IGNORED

Jessa Duggar's Courtship - Part 3

happy atheist

I thought so, too. And I agree with the above poster who suggested the Bates girls take the Duggar girls to shop for engagement/formal events!

Yes! The female Duggar formal uniform of a black A-line skirt and overly washed, pilled, jersey top is driving me crazy (we won't start on the footwear). I especially thought Jana stood out in Erin's wedding pics. C'mon girls, you've got money now. There are lots of nice dresses out there with knee length skirts and sleeves.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes! The female Duggar formal uniform of a black A-line skirt and overly washed, pilled, jersey top is driving me crazy (we won't start on the footwear). I especially thought Jana stood out in Erin's wedding pics. C'mon girls, you've got money now. There are lots of nice dresses out there with knee length skirts and sleeves.

ITA. How in the ham sandwich do the Bates girls dress better?

Francine, If you check out many of more the recent (within the past 8 months) Bates blog updates about courting/date nights, you'll see Erin and Alyssa wearing cute modern clothes and heels. They should do a whole episode devoted to the older Duggar girls shopping for cute modest clothes with the Bates girls. It may not fit in to their 'buy used, save the difference' ethos, but we all know that they don't really stick to that anymore. Mostly I think the viewers would love to see the girls out without their buddies, doing an age-appropriate activity with girlfriends.

They sew, don't they?

And as far as the Duggars, Michelle Duggar looked the worst at Erin's wedding. It was like she just showed up in her normal everyday clothes.

There were other Duggars (Josh et al) and guests who wore attire I felt was way too casual for a wedding. However, I live in New England and our wedding are mostly formal. So, maybe Michelle was dressed just fine for their type of wedding?

Totally off topic, but this is going to be my new substitute swear word now - it's awesome. :lol:

So speaking of what is considered appropriate/inappropriate dress for an event, I was thinking of something I read years ago in a trash paper, maybe the National Enquirer. Rapper Sean Combs hosted a party, and gave very explicit instructions in his invitation as to what should be worn. He stated that everyone had to be dressed formally, no sweats or pajamas, and even gave details about hygene. Everyone had to have manicured nails and toes, and their hair had to be done to his liking. Anyone who broke the dress code would be turned away at the door.

I always thought this was high-handed and rude, if true, but I also had to wonder who he was inviting that this would even be a concern. Was he expecting a hoard of trolls to show up on his doorstep?

Is it normal nowadays to expect a certain type of dress code of one's guests at an event? Or is this considered rude, outside of a costume party invitation?

At one point most party invitations included the dress standard and people knew what that entailed. Terms such as black tie included all the info needed to dress properly. There is a trend to think all of that is outmoded and instead anything goes. Semi-formal used to mean dressy dress but short and formal was a long really formal dress. Today many people don't even follow that convention so dress information on invitations isn't always useful. Too often casual and business casual are the terms used and while I don't interpret that to include loungewear, sweats, or pajamas many people do. I haven't adjusted to seeing people over the age of two out in public in pajamas yet so I'm and old fogey apparently.

Until recently, nearly all of the weddings I've been to have been 1. Jewish, 2. at night, and 3. formal events at hotel ballrooms or other similarly fancy places, so I've worn formal dresses I saved from high school dances. Now that I've started going to church weddings that begin during the day, I've noticed a major difference in attire. Even though I don't wear the formal dresses to those weddings, I still feel way overdressed compared to other people. Recently, I went to a church wedding that was the first local wedding I've been to in my new town. I wore what I call my "Mad Men Betty" dress--New Look silhouette, black and white stripes, thick black belt, black shrug. My husband wore a suit and tie. When we got there, the 20-30 year olds looked similarly well-dressed, but a lot of the older adults were wearing T-shirts and jeans. I'm not the most traditional person ever, and even I was shocked by that. Maybe it's regional or cultural. People actually dressed nicer as a group at the next wedding I went to, even though it was outside at a state park and the couple specifically requested casual dress.

In the second Duggar book, Jichelle talks about how they wear the same clothes wherever they go, casual enough to have fun but dressy enough to "look nice". My guess is they have nothing in between suit/bridesmaids dress and jean skirt/polo shirt.

It's at these moments when I ask myself: What would Emily Post say?

Ben is obsessed with abortions for the same reason that most fundies are obsessed with abortion: it's the barometer of the cultural wars. Abortion represents all that is wrong with the world (according to fundies): fewer children, female reproductive autonomy, and promiscuity (which fundies believe is the reason people get abortions). Notice that fundies typically don't protest or fret about going to war (wonder how many unborn and post-born babies are killed in one missile strike?), nor do they seem as concerned with the plight of the 11 million children that die every year from poverty. Nope, their focus is on forcing women to have unneeded ultrasounds, stripping women of their personal autonomy once they have a zygote in them, and ensuring our teens never know how babies are made.

