IGNORED

What's for dinner?

Koala

We went to the National Apple Harvest Festival today, and ate way too much to think about dinner tonight. The best thing I had was an Apple Sausage sandwich with Sauerkraut and Apple Butter. OMG, it was delicious.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We went to the National Apple Harvest Festival today

So fricking jealous.

ETA - Husband just said we could road trip next year and go! Woot!

Trying to decide between this pumpkin recipe and this egg recipe.

afghancooking.net/afghan-culture-unveiled/2011/11/index.html

thespicespoon.com/blog/eggs/

Maybe i"ll do the eggs for breakfast, IDK. Any opinions?

That pumpkin looks so tasty! I'd have it with millet. Yum.

Never thought about spicing yoghurt with garlic powder - usually I have it plain on my curries or use it to make tzatziki for Greek/Turkish food.

I've got a sort of chicken in cream thing and garlic potatoes, but watching Scotland getting humped by Belgium in the football is putting me off.

Did Harvest Lunch for all my family on Sunday.

Roast beef and little Yorkshire puddings; crispy roast potatoes; roasted yellow courgettes with chilli and tomato; braised red cabbage with apple, onion and gin; amazonka pumpkin baked with cream, cheese and breadcrumb topping; steamed leeks turned in the beef juices; stir-fried green cabbage; mushroom, ham and parsley stuffing (dressing); candied carrots with kalonji; white bean puree with fresh thyme; and gravy. All the veg ours except the mushrooms.

After that I had a nap!

Did Harvest Lunch for all my family on Sunday.

Roast beef and little Yorkshire puddings; crispy roast potatoes; roasted yellow courgettes with chilli and tomato; braised red cabbage with apple, onion and gin; amazonka pumpkin baked with cream, cheese and breadcrumb topping; steamed leeks turned in the beef juices; stir-fried green cabbage; mushroom, ham and parsley stuffing (dressing); candied carrots with kalonji; white bean puree with fresh thyme; and gravy. All the veg ours except the mushrooms.

After that I had a nap!

Pumpkin recipe please. :D

Oh, ok, but it's not very good for you . . . hangs head in shame

Take one small pumpkin - the small Amazonka type was great for six of us - peel it, chop it into chunks, and either steam or microwave it until it's tender. Season it up with a little salt, freshly ground pepper, and garlic powder (I get mine in a mill) and put it in a buttered shallow ovenproof dish. Pour over a half and half mix of double (I think you'd use heavy) cream and milk, until it's about halfway up the pumpkin, top with grated mature cheddar and fresh breadcrumbs and bake until golden. Dust with finely chopped flat leaf parsley before serving.

When I'm not feeding my mother I add chopped fresh green chili, and if I'm short of hard cheese, I put dollops of mascarpone or cream cheese as well as whatever cheese I've got on top. It also works well with Gruyere on top, and a bit of parmesan never goes amiss. You can do the same thing with butternut squash or winter acorn squash.

If we're not having a roast, we have this, and the beans, plus a green and a tomato salad, for a main veggie meal.

Take one small pumpkin - the small Amazonka type was great for six of us - peel it, chop it into chunks, and either steam or microwave it until it's tender. Season it up with a little salt, freshly ground pepper, and garlic powder (I get mine in a mill) and put it in a buttered shallow ovenproof dish. Pour over a half and half mix of double (I think you'd use heavy) cream and milk, until it's about halfway up the pumpkin, top with grated mature cheddar and fresh breadcrumbs and bake until golden. Dust with finely chopped flat leaf parsley before serving.

When I'm not feeding my mother I add chopped fresh green chili, and if I'm short of hard cheese, I put dollops of mascarpone or cream cheese as well as whatever cheese I've got on top. It also works well with Gruyere on top, and a bit of parmesan never goes amiss. You can do the same thing with butternut squash or winter acorn squash.

If we're not having a roast, we have this, and the beans, plus a green and a tomato salad, for a main veggie meal.

Any tips on peeling pumpkins? I just had a hell of a time trying to peel one. Not sure if my veggie peeler is just dull, or if the skin was too thick for it.

TY I'll add the green chili as well. I was planning on using my acorns since they are cluttering up varied places in the hovel. :D

Peeling pumpkins: Some I chop into large pieces with a Chinese cleaver, microwave in their skins and scoop out if I want to mash them, but this one I wanted in chunks, so I chopped it into bits with the cleaver before I cooked it, and then put each piece flat side down on the chopping board so I could slice the skin off in strips with a sharp vegetable knife (mine has a slight curve in it, which makes it easier.)

I've never managed one successfully with a vegetable peeler, they can't get through the skin. And for the initial chopping, I do use an old sweet iron (i.e. not stainless steel) cleaver that I can sharpen with a steel, not a knife: I can't apply enough pressure to the hard-skinned winter squash and pumpkin with an ordinary knife.

I love kale sauted with garlic. I'm growing cavolo nero, Tuscan black kale, to do that with later.

Orange Banana Coconut Smoothie- orange slices, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/2 cup orange juice, 1 banana, 1tbsp chia seeds.

Seems to be the only thing I want is smooth foods?

Orange Banana Coconut Smoothie- orange slices, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/2 cup orange juice, 1 banana, 1tbsp chia seeds.

Seems to be the only thing I want is smooth foods?

That sounds so good. I'd add a wedge of pineapple though. Possibly at that point I'd throw in rum since it would be offset by the healthy chia seeds.

Grilled chicken sandwiches with roasted red peppers that we'll do alongside and some garlic and herb mayo. I think I have another bag of sweet potato waffle fries in the freezer that I'll throw in the oven, too.

Archived