IGNORED

Jessa & BinBob's registries: Asking for over $30,000

Paperplate

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTH?!?!?! I got married 10 years ago my whole registry may have been 5 grand and that included some funny stuff. When we first registered several people told us we didn't register for nice enough stuff so we went back and put some stupid stuff on there. Like a new TV and really expensive pots and pans.

I have a Kitchen Aid. My husband bought it for me when he got a bonus at work, ten years after the wedding. ;-)

My favorite part of those registries: Benessa only asked for four place settings of every day dishes. She's going to be doing dishes after every meal. (Sixteen drinking glasses, twelve bowls, but only four plates? Maybe they're planning on using paper.) Asking for guns and a machete on a bridal registry is unbelievably bad. According to the sheer amount of bedding she asked for, they're evidently moving into a mansion.

Considering the fact we now know all of the registry gifts showed up at the TTH, it's more than a possibility that Jim Boob and J-Chelle are restocking their house on family, friends and TLC viewers as well. :o

Tooth Fairy has pointed out that they are probably getting some of this stuff for Boob and Mullet, for which I agree with. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

For a family that raves on about being Christian; don't they realize that GREED is one of the seven deadly sins?! :angry-banghead: :cray-cray: :stir-pot:

The only thing more absurd than a $30,000 registry is the people choosing to use their hard earned money to buy someone (most likely a stranger) a freaking kayak.

Jessa probably hasn't much new stuff, much less things that are truly her own and not shared, throughout her whole life...so I can't really blame them for raking in what they can. I guess that's the tradeoff of having crazed fans who stalk outside your house. You lose all your privacy so might as well get something nice out of it while you can.

Maybe she'll start watching cooking and baking tutorials on YouTube... she's going to have quite a bit of spare time for a short while until baby #1 comes along.

I wouldn't think Jessa is one to watch cooking tutorials. She'd be all over hair and makeup videos though.

They would surely publicly clarify if these registries were fake. Right? I mean, are we to assume that this is for real?

I hope someone calls them out on this. It's pretty disgusting.

From the wedding invite (and several media sites) we know that they are registered at these stores. There are no other couples under their names registered there. Several media sites also think that these are their real registry so I think we can be sure. But it's so outrageously greedy that I'd like to believe it's fake.

And I am hereby calling them out on it! Since I have no other forum, I'm doing it here: Jessa, once the wedding is over and your new headship grants you free internet access you will surely google yourself and will probably(?) find this: Your registry is greedy and un-Christian. Stop going on about abortion and start focusing on your own sins. You're majorly greedy! (But congrats on your wedding. Still hope you're happy.)

they have no place to live officially that we know of and they are asking people to buy all this

I mean please - where will they store it - under the bed in Ben's "room"

I'd think they'd have something lined up. They registered for curtains and stuff like that. Would you do that if you had no place to hang them yet?

My favorite part of those registries: Benessa only asked for four place settings of every day dishes. She's going to be doing dishes after every meal. (Sixteen drinking glasses, twelve bowls, but only four plates? Maybe they're planning on using paper.)

:lol: I didn't realise that before. Maybe they have already bought some plates themselves, or got some as gifts? Maybe they are getting some no longer needed plates from the TTH? Maybe they really aren't going to be using a lot of plates at home since they're going to be eating out a lot and paying for it with all of those gift cards they registered for...

But yeah ... that's what registry used to be for: china, not guns, flavoured syrup, kayaks, duct tape and Macbooks.

ETA: They registered for 20 plastic plates. Supposedly they are for company (aka the whole Duggar clan), but maybe they plan to use them as everyday plates too.) They are asking for some other small plates too.

The only thing more absurd than a $30,000 registry is the people choosing to use their hard earned money to buy someone (most likely a stranger) a freaking kayak.

Agreed.

Jessa probably hasn't much new stuff, much less things that are truly her own and not shared, throughout her whole life...so I can't really blame them for raking in what they can. I guess that's the tradeoff of having crazed fans who stalk outside your house. You lose all your privacy so might as well get something nice out of it while you can.

Sure, Jessa has never had her very own brand-new toaster oven but that doesn't make it ok to be so unbelievably greedy now, and I am blaming her (and Bin, and their parents). It's not like she's been living in poverty. Her family can afford buy whatever they want. JB just bought JD a freaking PLANE, for crying out loud. It's not like they're hurting for cash. Jessa really doesn't need to "rake in what she can". I'm positive JB is going to make sure that she and Bin don't have to struggle too much after marriage. He might not buy them their very own machete or that rather awful electric fire place they apparently want, but he's not going to let them live in poverty.

And I never felt that Jessa would like more privacy. She's super active on social media and would have never gotten so much attention without the tv show.

She surely had to suffer some of the negative effects of being on tv, but JB put her there, not the viewers. So if anyone should comp her for it, it's him and not them. And she's supposedly being payed for her appearances anyway.

She and Bin are being greedy and selfish. Apparently, they weren't raised right. (Shocker!)

