IGNORED

Duggars, Duggars Everywhere - general discussion Part 4

happy atheist

You don't have to hit for blanket training to be a fucked up thing to do. Seriously no small child or toddler should be forced to sit on a blanket for 30 minutes without getting off.

Why not? You'd rather have them run around the house like feral children?

Teaching your children to sit quietly isn't child abuse if you ask me.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is not Christian about using a gift card?

They are super rich and don't need it. If they were actually putting others first they would have asked that all donations be given to people in need. Jim Bob runs a fairly tight ship when it comes to interviews, I doubt that it was a surprise. I think that is what Jesus would want too.

Why not? You'd rather have them run around the house like feral children?

Teaching your children to sit quietly isn't child abuse if you ask me.

It isn't developmentally appropriate to have a toddler sit still for that long. There is a happy medium between running feral and blanket training. I surmise that it would involve a mother who is capable of spending more time with her children than Michelle was. I come from a large family, blanket training wasn't needed, but an involved mother who watched children was.

Do you view ATI as a cult?

Extra gave them a gift card to go clothes shopping? I bet it wasn't to a modest store. These people are ridiculous.

The little girls run around like unkept kids anyway. J'Chelle doesn't give two shits about them. :wtf:

She doesn't admit to the "blanket training" that involves hitting the child if they move off of the blanket. She admits to training her children to learn how to sit still for short periods of time by giving them a toy or book and telling them not to move off a blanket. She said she does this by gradually increasing the amount of time. 5 minutes or so to start, up to 30 minutes. She never says she hits them.

People will claim she posted about hitting the kids on an internet blog before she was famous, but, there is no evidence.

That's because the blogs in question were scrubbed. If you poke around the Internet, you can still find articles from when JB was running for office that imply that the Duggars don't spare the rod:

http://www.webcitation.org/5iQIkhGeU

When 1-year-old Jason falls to the floor and starts throwing a fit, one glance from his mother and quick wag of her finger ends the incident almost even before it begins. His training should be through by age 12, when Jim Bob and Michelle hope all their children are trained well enough to stand alone.

I think it's nice that the kids got to go shopping and pick out a few nice things. You could tell they were getting tired/bored having to to to all these interviews.

I think it's nice that the kids got to go shopping and pick out a few nice things. You could tell they were getting tired/bored having to to to all these interviews.

They have enough money on their own that they can do this. The point was is that they claim to raise their children to live JOY, Jesus first, Others second, you last. When you are filthy rich and can afford to take your kids to pick out nice things, Others first, would be asking companies to donate gift cards to those in need, not take the gift cards yourself. Doing that is putting yourself before others.

I don't see what people find likable about this family. You have two parents who are exploiting their children for money, cult members, letting their younger kids be raised by the older ones, constantly dragging them around to display like trophies, discouraging all non-ATI approved education and career choices, discouraging anything outside the extremely limited ATI approved "college" education programs, and tons more. What is the appeal?

Kids will be kids! Mine climb on furniture and make forts out of the couch cushions... they climb on the counter if they can't reach things and need to make food (at least they are being self-sufficient.)

In this post you say kids will be kids, in your very next post you suggest that children would be running around like feral children. Make up your mind.

I'm quite familiar with kids being kids, having a few of my own- the complete lack of manners and respect regularly shown by the Duggar children (I won't give examples as many have already been presented) is not a case of "kids being kids". It's a case of kids being poorly behaved because they are under-stimulated and who are not properly parented.

What would be nicer is if the Duggars had used a few of their millions of dollars to buy their kids a few nice things and donated the gift card to a local charity. Surely that would also be the more Christian thing to do?

Nice isn't an adjective I'd use- selfish, self-centred, ignorant and greedy seem more apt.

Some of the leg-humper comments under the article are so naive. They seem to think we hate the Duggars because they are Christian and have a huge family. Don't seem to realize that neither of those things are the issue:

"I guess people get very upset about a non traditional family....you know one where the parents actually got married and they support their children."

"Is everyone you have ever attended an event and/or had a photo with a perfect human being???"

In the first book, J'chelle describes blanket training and says that when they go off of the blanket she administers a "correction". In To Raise Up A Child-speak, that means a whack with some plastic tubing. She says the type of correction is up to the parent. WHACK!

They have enough money on their own that they can do this. The point was is that they claim to raise their children to live JOY, Jesus first, Others second, you last. When you are filthy rich and can afford to take your kids to pick out nice things, Others first, would be asking companies to donate gift cards to those in need, not take the gift cards yourself. Doing that is putting yourself before others.

They accepted a gift and it's going to good use for the kids. The store happens to be below the television studio, they probably got paid for the endorsement. You're being awfully critical.

And you claim the kids are being exploited on TV, them complain about the family having money. Would you rather that Michelle & Jim Bob had 19 kids still living in that 3 bedroom house on a single parent income?

