IGNORED

Jessa & BinBob's registries: Asking for over $30,000

Paperplate

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Being 19 and 21 you probably aren't thinking about fine china all that much anyway.

Yeah, at 19, I'd be like 'whatever, plates are plates' but now in my mid twenties, I'm like 'ohhh, I would like a nice set of china when I get married one day'.

I feel like I beat a dead horse about this, but that is way out of Duggar's league. They are really just above trailer trash.

JB&M aren't fancy people - at all - I doubt any of their kids know how to set a table, use a place setting, etc.

My sister is pretty much a step above trailer trash, and even she registered for Corelle...

I would not consider myself TT, but I didn't register for fine china...just never going to use it. I registered for the practical stuff.

FTR: We don't eat off paper plates except for the occasional BBQ/party

I didnt register for a kitchenaid stand mixer because they are nothing compared to the amazing Breville Stand Mixers. Lower cost with better construction. Those Aussies know what they are doing. BTW Breville makes the best blenders :)

In a Consumer Reports special edition on high end appliances, the Breville stand mixer came out on top with the Kitchen-aid Pro model second and the KA Artisan third and the Hamilton Beach 6331 at $180 coming in fourth. I must admit that I wouldn't mind having a KA with a glass bowl, because I'm short. I'd not give up my old KA with the steel bowl though. Metal is better for meringues.

I've been married about 35 years and I've found a couple of china patterns that I'd love to get Burleigh Calico and Ansley Cottage Garden. Cottage Garden is no longer made, but you can get it at Replacements. Burleigh Blue Calico still is made, thankfully.

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/ayncoga.htm

The Duggars wouldn't know want to do with fine china and silverware.

karen77, most etiquette experts would say use your fine china for everyday. Isn't family dining enough of an occasion?

edited to delete unneeded word

we didn't register for china or crystal. My grandparents both had given us as much as we had room for when they downsized into senior apartments.

The prettiest china I have ever seen is called Noritake Audrey. I found it at a Salvation Army, and I have one full setting and a few teacup/saucers. It was only made for a short time, unfortunately, so I haven't pursued finding more.

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/N__AUD.htm

My sister DID register for china, but she only got maybe one place setting. Then later she got a whole set of some beautiful antique stuff at a charity sale.

I kind of think that buying crystal and china at charity sales and small town antique stores is the way to go. you can often get a whole set of the stuff for less than one place setting new. That way, your registry can focus on more functional things, like heavy-bottomed cookware and good knives.

No registries for me because we don't need anything. I prefer cheaper, more practical dishes and silverware. I am picky about cookware. I have a cheap blender and mixer because I don't use them. My fiancée wants to try a Soda Stream. Does anybody own one? If so, are they any good? We are soda drinkers.

In a Consumer Reports special edition on high end appliances, the Breville stand mixer came out on top with the Kitchen-aid Pro model second and the KA Artisan third and the Hamilton Beach 6331 at $180 coming in fourth. I must admit that I wouldn't mind having a KA with a glass bowl, because I'm short. I'd not give up my old KA with the steel bowl though. Metal is better for meringues.

I've been married about 35 years and I've found a couple of china patterns that I'd love to get Burleigh Calico and Ansley Cottage Garden. Cottage Garden is no longer made, but you can get it at Replacements. Burleigh Blue Calico still is made, thankfully.

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/ayncoga.htm

The Duggars wouldn't know want to do with fine china and silverware.

karen77, most etiquette experts would say use your fine china for everyday. Isn't family dining enough of an occasion?

edited to delete unneeded word

When it can't go in the dishwasher it isn't!! haha

Well so far no thanks for my gift

They didn't? nst got them two or three different items and has gotten at least two thank-you notes by now. Those slackers!

They didn't? nst got them two or three different items and has gotten at least two thank-you notes by now. Those slackers!

well I did only buy them wax

:lol:

But they did register for it. Surely it means as much to them as a tea kettle lid! :wink-kitty:

But they did register for it. Surely it means as much to them as a tea kettle lid! :wink-kitty:

I wanted to get them a roll of duct tape but walmart did not offer shipping on it. as it was shipping was twice the cost of the wax.

Because it is small it's probably lost under all the piles of gifts they are yet to open. Once they get it I'm sure they'll send you something.

I know someone who sent Jill and Derick a box of nails off of their wedding registry and she just received a thank you card from them last week. :P The funny thing is Jill (I'm assuming it was her) wrote about her gratefulness and made sure to include the specific company name and exact number of nails in the box in her note :lol:

That's hilarious! :lol: I can remember being told to include personal details in a thank-you note when I was growing up, like what you like best about it and how you'll use it, but mentioning the number of nails in a box is a first for me. :mrgreen:

Maybe Jill does that as a way to remember who sent what, like if she got three boxes of nails, but two had 50 in them and the third had 100. :think:

Fine China can go in the dishwasher Bone China is actually tougher than stoneware. Silverware cannot go in the dishwasher, because of pitting. I have several sets of fine china, my wedding china and inherited sets.

http://www.marthastewart.com/268985/dishwasher-strategy

It depends on if there is anything else on it. My bone china (which has been haded down through our family) has gold embellishments, so it can't. And honestly it is 100 years old, so I wouldn't. We don't even eat off of it for special occasions.

I don't think my china is bone, but it was made in Japan and is also covered with gold leaf. For awhile, we were eating off of the dishes and matching serving plates. I've always been very careful to hand wipe the plates with a soapy wash cloth, no abrasives, but even so, a little more of the gold leaf gets knocked off every time. We also don't eat from them anymore for this reason.

Archived