IGNORED

What's for dinner?

Koala

How did the naan go? I've never managed it successfully :(

Same :( It was interesting? Not really going to work unless I install a clay oven. It vaguely tasted right just not the right blackened crunch. Also...it took 2 hrs what with all rising malarkey, sod that my local Indian restaurant does it way better :)

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same :( It was interesting? Not really going to work unless I install a clay oven. It vaguely tasted right just not the right blackened crunch. Also...it took 2 hrs what with all rising malarkey, sod that my local Indian restaurant does it way better :)

If you decide to give the naan another go, consider baking it on a preheated pizza stone or cooking it on top of the stove in a cast iron skillet (or on a cast iron grill pan). I make it all the time and that's the only way it comes out well!

ETA: I'm making turkey sandwiches with chipotle mayonnaise on Parmesan focaccia; it's a knock off of Panera's "Sierra turkey sandwich" and it's awesome. :D

Did you do the pizza stone in the oven on 'clean' mode? I've heard that works but i'm too scared that i will burn myself/house down to actually try it.

Did you do the pizza stone in the oven on 'clean' mode? I've heard that works but i'm too scared that i will burn myself/house down to actually try it.

I can't do that on my oven because it has to cool down before I can open it up again (stupid automatic locks). :( I just heat it up to 450 F or so about 30 minutes before I'm ready to use it. Any hotter and I have a hard time getting the interior cook right. (I'm also a fan of buttering the dough before baking it rather than after. Nomnom!)

Cheese on potatoes. Like cheese on toast, but using baked potatoes that I've smashed and layered with tomato, red onion and cheese. Am tempted to use the last of the sour cream on top but I'm having a chocolate milkshake for dessert. Possibly the sour cream will tip the meal over from naughty and kind of fun to artery hardening heart attack territory.

2 oranges, an apple and a bowl of yoghurt and honey. Rather have a chicken tikka, but I'll make up for it with raspberry white chocolate for pud.

Well, I was pretty surprised to see this chatter forum show up! I had forgotten that after 75 posts I would see this... cool.

Ahem.

How about leftover pizza, a couple of snags and tub of yoghurt? That is what we just had. Planning on cooking an extravaganza tomorrow to make it up to hubby for being so sweet today.

Large bowl of mixed salad, with some peas, and crispy bacon on top.

It's nice living alone and not having to worry about what other people want to eat!

Large bowl of mixed salad, with some peas, and crispy bacon on top.

It's nice living alone and not having to worry about what other people want to eat!

It's nice living alone and not worrying about when other people want to eat :D. Working on an essay all evening so have just gotten around to eating dinner while watching Scissor Sisters clips on Youtube. Had wholemeal pasta with feta, broccoli, enormous green olives and tomatoes. Tasty.

We just got home from 3 days of camping, so we're going easy. Black Bean Burgers topped with Jalapeño Cayenne Cheese and homemade Guacamole with a side of Sweet Potato Fries. The guacamole was to help motivate us through the unpacking, but it will go nicely on top of the burgers, too.

I had two magnificent hand made hotdogs from a local charcuterie, on hand made WW rolls. I steamed them with some of the best in the jar sauerkraut I have ever had. Oh and a nice bottle of Dead Guy.

Canadian Thanksgiving - even better because I only prepared one dish:

Chicken and stuffing (no one likes turkey), prime rib, scalloped potatoes, shredded cabbage (Grandma's Ukrainian and it was at her house), squash casserole (my dish, it's basically squash with sour cream with a stuffing topping - vary fundy-ish), green beans, yams, green salad with coriander dressing, apple pie with maple ice cream. I am now sluggish and my blood sugar's probably through the roof.

Guest Anonymous
Canadian Thanksgiving - even better because I only prepared one dish:

Chicken and stuffing (no one likes turkey), prime rib, scalloped potatoes, shredded cabbage (Grandma's Ukrainian and it was at her house), squash casserole (my dish, it's basically squash with sour cream with a stuffing topping - vary fundy-ish), green beans, yams, green salad with coriander dressing, apple pie with maple ice cream. I am now sluggish and my blood sugar's probably through the roof.

I'm jealous, that sounds lovely.

I had some sharp cheddar with Tabby style matzo (triscuits!) and an apple.

I was in the mood for freezer pizza after talking about them on another thread, but what I thought were the last of the most recent batch of freezer pizzas were actually a couple of raisin bagels. Gutted.

Nachos with beans and yoghurt instead of sour cream for me. Never underestimate the value of presoaked, cooked and frozen beans when it comes to building a deliciously junky meal.

Guest Anonymous

There is a huge variation in price and sizes, the red one is funky. Also...when I clicked the link I am told JC Penney now ship to the UK...Cool..will browse later :D

You can get a reasonably decent slow cooker for £10ish from somewhere like Tesco or Asda. 3.5l version will serve 4-6 comfortably.

You can get a reasonably decent slow cooker for £10ish from somewhere like Tesco or Asda. 3.5l version will serve 4-6 comfortably.

It seems to be really popular on the recipe thread here. When I asked around most said they got them as wedding presents in the 70's a bit like fondue, maybe it will become popular again here.

Tonight I am making bog standard chicken and rice. :(

Chicken with garlic and lemon, and potatoes and sprouts :) I'm staying with my mum, she's an amazing cook.

That's sort of what I'm having tonight. I'm making Grandma Pizza, one plain and one with thinly sliced red onions, red peppers, shitakes, and kalamata olives. And I'm on my second glass of Valpolicella.

I'm making this again, because it was that good.

Archived