IGNORED

Duggars, Duggars Everywhere - general discussion Part 4

happy atheist

You're being awfully critical.

And you claim the kids are being exploited on TV, them complain about the family having money. Would you rather that Michelle & Jim Bob had 19 kids still living in that 3 bedroom house on a single parent income?

When they were living in the 3 bedroom house on Johnson Road, Jim Bob used $100, 000 plus of his own cash to self fund a run for the US Senate against Tim Hutchinson. They were building their current house at the time. They weren't rich but doing okay. I live in that part of Arkansas. Thought it a load of crap that he put his political aspirations ahead of decent housing for his kids. Didn't vote for him needless to say.

At that time I lived further south on Johnson road ..

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't watch the video, but to me the gift card thing seems like a case where everything the Duggars do is wrong just because they do it. If they had requested the gift card be donated to charity, there would be comments insisting that they are just trying to prove how extra holy they are and it was rude not to accept the gift card, which, in my opinion, it would have been. I think the more charitable, "Christian" thing to do would have been to accept the gift card but then donate an equal amount of their own money, or even to have a quiet word with someone after the cameras were turned off to say "thank you, but we would like to pay for this shopping trip ourselves and donate the gift card to someone who needs it more."

I didn't watch the video, but to me the gift card thing seems like a case where everything the Duggars do is wrong just because they do it. If they had requested the gift card be donated to charity, there would be comments insisting that they are just trying to prove how extra holy they are and it was rude not to accept the gift card, which, in my opinion, it would have been. I think the more charitable, "Christian" thing to do would have been to accept the gift card but then donate an equal amount of their own money, or even to have a quiet word with someone after the cameras were turned off to say "thank you, but we would like to pay for this shopping trip ourselves and donate the gift card to someone who needs it more."

I agree. Plus I think it wasn't a gift card really, if they then showed these adorable kids buying a bunch of cute and fashionable clothes at a store thT has the name plastered all over it. That's a commercial. They just give the gift card so they can work it into the show.

I think that if someone had just announced on TV that my family was worth $3, and then gave me a gift card; I'd immediately ask for the card to be given to a charity, along with thanks for the thought. And yes, to acknowledge the thought behind the gift, I'd definitely mention that I'd be taking my family to the store that donated the gift card and shop there. And if I was really classy, I'd let my family shop there, but secretly buy more items to donate to charity.

Formergothardite, what type of measurement are you looking for as far as my knowledge of the ATI lifestyle? I was homeschooled using the curriculum and went to a JTTH retreat with a few other homeschooled girls in my area.

The reasons I asked about how much you knew is because most people who gush on about the Duggars not being so bad are not aware of the teachings they live by. But since you do, what are your opinions of this lifestyle? Most people come out thinking it is an abusive cult that fucked their lives up.

Except what you described would never happen because Boob is an incredible tightwad. Seriously, can you imagine him saying "Thank you but we would like to pay for this ourselves"?

The gift card is not a big deal, but I am sure they took it happily and didn't think about donating it to someone else. That's not how they became millionaires.

Yeah, a few of the little girls do say "and Jill". I wonder if it actually means anything, or if they were just saying names.

I'm sure it does mean that Jill is in a courtship, but it happened after the announcement of Jessa's. (Kids tend to repeat what is seen going on around the house.) Also, it could explain Amy's cryptic message that love is in the air at te Duggar's house and that another Duggar may be in a relationship.

If they considered the priest a family friend and were constantly pushing him as a man of God, well, yes.

Rasputin!!!!!!

:o

I'm sure it does mean that Jill is in a courtship, but it happened after the announcement of Jessa's. (Kids tend to repeat what is seen going on around the house.) Also, it could explain Amy's cryptic message that love is in the air at te Duggar's house and that another Duggar may be in a relationship.

It saddens me if this is the case.

I think at this point in time Jill had the best shot of making it out alive. Her midwifery training gives her a valid skill base that she could use in the real world, not just fundie land. She's had a chance to have many interactions with people out side of the movement, and had a chance to lead a semi-independent life due to her work, i.e not having to tag along on every family outing, but getting some time to herself.

It wouldn't surprise me if she was being married off quick before she can become too worldly :cry:

It saddens me if this is the case.

I think at this point in time Jill had the best shot of making it out alive. Her midwifery training gives her a valid skill base that she could use in the real world, not just fundie land. She's had a chance to have many interactions with people out side of the movement, and had a chance to lead a semi-independent life due to her work, i.e not having to tag along on every family outing, but getting some time to herself.

It wouldn't surprise me if she was being married off quick before she can become too worldly :cry:

And to keep up with their frenemies the family Bates.

It would be nice if Jill was in a courtship with an adult, perhaps a missionary. If she was helping as a midwife in, say, Central America I think she'd be very happy. I doubt the TV cameras would show up very often.

