IGNORED

Jessa Duggar's Courtship - Part 3

happy atheist

I'm kind of wondering if they are engaged. Ben just changed his Facebook profile picture to another one of him and Jessa and he's wearing a pretty spiffy suit (these guys seem to like to go all out and dress up and such when they propose). Hmm...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm kind of wondering if they are engaged. Ben just changed his Facebook profile picture to another one of him and Jessa and he's wearing a pretty spiffy suit (these guys seem to like to go all out and dress up and such when they propose). Hmm...

If they are they won't announce it til just before the next season airs - it will be the special Today Show announcement to kick off the season.

With all do respect, YPestis, kids Ben's age raised in that world don't think that deeply about it or any issue. They do what they are expected to do. But, in my experience, (and I taught at a Christian high school for six years, so my experience is a pretty large sample group, not merely a few anecdotes), the most vocal kool-aid drinking teens rarely become kool-aid drinking adults. They seem to become disillusioned later. I could give you a long list of examples from my students at that school. The winners of the annual "best Christian" awards (not called that, but that is what it meant) are the most progressive adults of all my former students that I have been in touch with.

That's me. I was quite famous for my very "strong" anti abortion speech in public school (speech was part of the curriculum each year). I also was involved in running evangelistic activities. SUPER involved in church and church events.

I transferred to Christian school for the last couple of years. Was super Christian then too, helping run events like prayer meetings, and the evangelism efforts (cause lukewarm Christians, guys). Went on to do a missions trip to SE Asia with the school (and a few later). Toyed with going full blown fundie - I remember having serious discussions with my equally faithful roommates about the fact that quiverfull seemed to have merit, but how I would balance it with full time missionary work. Eventually left the church when in Bible college, training to be a long term missionary.

I'm now a liberal, feminist agnostic. So maybe there is hope for Ben. OTOH, getting to be a "Duggar" won't help that.

That's me. I was quite famous for my very "strong" anti abortion speech in public school (speech was part of the curriculum each year). I also was involved in running evangelistic activities. SUPER involved in church and church events.

I transferred to Christian school for the last couple of years. Was super Christian then too, helping run events like prayer meetings, and the evangelism efforts (cause lukewarm Christians, guys). Went on to do a missions trip to SE Asia with the school (and a few later). Toyed with going full blown fundie - I remember having serious discussions with my equally faithful roommates about the fact that quiverfull seemed to have merit, but how I would balance it with full time missionary work. Eventually left the church when in Bible college, training to be a long term missionary.

I'm now a liberal, feminist agnostic. So maybe there is hope for Ben. OTOH, getting to be a "Duggar" won't help that.

Exactly, he won't be exposed to other people and ideas, and having married the ATI princess he'll be even more invested in remaining super fundie. And a good chunk of his livelihood will rely on his devotion and conformity, be it TLC cash, support from JimBob or the pulling power of his wife in bringing fundie customers to whatever business he will run. Soon enough Jessa will have four kids under five and be giving talks about motherhood and marriage at IFB churches and they'll both be even more committed to the culture.

[attachment=0]1013277_741822462514053_1457315289_n.jpg[/attachment]

My money is on them being engaged. I hate to see things move so fast for Jessa, but they have to fit it into a season or 2... Not to mention it doesn't matter because there's really no way she can get out of it now that it's been televised.

I feel really bad for Jessa's lot in life right now. Seeing Michael Bates in a fundie courtship makes me happy, because she seems completely made for the job. Jessa, OTOH, seems like she wants to bolt and find the lifestyle that would best suit her, but it doesn't look like she'll be able to.

I'd loved to see Boobs face when he first heard about another courtships going on in the Bates house!

[

Seeing Michael Bates in a fundie courtship makes me happy, because she seems completely made for the job.

I'd loved to see Boobs face when he first heard about another courtships going on in the Bates house!

kurt_very_forced_smile.gif

or

tumblr_mm5t67GvOX1riahmqo1_400.gif

and because i'd rather look at britney spears' j'chelle face than j'chelles - here is what j'uterus would have done:

brit1_zps8a07ffcf.jpg

I can only see what Jessa's wearing from the shoulders up, but it looks so casual compared to Ben's spiffy suit. The Bates girls need to go shopping with the Duggar girls and show them how to dress nice for spiffy dates... Then again, Boob probably needs to loosen his deathgrip on the family monies so that they can afford courtship-ready wardrobes.

Ben cleans up well and looks slightly less creepy in the new pic.

I can only see what Jessa's wearing from the shoulders up, but it looks so casual compared to Ben's spiffy suit. The Bates girls need to go shopping with the Duggar girls and show them how to dress nice for spiffy dates... Then again, Boob probably needs to loosen his deathgrip on the family monies so that they can afford courtship-ready wardrobes.

Ben cleans up well and looks slightly less creepy in the new pic.

Dim Bulb will never loosen his grip on the money.

Jessa never struck me as an outdoorsy type of girl. Guess you have to keep your guy happy...

Eh, I'm not outdoorsy but my husband totally is. Over the years I've sucked it up and gone hiking with him, while he's sucked it up and sat inside by a fire with a glass of wine for me. This one thing I can't fault Jessa for, sharing what the person you love loves to do is just what couples do. If she really hated outdoorsy stuff, I hope he would not force it on her. Just like when two minutes into one hike I saw a snake and flipped my shit, my husband let us just quit rather than forcing me to keep going.

That pic of Jessa and Ben looks like an engagement announcement photo to me. I'm just saying.

I thought so, too. And I agree with the above poster who suggested the Bates girls take the Duggar girls to shop for engagement/formal events!

I thought so, too. And I agree with the above poster who suggested the Bates girls take the Duggar girls to shop for engagement/formal events!

Seems her good taste in a dress for Erin's wedding was a one time thing.

I think if someone were to slip up if they are engaged would be Smuggar or Ben. Seems those two can't keep their mouths shut.

I think if someone were to slip up if they are engaged would be Smuggar or Ben. Seems those two can't keep their mouths shut.

or Famy

Seems her good taste in a dress for Erin's wedding was a one time thing.

Maybe she raided a Bates gal's closet. And maybe Erin will have pity on her and give her some pre-pregnancy hand-me-downs. Cause we all know it shouldn't be long before Fetus Cherin is announced.

or Famy

I'm thinking one of Ben's relatives on FB who posts a congratulatory message that stays up for a few hours before Ben scrubs it. It's possible that not all of his family members know that there's a gag order imposed so as not to spoil a reality show "plot."

Or Amy

I would've said Boob also but I don't think he'd jeopardize his ratings by letting it slip early. He'd rather have everyone glued to their tv's for the announcement. JMO

Archived