IGNORED

Lori Alexander is going to haaaaate this

Take a look at the comments now. "Cynthia" (whom I love) gives a lovely example of making a sacrifice to spare her husband from pain. Lori rushes in to describe two "sacrifices" she considered making: one about buying a house and one about what to make for Steven's graduation party this month! She wanted spaghetti and Ken wanted chicken parmesan.

I don't know what to say. . . in each case she submits not because she loves Ken but because that is what God wants from her. Interesting. How lonely their marriage must be--pleasing their god instead of pleasing each other.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Take a look at the comments now. "Cynthia" (whom I love) gives a lovely example of making a sacrifice to spare her husband from pain. Lori rushes in to describe two "sacrifices" she considered making: one about buying a house and one about what to make for Steven's graduation party this month! She wanted spaghetti and Ken wanted chicken parmesan.

I don't know what to say. . . in each case she submits not because she loves Ken but because that is what God wants from her. Interesting. How lonely their marriage must be--pleasing their god instead of pleasing each other.

Honestly I don't think any god would care whether she served spaghetti or chicken parm.

Honestly I don't think any god would care whether she served spaghetti or chicken parm.

Her son might. I wonder if either of them cared what he thought about it.

Normal people would ask Steven, since the party is in his honor. But we ain't talkin' normal here, are we?

I say go apeshit bonkers and serve both! Celebrate! Live on the wild side! They happen to go together really well!

I am pretty sure that :fsm: would have an opinion on that! :lol:

Wow. I was actually going to make a joke about how their disagreements must be about what to eat for dinner if they are happening that often.

Turns out I would have just been describing reality.

Why does Lori think she is qualified to mentor couples and act as some sort of marriage counsellor. Who would take advice from someone who cannot honestly say she loves her husband.

Why not make both? I guess compromise is of the flesh. So ridiculous!

Why does Lori think she is qualified to mentor couples and act as some sort of marriage counsellor. Who would take advice from someone who cannot honestly say she loves her husband.

I guess other couples who don't love each other but feel they are not allowed to get a divorce...

Wow. Since I don't want to have to wade through their blog, what is the bit about buying a house? Does she want a new one or does he? Also, seriously, they fight over menu planning? As someone else said, why? What does sonny like best OR make both-- it's a party . And why? It's pasta vs pasta.

I just don't even know what to say. :? I'm not sure I would take marriage advice from a couple who turns what to make for dinner party into a huge conflict. The logical thing to do would be to ask Steven or if they couldn't ask him for whatever reason, fix what they think he would like best. This is, of course, assuming they know their son well enough to do this. They turned something that should be all about their son into a battle of wills to see who could get their way. She gave in, not because of what her son wanted or even because she loves Ken, she did it out of obligation.

Why not make both? I guess compromise is of the flesh. So ridiculous!

Here's what I would do:

- Make chicken parm

- Remove the chicken from Lori's serving

- Voila--close enough to spaghetti. If Lori pouts, just take her to the woodshed, Ken.

The more I read Lori's blog the more I love my husband (even with his flaws) just for not being a monster like Ken. Lori must have been truly awful if rational discussion = manipulation in his mind.

Ken, how does it make you feel that people find your marriage both ridiculous and pitiable?

I mentioned you and Lori to my orthodontist the other day when I went to get my retainer replaced. He thought the whole thing was hilarious. He'll keep an eye out for you.

They are beyond ridiculous. I have young children who don't squabble over such ridiculous bullshit. The idea that they hold themselves up as an example of anything other than "What Not To Do" is absolutely laughable.

They both need to get their heads out of their asses and ask their son. The party is for him after all. But that would be too simple (and probably fleshly somehow), so better to use it as an opportunity to prattle on about how submissive Lori is. :roll:

Lesson for Lori and Ken: My husband is doing some carb free thing. Great for him, but I'd never make it. Anyway, instead of being a gigantic 2 year old (as I'm sure both Ken and Lori would be), he has decided to eat the parts of the meals I cook that fit his diet. If it's not enough, he supplements with things he cooks. Easy. He gets what he wants and I don't have to cook two meals.

Lori (I am certain) would starve herself and then use her blog to make passive aggressive jabs at Ken and prattle on to her readers about how pious she is. Fuck that.

Here's what I would do:

- Make chicken parm

- Remove the chicken from Lori's serving

- Voila--close enough to spaghetti. If Lori pouts, just take her to the woodshed, Ken.

There are so many simple solutions to this issue but Lori had to make herself into a submission martyr.

What I learned today is that I need to forget about what works in my marriage and follow Ken's GOD'S word for marriage. Only then will I be truly as miserable happy as Ken and Lori.

Forget about "what works" for second and go to God and ask if you can trust Him at His Word for your life and marriage.

Forget about "what works" for second and go to God and ask if you can trust Him at His Word for your life and marriage.

But here's the thing, Ken: I DO.

I just don't happen to think God cares whether I make spaghetti or chicken parm. Well, I think he cares because I'm deathly allergic to the spaghetti, so I guess God doesn't want me to make that :P

But seriously. Sheila 4 LYF.

There are so many simple solutions to this issue but Lori had to make herself into a submission martyr.

Solution number one: "Steven, what do you want me to make for your graduation party?"

Done.

Solution number two (Steven doesn't care): Lori says, "Well, I have this freezer full of ground meat, so I was thinking spaghetti ... "

Ken whines, "But I wanted chicken paaaarrrrrmmmm."

Lori responds, "Ok, we can do that too, but I'll need you to go get the ingredients."

Ken responds, "Spaghetti is fine," or "Ok, no problem."

Done.

But then, there's no submission in either of those solutions and no one gets to claim victory as the supreme winner of the Alexander household.

Ken said the reason he wanted chicken parm was because he thought Steven deserved something fancier than spaghetti. So he totally wasn't being selfish. :roll:

This is how this would have gone in my godless house:

Ask Steven what he wants, he says he doesn't care. I choose spaghetti.

Husband: I was thinking maybe we should do something a little nicer and more special than that, we have spaghetti all the time. Would Chicken Parmesan be too much of a hassle for you to make?

Me: No,I had chosen spaghetti because we had the ingredients already, but I can go buy the stuff to make chicken parm.

Husband: I know you have your hands full with the rest of the party would you like me to go to the grocery store for you?

Me: That would be great.

See what fleshly communication, liking each other and just in general being nice humans can do to dissolve conflict Ken?

Lesson for Lori and Ken: My husband is doing some carb free thing. Great for him, but I'd never make it. Anyway, instead of being a gigantic 2 year old (as I'm sure both Ken and Lori would be), he has decided to eat the parts of the meals I cook that fit his diet. If it's not enough, he supplements with things he cooks. Easy. He gets what he wants and I don't have to cook two meals.

Another lesson: Boyfriend is vegetarian and I'm not. He's told me that I don't need to cater my cooking to him, but I really don't mind leaving the meat out (I'm a carbivore myself). So when he's around, I cook vegetarian because it's not a big deal and we don't both need to cook. I have never once been tempted to play the martyr over not eating meat. And he doesn't play the superiority card when I order a big hamburger at a restaurant.

What boyfriend and I do about different eating habits is different than what Mr. and Ms. Koala do because the individual circumstances are different. And we are all adult enough to figure out what makes the most sense when taking those circumstances into account.

Archived