IGNORED

Jessa Duggar's Courtship - Part 3

happy atheist

Hmmm, she's hiding her ring finger in all those pics...

I noticed that, too. Those pictures were from October. Do you think they were engaged by then? When did those purported engagement start showing up?

ETA: Fundies wear their purity rings on the same finger, right? (I seem to remember something about Anna having to remove hers when Josh proposed). Maybe she was trying to cover her hand to deter ringgate 2013/2014, especially from Ben's family who may not be familiar with the whole purity ring deal.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of the women wear jeans/shorts etc except maybe his mom, who is only seen in skirts. Even bens sisters wear jeans/shorts. The women in his family also work and drink margaritas and are otherwise normal. Ben's parents are very conservative but I think Ben will out-conservative them all. He's obsessed.

So he's really marrying into the Duggars, not the other way around...

I wonder if he'll insist on no work, all skirts for Jessa? Or could this be a chance for some growth for her, and just going to a lot more abortion rallies?

Maybe if he does become a genuine pastor, she can be like the first lady and have some projects of her own, like some pastors wives do...

So he's really marrying into the Duggars, not the other way around...

I wonder if he'll insist on no work, all skirts for Jessa? Or could this be a chance for some growth for her, and just going to a lot more abortion rallies?

Maybe if he does become a genuine pastor, she can be like the first lady and have some projects of her own, like some pastors wives do...

All indications seem to be that Ben wants to go more fundie and has all the zeal of a convert. I really really don't see him pulling Jessa towards less extreme Christianity, I see him wanting desperately to be part of the conservative fringe and aligning himself with Duggar style religion whilst moving away from the less conservative views of his family.

I actually don't get that vibe at all. As a matter of fact I can say with absolute certainty he is not in college for anything ministry. NPCC doesn't have a ministry degree. Most likely, his new job with the real estate company is tied to his degree, especially since some of the degrees you have to have worked in the field some before you graduate.

Don't you have to already have a four year degree before you can get into a seminary? I know at least with mainstream religions you need a degree, then a Masters of Divinity degree before becoming ordained.

Don't you have to already have a four year degree before you can get into a seminary? I know at least with mainstream religions you need a degree, then a Masters of Divinity degree before becoming ordained.

I think that is true. My Rabbi has a PHD. But most rabbi's that I know of don't.

You need a BA to get into seminiary or divinity school and some of them require a master's, depends on the program.

The only way you can avoid that - that I know of - is going to a school that has a University AND Seminary and doing one of their dual programs. Kind of like going to get your PHD.

I view Ben's religious fervor as a way to ensure JB's blessing. Hopefully, he will slide back into fundie-litedom as time passes.

I saw a note he wrote on fb about Calvinism that was dated July 2012 so he has been really into it for a while. Lots of religious discussion for years, with a very cocky attitude about it.

I doubt he's faking the religion stuff.......how else could he be approved? Jessa has never met anyone who doesn't feel that way, remember. She has likely never given it all any serious thought--that's just the 'Right" way.......

I saw a note he wrote on fb about Calvinism that was dated July 2012 so he has been really into it for a while. Lots of religious discussion for years, with a very cocky attitude about it.

He'd seems like the standard think-he-knows everything 18 year old. Really into spewing about religion and conservative politics. I went to a high school full of passionate republican Christians. Its been fun to watch as college goes on how a ton of them have changed their opinions and are far more moderate, quite liberal in some cases.

Sadly, while he's views are by no means permanent (who really is still their 18 tear old self?) What will become of him depends on the company he keeps, and currently that's very conservative Christians. Its unlikely he will move very far from his current path, but the level of ridiculous is open for debate.

Re the Daily Mail - I hate it when these idiots (fundies) describe their version of courtship as "traditional'. No, it's not really, the whole "no kissing" before marriage and side hugging seems to have been thought up over the past 25 yrs by people like Gothard and the VF crowd. Ma and Pa Duggar appeared to have dated and, omg, touched before being married.

Re the Daily Mail - I hate it when these idiots (fundies) describe their version of courtship as "traditional'. No, it's not really, the whole "no kissing" before marriage and side hugging seems to have been thought up over the past 25 yrs by people like Gothard and the VF crowd. Ma and Pa Duggar appeared to have dated and, omg, touched before being married.

What part of reading the texts between the courtees is traditional? Ma and Pa Duggar did not have this kind of intrusion when they courted.

"Several other young men attempted to woo Jessa before the congressman-turned-realtor, Jim Bob, approved of Ben.

'He's the first one she has shown interest in that has a spiritual focus and legitimate calling about ministry work,' the 48-year-old said."

Hmm. So there were men who approached JimBob who Jessa was interested in but they didn't pass his test.

What part of reading the texts between the courtees is traditional? Ma and Pa Duggar did not have this kind of intrusion when they courted.

...because "they" didn't "court"! Michelle and JimBob dated like most of us. He was a dorky, never dated in his life Bible sharing boy; she was a just born again cheerleading, pant wearing girl. They dated and went to formals! They were pretty typical teenagers. Now, "they" set the standards for interacting with the opposite sex. if I were one of there children; I would challenge their policy and show them pics of their past!

It annoys me that none of these articles have ever quoted Jessa or interviewed her. Shes a bigger part of this relationship than her parents are, but they are the ones that are quoted.

I want to hear what Jessa thinks.

"Several other young men attempted to woo Jessa before the congressman-turned-realtor, Jim Bob, approved of Ben.

'He's the first one she has shown interest in that has a spiritual focus and legitimate calling about ministry work,' the 48-year-old said."

Hmm. So there were men who approached JimBob who Jessa was interested in but they didn't pass his test.

Yeah. Wasn't there something about that in one of the earlier specials (before they had a show)? I thought Jim Bob had mentioned that people had emailed him about wanting to court/date/side-hug/whatever his daughters. And if I'm remembering it correctly the girls thought it was pretty weird, haha.

Yeah. Wasn't there something about that in one of the earlier specials (before they had a show)? I thought Jim Bob had mentioned that people had emailed him about wanting to court/date/side-hug/whatever his daughters. And if I'm remembering it correctly the girls thought it was pretty weird, haha.

This quote implies Jessa was interested in some of them though.

I think the Daily Mail would probably jump at the chance to start pseudo advocating for "traditional" courtships. They'd have to loose the fundie Christian side but they'd definitely go for "traditional values" courtships. Right along side other articles featuring teen celebs in short skirts so all sections of their readership are satisfied. One or two of their columnists seemed huge fans of one of the purity ring organisations and cheerlead their British arrival a few years ago but I don't think it came to much.

Not only did Ma and Pa Duggar have opportunities to be regular strong Christian teens, many actual Victorians got more of a chance to get to know their intended before betrothal/wedding, because they had the social structures designed for young people to meet and court (and sometimes flirt).

It annoys me that none of these articles have ever quoted Jessa or interviewed her. Shes a bigger part of this relationship than her parents are, but they are the ones that are quoted.

Not without her headships approval. :naughty:

Especially since the article's title is "Jessa Duggar opens up about her Courtship"!!! Um...no she doesn't, her parents do!

There was nothing new in that article and Michelle and Jim Bob need to shut the hell up and let their daughter speak for herself. They look like attention whores.

Archived