is greedy, no matter who does it.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am really confused about how one buys firearms for another person - are there ATF rules that need to be followed? (For the non-Americans that is our Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives). Don't you need to register the firearm after registering yourself as a gun owner? I don't have firearms so I don't know, but I understand that weaponry and the ownership thereof requires a registration of some sort, so how exactly do you receive these items as gifts?

Also, you can't tell me SOMEONE hasn't said to one of these girls *something* about the registries. Even a well-meaning southern broad in charge of the registry at BB&B could make a pointed remark about their extensive registries. Trust me, I grew up in the south and the matriarchs aren't above pointing out a faux pas followed by a pat on the hand and a "bless your heart". And they've all been around long enough to not give a damn about any Duggar D list celebrity status. The true celebrities of the south are (elected) politicians. But I digress....

I don't think anyone pointing out their greed would STOP them, but it sure takes away the fact that the poor little dears just don't know any better.

And as far as things for the groom on the registry - I am sorry, but I have to disagree. It is supposed to be things for the COUPLE. Yes, a mixer is traditionally a "girl toy" but presumably she is using it to whip up yummy things for her new spouse (or maybe he is using it!). A drill or a saw is appropriate as it is used to benefit both and their home, even though traditionally those are "boys' toys". But HE gets a kayak because HE kayaks and SHE gets a purse because SHE likes purses ruins the spirit of the registry. If someone wants to give them something like that for their birthday or as a special gift just for him (or her) then that is one thing. But to have a bunch of bride stuff, groom stuff, then "us stuff" on the registry is greedy, no matter who does it.

Pretty sure it's a state regulated thing- and it's Arkansas- I think a baby could obtain and carry a gun in that state.

Pretty sure it's a state regulated thing- and it's Arkansas- I think a baby could obtain and carry a gun in that state.

I know several years ago my husband asked for a gun for hunting from his parents for his birthday. We are in IL and he had to go with them for purchase to show his Firearms Owner ID card, fill out paperwork and he was the one that they checked through the state police. Not sure at all about gun laws in AK, but it is still a weird gift to me.

This is sad...they registered for the same color Kitchenaid and the same exact casual dining set that we did. Luckily, my MIL gave us her old fiesta ware set and we returned our old stuff. Ended up with $400 in store credit to Buy Buy Baby, which was AWESOME!

I have friends getting married soon that registered at REI. At first I thought it was a little strange, but then I reasoned that they're huge camper/living in the wilderness people and buying them camping gear was akin to giving them a gift for their house.

(ETA: Shoot, she registered for the same Scentsy warmer that we have! Why is she copying my house?!? Also FIFTEEN items in the candle section? Are you kidding me?)

Well, the candles are to set the mood, all the sheet sets are to change them quick when they get "dirty". hehehehe :nanner-sex:

I know several years ago my husband asked for a gun for hunting from his parents for his birthday. We are in IL and he had to go with them for purchase to show his Firearms Owner ID card, fill out paperwork and he was the one that they checked through the state police. Not sure at all about gun laws in AK, but it is still a weird gift to me.

AR it is AR!!! AK is alaska!!

In my state it's easy to sell a gun by private sale and there's no paperwork involved. If Arkansas is the same way, someone could buy the gun and "sell" it to them with no paper trail or permitting. Each state is different with those laws but I imagine Arkansas is pretty lenient, unlike New York or California. Their registries are getting national attention (I saw Jill's mentioned somewhere recently) so I bet after Jessa and Jill they'll have to reign it in a little more.

That was the only thing I genuinely WANTED for my wedding gift. My mother got it for me.

He's apple green and a member of the family now. We call him Sir Mixes A. Lot.

My white KitchenAid is named Queen Frostine :)

If anything, the BB&B lady pushed them to buy more. Their rule of thumb is two gifts per guest. One for the wedding shower, one for the wedding.

I'm also from IL and used to work in a store where we sold firearms, and IL gun laws are far more strict than other states. FOID cards are only a thing in IL and a couple of other states, and I don't think they have them in AR. If someone from another state wants to buy a gun in IL, they don't even have to show a FOID card; just their driver's license unless they're buying handgun ammo. I now live in IN and the gun laws are far less strict here, and I know they're definitely not very strict in AR! I agree, though, I would think it would be a difficult thing to buy for a gift...wouldn't there be a 24 hour waiting period or anything? And surely it would need to be registered in their names?

Are they really? I always thought they were more of a status symbol because I read that they don't work as well as cheaper, less design-y mixers. But they do look really nice and if I was rich and had a big kitchen, I'd consider buying one. They are about $600 over here though. And handmixers are be really practical because you're not stuck with using them with just one bowl.

Blasphemy! My KitchenAid stand mixer is amazing! I got it as a wedding present in 2000. The 6qt professional model. I love it. I use it all the time. I have all sorts of attachments and use them all the time too. It's 14 years old with heavy use and still works and looks great.