To put things in perspective: Joseph Maxwell and Elissa Frost asked for around $1200 worth of stuff on their BBB registry (and I'm not aware of them being registered anywhere else) – a mix of sensible things and high end stuff. They didn't get everything either. I guess their situation is different. They already had a house which presumably was furnished to some extent. But other than that they have the same "needs". They still didn't ask for bacon themed duct tape and a commercial juicer.

Also: Who did Bin & Jessa invite to their wedding? I'd image it'd be other fundie families with more kids than they can afford (so presumably not rolling in cash) and maybe, just maybe some friends who would be teens and young adults and therefore also not exactly loaded. Is there a really a leghumper out there who is going to buy them a $600 shelf?

And I just saw that they are actually registered for three mixers and three blenders. :cray-cray:

Also: Who did Bin & Jessa invite to their wedding? I'd image it'd be other fundie families with more kids than they can afford (so presumably not rolling in cash) and maybe, just maybe some friends who would be teens and young adults and therefore also not exactly loaded. Is there a really a leghumper out there who is going to buy them a $600 shelf?

I was thinking the same thing and assuming most of their guests are fundies who live on, just over or below the poverty line?

Sure, Jessa has never had her very own brand-new toaster oven but that doesn't make it ok to be so unbelievably greedy now, and I am blaming her (and Bin, and their parents). It's not like she's been living in poverty. Her family can afford buy whatever they want. JB just bought JD a freaking PLANE, for crying out loud.

I think the problem there is that you're giving JB way too much credit regarding what he'd supposedly buy his adult children. I think he hoards away most of the money he's made that he is not re-investing. IMO, the only reason he helps them out with a house when they marry is to keep an eye on them nearby. I think he invests the bare minimum to try to keep them on track (and on the compound) and won't "waste" a dime more. A house so they can still come over to babysit and Jchelle can get her baby fix so she doesn't have a breakdown? Fine. Plates to eat on? No way!

I guess as tacky as the registry seems to me, I still can't really judge this poor girl with NO skills or real education (and the maturity and life experience of a 13 year old) for taking advantage of this situation. Maybe she likes attention, but she's paid the price of that show and the fame in other ways IMO so power to her. I just really think it is wrong to profit off your children on a reality TV show. So much of JB's wealth comes from his children - they deserve a chance to profit off of it too. It's only fair. Jessa drives me CRAZY - like, to the point where I almost have to turn the TV off when it's focusing on her - but I still feel bad for her. Who knows what kind of person she'd be today if she'd been raised in another family?

It's funny how JB and Jchelle would NEVER buy a gift as nice as most of these things for someone else. JB's own mother could remarry and he'd probably give her a bag of M&Ms and a Vlassic coupon.

It's not like they're hurting for cash. Jessa really doesn't need to "rake in what she can". I'm positive JB is going to make sure that she and Bin don't have to struggle too much after marriage. He might not buy them their very own machete or that rather awful electric fire place they apparently want, but he's not going to let them live in poverty

I think the problem there is that you're giving JB way too much credit regarding what he'd supposedly buy his adult children. I think he hoards away most of the money he's made that he is not re-investing. IMO, the only reason he helps them out with a house when they marry is to keep an eye on them nearby. I think he invests the bare minimum to try to keep them on track (and on the compound) and won't "waste" a dime more. A house so they can still come over to babysit and Jchelle can get her baby fix so she doesn't have a breakdown? Fine. Plates to eat on? No way!

I guess as tacky as the registry seems to me, I still can't really judge this poor girl with NO skills or real education (and the maturity and life experience of a 13 year old) for taking advantage of this situation. Maybe she likes attention, but she's paid the price of that show and the fame in other ways IMO so power to her. I just really think it is wrong to profit off your children on a reality TV show. So much of JB's wealth comes from his children - they deserve a chance to profit off of it too. It's only fair. Jessa drives me CRAZY - like, to the point where I almost have to turn the TV off when it's focusing on her - but I still feel bad for her. Who knows what kind of person she'd be today if she'd been raised in another family?

It's funny how JB and Jchelle would NEVER buy a gift as nice as most of these things for someone else. JB's own mother could remarry and he'd probably give her a bag of M&Ms and a Vlassic coupon.

If the Duggar (and other kids in reality tv) were covered by the Cooghlan Law, this would all be moot as they would have their own money for selling their stories and lives to TLC. The person who should be footing the bill for all of this is JB Duggar. He is the person who is profiting and padding his portfolio on the backs of his children. Those kids have been working for 10 years and aside from Josh and Anna, I'll bet not a one gets their own paycheck for their work and efforts.

If the Duggar (and other kids in reality tv) were covered by the Cooghlan Law, this would all be moot as they would have their own money for selling their stories and lives to TLC. The person who should be footing the bill for all of this is JB Duggar. He is the person who is profiting and padding his portfolio on the backs of his children. Those kids have been working for 10 years and aside from Josh and Anna, I'll bet not a one gets their own paycheck for their work and efforts.

