IGNORED

Jessa & BinBob's registries: Asking for over $30,000

Paperplate

Maybe she is planning on running, she did ask for at least 6 or 7 large suitcases and 3 backpacks.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least it looks like they aren't getting much of what they registered for and given that the wedding is only a few weeks away, they may not get it all. I am guessing with each wedding, fewer people will buy gifts from Duggar-fatigue and going broke!

It's weird to put them in a registry, even in the USA. Really really weird.

Regardless of size or cost, wedding registries exist to help people build a home, I think, and tons of stuff jessa and Ben asked for does not qualify as that...it's just STUFF.

It is weird, but it is a lot less weird in the South. I personally haven't known anyone to put a gun on their registry, but I have heard of it.

How incredibly selfish can those idiots be? I am a FIRM believer in only asking for what you can't provide for yourself. If you're a young couple with nothing, ask only for what you need to get started. If you're an older couple with a couple homes you're merging, don't even expect a present from me when the point of a registry is to help you get started instead of funding your video game collection or upgrading your appliances that I can't afford to upgrade for myself. I practiced what I'm preaching, and when I got married, we clearly told everyone, and included this with the invitations, that we have what we need, so please, no presents, all we want is our loved ones and friends there, even though we also paid 100% of the wedding ourselves after saving up a couple years. Part of being an adult is being mature enough not to see your family and friends as an ATM where you put in a list, and get spat back out the luxuries you want.

I'm glad it's not just me being jealous with thinking this registry is atrocious. I never really had a wedding (JP ceremony with 2 witnesses, no one else even knew about it) much less a registry, so I was wondering if I just didn't get the whole wedding/baby registry thing. But clearly, it isn't just me.

Blasphemy! My KitchenAid stand mixer is amazing! I got it as a wedding present in 2000. The 6qt professional model. I love it. I use it all the time. I have all sorts of attachments and use them all the time too. It's 14 years old with heavy use and still works and looks great.

After 18 years of marriage, I still just have a hand mixer. I'd really like a stand mixer but they're so expensive. And my dream mixer is definitely not a Kitchen Aid. I did a lot of research a couple years ago and learned the newer ones tend to burn out fairly quickly if you use them for heavy stuff like bread. This is my dream mixer. One day....

Are they really? I always thought they were more of a status symbol because I read that they don't work as well as cheaper, less design-y mixers. But they do look really nice and if I was rich and had a big kitchen, I'd consider buying one. They are about $600 over here though. And handmixers are be really practical because you're not stuck with using them with just one bowl.

They really are amazing. I thought they were overhyped until my husband bought me one. I love that I don't have to stand there with a hand-mixer beating egg whites for meringue. I can start the mixer, and empty the dishwasher or something. It saves time.

Sure, Jessa has never had her very own brand-new toaster oven but that doesn't make it ok to be so unbelievably greedy now, and I am blaming her (and Bin, and their parents). It's not like she's been living in poverty. Her family can afford buy whatever they want.

Most young adults just starting out have never owned their own brand new toasters. Most of us start out with second-hand or buy $10-Toastmaster toasters from Target. It's almost a right of passage to start out with passed-down stuff, furniture you get for free from Craigslist, or whatever's cheap enough to buy from Ikea, and work your way up from that board on cinder blocks to a real coffee table. It makes you appreciate what you earn up to a whole lot more.

JB just bought JD a freaking PLANE, for crying out loud. It's not like they're hurting for cash.

OH MY GOD. I missed this.

If anything, the BB&B lady pushed them to buy more. Their rule of thumb is two gifts per guest. One for the wedding shower, one for the wedding.

Wedding shower? How about NO. Where I'm from, there's a bridal shower where friends and close relatives shower the bride with embarrassing things for her wedding night (think pasties and vibrators, basically just to make her squirm and everyone has a good laugh over how great-aunt Mildred made sure to give extra batteries with it) as a bonding thing, and then a wedding gift that's needed to help someone get started out, if you can afford it and their list is reasonable. Years ago when I was in another state, not my home state, people dreaded getting invitations because they knew they were expected to, at the least, send a congratulations card with a $50-check because society says it's rude not to send checks for every invitation you get. I remember when I was getting married, a lot of forums said to invite distant relatives you know won't come because of how many will still send a check because they will feel they have to and you an use that money for whatever. Greedy. Weddings too often turn into gift-grabs, and it's pretty disgusting.

