IGNORED

19 Kids and Counting 2013 - The Duggars Do Part 2

happy atheist

But John is an adult, and if he wanted to court/get married while the show was still running, he could put his foot down and say he didn't want any of it filmed. It definitely does depend on his personality and how assertive he is, which is difficult to tell from what we see on the show. He definitely has more agency in the matter than he adult female siblings, though. :(

Quite true that he has more agency as a male and plus as an adult he has the right to say "no" to his family. However this is a family where the young adults don't know that they are adults or are allowed to; the parents still hold considerable sway over them emotionally even if they don't legally. We don't know how much hell is raised behind closed doors when there are conflicts between J'parents and the kids, but I suspect that a lot of nasty shit goes down. He might decide it's easier to defer until the show is over rather than fight the J'parents. Plus he's young enough so he can bide his time and get himself established first.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

other female fundies have said adios before... jill is happy enough being able to do what she seems to truly enjoy and jessa and jinger are complacent with no apparent ambition or intellectual curiosity for, well, anything and in the case of the former it goes double . jana is a mystery.

Did anyone see the new video with Joy showing the family's instruments collection?

nokidsmom wrote:

When Anna came on board, everyone both inside and outside the family got to see what to expect when if they get married and the show is still running. So it is likely that other fundie girls are avoiding Duggar boys like the plague right now because they know their entire lives post-marriage will be filmed and they will having nothing to say about it. Their prospects may improve after the show is over but who knows, other fundie families probably view the Duggars as crass attention-grabbers and may want none of their kids marrying into the family ever.

I think some fundie girls would be avoiding Duggar boys like the plaque, say if they're shy or wary of Michelle or know they wouldn't want to be filmed giving birth on a toilet, but not all. Girls from leghumper families might be encouraged to marry them. The families would get closer to their heroes and the daughter would be pretty much guaranteed a solid roof over her head, enough to eat, basic medical care, etc. It would be interesting to find out what the real opinions of the Duggars are among ATI families.

Quite true that he has more agency as a male and plus as an adult he has the right to say "no" to his family. However this is a family where the young adults don't know that they are adults or are allowed to; the parents still hold considerable sway over them emotionally even if they don't legally. We don't know how much hell is raised behind closed doors when there are conflicts between J'parents and the kids, but I suspect that a lot of nasty shit goes down. He might decide it's easier to defer until the show is over rather than fight the J'parents. Plus he's young enough so he can bide his time and get himself established first.

Michelle has said many times that god gave them the show as a ministry to others. Their calling is to show the world the joy of eleventy kids and counting, jebus, and how they all love eachother and pickles. John is not allowed to say "my will is greater than thy will." His ass will be filmed until god tells TLC to stop.

I think some fundie girls would be avoiding Duggar boys like the plaque, say if they're shy or wary of Michelle or know they wouldn't want to be filmed giving birth on a toilet, but not all. Girls from leghumper families might be encouraged to marry them. The families would get closer to their heroes and the daughter would be pretty much guaranteed a solid roof over her head, enough to eat, basic medical care, etc. It would be interesting to find out what the real opinions of the Duggars are among ATI families.

I hate to admit to reading this dumbass book, but in the Sister Wives book, it says that the Browns received a lot of kickback from their church because some people thought they were "exposing things that are sacred." I imagine even if they were as high ranking in Gothardism as the Browns are in AUB (which I don't think they are), there has to be some of the same sentiment directed at them. They consider authority, literally, sacred, and the Duggars are parading their ideology, even if not their members and "secrets", around for the world to see. At the very least, they're probably attaching more than irony to the fact that the Duggars claim not to believe in worldly entertainment, but then agreed to become worldly entertainment. I think that the Duggars are probably viewed as not just crass, but even (secretly) blasphemous in their circles.

I hate to admit to reading this dumbass book, but in the Sister Wives book, it says that the Browns received a lot of kickback from their church because some people thought they were "exposing things that are sacred." I imagine even if they were as high ranking in Gothardism as the Browns are in AUB (which I don't think they are), there has to be some of the same sentiment directed at them. They consider authority, literally, sacred, and the Duggars are parading their ideology, even if not their members and "secrets", around for the world to see. At the very least, they're probably attaching more than irony to the fact that the Duggars claim not to believe in worldly entertainment, but then agreed to become worldly entertainment. I think that the Duggars are probably viewed as not just crass, but even (secretly) blasphemous in their circles.

Yeah, I can see how fundies would feel that way about the Duggars. Television in general is considered a tool of evil throughout much of this subculture. If you were a young fundie lady, would you feel comfortable courting a guy who plans to put you on TV, assuming your headship is even willing to allow it in the first place?

The Browns were told by their church to not do the show. But by then, it was too late. They had signed a contract and were filming.

