IGNORED

Duggars, Duggars Everywhere - general discussion Part 4

happy atheist

What sucks is that this family has been making the rounds on all of these talk shows/news shows and NOT ONE person has asked about the connection to Bill Gothard. I know we were all hoping some reporter/journalist would blow their connection to him wide open in the mainstream media. I just don't understand WHY no one will expose them. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Would you ask every catholic they talk to how they feel about child molestation charges faced by priests?

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you ask every catholic they talk to how they feel about child molestation charges faced by priests?

No I would not ask every catholic how they feel about child molestaion charges faced by priests. IF there was a catholic family that paraded around the country talking about how Godly they are and there was definitive proof that they were heavily involved with a priest facing molestation charges, then yes I would ask that family how they feel about child molestation charges faced by priests.

Just like always, the Duggars probably only agree to do interviews under the condition that there are no investigative or criticising questions. Frustrating, but not the reporter's fault.

I would ask a catholic who was still following a priest who had 50+ accusations against him of sexual misconduct about it. Why wouldn't you? The sexual misconduct is only part of the problem with ATI and Bill Gothard. The entire system is corrupted and dangerous. You wouldn't even need to bring up Bill Gothard, someone should question them about their thoughts on why most people raised in ATI/Quiverfull families speak poorly of the organization/life style. This is a family that are cult members promoting teachings of their cult leader, someone needs to question them about it instead of acting like it is all shiny, happy, joy.

Since when are Crocs decent shoes?

I have problem feet, possibly due to wearing a lot of high heels when I was younger or maybe just because. Either way, there are very few shoes I can wear that are comfortable. In fact, there are zero shoes that I can wear all day with complete comfort. However, I have a pair of Teva sandals that provide the most comfort and wearability. Those have become my "dress" shoes, while a good pair of athletic walking shoes are my other pair of every day foot wear.

So I give Michelle a pass because I don't know if she has problem feet like me, and perhaps Crocs are the only non-athletic shoes that are comfortable on her feet.

No I would not ask every catholic how they feel about child molestaion charges faced by priests. IF there was a catholic family that paraded around the country talking about how Godly they are and there was definitive proof that they were heavily involved with a priest facing molestation charges, then yes I would ask that family how they feel about child molestation charges faced by priests.

The difference between a Catholic family and the Duggars is this: even if there was a big Catholic family selling their lifestyle, the structure of the Church is such that it is only the image of the priest that has really been harmed by the scandal. The Church makes a big deal about the metaphysical difference between a priest and a layperson. A layperson, no matter how devout, doesn't have any say about the governance of the Catholic Church, except on a parish council level. ATI is entirely lay run. If a family says they are Catholic, most people know what that means and where it stands on the issues. Few people know what ATI is or what it stands for. The Duggars are selling a lifestyle without mentioning the brand in order to deceive people. When they make stupid comments, no one calls them out.

I hope this makes sense.

If they considered the priest a family friend and were constantly pushing him as a man of God, well, yes.

The older Duggar ladies need a crash course in public speaking. My youngest niece can speak better.

I don't think bringing up Gothard with the little ones present is at all appropriate. But, JB, Michelle, and the older kids needs to confronted about their connection to Gothard and and the things that he has done. By that I mean being painfully blunt and calling them out.

It's obvious that the family follows Gothard's teachings. TLC is too scared to call them out on it. These kids don't have a choice in what religion they follow. Its Gothardism or nothing. I wish TLC would confront them. Someone needs to call them out for their BS. It's been going on for too long.

Was just about to say exactly this.

Yes this makes more sense Cleopatra, thank you.

I don't think that most people are aware of ATI and perceive the Duggar's as being in a cult. They are perceived as being a wholesome family with Christian values. For a newscaster/interviewer on the Today show to sort of "attack" their way of life might make the newscaster look bad to the audience who only sees a wholesome Christian family.

If a question about their reaction to Bill Gothard's sexual harassment charges was asked, the Duggars would say that they believe in God and people make mistakes but that they follow the bible and are still Christian. It's not like they would defend Gothard.

Yes this makes more sense Cleopatra, thank you.

I don't think that most people are aware of ATI and perceive the Duggar's as being in a cult. They are perceived as being a wholesome family with Christian values. For a newscaster/interviewer on the Today show to sort of "attack" their way of life might make the newscaster look bad to the audience who only sees a wholesome Christian family.