The whole thing is ridiculous to me. My husband has a cousin who got married and were moving into their own apartment shortly after getting hitched. The couple needed EVERYTHING as they were living with her mom and brother before the wedding. They did not have a kayak or a computer or a gun on their registry and nothing was outrageous. It was basics they needed to get started. She has been married 17 years and they have replaced/upgraded stuff but it was a start.

I did register for a Kitchen Aid mixer when I got married, but I bake quite a bit.

I am the aunt that gives Kitchen Aid mixers for wedding gifts (provided they are on the registry) 2 in the last month :)

I do think that a lot of these things are totally odd. But I don't think the overall price is that big of a deal as it is more of a wish list. They seem to have plenty of inexpensive items that a guest could afford on most budgets. It would be wrong if everything was not in the average person's idea of affordable. I think most couples realize they will not receive 1/4 of the gifts they list. Lot's of people appreciate having several stores, prices and types of things to choose from. In fact lots of people look for pricey items because they plan on going in on the gift with other guests. And a lot of men, especially single men like to buy items like kayaks or firearms not dishes....as it's not about just starting a home but a life and they are thinking of the groom,who tends to be left out anyway. I think things are just different now.

In case of confusion....I pretty much hate these people. I'm no leghumper or fan! ;)

Dude kitchen aid mixers are the bomb and will go on forever! I adore mine!

That was the only thing I genuinely WANTED for my wedding gift. My mother got it for me.

He's apple green and a member of the family now. We call him Sir Mixes A. Lot.

I don't know, I agree that it's important to have items in different price ranges and such, I still think there's an etiquette to wedding registries and they're meant for starting your lives together. The gifts are intended to outfit your home together. I know couples who have lived together who instead asked for more hobby-related things, or money, which I know is more acceptable now, but in this instance...I think they're misusing the registry. That's why it's rubbing so many people the wrong way! The gift cards for fast food, machetes...it's just not appropriate. I just got married myself, and I think it's important to be tasteful and practical with your registry, because you don't want to send the message that it's just a gift-grab. And that's exactly what they've done here. Let's not forget...if they left all that bullshit off their registry, guests would just give them money. Right? But this is a surefire way for them to get gifts from leghumpers galore :dance:

I don't know, I agree that it's important to have items in different price ranges and such, I still think there's an etiquette to wedding registries and they're meant for starting your lives together. The gifts are intended to outfit your home together. I know couples who have lived together who instead asked for more hobby-related things, or money, which I know is more acceptable now, but in this instance...I think they're misusing the registry. That's why it's rubbing so many people the wrong way! The gift cards for fast food, machetes...it's just not appropriate. I just got married myself, and I think it's important to be tasteful and practical with your registry, because you don't want to send the message that it's just a gift-grab. And that's exactly what they've done here. Let's not forget...if they left all that bullshit off their registry, guests would just give them money. Right? But this is a surefire way for them to get gifts from leghumpers galore :dance:

Jessa and Bin are definitely milking it for all it's worth. Silly leghumpers may buy them some of the items...

Wow- I can't believe anyone would think it's okay to register for tens of thousands of dollars of gifts. I am sure there are plenty of Duggar fans will purchase some of the less expensive items, but the more expensive items do seem a bit much.

Hehehe. At least they registered for only one toaster, as far as I can see. Are you happy with it?

I do like my toaster! Still working great!

I had my grandmothers kitchenaid, glass bowl and all. It was fine until a couple years ago when i really thick batch of cookie dough took down the motor.. :(, still have the bowl though! I got a new kitchen aid after that though. Can't go without one!

I am the aunt that gives Kitchen Aid mixers for wedding gifts (provided they are on the registry) 2 in the last month :)

My aunt does the same...but she does not wait for a registry. As soon as someone announces their engagement she asks what color Kitchen Aid they would like.

Wow! Just, wow. I honestly don't know what to say. I agree that Jessa and for that matter, Ben have probably not ever had the opportunity to just "go shopping" for themselves. They are basically children still living under mom and dads roof.

This just goes to show that neither of them have a foothold in reality.

Personally, I believe that registries should be for the basics to put your home together. Since either Ben or Jessa haven't lived independently, they need everything...but not 3 of everything. And the 4 plates just cracks me up. I guess she doesn't realize that people use actual plates and not "paper plates" Lolololol

This is sad...they registered for the same color Kitchenaid and the same exact casual dining set that we did. Luckily, my MIL gave us her old fiesta ware set and we returned our old stuff. Ended up with $400 in store credit to Buy Buy Baby, which was AWESOME!

I have friends getting married soon that registered at REI. At first I thought it was a little strange, but then I reasoned that they're huge camper/living in the wilderness people and buying them camping gear was akin to giving them a gift for their house.

(ETA: Shoot, she registered for the same Scentsy warmer that we have! Why is she copying my house?!? Also FIFTEEN items in the candle section? Are you kidding me?)

They could have avoided this whole issue by simply asking for gift cards to BB&B, a furniture store of choice, and Target. That way nobody would have to know how much they got, and thank-you notes would be easier, too.

Can I be your niece? I'm not getting married (anytime soon), but you sound pretty gifty in general. :lol:

Archived