In this post you say kids will be kids, in your very next post you suggest that children would be running around like feral children. Make up your mind.

I'm quite familiar with kids being kids, having a few of my own- the complete lack of manners and respect regularly shown by the Duggar children (I won't give examples as many have already been presented) is not a case of "kids being kids". It's a case of kids being poorly behaved because they are under-stimulated and who are not properly parented.

Formergothardite and others said they run around like feral children and aren't well-behaved. I don't talk about people kids that way. I was being sarcastic because they complain when the kids sit still and are quiet, then they complain if the kids are happy, running around, and enjoying their childhood playing!

They accepted a gift and it's going to good use for the kids. The store happens to be below the television studio, they probably got paid for the endorsement. You're being awfully critical.

And you claim the kids are being exploited on TV, them complain about the family having money. Would you rather that Michelle & Jim Bob had 19 kids still living in that 3 bedroom house on a single parent income?

Considering the fact that Boob is into real estate, owned a used car lot and owns land with a cell phone tower on it I'm pretty sure they would have upgraded eventually. NOT TO MENTION...the tinker toy house was in the process of being built when TLC stepped in and "sped up" the process.

Formergothardite and others said they run around like feral children and aren't well-behaved. I don't talk about people kids that way. I was being sarcastic because they complain when the kids sit still and are quiet, then they complain if the kids are happy, running around, and enjoying their childhood playing!

My examples were clearly not just kids being happy, running around, and enjoying their childhood.

First of all, you do realize that this is a Duggar snark site don't you? Being awful critical of the Duggars is what we do here. Secondly, they probably did get paid, but since they do not need the money if they truly lived JOY, they would have said that the gift cards should be a gift to those in need instead of accepting them. Accepting gift cards that they don't need is hardly living JOY, now is it?

They have money because they exploited their children on television for it. There are a multitude of ways to earn money that does not involve exploited children.

I don't see what people find likable about this family. You have two parents who are exploiting their children for money, cult members, letting their younger kids be raised by the older ones, constantly dragging them around to display like trophies, discouraging all non-ATI approved education and career choices, discouraging anything outside the extremely limited ATI approved "college" education programs, and tons more. What is the appeal?

I did drink the Duggar kool aid when they first came out. Yes it was amazing to me that they can raise so many well mannered respectful children. They all looked happy and wasn't complaining. I use to defend them because I myself and as well as my husband came from a religious family. I didn't think much of the how JB and Michelle raised their kids, I just thought that they were very religious. I even thought JTTH that they mentioned on the show was a Christian retreat. I wanted to send my own daughter(yes sick I know) However as soon as I saw gothards name and began looking more into this family, the less I was impressed with them. I knew about gorthard since I was a teen. I knew how horrible his cult was. I couldn't believe the Duggars could called themselves a holy family following this man. I think fans like this family because of the# of kids they have and their religious beliefs. Most of the 19 kids and counting fans are Christians. TLC does some good editing on the show and JB and Michelle know how to avoid certain questions to keep fans drinking the koolaid.

[link=][/link]

J'Chelle actually admits that she blanket trained her kids? I'm surprised.

I don't understand why anyone follows blanket training. Babies are curious they are going to explore the world around them. It also disrupts the bond between a parent and child due to fear.If you want them to stay in one place get a playpen or a gate

I, for one, am glad that the young'ns can walk into a store and pick out cute little toys for themselves. That's something the older kids didn't get. If the Duggars having money now means the kids get full bellies and small personal items, I'm all for it. Now, accepting gift cards they don't need on top of 3 mil in savings? No. Donate that shit. And buy the kids trinkets anyway.

That is naive. She has a sub education, three children and no experience at anything but wife/mom. She would have no support system because her supports system is by and large ATI families. Plus, she loves Josh.

I still have hope for some of these fundie children. If they wanted out they could leave anytime they want. It's like a wife trying to leave her abusive husband. The parents install fear and expect their fundie children to stay at home doing nothing. Of course they were brainwashed into this fundie lifestyle. It's the only life they know, but soon some of them might get sick and tired of waiting for daddy to marry them off, hook u up with a job, and be expected to have lots of kids. It take courage to leave and they might be risking everything if they do leave, but there are tons of resources available that can help them.

Another thing that creeps me out is the "Duggar Family Bank" where any money goes to Mom and is recorded in a notebook and when anyone wants to buy things they have to get the money from J'chelle. I guess that ensures that they don't buy or do anything verboten...though J'chelle said it was because it was so gosh darned inconvenient to have all that loose change in the house. Mmmmmmhmmmmm.

I can't help but think that the show is good for the kids. They have the supervision of the cameramen now so they can't be abused (if that was every the case, we can only speculate) when they are around. They get to travel outside of middle-of-nowhere Arkansas to places other than ATI conventions. They get to see other cultures/lifestyles.

Archived