If a question about their reaction to Bill Gothard's sexual harassment charges was asked, the Duggars would say that they believe in God and people make mistakes but that they follow the bible and are still Christian. It's not like they would defend Gothard.

Also, the Catholic Church is such a large and diverse organization that "being Catholic" can mean any number of things. The Kennedys are different than the Santorums in the way they practice their Catholicism. Mel Gibson even has his own breakaway chapel. Catholics from Latin America have different customs than those in Europe. Practices within the same country vary widely. Although the Catholic Church has a reputation for being tough on certain issues, it's widely assumed that not everyone follows certain teachings. For example, there are individual Catholic parishes that are very gay friendly, where LGBT people and their children are welcomed and celebrated, even though the "official" teaching discouraging same-sex parenting. At the other end of the spectrum are parishes where most of the congregants think that there hasn't been a valid pope since Pius XII and follow unapproved Marian apparitions.

With ATI, there is no such diversity. Every ATI family is supposed to be pretty much the same as any other family, from the manner of dress to the list of approved professions. Although Gothard doesn't claim infallibility or anything like that, Gothard had/has much more control about the particulars of his followers' everyday lives than the pope does. The Duggars have hinted for years about "the bible teacher" that they follow, but no one has ever questioned them further, presumably because most people assume that one minister is the same as any other minister. Yet, when the Duggars offer such sweeping condemnations and generalizations in their books, many of which are patently false, it seems like a responsible reporter should point this out. If the J'slaves are endorsing ATI products and services in their books, it does not seem out of place to call them out on it. I agree that the little kids are probably being used as a shield to prevent more probing questions, but it's time to put an end to that. I remember when Nadia "Octomom" Suleyman was on the Today show with her many kids, and the hosts didn't pull any punches for her. It's time to do the same for the Duggars.

It's obvious that the family follows Gothard's teachings. TLC is too scared to call them out on it. These kids don't have a choice in what religion they follow. Its Gothardism or nothing. I wish TLC would confront them. Someone needs to call them out for their BS. It's been going on for too long.

I wonder if JB had an inkling things with BG were not moral? Even though they follow his curriculum, standards and attend various events; JB does not sit on the board. Perhaps, JB was being paid by BG to stay with the organization to give it exposure; but not any longer believe in it?

Also, the Catholic Church is such a large and diverse organization that "being Catholic" can mean any number of things. The Kennedys are different than the Santorums in the way they practice their Catholicism. Mel Gibson even has his own breakaway chapel. Catholics from Latin America have different customs than those in Europe. Practices within the same country vary widely. Although the Catholic Church has a reputation for being tough on certain issues, it's widely assumed that not everyone follows certain teachings. For example, there are individual Catholic parishes that are very gay friendly, where LGBT people and their children are welcomed and celebrated, even though the "official" teaching discouraging same-sex parenting. At the other end of the spectrum are parishes where most of the congregants think that there hasn't been a valid pope since Pius XII and follow unapproved Marian apparitions.

With ATI, there is no such diversity. Every ATI family is supposed to be pretty much the same as any other family, from the manner of dress to the list of approved professions. Although Gothard doesn't claim infallibility or anything like that, Gothard had/has much more control about the particulars of his followers' everyday lives than the pope does. The Duggars have hinted for years about "the bible teacher" that they follow, but no one has ever questioned them further, presumably because most people assume that one minister is the same as any other minister. Yet, when the Duggars offer such sweeping condemnations and generalizations in their books, many of which are patently false, it seems like a responsible reporter should point this out. If the J'slaves are endorsing ATI products and services in their books, it does not seem out of place to call them out on it. I agree that the little kids are probably being used as a shield to prevent more probing questions, but it's time to put an end to that. I remember when Nadia "Octomom" Suleyman was on the Today show with her many kids, and the hosts didn't pull any punches for her. It's time to do the same for the Duggars.

The bolded is what I meant by my original post. Thanks for making it make more sense (if that makes more sense?) :) It just seems like they are immune to ANY type of media scrutiny. And I don't get it.

Edited to add by media scrutiny I mean they get called out on RO and other websites but no one touches them in a live on T.V. interview.