My typical gift is to offer to pay for something or do something for the wedding. Last time I did all the flowers. It wasn't very expensive at all for me, and it saved the couple hundreds of dollars. Win-win. We all came out ahead.

You can only chop ONE thing at a time... two if Bin helps; unlikely, so back to one.

We have a couple boards so that, if I'm cooking, I can cut meat on one and veggies on the other. When I had just one, it was a pain to cut the meat first, and then remember I needed to cut salad stuff. You need to sanitize the board before cutting stuff you're consuming raw. Last thing I want to do is have to break out the disinfectant and scrub like crazy in the middle of cooking. Dedicated boards means I can go back and forth easier. I cook a lot, and never needed 3, especially 11.

Most young adults just starting out have never owned their own brand new toasters. Most of us start out with second-hand or buy $10-Toastmaster toasters from Target. It's almost a right of passage to start out with passed-down stuff, furniture you get for free from Craigslist, or whatever's cheap enough to buy from Ikea, and work your way up from that board on cinder blocks to a real coffee table. It makes you appreciate what you earn up to a whole lot more.

:text-+1: They're starting at the top as far as home stuff goes. It's all downhill from here for them. i can't imagine not being able to blame some of the rough weeks of adjustments and some stress of learning to live together as newlyweds on crappy belongings. It keeps the peace, both of them could bitch about the wobbly table instead of each other. :lol: And it's kind of fun to take an ugly piece of furniture from goodwill and make it awesome, and not having to care much if the kids beat it up playing. How stressful to keep all their "dream stuff" perfect. No thanks.

And what a head trip it must be for them, to think they could just walk into any store, scan something, and have it in their little daddy-provided home two months later. That's too much power. Too cheap for them. They're going to take stuff for granted and hate it all in a year, because they didn't EARN IT.

It's weird to put them in a registry, even in the USA. Really really weird.

I get it. I was raised shooting them as a hobby as well as hunting. But since registries shouldn't be the place where you expect people to fund your hobbies, the only reason I can think, that's legit, to put a rifle on a registry is if you were raise hunting your own meat to feed your family. In this case, a rifle would be a tool to feed your family, like butcher knives and kitchen goods.

I don't see them hunting at all.

I get it. I was raised shooting them as a hobby as well as hunting. But since registries shouldn't be the place where you expect people to fund your hobbies, the only reason I can think, that's legit, to put a rifle on a registry is if you were raise hunting your own meat to feed your family. In this case, a rifle would be a tool to feed your family, like butcher knives and kitchen goods.

Well, they´re always hunting for cheap PR. Maybe that does count? :lol:

They are opening a restaurant. Thats why they want 11 cutting boards, so many cups and silverware sets, the kitchenaid mixer, etc.

:lol: Uh oh! Grandma Duggar will not be happy - she says Jessa never follows recipes!

They registered for a rifle called deer thug, a camo rifle bag and a camo jacket (and maybe more that I didn't see), so they seem to be wanting to hunt. But they also registered for everything else under the sun ...

I agree that next season viewers should look out for the items they brought for Jessa and Jill being used at JB and Michelle's house

Don't the registries stay "live" for a couple months after the Blessed Event?

If not, we either need to do lots and lots AND LOTS of screen caps or print it out... The stack of papers will rival my copy of War and Peace!

Jesus First, Others Second, Yourself Last indeed...

If I remember I'll get the info off the registries shortly after their weddings again. Then we can see how much and what has been bought. And yes, I think unless the owners delete them, the registries stay online for a while. I can preserve them by saving them as a pdf or in some other way. I'm not going to make trees die for this!

Ben & Jessa didn't stop at the $70 toaster (Cuisinart® Metal Classic 4-Slice Toaster, already purchased), but they have also registered for a $100 toaster oven (Cuisinart® Toaster Oven Broiler with Convection, what I was actually talking about.). I'm sure you really need a thing like that when you already have an oven, a microwave and a toaster, right?