Ha! I'm a southerner as well and I can picture the scenario you described: a Julia Sugarbaker type giving her one of those smiles and commenting on "so much stuff for two little ol' people, darlin'". Love it.

Of course, the "bless your heart" would probably be taken by Smugessa and Ben Boy as an encouragement. :roll: "That nice lady wished us blessings!!11!"

(edited because I fluffed the code for the quote part)

Yeah, a good Southern matriarch would have said something. I'm from Alabama, and the matriarchs in my family would most definitely have spoken up. Southern matriarchs are to be listened to and respected. It's a shame that the Duggar ladies don't have one to reel them in. These registries are out of control.

I love my KitchenAid stand mixer also. To be totally honest, it's something I registered for because pretty much everyone I know also registers for them, and I was lucky that my mother-in-law bought it for me. I don't bake a lot or have many attachments for it, but I use it a lot for making mashed potatoes and things of that nature!

I do like my toaster! Still working great!

I had my grandmothers kitchenaid, glass bowl and all. It was fine until a couple years ago when i really thick batch of cookie dough took down the motor.. :(, still have the bowl though! I got a new kitchen aid after that though. Can't go without one!

My hubby bought one for me for Christmas the first year we were married, but he must have dropped the box :| or -- it was from Walmart -- so maybe it was a refurbished one or something... it is a 4.5qt and was about $150 iirc. and it has never mixed smoothly - the pin in the back works it's way out and the paint on the standard beater attachment is all worn off on the bottom. (I guess we ate it! lol) It's not super noticeable, barely enough to be a little off. So just an fyi, to maybe buy them from a kitchen place instead of Walmart. (it's true walmart DOES sell refurbished ones; just checked and they had one of the 6 qt for $250 refurbished). My hubby just didn't know about those details, and it makes him so happy to do awesome things for me and the kids that i haven't had the heart to get it replaced. i think the time is up to get it under warranty, i was too lazy to get that done in time. :embarrassed: When it finally gives up the ghost, i'd love one of the 6 qts with a glass bowl! i've never had one of the hand held kind, we grew up using my mom's ancient kitchen aid. i'm afraid to use a handheld one, that one of the kids will end up getting their tongue stuck in the beaters. :lol:

I'm also from IL and used to work in a store where we sold firearms, and IL gun laws are far more strict than other states. FOID cards are only a thing in IL and a couple of other states, and I don't think they have them in AR. If someone from another state wants to buy a gun in IL, they don't even have to show a FOID card; just their driver's license unless they're buying handgun ammo. I now live in IN and the gun laws are far less strict here, and I know they're definitely not very strict in AR! I agree, though, I would think it would be a difficult thing to buy for a gift...wouldn't there be a 24 hour waiting period or anything? And surely it would need to be registered in their names?

I wonder if they'll just have a leghumper pay for it and when they go to pick up their gifts at the firearm counter they'll have to show ID? I'm not sure how that works either, but don't the online gifts go through their local walmart?

When I got married five years ago, and several friends were doing the same, it was pretty common to add a few big items on your registry for group purchase, OR because that specific store gave a discount on all the I purchased items for X amount of time after the wedding. I could excuse a few items for that purpose only, but clearly that is not what is happening with these registries. Not to mention, most of those stores don't offer it.

I do wish someone had spoken up, but most likely the registry person was young, these are relatively famous people, they probably didn't want to step on toes. IIRC though places like BBB give you a guide of what I normal to register for. Apparently they took that to mean Starter List.

I'm feeling a little uncool because I've never named my Kitchen Aid. :lol:

I bought mine 16 years ago with an inheritance and used it mostly for making double batches of cookies. So not terribly often. Then my bread machine broke. I use it a couple times a week now and am so grateful to have it. Definitely a worthy investment. Maybe not for Jessa . . .

Blasphemy! My KitchenAid stand mixer is amazing! I got it as a wedding present in 2000. The 6qt professional model. I love it. I use it all the time. I have all sorts of attachments and use them all the time too. It's 14 years old with heavy use and still works and looks great.

I registered for a Kitchen Aid mixer when I got married in the late 1990's. I did not recieve one, but someone gave us a very expensive set of pots and pans I did not ask for nor want. So returned those and used the credit to help buy the Kitchen Aid I really wanted. This was prior to the pro model and it cost $350 on sale at the time.

I had already burned out my great-Aunt's Sunbeam mixer and my Mom's hand mixer from heavy use before I got married. Having one was a huge help and my entire family, including extended benefited from the baking and cooking I did using it.

I picked up extra attachments such as the meat grinder at a thrift store a few years later. They are great when you have hunters in the family and process your own game.

Can you run a kitchen and a household without one? Yes. However it is so much easier if you do have a Kitchen Aid or similar heavy mixer.

Editied for tense.