Abortion has never been about "life" for fundies, it's represents the changing social fabric of our society. In the back of their minds, if they can combat abortion, then women will go back to their homes, gays will cease to exist and everything will be right with the world.

If fundies truly cared about the "sanctity of life", they'd be focusing money and energy on aid to poor countries for hospitals and water sanitation facilities because the number one cause of death for children under the age of 5 is diarrhea. They'd advocate for peaceful and nonviolent resolutions to the world's problems (rather than being so gleeful about the destruction of other countries).

Of course, I do not include all religious persons in this type of hypocrisy. Many religious organizations do try to combat poverty and campaign for peace around the globe. However, I think fundies experience a cognitive dissonance between their "pro-life" stance and their world views. Fundies may talk about the sacredness of life with one hand, and be all smiles about the bombing of Iraq with the other. I feel disgusted by their hypocrisy. Is life only sacred when it's in an American woman's womb? Must be true to a fundie.

Brilliant.

I agree that nobody follows dress codes anymore. I've been to several professional conferences where it specified business casual, and also specified no jeans, and yet, there are even people there in shorts and everything in between. It annoys me when I take the time to dress appropriately, and it looks like they just rolled out of bed.

I don't think the Duggar women dress any better or worse than the Bates women. In fact I think the Bates' dressed worse until reality tv showed up.

I have no idea what they dressed like before reality tv showed up, because that's the only way I know them... and through their web presence.

I think the Bates will always be know by the clown dresses they wore on their first Duggar show appearance, when they went to Branson. The younger girls still dress on occasion in matching Michaella created dresses. That was probably 5 years ago.

I've been impressed with how the Bates girls dress when they go out. Nice dresses and shoes, while I only see the Duggar girls in casual t-shirt type tops and skirts. They seem to wear flip flops or flat shoes. There seems to be a basic Duggar girl uniform for any occasion.

I guess it depends on what you consider "better dressed". Everything is relative.

Looking at Ben's facebook today and saw two things. he seems to be working for a Black woman insurance broker now. And he's promoting some "school" called "New Geneva Christian Leadership Academy" which seems to be yet another un accredited college.

Their mission is

New Geneva is dedicated to the advancement of the Christian Faith and Biblical Law for a Christ Centered societal order.

Through scholarship, and the application of God's Law-Word to every area and institution of human existence, New Geneva's students are poised to become the men and women God has called them to be.

.newgeneva.us/Mission%20Statement.htm

This is under the umbrella of The Institute for Theonomic Reformation. .hisglory.us/

Here is their mission statement hisglory.us/ITR_mission_statement.htm

And their tactical Playbook hisglory.us/Tactical%20Manual/christian_tactical_playbook_index.htm

Looking at Ben's facebook today and saw two things. he seems to be working for a Black woman insurance broker now. And he's promoting some "school" called "New Geneva Christian Leadership Academy" which seems to be yet another un accredited college.

Their mission is

.newgeneva.us/Mission%20Statement.htm

This is under the umbrella of The Institute for Theonomic Reformation. .hisglory.us/

Here is their mission statement hisglory.us/ITR_mission_statement.htm

And their tactical Playbook hisglory.us/Tactical%20Manual/christian_tactical_playbook_index.htm

Hate to break it to you, Benny Boy, in a court of law biblical law is trumped by State law, which is trumped by Federal law. :disgust:

She'd be speechless.

Yeah, that. ^

Thanks for your answers. Might seem silly, but I got to thinking about this the other day when my friend told me she spent hours getting ready for a formal wedding. When she arrived, she was horrified when she saw several people who showed up fresh from their construction work sites covered in dried mud, concrete, and without having showered.

Maybe there's something to be said about the expectations people have in dressing for a formal event, even if it is in questionable taste to actually bring it up.

Hate to break it to you, Benny Boy, in a court of law biblical law is trumped by State law, which is trumped by Federal law. :disgust:

He peddles the VF Theonomy party line. I hope for her sake he outgrows it.

He peddles the VF Theonomy party line. I hope for her sake he outgrows it.

It hits on the whole 7 mountains (spheres/pillars) dominion/theonmy "thing" about taking over the world for God.

Of course, I'm sure that is why the Duggars are on TV, in part. To take over entertainment for God. Oh, and the money....

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like it, but it fits Jessa I think. One thing Boob and Mullet were good at was choosing names for the J-slaves. Jana Marie sounds very pretty and soft I think, Jinger Nicole sounds spunky and Jill Michelle sounds upbeat and cute.

Yeah, their names do fit them very well :)

Jinger is a really weird name, but it has grown on me, just because it suits her personality so much.

Archived