I think you're giving John David a bit too much credit. He's a dugger/hick/slave only doing what dipshit and clowncar tell him to do.

it used to be jinger who was the end all and be all to watchers for long while but her sour puss eye rolling got old eventually and the fact she is not after all the adventurous rebel everyone made her about to disillusioned many people. people are doing the same thing the joy now.

Haven't we heard from some other former ATI people that the Duggars are considered to be too worldly now?

I kind of remember that. I remember another FJer who lives in the same area as the Duggars said that some of their fundie homeschooling buddies have grown to dislike the Duggars.

it used to be jinger who was the end all and be all to watchers for long while but her sour puss eye rolling got old eventually and the fact she is not after all the adventurous rebel everyone made her about to disillusioned many people. people are doing the same thing the joy now.

I don't know which kid(s) will rebel, which ones will quietly or gradually drft off, and which ones will stick with the program. But with nineteen kids, some are bound to turn out differently.

Halle Berry is having her second child, not her 20th, which even at 46 should make some difference.

Also its highly likely that Halle has had a trainer & a personal chef since she was in her early 20s. Making her much, much fitter & healthier than J'chelle.

I think you're giving John David a bit too much credit. He's a dugger/hick/slave only doing what dipshit and clowncar tell him to do.

I already like you.

I did, anyone know why the J boy had an eye patch on?

One of the commenters on the Duggars Blog post with the laundry said that it was because of a lazy eye. The poster was anonymous, though, so who knows how reliable that is.

Don't feel bad, I read it, too.

...Twice. *slinks away ashamedly*

Also its highly likely that Halle has had a trainer & a personal chef since she was in her early 20s. Making her much, much fitter & healthier than J'chelle.

I was thinking more of J'chele than Halle when I posted that. Halle is probably physically "younger" then J'Chele (and me).

But John is an adult, and if he wanted to court/get married while the show was still running, he could put his foot down and say he didn't want any of it filmed. It definitely does depend on his personality and how assertive he is, which is difficult to tell from what we see on the show. He definitely has more agency in the matter than he adult female siblings, though. :(

This is true, but I think in a way his female siblings might have more of a chance, because if they marry a man who then refuses to have his family appear on the show, they have a fundie-approved excuse. Of course, he couldn't refuse until after the wedding, otherwise Jim Boob would no doubt prohibit the daughter from marrying, but at least she'd be spared toilet birthing on TV. Then again, I think Jessa and Jinger, at least, like being fundie princesses, and they're far too immature to marry (though that sometimes seems like it's considered an asset in fundie wives).

Personally, I don't see Jill marrying anytime soon; she enjoys midwifery too much to give it up to have children, and she's too drunk on Kool Aid to marry and *not* give up midwifery. I'd love to see her and Jana open up a birthing centre together, though I wonder how they'd handle it if they got some feminist, left-wing single mother requesting their services :twisted: . I know Jana doesn't seem that keen on the doula/midwifery stuff but I think she'd enjoy the independence of running her own business, and if she becomes financially independent she might be comfortable standing up to her parents and leaving the show, though I don't think that's terribly likely as she seems to genuinely care about her family.

I think, in her head, Jill is preparing herself to marry a man who is a "missionary" someplace in Central America. He'll "missionary" and she'll deliver babies and "help" women. They'll have their own flock of "slaves" who will be cared for by one of the forgotten girls....

This is true, but I think in a way his female siblings might have more of a chance, because if they marry a man who then refuses to have his family appear on the show, they have a fundie-approved excuse. Of course, he couldn't refuse until after the wedding, otherwise Jim Boob would no doubt prohibit the daughter from marrying, but at least she'd be spared toilet birthing on TV. Then again, I think Jessa and Jinger, at least, like being fundie princesses, and they're far too immature to marry (though that sometimes seems like it's considered an asset in fundie wives)..

Regarding the female sibs, it's possible that they can get out of the show appearances if they marry and their new headship refuses to participate in the show after the wedding. Which is maybe why they haven't had any courtships. JB knows that if a J'slave marries and her husband says no, that's it. There's nothing he can do about it, and any potential new participants / material for the show is lost. Between ceding authority and control over a J'daughter to a husband who may not go along and the fact that the household loses a J'slave to help keep things running (and J'chelle relatively sane) I wouldn't be surprised if those are the real reasons for lack of courtships for the girls.

ETA: Another reason is that other fundie families may not want to be associated with the blasphemous Duggars. Those girls' options are really limited.

Why are all of Smugger and Anna's children's jender reveals a big deal? A cake for Mackynzie, a sky writer for Michael. Who knows what M3's will be? Even J'Chelle's were just showing the ultrasound and announcing what it was. I think Smugger requests that his children's jenders be announced in the most over the top way possible. Could you be more of a fame seeker than you already are, Smugger? What makes you and Anna so special that your kids jender reveals have to be an over the top spectacle? Do you think we care?

Archived