Wow- I can't believe anyone would think it's okay to register for tens of thousands of dollars of gifts. I am sure there are plenty of Duggar fans will purchase some of the less expensive items, but the more expensive items do seem a bit much.

I agree. I looked at Jill's registry a few days before her wedding and other than one or two items EVERYTHING had been bought for her. I am sure Jessa expects the same thing will happen for her. To girls and they are girls, despite their chronological ages, who had nothing to call their own from clothing to a bedroom or even the sole use of their own beds growing up getting married on a popular TV show must be akin to opening Aladdin's cave.

Plus they have had a decade of growing up with people throwing goods and services at their family just for existing and play acting for the cameras.

Their parents have modeled nothing but greed and a sense of entitlement for being more Godly, special and superior to most of the rest of humanity.

These kids don't live in reality. I am sure Jessa is utterly bewildered at the media (not just at FJ) backlash over her registries and probably feeling rather bitter because a few short months ago Jill got nearly everything on her extensive "wish list" registries.

I think as others have posted that Jim Bob and Michelle have been grifting off both daughters registries to update or further outfit their own home. It will be interesting to see if next season anyone can identify items from both Jill and Jessa's registries being used at the TTH during filming.

None of this excuses the greedy gift grab going on, but it does help explain why Jessa and Ben thought it was okay to ask for so much from people they know and leghumpers alike. :angry-banghead: :sick:

I agree. I looked at Jill's registry a few days before her wedding and other than one or two items EVERYTHING had been bought for her. I am sure Jessa expects the same thing will happen for her. To girls and they are girls, despite their chronological ages, who had nothing to call their own from clothing to a bedroom or even the sole use of their own beds growing up getting married on a popular TV show must be akin to opening Aladdin's cave.

Plus they have had a decade of growing up with people throwing goods and services at their family just for existing and play acting for the cameras.

Their parents have modeled nothing but greed and a sense of entitlement for being more Godly, special and superior to most of the rest of humanity.

These kids don't live in reality. I am sure Jessa is utterly bewildered at the media (not just at FJ) backlash over her registries and probably feeling rather bitter because a few short months ago Jill got nearly everything on her extensive "wish list" registries.

I think as others have posted that Jim Bob and Michelle have been grifting off both daughters registries to update or further outfit their own home. It will be interesting to see if next season anyone can identify items from both Jill and Jessa's registries being used at the TTH during filming.

None of this excuses the greedy gift grab going on, but it does help explain why Jessa and Ben thought it was okay to ask for so much from people they know and leghumpers alike. :angry-banghead: :sick:

Then she better work on her "contentment," right?

Hehehe. At least they registered for only one toaster, as far as I can see. Are you happy with it?

And Jessa and her toyboy seem to be fantasizing about weapons and fake flowers ...

I think it'd be appropriate to register for nice stuff that maybe you wouldn't buy for yourself, but to register for every.single.thing that exists?!? Do they really, truly need and even want all of this? They are going to be taking a lot of trips to return that stuff to the store so they can get some cash to buy cream of whatever soups and – nine months into their marriage – diapers.

"Kind of greedy"? Maybe I don't know enough about US gifting customs ... How much do you guys usually spend on a wedding gift for a family member/friend/acquaintance/stranger who is on a tv show? Remember that (if you're actually invited) you'll be bringing this gift to a wedding where you'll won't even get a piece of wedding cake, let alone a proper meal or booze.

I think the most I have spent on a wedding present was $250 for an immediate family member. For non-family or close friends my budget is $50 per wedding if I can afford it at the time.

I think the Kitchenaid stand mixer and a hand mixer is a smart request. They both have their own uses and yes, I have both. I have had my Kitchenaid stand mixer ($179.00 back in the day) for about 20 years and it is the greatest. I actually have two hand mixers, not gonna apologize for that either. I paid for them so I can have them. If they are gonna ask for expensive stuff, better to be for a well stocked kitchen. If she does not cook much now, she will learn and the nicer the quality the better. I'm kind of a kitchen snob. Yes, the list goes on and on but they might have the idea of, if you don't ask for it you surely won't get it. Selfish granted, but again she has been raised a Duggar. This may be her very last time to feel special before she becomes a baby machine.

Some things that stuck out...

4 stock pots - quart, 12 quart, 16 quart, 20 quart

2 different griddles

Strawberry huller (???)

Berry serving spoon - because a regular serving spoon just won't do

3 different ice cream scoops

11 cutting boards

His and Hers luggage tags

8 Comforters --- 5 DIFFERENT Queen bed comforters + 1 King bed comforter + 2 Down Queen Comforters

REALLY!?!?!?

We should start a thread when it comes that time... but how are we going to remember all the items? Can you print it out lol?

Some things that stuck out...

11 cutting boards

REALLY!?!?!?

You can only chop ONE thing at a time... two if Bin helps; unlikely, so back to one.

Archived