After 18 years of marriage, I still just have a hand mixer. I'd really like a stand mixer but they're so expensive. And my dream mixer is definitely not a Kitchen Aid. I did a lot of research a couple years ago and learned the newer ones tend to burn out fairly quickly if you use them for heavy stuff like bread. This is my dream mixer. One day....

Yeah, that's what I read too. But I don't do a lot of bread doughs anyway ...

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on the KitchenAid mixer issue! I'm still not entirely convinced though. Is a KitchenAid better than no stand mixer? Sure! Is a KitchenAid better than any other stand mixer? I don't know. I don't think that many of the people who rave about the KitchenAid (not necessarily here on the board, but just in general) have ever owned another stand mixer so they can't compare.

I really love the look of the Ankarsrum LadyBlue mentioned! If only I was rich!

The price [emoji33] [emoji33]

My family is heavy hunters too and my parents didn't get married until I was 17 so no registry but it just seems like, depending on the size and diversity of your guest list, it would be a very quick way to make waves and cause arguments (my family hunts and some of our friends are anti-gun no-meat-ever vegan-5ever hippie types and ya know, both sides just agree not to bring that kind of stuff up).

I also don't see them hunting or doing any such thing so it's really just weird. Along with the machete.

I want to know why these girls are registering for actual plates and glasses. We all know they are going to use paper plates and probably cups as well.

Man there are a ton of pots and pans on there. Where the heck are these two even going to live? If they get Josh and Anna's old house there isn't room for all that stuff.

ETA: Does anyone else find it funny that she registered for measuring cups when she never measures anything on the show? :lol:

I am the aunt that gives Kitchen Aid mixers for wedding gifts (provided they are on the registry) 2 in the last month :)

I think this is great. I love my Kitchen Aid mixer. It is awesome.

I agree with the others, this seems like a grab for stuff. I don't fault them for needing the basics to get their house going, that's what I did. I can say I didn't register for all the crazy stuff they did and if my mom had seen duct tape or batteries on there she'd have gotten onto me about it. Unacceptable!

I think we all had a few things on there that would be great to have, but figured we wouldn't get. I didn't even register for good China. I wanted some nicer dishes to use as "china", but to actually use and if they broke I wouldn't cry because I broke a $100 plate.

Some things that stuck out...

4 stock pots - quart, 12 quart, 16 quart, 20 quart

2 different griddles

Strawberry huller (???)

Berry serving spoon - because a regular serving spoon just won't do

3 different ice cream scoops

11 cutting boards

His and Hers luggage tags

8 Comforters --- 5 DIFFERENT Queen bed comforters + 1 King bed comforter + 2 Down Queen Comforters

REALLY!?!?!?

That stuff stuck out to me as well. I just use a spoon or knife to take the hulls off the strawberries. There's a ton of bedding on there!

I am known to have an "opinion-a-minute" and I am honestly dumbfounded by Ben and Jessas' registry. It's as if someone gave the scanner to a five year old and they just went click happy. I am 48 years old, an avid cook and homemaker and I don't have anywhere near the amount of stuff they are asking for. AND, I'm still happy with 'hand me downs' from friends and relatives. I mean 11 cutting boards, and how many comforters?? WTF?? This really paints a clear picture of what kind of grasp on reality these kids have. And where is mom, or anyone for that matter to jump in and offer guidance to these kids? Don't they see what people are saying even after the fact? They could have gone in to make things right. Aren't there websites (or better yet, common sense) that outline what it takes to 'set up house' for a newlywed couple? Geesh.

As an aside, I don't recall Anna doing anything like this. I guess the Kellers had a real mom in the ring in that family.

I agree with the person who wondered where they are even going to put all of this stuff!

Awhile back, a friend of mine got married. They had a registry that was basically divided into his and hers. The guy she married was a complete tool - he registered for underwear (!), video games, and a console only he would play, while she registered for several modest kitchen and bathroom staples. You know, stuff they would actually need for their new home. I gifted them with one of the kitchen appliances she asked for.

No one ever bought him his drawers or games, and he later complained about that. It's like, seriously? These weren't things you needed for a new home, they were just toys you wanted to play with and tried to use your wedding as an excuse to get them. At least my friend actually had her priorities straight.

And buy your own tightey-whiteys, you dummy.

Archived