What sucks is that this family has been making the rounds on all of these talk shows/news shows and NOT ONE person has asked about the connection to Bill Gothard. I know we were all hoping some reporter/journalist would blow their connection to him wide open in the mainstream media. I just don't understand WHY no one will expose them. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I'm sure they have a rider that mainstream interviewers have to abide by. I imagine Bill Gothard/ATI/IBLP has always been #1 on that rider (FRC radio and its like excepted).

The Duggars can do no wrong. They are a perfect family with well behaved kids :D

It's true. You can see how naive she is and she can't do anything without Josh. She was only really taught how to be a wife/mom... which means gallavanting around on this publicity tour!

But she's also a grown adult. She can leave the fundie lifestyle anytime she chooses

But she's also a grown adult. She can leave the fundie lifestyle anytime she chooses

Why would she want to? She's perfectly happy. Has a husband who takes care of her. Doesn't have to work. Gets to raise her children. Has a strong religious foundation and spiritual wealth. She doesn't want to leave the lifestyle. I just think it must be tiring to travel with 3 young kids. To be honest, she has the support of Josh's enormous family, so she probably doesn't mind that much. This is what Anna knows, and she is happy with it.

The Duggars can do no wrong. They are a perfect family with well behaved kids :D

Everyone who interviewed them on this recent publicity tour remarked about how well-behaved the kids are. Why do you think otherwise? Because they run around and play/find creative ways to have fun and burn off energy other than sit in front of the television?

Everyone who interviewed them on this recent publicity tour remarked about how well-behaved the kids are. Why do you think otherwise? Because they run around and play/find creative ways to have fun and burn off energy other than sit in front of the television?

I think we have different views of being well-behaved. To me I would be horrified in my kids walked on tables, licked cabinets, jumped off cabinets and turned down food offered to them with "ewww." If my children acted like that I would think that I had failed in teaching them good manners and how to be polite. I don't blame the Duggar children though. I blame the parents for tossing them off to a sibling to raise instead of doing it themselves. These children also live a hectic lifestyle where they are constantly being drug around and paraded across stages like trophies. They are being raised in a religious cult and having their childhood's exploited on television so their parents can have more money. So for having to endure all that they are doing pretty well. Time will tell how what sort of long term damages this will have on them. It can't be healthy, though.

I'm sure they have a rider that mainstream interviewers have to abide by. I imagine Bill Gothard/ATI/IBLP has always been #1 on that rider (FRC radio and its like excepted).

Why would any reporter mention Gothard/ATI? Remember, these guys are being interviewed on the big network morning shows. The average 'Good Morning America' viewer doesn't have a clue who Gothard is or what ATI is about. Nor do they care. What they care about is hearing about the Duggar kids and seeing how they make a large family work. The Duggar family provides these shows with their 'feel good story' quota.

Not really- or at least not as easily as you make it sound. She's been brain washed her entire life into believing that the way she lives now is the only right way to live. The concept of anything else being acceptable must be as alien to her as the suggestion of going to live at the bottom of the ocean.

Why would any reporter mention Gothard/ATI? Remember, these guys are being interviewed on the big network morning shows. The average 'Good Morning America' viewer doesn't have a clue who Gothard is or what ATI is about. Nor do they care. What they care about is hearing about the Duggar kids and seeing how they make a large family work. The Duggar family provides these shows with their 'feel good story' quota.

30+ women coming forward to report sexual harassment, sexual assault, and inappropriate physical contact with underage girls by a the leader of a fundamentalist Christian organization should make the national news. It beyond time for men like Gothard, DPIAT, and other fundamentalist leaders, their organizations, and the politicians who back them to be brought forward. The world needs to know that this isn't a simple matter of religious freedom. It's cults and cult leaders who are causing great harm to women and children and it's all being funding by our government officials and the very wealthy. :evil:

It's the job of a reporter to know who your guests are. 99.9 percent of the population thinks it's crazy to have 19 kids. It's not crazy to ask JB and Michelle about the beliefs that motivate their having so many kids, when the average mainstream conservative doesn't feel a need to follow suite. They aren't Catholic or Mormon, the usual groups that people think of as having large families, so it would be important and interesting for the public to know what motivates them, especially since they're now denying that they're quiverfull.

Archived