Courtships, engagements, weddings, and babies are about the only things I can think of (realistically) that might boost ratings enough to keep the show going for awhile.

And to keep up with their frenemies the family Bates.

When was this? Oh this is exciting! Duggars vs Bates to see who can marry off their kids the fastest.

I find it interesting that the whole family is signing the oldest girls book. What if someone just wanted the oldest girls to sign it?

I find it interesting that the whole family is signing the oldest girls book. What if someone just wanted the oldest girls to sign it?

The package is "19 Kids and Counting". Too bad if someone just wants the oldest girls to sign it. That's not how they operate.

The package is "19 Kids and Counting". Too bad if someone just wants the oldest girls to sign it. That's not how they operate.

I think in Gothardland the idea is that the family is everything and the individual is nothing. If the Duggar kids realized that they were separate entities from their parents and siblings, then they might be tempted to rebel, and that just can't be allowed. Even Josh, who has theoretically done the "leave and cleave" thing is still seen as just as appendage of his parents.

Not really- or at least not as easily as you make it sound. She's been brain washed her entire life into believing that the way she lives now is the only right way to live. The concept of anything else being acceptable must be as alien to her as the suggestion of going to live at the bottom of the ocean.

Not to mention she has 3 small kids to feed, no money of her own, no real education, no skills, and no real work history to get a decent paying job. She could nanny or something but how would you support 3 kids on that.

For her to leave the lifestyle she would need tons of support. Who does she have in her life that would help her?

I think her and Josh will slowly become more fundie( but always be right wing conservative super christians) so there is hope that their kids will be able to live a more normal life and hopefully Mack can get an education

Not to mention she has 3 small kids to feed, no money of her own, no real education, no skills, and no real work history to get a decent paying job. She could nanny or something but how would you support 3 kids on that.

For her to leave the lifestyle she would need tons of support. Who does she have in her life that would help her?

I think her and Josh will slowly become more fundie( but always be right wing conservative super christians) so there is hope that their kids will be able to live a more normal life and hopefully Mack can get an education

Anna has three siblings who left the lifestyle. They would offer support, I'm sure. Suze stayed with Rebecca. Anna could also write a Duggar tell-all or get her own show about leave the Duggar life-style. Not that Anna leaving is likely to happen, but she isn't all alone in the world without options.

Anna has three siblings who left the lifestyle. They would offer support, I'm sure. Suze stayed with Rebecca. Anna could also write a Duggar tell-all or get her own show about leave the Duggar life-style. Not that Anna leaving is likely to happen, but she isn't all alone in the world without options.

Leaving was easier for Anna siblings because they're married to non-fundies. Anna has to get past Josh and his family. If she left her siblings would help her, but leaving to be hard to do.

Anna will never leave, as will none of the Duggar girls. They're too brainwashed to see what a screwed up religious cult they're part of.

Anna loves her life - at least, I think she does. She wants a ton of kids and wants to worship her husband. I think she's the least likely to go anywhere.

Maybe some of the youngest Duggars someday - when there is no TLC and the parents are older.

I think Anna is genuinely happy with where she is in life. Remember how last season she was talking about having 'baby fever' when marcus was maybe 6 months old? She has bought into the lifestyle and seems very content. It probably helps that she has it easy compared to many fundie women. The Duggar family fame has provided financial stability, a good home, and opportunities to travel that she never had growing up.

When was this? Oh this is exciting! Duggars vs Bates to see who can marry off their kids the fastest.

Amy announce on twitter that love is in the air at the Duggar's house and in an interview last year that another Duggar is courting.

Like I said, I still have some hope for some fundie kids. No not all of them will leave. Some of them already drank the koolaid and that's the only life they know. However not all of them are going to follow the fundie lifestyle. Especially once the real world chew them up and spit them out. There so many resource available to help them if they do decide to leave.

Leaving was easier for Anna siblings because they're married to non-fundies. Anna has to get past Josh and his family. If she left her siblings would help her, but leaving to be hard to do.

Of course it would be difficult for Anna to leave and it was easier for her siblings to leave. (I actually think the show has kept some of the Duggar kids around who might have rebelled and left.) But my point wasn't that it would be easy for her to leave. It's been said that Anna wouldn't have any support if she left. My point is that her siblings would be her support system. Three of them did leave, and Rebecca left with her husband. But since Anna seems content, so this all really unlikely to happen.

I really think there's some truth to Jordyn's (or was it Jenny?) slip-up. I predict a courtship announcement from Jill before the end of the season, maybe earlier if they want to upstage Alyssa Bates's wedding. Toddlers speak the truth.

Maybe that Skyler guy? He is a bit young for Jana...

Also, I predict a JD/Heidi Query relationship relatively soon too.

Archived